B737900
Topic Author

Is It Dangerous Building Boeings In Everett?

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:48 am

Haven't seen this posted. If so please delete or move. Watching Seattle news this evening it is reported that last night (Monday) at Boeing Field in Everett an employee was caught between the flaps and spoilers of a 747. He sustained injuries. Not much details yet.
And last month, also in Everett, an employee was run over while working on an Air Bridge Cargo 787. KING 5 news talked with the 787 injured employee who is recovering with leg wounds. Boeing has been hiring lately and it was speculated (by KING news) that lack of training might have been the cause of these accidents.
Of course the union, the lawyers and Boeing are all wanting to get in front of the cameras to give their side. Watching this report made me realize that building airplanes could be a dangerous profession and hazardous to ones health.
How could this happen: being caught between flaps and spoilers on a 747 and being run over by a 787?
Sounds like a Beaver on floats..........we're saved!!

Stitch

RE: Is It Dangerous Building Boeings In Everett?

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:54 am

Quoting B737900 (Thread starter):
How could this happen: being caught between flaps and spoilers on a 747 and being run over by a 787?

It's called the Law of Averages.

Accidents happen every day at airports around the world. Folks just need to be more vigilant and aware of what's going on around them.

catiii

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:57 am

Watching this report made me realize that building airplanes could be a dangerous profession and hazardous to ones health.

Between the thread title, and this statement, I wonder if you're trying to be overly dramatic...

Everything in life, including manufacturing, has some level of inherent risk. Is it dangerous building airplanes in the city of Everett, Washington? No. Has Boeing had some accidents lately? Yes. Boeing has been in Everett since 1967, so a 45 year track record pretty much speaks for itself.

Good try though.  

DfwRevolution

Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:06 am

Heavy manufacturing is hazardous work. In general, all manufacturing industries are far safer than they were even ten years ago, but still not completely incident free. Any time you're on a shop floor, you have to keep your head on a swivel.

[Edited 2012-03-20 18:07:54]

DocLightning

Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:06 am

And last month, also in Everett, an employee was run over while working on an Air Bridge Cargo 787. KING 5 news talked with the 787 injured employee who is recovering with leg wounds.

As far as I am aware, no cargo variant of the 787 is on offer.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

B737900
Topic Author

Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:26 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 4):
As far as I am aware, no cargo variant of the 787 is on offer.

You are correct. I checked on-line and it apperars to be a JAL Dreamliner with a UNICEF logo. This was Feb. 3 and he was taken to the hospital in serious condition.

Quoting catiii (Reply 2):
Good try though

I'm not sure what you mean by that. I absolutely know that it is dangerous out there. I was a logger in Alaska for a short time. My reason for posting this was to perhaps find out how specifically something like this could happen. Regards

seabosdca

Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:29 am

Saw the thread title and assumed this was a thread about earthquakes (to which the Seattle area is quite susceptible, although PAE is much better positioned than BFI or RNT).

gweilo88

Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:42 am

I own a chain of shops selling handbags and shoes. We had 2 on the job injuries last year requiring trips to an emergency room. It's not like we are building machines bigger than my home there.
Considering the operation they have in Everett it doesn't sound too bad to me.

amccann

Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:46 am

Quoting dfwrevolution (Reply 3):
Any time you're on a shop floor, you have to keep your head on a swivel.

As well as wear your personal protective equipment...

Earplugs when necessary. However I personally recommend wearing earplugs at all times.
Eyewear at ALL times, no if's and's or but's.
Shoes at ALL times.
What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. - Ronald Reagan

rogercamel

Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:10 am

Working in a large manufacturing plant is not dissimilar from a construction site. Both are inherrently risky as you are dealing with incomplete structures/machines that are designed to be safe primarily when completed.

Given that these injuries have been reported in the news it would suggest that they are not common (if they were common, they wouldn't be news). I find it hard to believe that a company the size of Boeing, based in the USA, building planes - where safety in the air is paramount, would not extend the same to their factory employees on the ground.

Daysleeper

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:05 am

Everett is the combination of two potentially dangerous environments, it’s both a manufacturing area for very large, very heavy pieces of equipment and an airport. My experience of American companies is that they are incredibly pedantic when it comes to safety, I’d imagine that Boeing take every conceivable measure to ensure worker safety, but for the reasons I mentioned above there is always going to be an element of risk.

