rampart
Topic Author

Yosemite National Park Airport? (1979)

Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:39 pm

A 1979 OAG indicates a short-lived Yosemite Airlines, flying between SFO and a few Sierra Nevada points: Lake Tahoe, Columbia, and Yosemite National Park. Where did Yosemite National Park have an airport? Is it still there? IATA codes seem to indicate OYS for Yosemite National Park Airport, but I can't find such an airport on current maps. This is not to be confused with the existing MPI Mariposa-Yosemite Airport, somewhat to the south (nor FAT Fresno-Yosemite International Airport! a more recent name).

Any historians or Californians with an idea? Was OYS an airport like Colorado's Avon Stolport -- once there, but now gone? Did any other airlines attempt service to this airport? What was Yosemite Airlines?

-Rampart

northstardc4m

RE: Yosemite National Park Airport? (1979)

Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:59 pm

this might help:
http://www.timetableimages.com/i-gj/je7812i.jpg
1978 timetable shows "OYS" as Yosemite/Pine Mt Lake

Pine Mt Lake Airport is E45, previously Q68, maybe it held the code OYS before?
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

rampart
Topic Author

Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:34 pm

Quoting NorthStarDC4M (Reply 1):
Pine Mt Lake Airport is E45, previously Q68, maybe it held the code OYS before?

Interesting, thanks! So it's still an airport, 3600 ft of runway at 2900 ft elevation. Pine Mtn. Lake is a 45 mile drive to the Park. Mariposa would be closer to the park, wonder why they didn't try that. Timetable indicates a hop from Columbia to Pine Mountain Lake of 20 minutes, 17 air miles, but 36 road miles away (an hour drive).

The rest of the timetables on timetableimages.com indicate Yosemite Airlines service from 1975-1980, serving Columbia first, then adding Yosemite and others later.

If the "art" on the timetables is indicative, looks like they flew single engine Piper, then an AeroCommander, and the OAG in 1979 indicates a Cessna.

I wish I was a bit older in this era of tiny mountain airlines serving tiny airports, I'd have started one. Reminds me of Rocky Mountain Airways, Air Colorado, TransWestern, Alpha Air, and Shavano Air.

-Rampart

bjorn14

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:08 pm

Quoting rampart (Reply 2):
Reminds me of Rocky Mountain Airways, Air Colorado, TransWestern, Alpha Air, and Shavano Air.

Yep. Although they flew slightly bigger frames Aspen Airways and Sierra Pacific
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein