EY460
Topic Author

Passenger Boards The Wrong Plane In Turin

Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:53 pm

Italian news is reporting that a passenger boarded the wrong plane in Turin (Italy). Two Ryanair flights were boarding simultaneously from two gates next to each other. Apparently the passenger used the right gate but boarded the wrong bus. The hostess on board did not notice the mistake. Instead of boarding the flight to Madrid, she boarded the flight to Trapani (Sicily). When above the Ligurian Sea she told the hostess that the plane was flying in the wrong direction and they realised she boarded the wrong flight. The plane returned to Turin, also because of a technical problem.

It sounds very strange to me.

Max777geek

RE: Passenger Boards The Wrong Plane In Turin

Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:04 pm

How were the pax counts matching on the two flights ?

GT4EZY

Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:48 pm

Boarding and actually departing with the wrong pax onboard isn't unheard of. Boarding the wrong flight unoticed isn't uncommon and has happened on one of my flights once before. Whilst it's not good, it's not the big news story the OP makes it sound. It's taken seriously of course and paperwork is filled out that finds it's way back to the CAA /regulatory body but it's not a huge scandal.

Picking up such mistakes at the boarding door is also not uncommon and this is why I agree with UK carriers checking boarding cards. Some airports can be a bit chaotic at times such as RAK and some of the smaller Greek airports in peak season so you really do have to be vigilant especially if the particular airline doesn't do head counts where mistakes can often be picked up.
Proud to fly from Manchester!

ikramerica

Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:44 pm

Is this newsworthy in the EU because something like this certainly isn't in the US. Most common reason here is the same as this. Two flights leaving from same gate or A/B gate w same number.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

tp1040

Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:57 pm

More than once, before push back, I have heard FA's announce the destination and to make sure you want to go there. If you did not, you needed to notify the FA.

This was mainly on SWA flights. Must happen more often than you would assume.

YULWinterSkies

Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:19 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but isn't the boarding pass scan at the gate rejected if destination on the gate's computer and destination on the boarding pass bar code mismatch? Or is it possible that the agent may not notice through the boarding rush and let the pax go. In this case, the rejection warning needs to be made clearer.

I understand that this could have happened in the 80s, but in 2012???
When I doubt... go running!

EWRCabincrew

Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:25 pm

Quoting YULWinterSkies (Reply 5):
I understand that this could have happened in the 80s, but in 2012???

You know it's RyanAir, right????  
You can't cure stupid

m11stephen

Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:38 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but isn't the boarding pass scan at the gate rejected if destination on the gate's computer and destination on the boarding pass bar code mismatch? Or is it possible that the agent may not notice through the boarding rush and let the pax go. In this case, the rejection warning needs to be made clearer.

It usually happens when you have two flights boarding out of the same gate (IE the agent scans your boarding pass and you walk outside to one of two aircraft). If an agent isn't scanning the boarding pass and is just tearing the boarding pass and waiting to enter it into the computer manually later the agent probably wouldn't notice that the pax has a boarding pass for a different flight.

While highly inconvenient for the airline and the passenger situations like this aren't a huge safety issue. A passenger who gets on the wrong flight has still been screened in the same manner as the other passengers and has still been matched against the no-fly and selectee lists.
My opinions, statements, etc. are my own and do not have any association with those of any employer.

ssteve

Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:43 am

I was on a flight out of Jackson Hole where a passenger got on the wrong airline. This was either 2003 or 1995. He took his assigned seat. When the passenger with that seat assignment arrived, he was told he was on the wrong plane, and to please walk over to the other plane boarding at the same time. Think it was American and Continental, but I can't recall for sure. No jetways-- just walked out the door and turned the wrong way, didn't bother to match the name on the plane with the airline he was flying.

dstc47

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:00 am

but isn't the boarding pass scan at the gate rejected if destination on the gate's computer and destination on the boarding pass bar code mismatch?

Very likely that this stage had been completed earlier and passengers were held in the gate areas.

Probably two gates just beside each other, with buses parked tail end in to the boarding area. Turn one way out of the door and get on the wrong, and probably unmarked, bus. Wind up on the wrong plane.

Turn the other way and get on the correct bus.
Of course the mandatory count, and / or an announcment, as to the flight number and destination, should correct that error before takeoff but language skills or distraction may also be a factor.

BreninTW

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:07 am

It's really surprisingly easy to do ... especially if the boarding announcements are in a language you don't understand. A couple of years ago, I was flying B7 to TNN. My boarding pass said "Gate 9," so when Gate 9 was opened for boarding, I got up and walked onto the aircraft. Took my seat and was getting settled in for a comfortable flight down south.

Next moment, one of the crew was asking me to identify myself ... turns out I'd got on the B7 flight to KHH. My gate had been changed to the ramp ... but I hadn't heard / understood the announcement (and I hadn't paid attention to the boarding announcement).

Thankfully they'd picked it up before the flights departed and I was able to be put on the correct aircraft.

Dogbreath

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:57 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 6):
You know it's RyanAir, right????

Really!! I'm afraid to burst your bubble, but I've been in 3 airlines in 3 different continents and it happens from time to time. Unusual, but does happen.