Bongodog1964

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:50 am

Building Boeings, or indeed anything will always have an element of danger involved, large structures, multiple personnel, moving machinery all contribute. Any company the size of Boeing will have procedures in place to minimise this risk, geberally they work. However you still have the human factor involved.
Its ill advised to speculate how someone can be trapped between the flaps and spoilers on a 747 when you aren't in full possesion of the facts, I think we can assume however that the worker didn't just walk past and fall in the gap, bearing in mind that they would need to be 15 feet off the ground in the 1st place.

There are many instances where people get injured through sheer stupidity, I recently saw a you tube clip of a large steel structure being lowered into a trailer with two men standing underneath in order to guide it into position, the trailer had solid sides and was 45 feet long, if a lifting strop slipped or snapped they stood no chance at all of getting out of the way. They must have thought their hard hats would protect them !!
I'm sure there would have been procedures in place on behalf of the site owners, the contractors, and the crane owners, yet it was still happening.
One of the 1st lessons I was taught on a local farm at the age of 13 was "never walk under a suspended load"

Companys such as Boeing will keep a constant eye on things to try and stop these sort of things happening, but with a workforce in tens of thousands it will always be difficult

SASMD82

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:35 pm

I was expecting something with earthquakes......

Although I doubt that Boeing will move, this could be a reason for Boeing to leave Everett for another city.

garpd

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:54 pm

And last month, also in Everett, an employee was run over while working on an Air Bridge Cargo 787. KING 5 news talked with the 787 injured employee who is recovering with leg wounds

That is an incident I still cannot fathom. The taxi speeds are so dang slow, did this guy simply lie there and watch the plane slowly creep toward him?

Anyone remember the scene when Ken runs Otto over with a steam roller in? That comes to mind with the above incident!

Bonus point goes to the first person to name the film reference!
arpdesign.wordpress.com

AirbusA370

Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:21 pm

Quoting garpd (Reply 13):
Bonus point goes to the first person to name the film reference!

A Fish Called Wanda  

PlaneAdmirer

Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:47 pm

when Ken runs Otto over with a steam roller

That's K-k-k-k-k-ken. Great movie. I love that scene.

Manufacturing airplanes and working around an airport can be dangerous. Who knew? I grew up working in an electro plating plant as a minor. One learns to be careful very quickly. Swinging a hammer is dangerous for some people too. What should be done?

I am with the others who thought this was about earthquakes.

B737900
Topic Author

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:01 pm

Quoting PlaneAdmirer (Reply 15):

When I posted this thread yesterday (Tuesday) earthquakes we the farthest thing from my mind. Although we have had some minor tremors here in the Pacific Northwest, nothing serious has shaken us recently.
My real reason was to ask how could someone get caught between the flaps and spoilers of a 747? I assume the flaps and spoilers were being "worked out" Perhaps somebody that works up there on the wing can shed some light. Regards to all.

9MMPQ

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:38 pm

Quoting B737900 (Reply 16):
My real reason was to ask how could someone get caught

Perhaps he was caught in a place he shouldn't have been in as they were doing test ? Or poor coordination during a test or a slip & fall. Until we hear more details, take your pick. But honestly work place accidents can happen everywhere. Sometimes because of the simplest or smallest mistakes, even if their not your own.

Can i say i was expecting kind of a thread ready to bash Boeing in Everett about something ? Reading all this I know you're only interested in the how & why though !
I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences.

SASMD82

Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:07 pm

Quoting B737900 (Reply 16):
When I posted this thread yesterday (Tuesday) earthquakes we the farthest thing from my mind. Although we have had some minor tremors here in the Pacific Northwest, nothing serious has shaken us recently.
My real reason was to ask how could someone get caught between the flaps and spoilers of a 747? I assume the flaps and spoilers were being "worked out" Perhaps somebody that works up there on the wing can shed some light. Regards to all.

Sorry, I disagree, the title of this thread suggest that there is something to do with the location where Boeing planes are made. The same would have applied to a title such as "Is it dangerous to build Airbus aircraft in Toulouse?"

Maybe it should be changed into "Is it dangerous to build an airplane?" That seems to be more logical to me.

I agree with you though how someone can be caught between the flaps and the spoilers......

northstardc4m

Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:32 pm

Quoting SASMD82 (Reply 18):
Maybe it should be changed into "Is it dangerous to build an airplane?" That seems to be more logical to me.

As my "safety training for the workplace" job guide says on the 1st page:
"Anytime a human must interact with something that can hurt them, accidents can happen. Most accidents can be avoided, but not all."
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

heathrow

Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:42 pm

I think the real question here is if AF is safe after all their accidents.....   

I would say their plant is no more safe than it always ways, and isn't any less safe than say Airbus or Bombardier. They may have had a couple incidents in the recent past, but it doesn't make them unsafe!

aogdesk

Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:48 pm

B737900, when I used to work on 727's, there were a couple of jobs that required that flaps be lowered to allow access to the rear wing spar area. One of those jobs was removing and replacing spoiler actuators which were often found leaking. It wasn't an easy job, and while I don't recall the specific steps, it made the job much easier to raise or lower the actuator using hydraulic power (3000PSI pressure). I recall being in between the flap and spoiler and my coworker controlling the actuator by the mechanism on the inboard side of the unit. His hand was slippery with Skydrol and came off the actuator, which caused it to drop immediately. Fortunately I saw it coming and ducked *quickly*. It would definitely have caused some damage.

Yes, things happen due to improper procedures, when jobs are particularly difficult, complacency, miscommunication, and a host of other causes. Simply dismissing them and claiming that its a numbers game is irresponsible. While I don't know the circumstances of the B787 event, I have most definitely seen the risk of severe incidents rise over the last few years as the experience levels of employees have dropped.

BMI727

Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:58 pm

Is It Dangerous Building Boeings In Everett?

Airports and factories are inherently dangerous places to work. Everyone has to always keep their head on a swivel, but sometimes these things do happen.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

rampart

Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:59 pm

Quoting PlaneAdmirer (Reply 15):

Same here. Or volcano. I was recalling the recent thread on renovating the terminals at SLC, one goal being to reach current codes for earthquakes.

-Rampart

threepoint

Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:14 pm

Anyone remember the scene when Ken runs Otto over with a steam roller in? That comes to mind with the above incident!

Well that's just plain silly: towing a brand new airplane over wet cement in Everett. Of course something/someone's going to get stuck!
Remember: the scene in the movie was airside and beside a couple of Boeing aircraft, this would be a great case of life imitating art.

[Edited 2012-03-21 11:15:13]
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

kc135topboom

Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:46 pm

Almost any workplace is dangerous to some degree. I remember the day, like it was yesterday, I had to give CPR and emergency first aid to my secretary who got a paper cut on her finger.........  Wow!

A few years ago an about to be delivered QR A-340-600 was doing a four engine near full thrust test, and ran up a blast fence, the cockpit drapping over to the other side. Four people were seriously injured, IIRC. But it still was an industrial accident at an airport, nothing more than that (well other than that airplane was scrapped).

SEA

Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:54 pm

I just pulled a muscle behind my knee on my job yesterday, does that mean my workplace is dangerous? No. Accidents happen.

gothamspotter

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:55 pm

And last month, also in Everett, an employee was run over while working on an Air Bridge Cargo 787

This week's incident was an Air Bridge 747.

The run-over incident was a JAL 787. That victim's legs had to be amputated.

tribird1011

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:57 pm

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 25):
about to be delivered QR A-340-600

Close, but it was Etihad, not Qatar...

B737900
Topic Author

Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:07 am

Quoting gothamspotter (Reply 27):
This week's incident was an Air Bridge 747.

You are right about that; I made the correction in a later post.
Hadn't heard about the amputation. Tragic indeed! Regards

BoeingGuy

Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:13 am

Quoting amccann (Reply 8):
Quoting dfwrevolution (Reply 3):
Any time you're on a shop floor, you have to keep your head on a swivel.

As well as wear your personal protective equipment...

Earplugs when necessary. However I personally recommend wearing earplugs at all times.
Eyewear at ALL times, no if's and's or but's.
Shoes at ALL times.

Yes, everyone. Unfortunately the 787 guy was apparently texting (and he wasn't in the factory).

This is kind of a really silly over-dramatic thread (sorry OP). It reminds me of the time AS had a turn-back to BOS because of an engine shutdown and someone posted about "How can this unsafe airline stay in business". Drama drama.

Two guys injured is way way too much, and very upsetting to all of us, especially their friends and families. You wouldn't believe the emphasis that we get on safety, even in the office workplace. One guy was tragically possibly distracted by texting. We'll find out what happened with the other incident. I'm quite sure that any corrections will be put in place, if deemed necessary.

I hardly think this is a worrisome trend, or even something worth discussing. It's about as accurate as the recent disgraceful article suggesting that the 737 is unsafe.

jetblueguy22

Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:29 am

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 30):
One guy was tragically possibly distracted by texting.

