d93
Topic Author

Rumor-Delta Considering Leaving Skyteam!

Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:57 pm

My brother in law is a 777 pilot. He said there are rumblings that Delta may consider leaving Skyteam and forming a new alliance with strategic carriers. Delta is looking to position themselves as the "Tiffany" carrier in the US, and align itself with other carriers with the same goals and reputation. He said Emirates and the different Virgin airlines were mentioned, as well as picking off Qantas and BA from One World given the uncertainty with AA.

He also mentioned a complete change to Skymiles, designing it specifically for corporate and high spend travelers and not to the benefit of low spend mileage runners or segment flyers. Lastly he also mentioned cutbacks in capacity to reflect the focus on high dollar high margin travelers.

I'm shocked

ikramerica

RE: Rumor-Delta Considering Leaving Skyteam!

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:00 pm

Just remember, pilots know very little about the future plans of their airline...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

hiflyer

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:01 pm

may be april 1 on your brother's phone 

SkyTeam is DL's creation and the second largest of all the alliances

Independence76

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:02 pm

This simply will not happen. Delta is to SkyTeam as AA is to Oneworld as Lufthansa is to Star Alliance.

I think ATL already has multiple sufficient SkyTeam connections, so they gives Delta little or no reason to start a new alliance from scratch.

SASMD82

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:06 pm

Quoting hiflyer (Reply 2):

I agree with you, the first real 1 April joke around on the A-net!  

No way that DL - as a money-losing airline - establish a new alliance with profitable alone-standing (4-star) airlines such as Virgin and Emirates. Forget about a corporation between VS and BA, I don't believe that.

Anyway, in this difficult era for aviation, we can never say 'never'.

ikramerica

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:11 pm

DL isn't losing money. And VS isn't a 4-star airline anymore is it?
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Curiousflyer

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:21 pm

Unlikely. I doubt pilots would even say this. On top of this DL is in a JV with ST partners AFKL, sharing all profits over the Atlantic. This would be very complicated to dismantle. Also all ST airlines are in the process of adopting DL's Sky Priority program for elite and premium passengers.

None of this points to DL leaving Skyteam. It is also a great advantage for DL to be ST's only US airline now they let CO out a few yers ago, it lets them get all the benefits of codeshares to/from/in the US.

burnsie28

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:25 pm

After all the recent work we are currently doing with SkyTeam and the other stuff we are adding, we're not leaving, if we were we would not be one of the first to roll out the new Sky Priority.

Quoting SASMD82 (Reply 4):
No way that DL - as a money-losing airline - establish a new alliance with profitable alone-standing (4-star) airlines such as Virgin and Emirates. Forget about a corporation between VS and BA, I don't believe that.

Money losing?? guess our books were wrong on our $1.2 billion profit for 2011

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1532

blueflyer

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:28 pm

I could perhaps, in a distant far away world, see EK enter into some sort of an alliance with a US carrier, but I can't see in this life or the next BA and EK ever being partners. What could BA bring to EK that they can't do, and don't do already, on their own?

And that doesn't even address the hell-freezes-over likelihood of an alliance including BA and Virgin anything.

[Edited 2012-03-20 12:30:13]
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

bastew

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:28 pm

I can see some sort of tie up with DL and VS. I reckon either VS will join Skyteam or will apply with ATI for joint transatlantic operations with DL.

I can imagine all the alliances are courting the middle eastern mega carriers as well. But I don't think they are interested at the moment. Part of being in an alliance is not stepping on the toes of your partners and I don't think EK etc will want to consult with anyone outside their airline as to where they launch new destinations to. Though again, perhaps on some routes they will operate codeshares/joint operations etc. Or indeed buy shares of airlines which is what Etihad is seemingly doing at the moment. That in itself could shake things up among the alliances. Bearing in mind that Etihad has just brought a chunk of Air Berlin, a OneWorld carrier and also launched a Joint Venture between Australia and Abu Dhabi and beyond with Virgin Australia....an airline about as anti OneWorld that one could imagine.

FlyASAGuy2005

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:29 pm

One word...BULL

HAve a nice day  
What gets measured gets done.

SASMD82

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:40 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 5):

DL isn't losing money.
Quoting burnsie28 (Reply 7):
Money losing?? guess our books were wrong on our $1.2 billion profit for 2011

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43...=1532

Guys, you are completely right. I was thinking of AMR.....they are definitely losing money, DL is indeed profitable.

bobnwa

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:47 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 1):
Just remember, pilots know very little about the future plans of their airline...

Exactly, pilots are probably the least informed of any employee group from their airline regarding any info beside actually flying the aircraft

TWA85

Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:15 pm

If DL wanted to be in an alliance with BA and QF so bad, they would be better off proposing a Skyteam/Oneworld merger. I can actually see this happening some time in the not so distant future as it would create a more even global balance between Star and Skyteam/Oneworld.

timf

Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:25 pm

Why would Delta want to partner with the Virgin airlines at the same time as picking off QF and BA from oneworld? These airlines are major competitors and would never end up in the same alliance. This rumor just sounds like a lot of misinformation that has suffered the telephone effect while being passed from person to person. Adding more carriers like Virgin and Emirates (a long shot) to SkyTeam? Sure. Ditching all the existing partners and starting fresh? Dream on.

bohica

Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:27 pm

may be april 1
first real 1 April joke around on the A-net!
Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 10):
.BULL

I learned a long time ago never to believe any rumor that comes from the cockpit or the galley.  

Acey559

Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:33 pm

Quoting bobnwa (Reply 12):
Exactly, pilots are probably the least informed of any employee group from their airline regarding any info beside actually flying the aircraft

No kidding. I learned about the AMR bankruptcy HERE before I ever heard word from the company, and I continue to receive the bulk of my bankruptcy info from the USA Today. And as stated, pilots aren't to be trusted when it comes to rumors. On long flights a favorite pastime for many of us is trying to come up with amusing rumors and see how long it takes it to show up around the company and the internet.  

deltal1011man

Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:54 pm

This.
Though its a nice change from the DFW hub rumor that gets fired up 4 times a year.   
New airliners.net web site sucks.

shamrock604

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:13 pm

Delta wants to be the "Tiffany" US Carrier???

As much as I love Delta, and really I do, they have quite a way to go....

einsteinboricua

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:30 pm

Quoting d93 (Thread starter):
Delta is looking to position themselves as the "Tiffany" carrier in the US

Well...they are the Deltalina carrier in the US...why would they want to be the Tiffany carrier?  duck 

[Edited 2012-03-20 16:22:24]
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

cbphoto

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:30 pm

nonsense... you forgot the flight attendant group  

If I had a nickle for every rumor a pilot told me that did not come true, I would be a billionaire by now!
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

penguins

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:35 pm

The title says all: RUMOR.

WROORD

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:54 pm

I can see changes to Skymiles program, the rest well .....unfounded.

aerorobnz

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:01 pm

Highly unlikely.

The only thing I will say is that handpicking strategic partners outside of alliances are becoming increasingly important to carriers, but a carrier like DL will never leave a big alliance that they formed. Potentially they may look to create non-skyteam partners that suit their own carrier's requirements and not sky team as a whole, but ultimately it would be to supplement the skyteam alliance not to detract from it.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

Bobloblaw

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:10 pm

My brother in law is a 777 pilot.

Yeah there is a credible source.

Tiffany" carrier in the US, and align itself with other carriers with the same goals and reputation

The US markets is commodity driven as far as airlines go. "Tiffany" type carriers have been tried before and have failed. We'll see how long the "Tiffany" type branding and service last once Spirit and their hundreds of A320s begin really trashing the US market in the mid 2010s.

He also mentioned a complete change to Skymiles, designing it specifically for corporate and high spend travelers and not to the benefit of low spend mileage runners or segment flyers

This I can see happening as the number of US legacies declines. In Canada discount fare travellers on AC, dont get the full miles flown.

LOWS

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:30 pm

Quoting bobloblaw (Reply 25):
This I can see happening as the number of US legacies declines. In Canada discount fare travellers on AC, dont get the full miles flown.

That's how its been in Europe (Miles&More, FlyingBlue, eg.) for some time. Also flights don't earn the exact miles flown, but instead preset levels based on your fare class and awarded by segment.

PHX787

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:33 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 20):
Well...they are the Deltalina carrier in the US...why would they want to be the Tiffany carrier?

hahahahahaha yeeaaahh Who needs "Tiffany" when you got Deltalina 

In all seriousness, I see no use for DL leaving Skyteam.....

UNLESS a merger with AA is looming      
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

aaexecplat

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:54 pm

Seriously...DL leaving Skyteam and cherrypicking off BA and VS...that won't have any regulatory hurdles at all...and they'll probably do that right after they cherry pick all the best assets from AA during their bk process without any other carrier (incl AA) or investment group interfering.

