LHR27C
Topic Author

IAG Wins EU Approval For Bmi

Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:08 pm

Just announced to the stock exchange:

Quote:
REGULATORY APPROVAL FOR BMI DEAL

The European Commission (EC) has today given regulatory approval for International Airlines Group's purchase of bmi from Lufthansa.

Some technical conditions need to be finalised before completion, which is anticipated to take place around April 20, 2012. Following completion, it is intended that bmi mainline will be integrated into British Airways during the coming months.

IAG has offered the following commitments to the EC as part of the regulatory
process:

·      Seven daily slot pairs to be used between Heathrow and either Edinburgh and/or Aberdeen.

·      Five daily slot pairs to be used between Heathrow and the following destinations - Nice, Cairo, Riyadh, Moscow, Edinburgh and/or Aberdeen.

·      Two Heathrow daily slot pairs will be leased to Transaero for use on flights to Moscow.

·      Other airlines can apply for seats on the integrated BA/bmi short and midhaul network for their transfer passengers, on normal commercial terms.

IAG chief executive Willie Walsh said: "We're delighted the EC has given competition approval for our acquisition of bmi. Their decision follows a thorough review during which the views of key stakeholders have been taken into account.

"This is great news for Britain. Over time we will launch new longhaul routes to key trading nations that are currently not served from Heathrow while supporting our shorthaul network. This is good for UK business and UK consumers. We have already announced that British Airways will re-start flights from Belfast to Heathrow, maintaining important economic links.

"Expanding our longhaul network also helps Heathrow grow as an international hub airport despite its infrastructure constraints.

"This deal will maintain high quality jobs at bmi and create similar jobs when we expand. More British jobs will be saved than if bmi had closed. British Airways will consult with bmi staff and their unions as soon as possible.

"We plan to operate bmi's summer schedule and will update their customers once the transaction has been completed".  

The acquisition cost of bmi is unchanged at £172.5m in cash, on a debt-free, cash-free basis, but is subject to significant price reductions if Lufthansa does not opt to sell bmi baby.

IAG's Heathrow slot portfolio, excluding the commitments made to the EC, will increase by at least an average of 42 daily slot pairs. The transaction is still expected to be earnings accretive by 2014 at the latest. The commitments do not affect IAG's plans to increase its 2015 operating profit target of €1.5 billion by €100 million and its target of delivering a 12 per cent return on capital employed.  IAG estimates that restructuring costs related to the integration of bmi will be around £100 million spread over three years with the majority in year one.

IAG plans to hold an investor update after completion of the deal, at which it will give more detail on the bmi integration plan.
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned forever skyward

FCAFLYBOY

RE: IAG Wins EU Approval For Bmi

Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:11 pm

Great news for IAG as a whole, excellent news for BA and good for the soon-to-be Ex-BMI staff who will still face difficulty ahead for sure, there are bound to be redundancies, but a lot less I gather than had anyone else (read Branson) got his paws on BMI.

fcogafa

Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:27 pm

Don't get it - so BA only have to lease TSO a couple of slots, the rest they guarantee to keep flying themselves but have to make seats available for other airlines pax? (which they would do anyway)

Or does 'offering committments' mean making the slots available to other airlines - a bit unclear. And what happens if no-one wants the slots?

Bit of a slap in the face for VIR then.

[Edited 2012-03-30 09:35:02]

[Edited 2012-03-30 09:50:31]

astockla

Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:29 pm

Quoting FCAFLYBOY (Reply 1):
Great news for IAG as a whole, excellent news for BA and good for the soon-to-be Ex-BMI staff who will still face difficulty ahead for sure, there are bound to be redundancies, but a lot less I gather than had anyone else (read Branson) got his paws on BMI.

and better than if the EC had blocked the deal as LH said that if regulatory approval hadn't been received, they would shut the airline down instead of offering it elsewhere...
above us is only sky

faustboi

Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:30 pm

http://www.iairgroup.com/phoenix.zht...-newsArticle&ID=1678611&highlight=

IAG has offered the following commitments to the EC as part of the regulatory process:
· Seven daily slot pairs to be used between Heathrow and either Edinburgh and/or Aberdeen.
· Five daily slot pairs to be used between Heathrow and the following destinations - Nice, Cairo, Riyadh, Moscow, Edinburgh and/or Aberdeen.
· Two Heathrow daily slot pairs will be leased to Transaero for use on flights to Moscow.
· Other airlines can apply for seats on the integrated BA/bmi short and midhaul network for their transfer passengers, on normal commercial terms.

AIR MALTA

Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:46 pm

Finally... That's a great news... And I think the concessions are fair... Now let's see if VS will start domestic UK flights.
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

jwhite9185

Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:46 pm

I have a flight to NCE booked for May, so should be interesting to see what, if any, changes will be made to the flight now. Operated on BA metal? BA crew? Any BA branding at all? Either way I'm glad I booked with BMI while i still could and will be interesting to potentially be on one of their last ever flights.
@mytripreport

anstar

Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:47 pm

Quoting faustboi (Reply 4):
· Two Heathrow daily slot pairs will be leased to Transaero for use on flights to Moscow.

I'm guessing these were currently leased from BMI to Transaero so will jsut enable them to continue operating their current flights.

I wonder if Easyjet will seriously look at launching a few LHR - EDI/ABZ routes?

As for Virgin I would think that they would grab the chance to get the slots for Moscow... not sure Riyadh or Cairo would appeal...

AIR MALTA

Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:47 pm

However, I think we might see VS operating to Cairo and Moscow.

garpd

Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:48 pm

The best outcome for sure. Saves the most amount of jobs and better yet, is a big "up yours Branson".
arpdesign.wordpress.com

Btblue

Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:50 pm

That's great news.

No long drawn out drama, costing thousands in the process.

Glad to see some common sense here. No doubt Virgin will be grumbling but on the whole the deal is good for BMI and good for BA.

Looking forward to getting a ride on a Virgin GB domestic flight some time in the future...  
146/2/3 737/2/3/4/5/7/8/9 A320 1/2/18/19/21 DC9/40/50 DC10/30 A300/6 A330/2/3 A340/3/6 A380 757/2/3 747/4 767/3/4 787 77

mikey72

Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:05 pm

Quoting btblue (Reply 10):
Glad to see some common sense here

Flying is like sex - I've never had all I wanted but occasionally I've had all I can stand.

vhtje

Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:12 pm

Quoting anstar (Reply 7):
I wonder if Easyjet will seriously look at launching a few LHR - EDI/ABZ routes?

I doubt it. LHR is far too expensive for EZY's cost structure, surely?

Wonderful news for the BMI employees. Well done IAG.

santos

Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:21 pm

BMI said on their announcement that they will operate a full summer schedule, so this mean that changes will only apply from the end of October?

jrn216

Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:29 pm

This is excellent news; I am very happy. The purchase of bmi by IAG and subsequent integration into British Airways will ensure that the latter will be able to strengthen its position at Heathrow and offer expansion opportunities that it would just not have been able to achieve through natural growth. While it will be sad to see the bmi brand disappear, which has a long aviation history in the UK, it is widely accepted that the airline has not been able to adapt to the changing market and has struggled for many years. IAG's purchase is the least worst option and will at least ensure a future for many bmi staff.

The concession on slots is certainly in line with expectations and it is good that it is route based. While I don't necessarily agree that competition is needed on UK domestic routes (taking the London market as a whole), it will be interesting to see if any airline takes up the opportunity to operate the routes to Scotland.

No long drawn out drama

I totally agree with this and welcome the EC's quick and "painless" regulatory approval.

anstar

Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:40 pm

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 5):
Now let's see if VS will start domestic UK flights.

I wouldn't hold your breath - 7 slots is hardly enough to start a decent domestic operation...

As I said above the only route I can see VS taking up the chance to start is Moscow... Riyadh is too conservative and airo is a bit of a basket case with the current political situation.

the deal is good for BMI

But not good for all BMI staff... most head office staff will be cut.... whilst flying staff may keep jobs I really cant see BA taking on the hords from donnington castle!