I'm sorry but I consider a tragedy someone being killed by a hangar collapse or getting caught in a machine. Texting while standing next to a taxiing or being towed aircraft is stupidity. Does he deserve all the pain and suffering caused to him? Absolutely not. But he should have been paying attention to where he was standing and not texting.
Back on topic. I think it's tough to even claim the factories are dangerous. With so many man hours being put into the assembly process it is tough to not have accidents. It doesn't make it okay but sadly things happen.
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

BoeingGuy

Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:41 am

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 31):

I'm sorry but I consider a tragedy someone being killed by a hangar collapse or getting caught in a machine.

Yes, it's stupidity and poor judgment but still a tragedy. I've done dumb things too and fortunately lived (and didn't hurt anyone else) and kept all my limbs. Most of us have made lapses in judgment and poor choices at times. Good people sometimes do dumb things, and most get to learn from it.

This guy, unfortunately was not so lucky. He made a very bad choice. Unfortunately, he didn't get to learn from it the easy way. He paid for it with his legs. In my book that's still a tragedy.

But yeah, when you consider that over 50 airplanes now roll out of Boeing factories a month and there have been so few injuries, I'd say it's a pretty darn safe place to work.

I'm not authorized to speak for Boeing, of course. I'm always speaking of my own personal opinions and observations, but I can tell you there is a lot of emphasis on safety. I work in an office environment and still have several mandatory on-line training classes every year about various aspects of safety.

B737900
Topic Author

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:46 am

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 31):
I'm sorry but I consider a tragedy someone being killed by a hangar collapse or getting caught in a machine

Well jetblueguy22 how about you telling that to the unfortunate fellow who lost his legs. So, as long as nobody is killed then it is not a tragedy. I couldn't disagree with you more. Who are you to call somebody stupid? My purpose in starting this thread was to start a discussion (as stated above) about how something like these accidents could happen in an industry that is so very safety conscience. Let's stop name calling. Regards to all.

AngMoh

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:14 am

Quoting B737900 (Reply 33):
Well jetblueguy22 how about you telling that to the unfortunate fellow who lost his legs. So, as long as nobody is killed then it is not a tragedy. I couldn't disagree with you more. Who are you to call somebody stupid? My purpose in starting this thread was to start a discussion (as stated above) about how something like these accidents could happen in an industry that is so very safety conscience. Let's stop name calling. Regards to all.

Most of these type of accidents happen when people fail to comply to safety rules.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 22):
Airports and factories are inherently dangerous places to work. Everyone has to always keep their head on a swivel, but sometimes these things do happen.

In my company, the attitude of "sometimes these thing do happen" gets you fired. And texting while moving a plane would definitely qualify for instant termination of employment, regardless if you got injured or not.

All large companies have a zero injury target and any injury resulting in a lost work-day is reported and acted upon - same for Boeing.
727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 739ER 742 743 744 752 762 772 773 77W A300 A310 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 A345 A346 A359 A388 DC-9 DC-10 MD11 MD81 MD82 MD87 F70 ERJ145 E175 E190 E195 ATR72 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 BAE146 RJ85

kanban

Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:47 am

Quoting B737900 (Reply 5):
My reason for posting this was to perhaps find out how specifically something like this could happen.

Safety at Boeing is a major concern and there is a great deal of time spent in Safety classes and inspections. Every shop has safety monitors who react to things from trip hazards to water on the floor, from safety glasses to failure to lock airstairs. And even then you will catch someone being stupid.. once had to bar a General Supervisor and customer from the production floor for not having safety glasses, and another time for walking under a fuselage section being craned across the plant and not wearing a hard hat.. not that it would have helped if the section dropped, however tools have occasionally rained down. I've seen line moves stopped because wing walkers were not wearing reflect vests and were without flashlights to signal the tug driver. Yes Boeing takes Safety very seriously both as a company and as employees. But there are those incidents where people don't think.. is that the company's fault?

And yes there are failures.. a crane cab running off the rails because the stops failed.. a snapped drill bit embedded in a pair of safety glasses within 1/4 of the wearer's eye, a Jetfoil that nearly sank when a mechanic forgot the boat was in the water and drilled a hole in the hull, and the most frequent test crews retracking the flaps or slats or cycling the landing gear because someone forgot to tag the controls while working on/in/under them.. Both recent incidents were preventable, and I bet you won't see them repeated soon.

bikerthai

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:44 pm

Quoting AngMoh (Reply 34):

In my company, the attitude of "sometimes these thing do happen" gets you fired.

In this case, this chap probably got some sort of a warning and will be placed in a different job when he gets back to work. The lost leg will limit the type of work he will be eligible for.

Don't have the statistic, but I think more people have died in construction accident in the Greater Seattle area recently than at Boeing. I am aware of two, a construction crane collapse and a dirt wall collapse. And away from construction, we had a propane tank explosion while the poor chap was loading the gas into his truck.