What planet do you live on?

AAIL86

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:57 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 28):

Right on - unless Delta merged with AA and the new airline decided on oneworld. There's no reason at all for DL to leave Skyteam otherwise.... it would be crazy and suicidal!

Galley talk is and always will be mostly rumor.
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason - Benjamim Franklin

RyanairGuru

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:02 am

the different Virgin airlines were mentioned, as well as picking off Qantas and BA from One World given the uncertainty with AA.

I don't for a moment think it was happening, but was thinking that as a paper concept it wasn't a bad idea until this statement.

British Airways and Virgin Atlantic, and Qantas and Virgin Australia are renowned for their desire to cooperate with each other  
Worked Hard, Flew Right

lhr380

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:17 am

Take BA and QF from Oneworld? The 2 founding airlines.

HAHAHAHA...
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

ghifty

Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:33 am

Interesting. But why would DL, or any carrier for that matter, have to leave whatever their alliance they're currently in to improve their service levels? Can't they just do that on their own accord?
Fly Delta Jets

lightsaber
Crew

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:38 am

Seriously,
Who would DL partner with to replace AF/KL and KE?

Let's focus on Europe, DL could only switch to a partner who has a hub with * significant* open slot? Who could that be?   

I'm big into game theory. 1st rule is 'what's in it for DL and what would it cost them?'

Quoting AAIL86 (Reply 30):
Quoting PHX787 (Reply 28):

Right on - unless Delta merged with AA and the new airline decided on oneworld. There's no reason at all for DL to leave Skyteam otherwise.... it would be crazy and suicidal!

The only possible alternative is if DL bought AA... Good luck getting that one through anti-trust intact.   

I agree with you, the first real 1 April joke around on the A-net!

My thought too.

Someone set their clock too far ahead for 'spring forward.'  

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

ASA

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:43 am

My brother in law is a 777 pilot. He said there are rumblings that Delta may consider leaving Skyteam and forming a new alliance with strategic carriers.

I thought drinking and flying were a no-no ?!!     

nyc2theworld

Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:09 am

Quoting bobloblaw (Reply 25):
Quoting lightsaber (Reply 34):
Let's focus on Europe, DL could only switch to a partner who has a hub with * significant* open slot? Who could that be?

I'm big into game theory. 1st rule is 'what's in it for DL and what would it cost them?'

Seriously who? It would have to be enough to get someone else to make the effort to leave...and that is a lot to overcome.

LH?? Founding member of *A. UA would have to do a LOT worse than they are doing now to make that happen. (After all, all LH did was purchase 19% of B6 to protect their US interests during the UA Bankruptcy, and now have sold some of that off) They also own a good portion of central Europe.

BA?? No devent open slots at LHR and have the least % of slots for a carrier at their home airport. Not to mention they just signed an ATI/JV with AA.

IB?? What business traffic to MAD would support DL funneling peope through MAD?

BD?? Being sold to BA...DL would have to make a significant investment into BD to keep them out of BA's hands?

VS?? No European conectivity.

I'm not sure who is left. Unless something really major happens negatively to AA during BK where DL could swoop in, I don't see DL leaving SkyTeam.
Always wonderers if this "last and final boarding call" is in fact THE last and final boarding call.

mayor

Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:16 am

[

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 1):

Been my experience that the pilot group is the least informed and the ones most likely to start BS rumors. Not gonna happen.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:34 am

I cant see this they are locked in to skyteam and AA is locked into oneworld and UA is locked into star. The frequent traveler would be the one hurt by such a move the left over players even if they could steal a few would be a weak network compared to skyteam. So many cities would be out of network not to mention how much it would cost to set up this whole new alliance. I have no doubt its a rumor in the pilot mill but it cant see it happening

PHX787

Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:43 am

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 33):
Seriously,
Who would DL partner with to replace AF/KL and KE?

Quoting nyc2theworld (Reply 35):
BA?? No devent open slots at LHR and have the least % of slots for a carrier at their home airport. Not to mention they just signed an ATI/JV with AA.

IB?? What business traffic to MAD would support DL funneling peope through MAD?

BD?? Being sold to BA...DL would have to make a significant investment into BD to keep them out of BA's hands?

VS?? No European conectivity.

DL's ops at CDG and AMS are exactly why they aren't leaving Skyteam, when you're strictly looking at European service. I don't think that there's any other American airline that operates as extensively in Europe as DL does, but of course, correct me if I'm wrong.

