BlueBus
Topic Author

Allegiant To Charge For Carry Ons Starting Wed

Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:23 pm

Looks like according to airline reporter, Allegiant will start charging for carry-ons on the 4th. not a huge surprise.

http://www.airlinereporter.com/2012/...-charging-for-carry-ons-wednesday/

I know Spirit does this already. Does Ryanair? Any other airlines around the world? Wouldn't be surprised if we see more in the coming year do this as well. Oy!

Pe@rson

RE: Allegiant To Charge For Carry Ons Starting Wed

Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:31 pm

Quoting BlueBus (Thread starter):
Does Ryanair?

No.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

FWAERJ

Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:37 pm

I like G4, and I have flown them before from FWA.

That said, I was pricing out flights to Orlando for September between G4 FWA-SFB and WN IND-MCO. G4 was cheaper than WN by a comfortable margin. Even with the carry-on fee and a checked bag, G4 from FWA would cost about the same as or less than WN from IND. And with gas prices the way they are, there might be a bigger incentive to choose G4 and stay local instead of driving to IND, even with the carry-on fee.

Just like with NK, this won't hurt G4. As always, the big question remains if any of the legacies will follow because of rising fuel prices. Remember, 1st and 2nd checked bag fees from the legacies first came about during the last oil price spike in 2008.
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

luv2fly

Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:42 pm

Just my opinion I think it takes balls to charge a customer for an item that they will carry on and look after, though if you don't want to pay it don't fly them.
You can cut the irony with a knife

roseflyer

Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:48 pm

I'm not surprised Allegiant would do this. Also since they have the smallest overhead bins of any mainline airline in the US it makes sense since without the extensions, MD80 bins are quite tight.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

BlueBus
Topic Author

Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:49 pm

Quoting luv2fly (Reply 3):
though if you don't want to pay it don't fly them.

On the most part I agree with this, but Allegiant flies to a lot of airports where they are the only mainline and people really don't have any choice but the bus.

AWACSooner

Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:55 pm

So you're stuck flying G4 into the only airport within several hours drive from your hometown in the middle of nowhere (because, let's face it, most of G4's outbound destinations are in the central US away from most major cities)...and G4 specializes in selling complete vacation packages where you HAVE to pack bags (not like majors, who can cater to day-travellers and business folks). So, now besides that lovely "convenience fee" they charge for you using THEIR website to book tickets on THEIR airline, they will charge you for hauling YOUR OWN BAG onto their plane.

Between them and NK, the race to the dregs keeps getting more interesting.

FWAERJ

Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:57 pm

Quoting BlueBus (Reply 5):
Allegiant flies to a lot of airports where they are the only mainline and people really don't have any choice but the bus.

Many G4 origin airports are also a 1-3 hour drive from another major airport that is served by "bags fly free" WN.

Here are ten examples:
SCK (G4) vs. SMF (WN)
FWA vs. IND
SBN vs. MDW
OWB vs. SDF
YNG vs. CLE (and CAK once WN/FL integration is done)
GYY vs. MDW
BLI vs. SEA
RFD vs. MKE
ATW vs. MKE
COS vs. DEN

WN and G4 also overlap at times, like at GSP (plus DSM and GRR post-integration).

[Edited 2012-04-02 12:59:34]

1337Delta764

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:08 pm

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 2):
Just like with NK, this won't hurt G4. As always, the big question remains if any of the legacies will follow because of rising fuel prices. Remember, 1st and 2nd checked bag fees from the legacies first came about during the last oil price spike in 2008.

DL, AA, UA, and US pledged to the U.S. Senate that they won't charge for carryons. Failing to comply could result in legal charges for them.
The Pink Delta 767-400ER - The most beautiful aircraft in the sky

FWAERJ

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:17 pm

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 8):
DL, AA, UA, and US pledged to the U.S. Senate that they won't charge for carryons. Failing to comply could result in legal charges for them.

I remember that, but companies change their mind all the time.

Also, CO didn't make the same pledge that AA/DL/UA/US did. Keep in mind that the UA of today uses the CO operating certificate and is mostly CO management, so UA could potentially use the certificate change as a loophole around the pledge.

seabosdca

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:22 pm

I would be happy if carriers instituted a fee for carry-ons too big to fit under the seat, while also dropping the first checked bag fee. It would make traveling much smoother.

luv2fly

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:22 pm

Quoting BlueBus (Reply 5):
On the most part I agree with this, but Allegiant flies to a lot of airports where they are the only mainline and people really don't have any choice but the bus.

Even Greyhound doesn't have the balls to charge you to carry your own bag on the bus.

tjwgrr

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:23 pm

WN and G4 also overlap at times, like at GSP (plus DSM and GRR post-integration).

Sorry, slightly OT- I think it will be interesting to see what G4 does once the WN integration is complete at DSM and GRR. In the case of GRR, I can see G4 running back to LAN in a heartbeat. It's been written in the local media here in GRR how FL affected G4's loads when FL entered the GRR market- a big reason G4 scaled back flights and eliminated GRR as a base.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

luv2fly

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:27 pm

Quoting tjwgrr (Reply 12):
Sorry, slightly OT- I think it will be interesting to see what G4 does once the WN integration is complete at DSM and GRR. In the case of GRR, I can see G4 running back to LAN in a heartbeat. It's been written in the local media here in GRR how FL affected G4's loads when FL entered the GRR market- a big reason G4 scaled back flights and eliminated GRR as a base.

Lansing would offer them a bigger draw of MI than does GRR.

BlueBus
Topic Author

Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:07 pm

But are people really going to not fly because of this? Look at Spirit. People like to hate on them, but they are making money.

dsuairptman

Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:14 pm

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 10):
I would be happy if carriers instituted a fee for carry-ons too big to fit under the seat, while also dropping the first checked bag fee. It would make traveling much smoother.

My thoughts exactly! People need to get the message that dragging a roll board on board a plane is what is causing so many dealys and hang ups these days, (Not to mention FA's and gate agents not willing to police and enforce current carry on policy). Charging for roll boards that don't fit under the seat is a smart thing to do. Honestly most of the stuff people need to have with them will easily fit in a grocery size plastic bag, give them the one additional seperate from that and they should be able to get everything on they need with them onboard. Of course there will be exceptions for medical related items, dead head bags and non-rev employees, but I'm allright with that.
GEAUX SAINTS!

sldispatcher

Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:17 pm

They will no longer get any of my $$$. Rewarding this type of behavior only propagates the problem.

vin2basketball

Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:20 pm

Quoting AWACSooner (Reply 6):

So you're stuck flying G4 into the only airport within several hours drive from your hometown in the middle of nowhere (because, let's face it, most of G4's outbound destinations are in the central US away from most major cities)...and G4 specializes in selling complete vacation packages where you HAVE to pack bags (not like majors, who can cater to day-travellers and business folks). So, now besides that lovely "convenience fee" they charge for you using THEIR website to book tickets on THEIR airline, they will charge you for hauling YOUR OWN BAG onto their plane.

Between them and NK, the race to the dregs keeps getting more interesting.

If people will buy it, then more power to them. While you personally may not buy a ticket on an airline because it charges for carry ons, the empirical evidence over the past 5 years suggests that the majority of US travelers will anyway if the price is right.

And NK, who you claim is racing to the dregs, was the most profitable US airline LCC or legacy (by margin). And that ultimately, is the primary metric (along with safety/reliability) that an airline should be measured on.

boeing773er

Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:21 pm

This is a good call by G4, they let people get use to Spirit charging for carry ons and now they are introducing it themselves.

I will not change my mind about flying G4, considering they are a major carrier out of my home airport (ABE)

They are also ridiculously cheap, for example friends of mine just booked ABE-MYR in the middle of July for $39 dollars one way.
Work Hard, Fly Right.

LOWS

Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:28 pm

Quoting BlueBus (Thread starter):
Does Ryanair?

No, not yet anyway. But there are some rather severe size+weight restrictions.

MountainFlyer

Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:43 pm

Haven't people learned the promises made by politicians or corporations are about as permanent as sand castles? That said, I don't see the legacies charging for carry-on baggage anytime soon. Remember NK and G4 represent the ultimate in ULCC in the U.S. Because they've built themselves on that model and that reputation, they can get away with it a whole lot easier than the big players.

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 9):
Also, CO didn't make the same pledge that AA/DL/UA/US did. Keep in mind that the UA of today uses the CO operating certificate and is mostly CO management, so UA could potentially use the certificate change as a loophole around the pledge.

I could be mistaken, but I don't believe an operating certificate, which is issued by the FAA, carries the same weight as the corporate charter, which is a legal document filed with the state establishing their status as a legal corporation.
SA-227; B1900; Q200; Q400; CRJ-2,7,9; 717; 727-2; 737-3,4,5,7,8,9; 747-2; 757-2,3; 767-3,4; MD-90; A319, 320; DC-9; DC-1

ikramerica

Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:22 pm

Quoting dsuairptman (Reply 15):
My thoughts exactly! People need to get the message that dragging a roll board on board a plane is what is causing so many dealys and hang ups these days.

No, it's not what is causing the delays. Is it causing slower turn times, which airlines will incorporate into their scheduling so as not to have bad ontime stats? Yes, but it is NOT the cause of widespread delays. That's silly.

But let's assume every flight is delayed 10 minutes by carry-ons and it takes 10 minutes longer to deplane. Both reasonable assumptions. That's still 20 minutes. Try waiting for luggage at LAX, especially at peak times. Takes longer than 20 minutes. So large carry-ons are a net time benefit to anyone who uses one.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

AWACSooner

Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:39 pm

Quoting luv2fly (Reply 11):

Even Greyhound doesn't have the balls to charge you to carry your own bag on the bus.

This qualifies for "post of the year." Greyhound > NK, G4

Quoting BlueBus (Reply 14):
But are people really going to not fly because of this? Look at Spirit. People like to hate on them, but they are making money.

You know what they say about suckers...

PHLBOS

Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:51 pm

My understanding is that NK's carry-on charge ONLY applies to those who use the overhead bins; is that still true?

Based on the linked-article, it's not 100% clear whether G4's new policy will be similar.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

fat-g4

Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:56 pm

It is cheaper to put your bag under you then do a carry-on if you pre-pay it. See link below. I fly G4 quite often and thats because i have to. i could fly UA but they are WAYYY more expensive.

http://www.allegiantair.com/aaFeesForOurServices.php

FWAERJ

Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:45 pm

In the case of GRR, I can see G4 running back to LAN in a heartbeat. It's been written in the local media here in GRR how FL affected G4's loads when FL entered the GRR market- a big reason G4 scaled back flights and eliminated GRR as a base.

Don't discount the possibility of AZO, either. They built that shiny new terminal and Direct Air pulled out, so I could see AZO management offering a sweetheart deal to lure G4 away from GRR.

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 23):

My understanding is that NK's carry-on charge ONLY applies to those who use the overhead bins; is that still true?

Based on the linked-article, it's not 100% clear whether G4's new policy will be similar.

AFAIK, both NK's fee and G4's upcoming fee do not apply to items like purses and laptop cases that you can fit under your seat.

Quoting Boeing773ER (Reply 18):
I will not change my mind about flying G4, considering they are a major carrier out of my home airport (ABE)

I won't change my mind about flying G4, either. In the case of FWA (my hometown airport), they have drawn passengers back to FWA that used IND, DTW, or DAY (and TOL back when FL was there). And as I stated, even with the new fees, G4 is still far cheaper than the legacies at FWA and is also cheaper than driving to IND and picking up a flight there.

koruman

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:27 am

Good!

I wish every US full-service airline would come in line with the rest of us and make 15 pounds the absolute limit on carry-on baggage so that boarding could stop being the nightmare it is in the USA at present on every carrier.

Make 15 pounds the carry-on limit, and weigh every bag, and if it's more than 15 pounds offer the passenger the following choice:

EITHER:
1) Passenger pays $150 and has the bag placed in the hold,

OR:
2) Passenger is denied boarding and can leave the airport with his/her excessively large bag and make his/her own arrangements to his/her destination.

Then cabins will only contain what passengers need during the flight and small fragile goods.

Like full-service carriers in the rest of the world.

AS739BSI

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:36 am

I like the idea of limiting the carryons for the cabin and charge for carryons in exchange for a free (or reduced fee for a) bag underneath. Business travelers would probably not appreciate the idea of it though since their main purpose of utilizing the overhead bins is so they can get off the aircraft quickly and not be delayed to their final destination. However, assuming most business travelers will be frequent fliers, that could be added as a benefit for frequent fliers.

jporterfi

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:39 am

I hope the legacy carriers don't do this! That said, it would have to be "all or none" with the legacy carriers, because if most do it but one, DL for example, stays out of it, people will all flock to DL. Honestly I can't see the legacies doing this, becaus then people will all flock to the LCCs.

GSPSPOT

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:53 am

OK, I can NOW be officially counted among FORMER G4 fans.....  

[Edited 2012-04-02 17:53:30]
Finally made it to an airline mecca!

AWACSooner

Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:31 am

Quoting koruman (Reply 26):
Make 15 pounds the carry-on limit, and weigh every bag, and if it's more than 15 pounds offer the passenger the following choice:

EITHER:
1) Passenger pays $150 and has the bag placed in the hold,

OR:
2) Passenger is denied boarding and can leave the airport with his/her excessively large bag and make his/her own arrangements to his/her destination.

Right...because charging us people who can actually LIFT our bags into the bin as well as keep it within the limits of the bin size is clearly fair and just...yah, penalize those who follow the rules. Great idea!

FlyPNS1

Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:38 am

I wish every US full-service airline would come in line with the rest of us and make 15 pounds the absolute limit on carry-on baggage

What foreign carriers actually enforce this? I've taken carryons that weighed more than 15lbs on foreign carriers and never been stopped or even questioned.

Quoting jporterfi (Reply 28):
I hope the legacy carriers don't do this!

I think the legacies will avoid this one because the uproar would likely cause Congress to get involved. No one really cares if niche carriers like NK and G4 do this, but the legacy carriers are different...particularly as they consolidated down to only 3-4 behemoths left.

Cubsrule

Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:50 am

Why is weight the issue? I have a "standard" 22 inch roller bag and can pack it to 30 or 35 pounds without too much trouble. But if I can get it in to and out of the bin quickly, who cares?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

USAIRWAYS321

Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:17 am

Then cabins will only contain what passengers need during the flight and small fragile goods.

Like full-service carriers in the rest of the world.

Full-service carriers in the rest of the world don't charge for your first checked bag.

RyanairGuru

Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:30 am

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 31):
What foreign carriers actually enforce this? I've taken carryons that weighed more than 15lbs on foreign carriers and never been stopped or even questioned.

Most only enforce it if it actually looks too big, although I've had my cabin bag weighed by EK, KL, QF among others over the years. I do agree with Koruman that foreign carriers are much more willing to tell their passengers that their bags are too big and dump them in the hold.

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 32):
Why is weight the issue?

That I agree with. It should be patrolled by size, not weight. I guess the only issue with weight is the person who packs 25lbs and can't lift it, which then becomes a potential health and safety issue for the crew (gotta love the times we live in!)

Quoting USAIRWAYS321 (Reply 33):
Full-service carriers in the rest of the world don't charge for your first checked bag.

Good point
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Sevensixtyseven

Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:37 am

How do they charge passengers for this? Have a flight attendant be watching the passengers as they board, then come up to them with a credit card reader, or similar? Or what about kids, who most likely don't carry a credit card...

Stupid and idiotic, I think..
Will that ex-HP 752 get delayed...again?

JetBlueGuy2006

Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:38 am

I can see G4 running back to LAN in a heartbeat

I think AZO would potentially be a better option

Quoting luv2fly (Reply 13):
Lansing would offer them a bigger draw of MI than does GRR.

While I think this is true with LAN more centrally located in the state, I think there is something (rather someone) that would stand in their way....Sun Country. They have been doing pretty well with the service they provided to the Carribean, Florida as well as DCA and MSP.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/a...nvesting-heavily-Lansing-s-airport

I would not be surprised to see them return to MBJ, CUN and maybe Punta Cana for the next winter season. It would be interesting to see if they would consider keeping MCO at something like 2 weekly for the summer season. In the article, the CEO mentions the possibility of LAS if fuel is brought down. That was one of the initial routes they flew out of LAN. There was also an article a couple weeks back of potentially working with the airport on another business type destination later this year. I would think it might be something near NYC.

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 25):
Don't discount the possibility of AZO, either. They built that shiny new terminal and Direct Air pulled out, so I could see AZO management offering a sweetheart deal to lure G4 away from GRR.

If G4 did leave GRR, I think with Direct Air out of the pic this is where G4 might target. It would also offer some more separation with MBS.
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

freakyrat

Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:45 am

I think the fee for carry-ons on Allegiant is OK as their fares are so cheap anyway and they are basically an a-la-carte airline.

As far as you folks talking about roll-a-boards and such. You forget some fliers travel with expensive sporting equipment, Some with camera equipment powered with lithium batteries etc. The FAA really doesn't want anything powered with lithium batteries to be checked.

Also when I travel I've seen business passengers being bin hogs for their computers and other small bags that could easily go under a seat leaving no room for roll-a-boards.

ah414211

Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:51 am

Quoting GSPSPOT (Reply 29):
OK, I can NOW be officially counted among FORMER G4 fans.....
Same here. At $35/each way for a carryon they have more than doubled some of their fares....Add that to fees for seat assignments, booking convenience fees, etc. it looks like they're really not that cheap anymore. In fact it would now be an extra $140 roundtrip for my wife and I.....for that we can buy a ticket on a full service airline and still save money! Too bad Allegiant, you had a good thing going!

Edited 2012-04-02 20:54:14]

[Edited 2012-04-02 21:43:30]

n6238p

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:41 am

I throw bags for G4 and from what I've noticed from my experience is that MD-80's are not exactly the best planes for 150 people with carry-ons. As a ramp rat I have to fill out a loading record for the flight crew and I cannot turn this in until I know where all the bags are going. When I get a call from the gate telling me I got 25+ gate checks, not only am I delayed in loading the plane, but now the flight crew is also delayed in getting the loading record and unable to complete their performance paperwork. That 40 minutes turn suddenly turns into an hour and a majority of the time its due to an incredible amount of gate checks. It is extremely frustrating trying to get these planes turned without a delay. If this fee for a carry on can cut down on the amount of gate check caused delays, I'm all for it. Now the reason for charging for carry-ons may be for other reasons besides eliminating delays but, hey they're running a business.
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

ssteve

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:59 am

Quoting n6238p (Reply 39):
Now the reason for charging for carry-ons may be for other reasons besides eliminating delays but, hey they're running a business.

No, I agree-- it's not just money, it's efficiency. The boarding process at legacies is totally fubar now. They need to change the incentives around baggage to encourage checking bags. To use the example of the guy above who anticipates this costing him $140 roundtrip-- the other option is sharing one checked bag with the wife at $70 roundtrip, rather than two smaller rollaboards. It's time the airlines incentivised checking bags again. The whole incentive to drag them through security and onto the plane is ridiculous.

OB1504

Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:52 am

Quoting dsuairptman (Reply 15):
My thoughts exactly! People need to get the message that dragging a roll board on board a plane is what is causing so many dealys and hang ups these days, (Not to mention FA's and gate agents not willing to police and enforce current carry on policy). Charging for roll boards that don't fit under the seat is a smart thing to do. Honestly most of the stuff people need to have with them will easily fit in a grocery size plastic bag, give them the one additional seperate from that and they should be able to get everything on they need with them onboard. Of course there will be exceptions for medical related items, dead head bags and non-rev employees, but I'm allright with that.
Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 23):
AFAIK, both NK's fee and G4's upcoming fee do not apply to items like purses and laptop cases that you can fit under your seat.

These posts hit the nail on the head. Spirit still allows one free personal item, which cannot exceed 16 x 14 x 12 inches (in order to fit entirely underneath the seat in front of you). I imagine that Allegiant will institute a similar policy, and it'll be just as easy to get around.

This weekend, I flew FLL-LGA and back on Spirit and paid only $39.60 roundtrip. I traveled with only a duffel bag that is technically larger than the maximum allowable dimensions for the free personal item, but because it is soft-sided (unlike a roll-aboard) and full of clothes, I could easily fit it into the personal item sizer and was not charged to carry it on board. Once on the aircraft, the FAs could care less where you put your bag, so help yourself to the overhead bins.

Spirit does not charge a carry-on fee or first checked bag fee for non-rev employees of any airline.

So hate on Spirit and Allegiant and any other airlines that follow their example all you like, but while you're busy doing that, I haven't paid more than $60 roundtrip (including all taxes and fees) to travel domestically in nearly two years.

Quokkas

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:02 am

to fit under the seat

It may not be a problem with domestic US travel but on international carriers at least you tend to have in-seat IFE and can have a great big IFE box under the seat. What then?

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 31):
What foreign carriers actually enforce this?

I have seen staff in the boarding lounges in DXB enforce the rule and at PER I have seen airport staff direct passengers to place their carry-on into the size-frame. If it didn't fit they were sent back and told to check it in. It may be random and depend on who's working on a particular shift, though.

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 32):
Why is weight the issue?

Bins have been known to open during turbulence and bags do fall out. Which would you rather hit you on the back of the neck - 7kg or 15kg?
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

OB1504

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:27 am

Quoting Quokkas (Reply 42):
It may not be a problem with domestic US travel but on international carriers at least you tend to have in-seat IFE and can have a great big IFE box under the seat. What then?

At least the way the policy has currently been implemented, just because it must be able to fit underneath the seat in front of you doesn't mean it actually has to be stowed there. If a bag meets the dimensions but cannot be stowed underneath the seat due to an IFE box, bulkhead, etcetera, the airline shouldn't have a problem with the customer placing it in the overhead.

Bins have been known to open during turbulence and bags do fall out. Which would you rather hit you on the back of the neck - 7kg or 15kg?

Agreed. How much weight are the bins even rated for? I always found it interesting that there was never a weight limit established for carry-on baggage.

fat-g4

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:39 am

According to local news CBS47 in Fresno, one small item will be allowed. See link below.

quote from article

"Each passenger will be allowed to carry one smaller bag, such as a purse or briefcase that fits under a seat, for free."

i wonder what the dinmentions are going to be, and like OB1504 said, i would say the FAs woudlnt care if it went above or not

http://www.cbs47.tv/business/story/A...-space/wvYP6fKMLEWbRWny83tlyQ.cspx

Cubsrule

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:02 pm

Bins have been known to open during turbulence and bags do fall out.

How often?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

seabosdca

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:10 pm

Then put it in the overhead bin. It's not a matter if keeping every single item out of the overhead bin, it's a matter of allowing small personal items on free while charging to bring on rollaboards.

tjwgrr

Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:35 pm

The problem w/ AZO is their longest runway is 6502'. Florida flights would work, but flights to LAS and IWA without weight restrictions would be nearly impossible. LAN's longest runway is 8506'
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

mli717fan

Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:19 pm

Quoting ah414211 (Reply 38):
At $35/each way for a carryon they have more than doubled some of their fares....Add that to fees for seat assignments, booking convenience fees, etc. it looks like they're really not that cheap anymore. In fact it would now be an extra $140 roundtrip for my wife and I.....for that we can buy a ticket on a full service airline and still save money! Too bad Allegiant, you had a good thing going!

I was disappointed by this too, and concerned because I am scheduled to fly with several friends MLI-SFB in May, so I wasn't sure if it would impact us. You can go on MyAllegiant and add a checked bag to your reservation for less than $40 round trip, that's really not too bad, especially when the majors usually charge at least $100 more r/t than G4, with a connection and usually a ride on a crappy CR2. Not to mention, DL for example, will charge you $25/each way for that checked bag.

F9Animal

Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:27 pm

I support G4 in doing this, and hope other airlines follow suit! Just had a friend who is a flight attendant get a serious injury while trying to move someone's carryon to make room for more carryons. The injury required surgery. Passengers are packing so much now to carry their stuff on. With these fuel prices, that weight alone adds to the bottom lines.
I Am A Different Animal!!