By comparison, I think I can recall more death by heart attacks at Boeing than by industrial accidents. Now you can say heart attacks are not "work related" but as pressure mounts toward CDR and people put in lots of overtime, the stress can be a contributing factor.

bt
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.

ajhYXE

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:55 pm

So, as long as nobody is killed then it is not a tragedy. I couldn't disagree with you more. Who are you to call somebody stupid?

"Tragedy" is a subjective word. It may mean something different to everyone.

I don't believe anyone was called stupid in this thread. Rather, the action taken by the employee (texting) has been referred to as stupid. Ultimately employees are responsible for their own safety. It was the his action and his action alone that caused this accident to happen. However, the punishment he received cannot be justified by any means in this (in my opinion) awful tragedy.

I would also like to ask the OP a question: Why was this thread title chosen? It is rather misleading and is hardly relevant to what you wanted to discuss.
GO RIDERS!

BoeingGuy

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:13 pm

Quoting ajhYXE (Reply 37):
I would also like to ask the OP a question: Why was this thread title chosen? It is rather misleading and is hardly relevant to what you wanted to discuss.

The OP is apparently aware of the recent two injuries occurring on the Boeing Flight Line and in the factory a few days ago and wants to know if this means that Chicken Little's sky is falling and Boeing's Everett factory is a really dangerous building to work in (although one of the accidents wasn't in the factory).

Quoting ajhYXE (Reply 37):
I don't believe anyone was called stupid in this thread. Rather, the action taken by the employee (texting) has been referred to as stupid. Ultimately employees are responsible for their own safety. It was the his action and his action alone that caused this accident to happen. However, the punishment he received cannot be justified by any means in this (in my opinion) awful tragedy.

As I posted earlier, good people make mistakes and have lapses in judgment (I'm assuming he's a good person). We've all done dumb stuff and hopefully learned from it will never do it again. Unfortunately, he apparently used poor judgment and it cost him his legs. He wasn't a bad or even stupid person. He made a mistake and unfortunately didn't get to learn from it the easy way.

jetblueguy22

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:31 pm

Oh lord  . I'm not saying you have to get killed for it to be a tragedy. Did I say that guy is stupid? No. I said what he did was stupid. So why don't we go back to being adults here and stop saying that is so mean. Things like this happen because people for those split seconds forget about safety. And unfortunately thats when things happen. Do I feel bad the guy lost his legs? Absolutely. Could his actions have avoided it? Absolutely. But it is far from a tragedy.
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

DfwRevolution

Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:07 am

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 30):
I hardly think this is a worrisome trend, or even something worth discussing

IMO, I think it is very good that we talk openly about safety. Workplace statistics show a positive correlation between the amount of time companies spend discussing safety and lower TIR. Basically, people listen and take note. I personally appreciate that a number of manufacturing companies open their earnings calls by discussing their safety metrics before their latest financials.

kanban

Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:15 am

OK, don't blame anyone else.. I said that in spite of all the safety programs we still caught people being stupid... probably should have said they were less than attentive to the situation.. A guy who looks down the barrel of a nail gun that is still connected to air and pulls the trigger is stupid... and I see no reason to be politically correct in that situation.. A senior manager escorting a customer through a manufacturing area without safety glasses is .. well inept.

gigneil

Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:50 am

Quoting Daysleeper (Reply 10):
My experience of American companies is that they are incredibly pedantic when it comes to safety

Yet we lead the world in workplace safety. Its actually a major part of the reason we can't compete with the third world for labor.

I prefer being alive.

NS

rogercamel

Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:01 am

Quoting AngMoh (Reply 34):
In my company, the attitude of "sometimes these thing do happen" gets you fired

And so it should.

I spent a year repairing a suspension bridge, working around live traffic, at heights of 80m, and with just a suspension cable to walk on (about 18 inches in diameter). Interestingly, mobile phones were completely banned becuase they were considered too distracting within the surroundings.

Quoting kanban (Reply 35):
a snapped drill bit embedded in a pair of safety glasses within 1/4 of the wearer's eye,

Proof that PPE is worthwhile!!

Safety is a culture - you need to look after yourself, and those around you, plang what you do and how you do it, and learn from the accidents to prevent them happening again.

Stressedout

Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:16 am

I used to walk through the Everett factory often because it is such an awesome place for a walk. Having worked around the ag industry and the oilfields here in WY I would say that the Everett factory borders on being insanely safe compared to what I have seen in those industries as well as in the construction industry. Overall Everett is a totally safe place to work.