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 33):
The only possible alternative is if DL bought AA... Good luck getting that one through anti-trust intact.   

Exactly, and again another pointless reason to want to tag along with OW airlines like BA and QF.

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 30):
British Airways and Virgin Atlantic,

Are you being serious or sarcastic? I've seen a lot of posts recently with BA or VS blocking each others' expansion (most recently, into MAN, IIRC)

Quoting mayor (Reply 36):
Been my experience that the pilot group is the least informed and the ones most likely to start BS rumors.

Don't forget the baggage handlers. Every holiday, I hear an earful of odd news about DL from my uncle who works for OH. None of it seems to make sense.  
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

deltal1011man

Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:58 am

Quoting AAIL86 (Reply 29):

and even then I expect Oneworld and Skyteam to do more of a merger vs going at it without a US partner. (and most of the carriers would fit together.)

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 38):

Don't forget the baggage handlers. Every holiday, I hear an earful of odd news about DL from my uncle who works for OH. None of it seems to make sense.

no group is as bad as pilots.
I get a kick out one telling me at least once a week that we are taking the DFW hangar back. They just make s**t up that they want to happen.
New airliners.net web site sucks.

UAL777UK

Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:37 am

Wow, had to check my calender to make sure it was not April 1st! More chance of me being the next Pope than this happening..

The only way I can see DL changing Alliance would be if they purchased AA and then jumped into OW. And again my odds on being the Pope than that happening are shorter!!

RyanairGuru

Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:00 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 37):
sarcastic

Sarcastic hence the smiley.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

gulfstream650

Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:20 pm

And while they're at it they will seek to add G650s and BBJs to the fleet.  
I don't proclaim to be the best pilot in the world but I'm safe

incitatus

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:01 pm

Delta is looking to position themselves as the "Tiffany" carrier in the US

I really just love this analogy!

Tiffany carriers do not exist because they cannot survive. The business of large airlines is mass transportation. Tiffany is not "mass" jewelry.

The equivalent of Tiffany in air transportation is a business jet.
Stop pop up ads

pqdtw

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:34 pm

If Delta were considering being the "Tiffany" airline, it would not be rolling out new Fare Class E fares, which are now called Basic Economy. This is being rolled out between DTW and select cities in FL. The new fare class does not allow the customer to select a seat assignment, and seats will be assigned at check-in. After check-in, the passenger will not be able to have his/her seat changed by the agent, and a special message will appear at the top of the boarding pass with the phrase "No Seat Changes."

Just this alone will tell you that Delta is in business to move people and make money; it's not in business to be a niche carrier to a special segment of the population.

Also, as other posters have pointed out, Delta was a founding member of Skyteam, and if it were planning on leaving Skyteam, it would not have invested in all the infrastructure it has of late.

This thread is crazy rumor.

fxramper

Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:00 pm

Heard they are looking at merging with AA and would consider going to One World to make it happen.   

AAIL86

Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:00 pm

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 32):

Trust me, your preaching to the choir on that one! And don't even get me started on the surviving brand  
Quoting ual777uk (Reply 39):
Wow, had to check my calender to make sure it was not April 1st! More chance of me being the next Pope than this happening..

Agreed.... but who knows, maybe some white smoke is in your future??  
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason - Benjamim Franklin

fxramper

Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:09 pm

Quoting AAIL86 (Reply 45):
Trust me, your preaching to the choir on that one! And don't even get me started on the surviving brand

Lobbyists have already been feeling out the possibility of the AA/DL marriage. Would love to see it happen and have the AA livery survive. A DL 747 in AA livery would be great.   

brilondon

Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:16 pm

Quoting bobloblaw (Reply 24):

Yeah there is a credible source.

My thoughts exactly, I don't think that anybody working for the current airline would be of a great value information wise.

Quoting bobloblaw (Reply 24):
In Canada discount fare travellers on AC, dont get the full miles flown.

We also can opt out altogether for a few shekels off the price if you an aeroplan member.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

modesto2

Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:24 pm

Amusing rumor. As a former pilot, I learned long ago to never listen to pilot and flight attendant rumors. They think they know - but they rarely know. Amusing nonetheless  

bobnwa

Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:39 pm

Quoting fxramper (Reply 44):
Heard they are looking at merging with AA and would consider going to One World to make it happen.
Quoting fxramper (Reply 46):
Lobbyists have already been feeling out the possibility of the AA/DL marriage. Would love to see it happen and have the AA livery survive

And where do these rumors come from that is a reliable source? Please do not use A net as a reliable source.