enilria
Topic Author

News Article By Moron Confuses Who Is Merging

Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:29 pm

http://seekingalpha.com/article/4580...ith-delta-us-airways-takeover-talk

OK, I know that there was an article about Delta and US merging which is largely considered a smokescreen by people in the industry, but this guy is out telling people where to invest and he apparently only knows about this industry from half-reading headlines.

"Southwest 50% Undervalued With Delta-US Airways Takeover Talk"

That's nonsense right off the bat for two reasons, but even better is this section...

"From a multiples perspective, Southwest is equally attractive. It trades at 35.8x past earnings but only 8.1x forward earnings. This compares to 3.8x forward earnings for Delta and 3.3x for US Airways. "

Huh? So it trades for nearly twice forward earnings as DL and US, but that is a reason to call it "attractive"?
There's more...

"Delta is similarly attractive. The company is likely to be the center of takeover activity in the airline industry. I see it possibly merging with US Airway to gain scale and unlock revenue and cost synergies. "

I'd say it's a bit more likely AA is going to be at the center of takeover activity. Maybe he had a chicken bone caught in his "airway". Maybe he is confusing Delta and AA because then he said this:

"It is rumored that US Airways is currently discussing with creditors about the proposed merger. In order to prevent long-term bankruptcy, scale is key in the sense that it drives operational efficiency. "

Yeah, they are discussing a merger with AA creditors, not Delta creditors. AA isn't even mentioned in the whole article. Then he recommends investing in Delta because the merger with US that isn't really happening will "prevent long-term bankruptcy". Sounds like a brilliant case for buying any company... I wasn't aware they were near bankruptcy? Or are we talking about US? Worst article ever...

United787

RE: News Article By Moron Confuses Who Is Merging

Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:37 pm

Reminds me of a Credit Suisse call I listened in on after US tried to go after DL back when DL was in Chap. 11...the aviation analyst talked about their fleets being extremely compatible and their route networks being complementary...ignoring the obvious ATL-CLT overlap...

enilria
Topic Author

RE: News Article By Moron Confuses Who Is Merging

Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:12 pm

Quoting United787 (Reply 1):
Reminds me of a Credit Suisse call I listened in on after US tried to go after DL back when DL was in Chap. 11...the aviation analyst talked about their fleets being extremely compatible and their route networks being complementary...ignoring the obvious ATL-CLT overlap...

You know if you are getting published by one of these investing sites I'd think they have a duty to not hire motley fools.  

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos