rscaife1682
Topic Author

US FA's Turning Into Barclays Bank Sales Reps

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:57 pm

Morning all

I am on a US flight from PHL-ORD and I am noticing some major sales techniques from the flight attendants. Do you guys know if the FA's receive an incentive on the filled out application forms for the Barclays Bank US Airways Mastercard?

Some good/funny lines:

"Ladies and Gentleman.......just for this flight only today we have a special award for you........blah blah apply for the Barclay US Airways Mastercard.........please keep in mind that this offer is not available on all flights"  

The FA walking thought the isle with the application forms "Please take 2 and you and your wife fill out an application and then you will not just have 40000 miles you will have 80000 miles"

Feels like US Airways FA's might have had some sales training from Barclays Bank  

max550

RE: US FA's Turning Into Barclays Bank Sales Reps

Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:16 pm

I got the same thing a month ago on FLL-CLT and CLT-MDT (both flights said "just for this flight"). Quite obnoxious IMO. I always take my headphones off when there's any sort of announcement on the PA just in case it's something important so it was irritating to get a sales pitch. I have no idea whether they get an incentive or not.
Can't complain though, I haven't flown US (mainline) in years and I was very impressed with all of their employees.

HPRamper

Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:12 pm

Eh, all the airlines are getting more and more aggressive in selling their credit cards. US has been doing this for a while now, it's not really that big of a deal. No more annoying than getting heckled by the kiosk people at every airport.

timf

Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:12 pm

This sounds no different than what happens on Delta with American Express.

humanitarian

Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:14 pm

I had to experience this on US and Alaska. Very irritating because you are trapped. We pay for a transportation service and should not be subjected to this. Need to file a complaint with US DoT about this practice. At Alaska one F/A told me they get extra money for doing this and that is why some will and others won't because they believe it is wrong.

etops1

Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:34 pm

I am a FA for US and yes , We get $50 each time an application is approved . I on the other hand don't really participate in this . I should but I am too lazy to answer questions about the offer and I hate it my self when I am non revving and the FA go crazy on the intercom with it . It's annoying to say the least . We have a scripted announcement we are supposed to say but some fa's take it to the extreme .

airportugal310

Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:57 pm

Quoting etops1 (Reply 5):
I am a FA for US and yes , We get $50 each time an application is approved . I on the other hand don't really participate in this . I should but I am too lazy to answer questions about the offer and I hate it my self when I am non revving and the FA go crazy on the intercom with it . It's annoying to say the least . We have a scripted announcement we are supposed to say but some fa's take it to the extreme .

Thanks for the insight.

Sounds like to me like if one needs the extra cash, then they peddle the apps. If not (and I would probably be one of them, who like you is too lazy to care) then I wouldnt even bother.
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

ikramerica

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:09 pm

Quoting max550 (Reply 1):
I got the same thing a month ago on FLL-CLT and CLT-MDT (both flights said "just for this flight"). Quite obnoxious IMO.

Also fraud.

It's not just for that flight. So it's a false inducement.

The only thing "just for this flight" is that if you apply later, that particular F/A won't get $50...  
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

gigneil

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:16 pm

Quoting Humanitarian (Reply 4):
Need to file a complaint with US DoT about this practice.

Its definitely not illegal, so good luck with that.

NS

BC77008

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:21 pm

I love when I'm walking through the airport in my FA uniform and I'm barked at by a Chase representative about how if I apply for the UA Chase card I can get a free flight!! Ummmm..... no thank you.
"He waited his whole damn life to take that flight. And as the plane crashed down he thought 'Well isn't this nice...'"

boeing773er

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:25 pm

Quoting Humanitarian (Reply 4):

So I should sue Macy's because last night when I was purchasing my items they offered me a credit card?

But this is a tad bit annoying and I had the same expirence. Last time I flew US from EWR-PHX the FA's started their sales pitch 45 minuites before we landed. Not pleasant when your trying to sleep....
Work Hard, Fly Right.

HPRamper

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:40 pm

Quoting Boeing773ER (Reply 10):
But this is a tad bit annoying and I had the same expirence. Last time I flew US from EWR-PHX the FA's started their sales pitch 45 minuites before we landed. Not pleasant when your trying to sleep....

That's unusual. Normally it seems to be shortly after the plane levels off at altitude, or at least once it comes out of the initial climb after takeoff.

AWACSooner

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:49 pm

I always just tell them "I already have (that) credit card." That shuts them up.

OB1504

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:38 pm

Spirit does the same on their flights, even the quick FLL-MCO hops. I've gotten used to it by now.

Tugger

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:55 pm

But I thought that by law we must follow the crew members instruction? Seems we would have to fill one out if so directed, certainly would increase their incentive fee....   

Tugg  
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

LOWS

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:15 pm

And to think a friend of mine got upset when Lufthansa sent him an email about the credit card...

deltairlines

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:32 pm

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 11):

That's unusual. Normally it seems to be shortly after the plane levels off at altitude, or at least once it comes out of the initial climb after takeoff.

On longer flights I've been on, it wouldn't be uncommon for them to make the announcement 45-60 minutes out.

Granted, I tended to fly on shorter flights from Phoenix to Southern California or Las Vegas, so on those flights it tended to be right at the top of the descent (as that's pretty much when the beverage service ended).

humanitarian

Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:19 am

So I should sue Macy's because last night when I was purchasing my items they offered me a credit card?