No news to be made here I'm afraid.
Truth, Honour, Loyalty

EWRCabincrew

Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:14 pm

Quoting dogbreath (Reply 11):
Really!! I'm afraid to burst your bubble, but I've been in 3 airlines in 3 different continents and it happens from time to time. Unusual, but does happen.

No news to be made here I'm afraid.

I was being sarcastic...no bubble burst here. Been in the biz for 26 years and have seen it more than once. The system is not perfect, no matter how much is set up to prevent it.
You can't cure stupid

AR385

Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:51 pm

The same thing happened to me me on UX out of BCN. I was going to MAD and two planes were boarding at the same time in adjacent gates. Mine, and one to Palma. I got on the one to Palma. Even though the gate agent grabbed my BP and tore it. Once inside, when they gave the "Welcome aboard this flight bound for Palma..." I got this sinking feeling and got up.

Thankfully I was able to get out in time and board the other plane.

smpplnohow2fly

Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:54 pm

When I was an FA I had a similar situation. there was a delayed E175 on the gate next door going to MSP and we were a CM9 going to MSP an hour later, duplicate seats in 19A, and when I looked at the guys ticket it was flight 56XX instead of flight 35XX. It happens.
The beginning is the end is the beginning

beakerltn

Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:10 pm

During a rush boarding in PMI a few years ago (due to delays caused by problems with the airport electricity supply) we had two flights with half and half mixed up on two different planes!! - forget the odd one pax!!!

(note this was quite a lot of years ago!)
300/319/320/321/330/732/733/734/73G/738/744/772/77W/146/EMB135/EMB145

HBGDS

Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:25 pm

In the "ultra -secure" age, it's a bit odd, but this used to happen all the time. Passengers in the US would board the flight to Dulles (IAD) instead of Dallas, or more commonly at big hubs go to the wrong part of a terminal and catch the flight to Portland, ME, instea of Portland, OR.

I was boarding an AF from CDG1 to GVA in 1981 and no announcement was forthcoming. At my departure time, a door opened and people started handing in their tix. As the attendant ripped the boarding pass, I asked to make sure. It turns out it was a flight to Dubai that had switched gates... Phew!

GT4EZY

Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:01 pm

Quoting BeakerLTN (Reply 15):
During a rush boarding in PMI a few years ago (due to delays caused by problems with the airport electricity supply) we had two flights with half and half mixed up on two different planes!! - forget the odd one pax!!!

Probably the same flight in effect just using 2 aircraft. It sometimes happens....especially where there are delays.
Proud to fly from Manchester!

m11stephen

Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:29 am

This happens A LOT at the regionals where you will have three or four planes boarding from the same gate. Either the CSA or the F/A is suppose to get on the aircraft's PA system and say something to the effect of, "This plane is going to xxx. If you are not going to xxx you are on the wrong plane and should deplane immediately."
My opinions, statements, etc. are my own and do not have any association with those of any employer.

trintocan

Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:58 am

Back in 2008 that happened in CWL where a family of three set off on holiday to ACE and boarded the flight only to get a rude shock a few hours later when the crew announced, shortly before landing, "Welcome to Turkey"! They had actually boarded a flight to BJV, Bodrum Milas. They were returned to CWL later on and given a free holiday as compensation by the travel company, whose agent gave them incorrect boarding cards. Their free holiday was to IBZ - and I heard they got there all right.

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

beakerltn

Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:24 am

Quoting GT4EZY (Reply 17):
Probably the same flight in effect just using 2 aircraft. It sometimes happens....especially where there are delays.

Nearly - one was to Gatwick (ours) - the other to Manchester!
300/319/320/321/330/732/733/734/73G/738/744/772/77W/146/EMB135/EMB145

speedygonzales

Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:25 am

I once saw this almost happen at TRD. WF to CPH and KL to AMS were boarding at the same time, both with airstairs as there are no jetbridges at the international terminal at TRD. Even with the WF plane parked to the left and boarding through the left gate and KL from the right some ladies bound to CPH boarded the wrong plane, but the KL flight attendant checked their boarding passes and directed them to the other plane.
Las Malvinas son Argentinas

antonovman

Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:40 am

I was boarding the flight to dehli at FRA with Pan Am years ago and I was 1 passenger down at the gate. An old Indian lady appeared and I shouted DEHLI ? and she nodded her head. I pushed her on the aircraft, closed the door and off it went. Next morning I heard the lady had just arrived FROM Dehli not flying TOO Dehli ! OOPS

harmonium

Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:44 am

I've had this happen at my gates. You'd really be amazed how some passengers can manage to completely shut off any leftovers of sanity when being at an airport. The good ol' "they check their brains in with their bags" is a common saying for some reasons  

I remember specifically one episode last summer, where I was boarding a regular domestic route at the very end of the apron. The last pax to board was a dwarf, and as I boarded him I told him to turn left and board the propeller plane(AT7) when he got ouside.

I printed the remaining lists for the crew and went outside, only by coincidence did I notice the dwarf almost boarding a charter flight(A321) at the very other end of the apron. So I had to run all the way down the apron, catch the dwarf on the stairs and get him all the way back. I highly doubt that I would have discovered this, if he hadn't been a dwarf.

It happens every once in a blue moon. It takes a lot of difference scenarios to come together. Confused pax, unaware marshaller etc. But as with anything else including humans, yes, it can happen.