AIR MALTA

Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:52 pm

Quoting anstar (Reply 15):
I wouldn't hold your breath - 7 slots is hardly enough to start a decent domestic operation...

7 is for the exlusive use to ABZ and EDI plus 5 that can be used to EDI, ABZ, CAI or MOW. That means that VS could easily operate 5 daily flights each to ABZ and EDI.

lightsaber
Crew

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:05 pm

I never expect this to happen quickly.
This is HUGE news for BA. It will make them far more competitive.

Quoting FCAFLYBOY (Reply 1):
Great news for IAG as a whole

Yes it is. The value of the connections will be immense. Not the will, I do not expect BA to keep the same shorthaul network and will instead utilize the slots for longer missions.

IMHO, the greatest value will be oppening up a reasonable feeded network for BA. Yes... BA had one today. With BMI, they will be 'force fed' a much more competitive feeder network.

Quoting garpd (Reply 9):
Saves the most amount of jobs and better yet, is a big "up yours Branson".

This will save jobs. As to the Branson comment... Let's just say VS didn't have the funds for a competitive bid.

I personally would have rather seen a 3rd runway at LHR with either BA or VS organically growing a feeder network. Alas, that might have lowered the value of BMI below its debt...  
But not good for all BMI staff... most head office staff will be cut.... whilst flying staff may keep jobs

That is my impression. I also expect a consolidation of ground staff at LHR. I feel for anyone losing their position.

However, IMHO, this is the best solution for British aviation.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

AIR MALTA

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:26 pm

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 17):
That is my impression. I also expect a consolidation of ground staff at LHR. I feel for anyone losing their position.

Not sure many jobs will be lost there. Remember T5 is full, T3 can't accommodate all of BMI operation. So BA would still need to have the ground staff to operate out of T1 until the operations are merged again under T3 or T1 but then again, the ground staff in its majority will be needed.

Now, we need to see what's gonna happen next... I expect BMI and BA to start sharing codes asap, in order to maximize the exposure of BMI's network and enhance revenues in this transitional phase.

Bongodog1964

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:27 pm

Quoting LHR27C (Thread starter):
Seven daily slot pairs to be used between Heathrow and either Edinburgh and/or Aberdeen.

Is it just me or is this as clear as mud ?

What exactly does the above sentence mean, does IAG agree to let someone else buy 7 slot pairs permanantly, does IAG offer to lease 7 slots pairs, does IAG have to give away 7 slot pairs for free, or does it mean that IAG have to use 7 slot pairs themselves on these routes.

anstar

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:34 pm

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 16):
That means that VS could easily operate 5 daily flights each to ABZ and EDI.

But is it worth setting up a short haul operation and buying short haul aircraft for 10 daily flights? I doubt it.

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 17):
hat is my impression. I also expect a consolidation of ground staff at LHR. I feel for anyone losing their position.

I'd say ,ost flying staff will be ok - its all the staff at head office that will liekly lose their jobs - cant see them needing to be replicated at Waterside!

kiwiandrew

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:36 pm

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 18):
T3 can't accommodate all of BMI operation

What if some more of the *A airlines currently stuck at T3 were swapped over to T1 ? I know that most are widebodies so may not be suitable for the gates at T1 curently used by BD, but how about if SK shifted ? How many frequencies do they operate weekly into T3 ?

AIR MALTA

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:43 pm

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 21):
What if some more of the *A airlines currently stuck at T3 were swapped over to T1 ? I know that most are widebodies so may not be suitable for the gates at T1 curently used by BD, but how about if SK shifted ? How many frequencies do they operate weekly into T3 ?

I can see SK moving to T1. They have many flights a day from T3 but I do not know how many. TK can also move to T1 to joining other Star airlines. But that's still way less than the 42 daily slot pairs BA will acquire. Honestly, I think that's going to be the hardest part of the deal.

jwhite9185

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:20 pm

Just got an email from the diamond club saying that:

Quote:
We are working together to announce a Diamond Club partnership with British Airways. This will include the ability to earn and redeem Diamond Club destinations miles across the bmi and BA networks.

So hopefully that means i can transfer my diamond club miles over to BA miles at some point. I have A3 Miles and bonus, but BA miles would be much more useful to me.
@mytripreport

anstar

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:22 pm

Quoting jwhite9185 (Reply 23):
So hopefully that means i can transfer my diamond club miles over to BA miles at some point. I have A3 Miles and bonus, but BA miles would be much more useful to me.

Id read that to say your bmi miles can be redeemed for BA or BD only. They wont be transferred nor will you be able to redeem them on oneworld carriers.

kiwiandrew

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:26 pm

Great news for most BD staff, I am sure that they will be relieved that for many of them the uncertainty should be soon cleared up and they can get on with their lives. Of course I feel for those who will not find jobs at IAG , but the alternative was the entire airline ceasing ops with everyone left jobless.

GCT64

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:40 pm

Come on Easyjet - as I said on the previous thread (the one about the slots that would need to be offered), I think Easy are the only company that could make this work.

This is probably Easyjet's only chance in the near future to get into LHR .... oh wait, we might then have people complaining about the Easy monopoly on routes to EDI from LON  

I think Easyjet should be brave and bold on this one.
Flown in: A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A388,BA11,BU31,B190, B461,(..53 more types..),VC10,WESX

anstar

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:45 pm

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 25):
but the alternative was the entire airline ceasing ops with everyone left jobless.

That was not the only alternative.... regardless I cant see many of BD's office staff being offered jobs with BA

jwhite9185

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:47 pm

Quoting anstar (Reply 24):
Id read that to say your bmi miles can be redeemed for BA or BD only. They wont be transferred nor will you be able to redeem them on oneworld carriers.

Well as BA are now the only full service British airline flying to Europe, chances are i'd only use them on BA anyway.

But one day in the future the diamond club will cease to exist anyway - so that will either mean the miles will be transferred to BA or they will just be lost. Ive only got 1000 miles anyway and my upcoming flight will earn 3000 so its not like i'll be losing a massive amount of miles. Just rather get some use for them than none!
@mytripreport

slinky09

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:55 pm

Congrats to BA and those BMI staff who's futures look securer.

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 16):
That means that VS could easily operate 5 daily flights each to ABZ and EDI.

Could anyone make an operation with just seven dailies work - that'll be say two aircraft minimum / three, all the attendant costs on short haul with no scale and no option for another airline to grow it's long haul network without very costly slot acquisition. This looks to me to be a dead duck and I wonder what the detail really says, what if no one takes up the slots, do they revert to BA or do they go in the slot pool? If the latter then isn't the rule that they go first to new or smaller airlines? I can't see VS moving on these, nor any other short haul airline, and if any do then I forecast it lasts 18 months ...

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 22):
Honestly, I think that's going to be the hardest part of the deal.

Indeed, BA operations and logistics will no doubt already have a plan, but I bet there's been a lot of head scratching.

Gingersnap

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:56 pm

Quoting GCT64 (Reply 26):
Come on Easyjet - as I said on the previous thread (the one about the slots that would need to be offered), I think Easy are the only company that could make this work.

This is probably Easyjet's only chance in the near future to get into LHR .... oh wait, we might then have people complaining about the Easy monopoly on routes to EDI from LON  

I honestly don't think it's worth their while on this one. Simply because of the high cost of renting/purchasing slots, as well as potential problems relating to delays which aren't uncommon.
Flown on: A306 A319/20/21 A332 B732/3/4/5/7/8 B742/4 B752 B762/3 B772/W C152 E195 F70/100 MD-82 Q400

planejamie

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:56 pm

This is excellent news, this means that Riyadh will probably get 2x daily BA (late night and early morning, as BA currently have the early morning one) and there's no problems with the regions being underserved.

Also means almost no BD jobs will be lost and hopefully we get an excellent British airline to be proud of  

rutankrd

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:57 pm

I would suggest FLYBE-Logan could do a few rotations on the Scottish and/or Nice routes ( The Nice would work quite well with the AF codeshare -Didn't BMI do a codeshare with AF at some point

Is the Saudi route open to a foreign carrier - NASAir perhaps ?

Cairo ?

Moscow - Virgin possible !

sam1987

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:05 pm

Quoting jwhite9185 (Reply 6):
I have a flight to NCE booked for May, so should be interesting to see what, if any, changes will be made to the flight now. Operated on BA metal? BA crew? Any BA branding at all?

The press release states that "it is intended that bmi mainline will be integrated into British Airways during the coming months" - so you might be on a hybrid plane with hybrid staff!

I remember when easyJet took over GB Airways - they had a mish mash of colour schemes (the BA navy belly with orange and white stickers) for a few seasons.

I read an article recently with the easyJet CEO:

She admits the airline did examine - "but not very seriously" - a possible acquisition of British Midland International from Lufthansa: "Heathrow is a very expensive and congested airport and it doesn't fit our business model."

Read it here: http://www.flightglobal.com/interviews/carolyn-mccall/the-interview/

So I would be surprised if easyJet started at LHR. Plus it would mean they would operate from four London airports to Scotland in comparison with BA's three.

I think Aer Lingus and Flybe (or Virgin if Branson can find some shorthaul aircraft) are the most likely.

Quoting santos (Reply 13):
so this mean that changes will only apply from the end of October?

Looking at past acquisitions - I could use the GB and easyJet example again - the first season is generally a "we will fly their schedule" season, and then the first changes take effect in the following season.

But not good for all BMI staff... most head office staff will be cut

Indeed. But what was the alternative? If Lufthansa closed it, everyone would go surely?

The press release says "More British jobs will be saved than if bmi had closed".
Next flights: LGW-LBA-LGW, LHR-SIN-SYD, SYD-BKK-LHR, LGW-GRO, GRO-CIA, CIA-MAD, MAD-LGW

mikey72

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:12 pm

Quoting planejamie (Reply 31):
Also means almost no BD jobs will be lost and hopefully we get an excellent British airline to be proud of

We've always had one.

Oh how they forget....
Flying is like sex - I've never had all I wanted but occasionally I've had all I can stand.

LHRFlyer

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:12 pm

Quoting slinky09 (Reply 29):
I wonder what the detail really says, what if no one takes up the slots, do they revert to BA or do they go in the slot pool?

If no-one takes up the slots then BA keeps them. I think Virgin may go for the medium haul slots to Cairo and Moscow, but not the short-haul routes.

GDB

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:13 pm

Well my post on the BA 734 is partly out of date, even as I wrote it!

Good news, I hope very much that as many BMI staff as possible can continue their airline careers within IAG.

Seen it before, I've worked with quite a few ex BCAL people after all.

As for the bearded one, maybe he might consider it a more profitable use of his time to focus on what VS does, rather than constant knee-jerk reactions about anything to do with BA/IAG, even when, as here, it did not have anything to do with him.
Now if he had a VS domestic/short-haul operation in the UK............

BD338

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:17 pm

Great news overall and realistically the only option that would really have worked.

Wasn't this decision cutting things a bit fine? IIRC IAG said they would (or could?) walk away at the end of March and the whole deal would collapse and BD would be effectively shutdown? Probably a few sweaty palms in Frankfurt, London and Madrid this morning until the confirmation came through!

BD was my first commercial flight RIP.

kiwiandrew

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:24 pm

Quoting anstar (Reply 27):

That was not the only alternative....

I'm curious what other alternative you could see. I am a die hard A* fan boy ( as Mikey72 will testify!   ) but I couldn't see a third option for BD. As far as I could see it was be absorbed into IAG or be shutdown with the loss of many jobs.

LHRFlyer

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:32 pm

Quoting BD338 (Reply 37):
Wasn't this decision cutting things a bit fine? IIRC IAG said they would (or could?) walk away at the end of March and the whole deal would collapse and BD would be effectively shutdown? Probably a few sweaty palms in Frankfurt, London and Madrid this morning until the confirmation came through!

I expect that must have been informal discussions between IAG, Lufthansa and the Commission before the transaction was officially notified (which didn't happen until last month) so they knew that their concessions and the table were realistic.

WAC

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:47 pm

No surprise,,,the real anouncement was done back on 12th March by the OFT,,,,EU just confirmed there were no concerns on European or global scale which is obvious seeing our twiddly small BD is...

mikey72

Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:09 pm

AA anti-trust, the IB merger and now the acquisition of BD....these things have not given BA any kind of advantage over their 'real' competitors in Europe and beyond who have enjoyed similar groupings and slot holdings at their bases for a long time now.

These things have merely made BA more 'able' to compete. Hence their approval.

The way I see it that is good for Britain and good for the UK's premier airport.

The last thing I will say on the subject is that I hope as least amount of people as possible lose their jobs at BD.

(hi kiwiandrew   )

Gemuser

Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:21 pm

Quoting LHR27C (Thread starter):
AG has offered the following commitments to the EC as part of the regulatory
process:
· Seven daily slot pairs to be used between Heathrow and either Edinburgh and/or Aberdeen.
· Five daily slot pairs to be used between Heathrow and the following destinations - Nice, Cairo, Riyadh, Moscow, Edinburgh and/or Aberdeen.
· Other airlines can apply for seats on the integrated BA/bmi short and midhaul network for their transfer passengers, on normal commercial terms.
Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 19):
Is it just me or is this as clear as mud ?

What exactly does the above sentence mean, does IAG agree to let someone else buy 7 slot pairs permanantly, does IAG offer to lease 7 slots pairs, does IAG have to give away 7 slot pairs for free, or does it mean that IAG have to use 7 slot pairs themselves on these routes.

Bongodog, I can't believe that you and I are they only ones asking this question! The words in the original quote are MOST ambiguous.
To me the most reasonable interpretation of the words themselves, is that BA has committed to used 7 daily slot pairs between LHR & EDI and/or Aberdeen and 5 daily slot pairs between LHR and the listed destinations.
Does that make sense? Doesn't BA already operate between at least some of these points?
What exactly does BA have to do?

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

jrfspa320

Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:33 am

This is great news for the UK airline industry, and a continuation of mergers we have seen over the last couple of years.

Time to get T5D built! What about BA/QF moving over the T1 instead, and say EI moving to T3?

kiwiandrew

Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:38 am

Quoting jrfspa320 (Reply 43):
Time to get T5D built! What about BA/QF moving over the T1 instead, and say EI moving to T3?

Did you mean to type T1 ? So far as I know BA/QF aren't intending to join Star ?

anstar

Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:07 am

Quoting planejamie (Reply 31):
Also means almost no BD jobs will be lost

I cant imagine BA keeping many of the head office jobs at BMI.

BOACCunard

Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:07 am

Quoting gemuser (Reply 42):
Bongodog, I can't believe that you and I are they only ones asking this question! The words in the original quote are MOST ambiguous.

Add my name to the list of people who find this wording absolutely incomprehensible. I haven't a clue what it is supposed to mean.
Getting There is Half the Fun!

jrfspa320

Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:08 am

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 44):
Did you mean to type T1 ? So far as I know BA/QF aren't intending to join Star ?

Nope I meant 5D, a proposed pier to T5, I meant just the current T3 BA/QF flights moving to T1, as there isnt a huge amount, less than 20 i think? Just to keep ops within two terminals, ie. its easier than moving the bmi ops to T3.

liftsifter

Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:44 am

While I was never in support of BA eating up bmi, this surely is better than bmi being closed completely. I will never forget how great bmi was though.

Does the merger state that LH keeps the aircraft, or are they transferred to BA? Curious to see which cabin fittings BA chooses for these planes if they do get them.
A300 A310 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A342 A343 A346 A380 B736 B737 B738 B744 B763 B77L B77E B77W B788 E190

rtfm

Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:57 am

Quoting jrfspa320 (Reply 47):
I meant just the current T3 BA/QF flights moving to T1, as there isnt a huge amount, less than 20 i think? Just to keep ops within two terminals, ie. its easier than moving the bmi ops to T3.

Not going to happen.... BA have more than just the joint BA/QF flights in T3. Plus the current T1 is scheduled for demolition once the new T2 is open; the plan is then to expand T2 over some of the current T1 footprint. So it would mean moving ops out of T3 only to have to move them all back eventually....