In Macy's I can just walk away, but that is not possible in an aircraft at 30,000 ft.

airportugal310

Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:28 am

Quoting Humanitarian (Reply 17):
In Macy's I can just walk away, but that is not possible in an aircraft at 30,000 ft.

You have a mouth...use it to say "no thank you"
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

cha747

Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:39 am

The airlines are turning FA's into Sales Reps....period, end of story. If it's $50 a pop for every credit card, what other products and services will be offered to a captive audience in a flying cigar tube? Worse, will a percentage of buy-on-board food/beverage go to the seller, ie the FA? Seems to me that unless it has to do with passenger safety, passenger health, or airline customer service, the FA's should not be doing really anything other than concentrating on one thing....my safety.
You land a million planes safely, then you have one little mid-air and you never hear the end of it - Pushing Tin

AY104

Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:50 am

Very sad that this is what seems to be happening everywhere. One cannot even use the sidewalk without being subjected to some kind of solicitation.

Another good reason for me not to travel much any more. I used to love flying. It was a time for me to unwind. I was 40 or so thousand feet in the air, and for those few hours I could do absolutely nothing about any issues or worries I may have had on the ground. A good book, a drink, and maybe some of my own music. Didn't need any infllight entertainment.

The last few flights I was on, found me seated near misbehaving children or boorish adults. One is just as bad as the other. Turning flight attendants into Sales Reps may be a sign of the times, but thankfully I don't have to be part of it. I find the whole social aspect of travelling by air to be very emotionally draining at the best of times, and this only makes it worse.

I do empathize with people who must subject themselves to the ordeal of air travel. We all have choices in life. It is up to each of us to do what makes us happiest. Sometimes, that means giving up a lot, making sacrifices. One of my sacrifices is to choose to learn how to enjoy spending more time around home, and to almost give up travelling. Especially by air.

Sorry, if I seem to be getting a bit off topic. But I do have to agree with most of the posters on this thread, that this practice of selling by FA's in the air is both ridiculous and totally uncacceptable.

Cheers,
Carl
The only thing a customer should expect for his/her loyalty is good service

FURUREFA

Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:53 am

Same with American Express for DL employees (Airport Customer Service, In-flight, etc.)

silentbob

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:31 am

Last time I came back from the Caribbean, I had 11 announcements regarding the credit card. That's in addition to the regular announcements made over the course of the flight. A couple quick passes through the cabin with food and drinks, then at least 8-10 with the credit card applications as well.

EA CO AS

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:41 am

Quoting rscaife1682 (Thread starter):
Do you guys know if the FA's receive an incentive on the filled out application forms for the Barclays Bank US Airways Mastercard?

Yes (as answered above) and most airlines are doing this now; it's a mutually-beneficial relationship for the bank and the airline.

Quoting cha747 (Reply 19):
Seems to me that unless it has to do with passenger safety, passenger health, or airline customer service, the FA's should not be doing really anything other than concentrating on one thing....my safety.

And there are some customers who would say that being offered an affinity card that provides benefits on that carrier IS a part of airline customer service. I fail to see how offering someone a credit card application - one you're free to decline - somehow compromises your safety.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Flighty

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:44 am

Quoting rscaife1682 (Thread starter):
Do you guys know if the FA's receive an incentive on the filled out application forms for the Barclays Bank US Airways Mastercard?

How could anybody take any US flight in the last 5 years, and not know that? Stomach churning. Really, really hate that practice. It's basically them peeing all over their own in-flight product, which supposedly is what they sell. Supposedly.

RyanairGuru

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:51 am

I am a FA for US and yes , We get $50 each time an application is approved . I on the other hand don't really participate in this . I should but I am too lazy to answer questions about the offer

I work for the Australian equivalent of Macy's, and we have the same policy: we should offer it to every customer who comes to the register. We get $50 for each activated card.

I generally don't offer it unless we have a special promotion on (we sometime do things like 30% off for cardholders, and if you apply on the day you are also entitled to that offer).

As well as simple "laziness" (to use etops1's word) I also don't offer it because:

(a) IMHO good customer service is offering the customer exactly what the want, and trying to rope them into buying/signing up for something they don't want/need devalues the customer's experience

(b) If they wanted a credit card they would go to a bank, not a department store

Unfortunately the bean counters at the top disagree on both points.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

PacificClipper

Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:52 am

For comparison sake, try logging into any UA website (ua.com, unitedhub, etc.), walking through a UA terminal, opening Hemispheres, looking in your seatback pocket, listening to FA announcements and in some cases, looking at your meal tray & see if you can escape a MileagePlus Chase card offer. Ever since the post-merger branded cards were launched it's been an all out assault .... pushing these cards at every turn. Total overkill and completely annoying.
Fly Beautiful :: 747

EA CO AS

Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:49 am

Quoting PacificClipper (Reply 26):
Total overkill and completely annoying.

And yet, totally helps the airline to continue offering fares at the current levels instead of raising them.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

ghifty

Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:19 am

Annoying, yes. But you already paid for your ticket and the doors are closed.. even if it annoys some passengers, it doesn't matter.
Fly Delta Jets

bjorn14

Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:03 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 25):
Unfortunately the bean counters at the top disagree on both points

Yep.They claimed that some departments stores make 25% of their income from credit cards.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

RyanairGuru

Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:08 am

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 29):
They claimed that some departments stores make 25% of their income from credit cards.

We get 40% of our revenue from "financial services" (read: Amex). Admittedly retail is in a hole at the moment and it would probably be less than that in a 'good' year, but even so... I guess I can't blame the management, after all they're answerable to the shareholders.
Worked Hard, Flew Right