washingtonian
Topic Author

PeopleMover To AA's New Customs Facility At MIA

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:57 pm

I understand that something like 2 out of the 4 cars on each PeopleMover train in the MIA North Terminal will be sterile for passengers heading to clear FIS/Customs. If this is the case, how many passengers can each car hold?

I was just thinking that in off-hours if all of the passengers head to take the train to FIS, it might get very crowded in the stations and on the cars.

aacun

RE: PeopleMover To AA's New Customs Facility At MIA

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:33 am

This is the way its being operating since the mover began operating, and it hasnt been a problem as far as I know. The last 2 cars of the mover are set uo for the international arriving operation with stop number 3 set uo as the FIS station

crAAzy

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:39 am

It's a Mitsuhishi Crystal Mover System - each car has a capacity of 105 (including 18 seats).

Estimated capacity when all cars being utilized 9,000 passengers per hour.

washingtonian
Topic Author

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:39 am

Quoting aacun (Reply 1):
This is the way its being operating since the mover began operating, and it hasnt been a problem as far as I know.

And people take it now to Stop number 3 and then walk to Concourse E FIS? I didn't realize it was already in use (for inbound international passengers).

Quoting aacun (Reply 1):
The last 2 cars of the mover are set uo for the international arriving operation with stop number 3 set uo as the FIS station

It's a really intelligent setup. I wish my hometown airport, Washington Dulles, had done something similar while building our people mover.

Quoting crAAzy (Reply 2):
each car has a capacity of 105 (including 18 seats).

Wow, didn't realize they were that large! So each train can carry 420 people?!

miaintl

Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:05 am

Does anyone know when the new customs area in the North Terminal will open? Whats taking the whole thing so long?

washingtonian
Topic Author

Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:24 pm

Quoting miaintl (Reply 4):
Does anyone know when the new customs area in the North Terminal will open? Whats taking the whole thing so long?

I imagine it has something to do with the fights going on over the bagage system perhaps?