LAXintl
Topic Author

Delta To Offer Bare Bones Ticket Fare Class

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:22 am

I guess to help capture a niche of extremely price sensitive travelers which carriers like Spirit are successfully wooing, Delta Airlines announce it will offer what it calls a “Basic Economy” fare which will not allow any seat selection(even if you are an elite flyer), changes or refunds.

According to Delta - the new Basic Economy fare is “ideal for travelers who seek the lowest fare option, do not intend to make changes and do not consider seat choice an important part of their travel experience.”

This new class of fares will initially be available from Detroit to Florida markets.

Story:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/46869656
and
http://articles.businessinsider.com/...13_1_fare-seat-assignments-e-class

=
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

DocLightning

RE: Delta To Offer Bare Bones Ticket Fare Class

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:26 am

Basically a way of depressing the lowest fare that appears on OTA sites.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

nycdave

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:28 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 1):

Basically a way of depressing the lowest fare that appears on OTA sites.

And a smart idea, as such...

At least until I start my own OTA site that equalizes for experience and features and space  

GSPSPOT

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:42 am

Quoting LAXintl (Thread starter):
“ideal for travelers who seek the lowest fare option, do not intend to make changes and do not consider seat choice an important part of their travel experience.”

Is it just me, or...... I dunno... Something about the last part of that just sounds "wrong". I can imagine any number of other things being substituted for "seat choice", can't YOU??
Finally made it to an airline mecca!

Jerseyguy

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:44 am

Quoting CNBC Article (Thread starter):
For a weeklong trip from Detroit to Orlando in May, the Basic Economy roundtrip airfare offered to me on their website was $257.60, only $12 lower than a 'regular' economy fare of $269.60. A similar booking to Tampa yielded a basic fare of $229.60, $19 cheaper than the next highest fare.

Ooh a whole $19, they sure are gonna give Spirit a run for their money

Webmaster of an unoffical TTN page see profile for details

jporterfi

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:44 am

It will be interesting to see how popular this is, and based on it, which and how many routes it is expanded to. I'd like to see DL do this on very popular routes such as ATL-LAX. It will eb interesting to see how they compete with WN in Atlanta with this fare class if they expand it to more routes. You basically have complete opposites in that case: choose whatever seat you want and no change fees vs. you cannot choose your seat or change your ticket.

ssteve

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:45 am

Quoting nycdave (Reply 2):
At least until I start my own OTA site that equalizes for experience and features and space

Granted I haven't poked around much recently, but seriously-- why don't sites offer checkboxes for the number of bags, etc?

usairways85

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:46 am

Uhhh, outside of not selecting a seat how is this different than their current deep discounted economy fares?

Jerseyguy

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:50 am

Quoting usairways85 (Reply 7):
Uhhh, outside of not selecting a seat how is this different than their current deep discounted economy fares?

You can't change the ticket even paying the $150 fee plus price changes. Besides they are only taking a very small amount off like $12 or $19.
Webmaster of an unoffical TTN page see profile for details

usflyer msp

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:51 am

I see this as a DL test for charging for advanced seat selection on discount fares like many European and Asian carriers do...

FL787

Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:12 am

I'm surprised they are still going to offer miles. Taking those away would seem like a logical next step.

jetblueguy22

Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:26 am

Well no seat selection means I'm going to be on higher than the bottom fares for once . Gotta have that window seat!
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

OB1504

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:00 am

Will customers still be able to choose their seats at check-in? At Spirit, there's an additional fee for seat selection if checking in with an agent (on top of the $5 boarding pass fee per customer), but it's free if you use the kiosk.

Quoting Jerseyguy (Reply 8):
You can't change the ticket even paying the $150 fee plus price changes. Besides they are only taking a very small amount off like $12 or $19.

For just $20, I don't know if this loss in flexibility will be worth it. Even on their penny fares, Spirit still allows changes, even if the change fee ($100 online, $125 at the airport) would exceed the value of the ticket.

Quoting FL787 (Reply 10):
I'm surprised they are still going to offer miles. Taking those away would seem like a logical next step.

Not as long as Spirit still offers full mileage credit on their lowest fares.

bomber996

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:01 am

If this were Facebook I would have "liked" this comment. Totally True!!

Peace   
Two biggest lies in aviation... "I'm from the FAA and I'm here to help you." & "Traffic in sight."

planeguy727

Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:54 am

I get the revenue perk if pax don't use the ticket since changes are not allowed. However, the seat thing could be interesting. I can just picture pax choosing this less expensive option and then asking at check in, at the gate, etc for seat changes. Is there anything planned that says "no seat changes"?
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

NWAESC

Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:03 am

Quoting planeguy727 (Reply 14):
I can just picture pax choosing this less expensive option and then asking at check in, at the gate, etc for seat changes. Is there anything planned that says "no seat changes"?

... And when the agents say no, trying again with the F/A's once in the cabin...

Should be a lot of fun...

P.S. I believe the boarding pass will be marked, but does anyone really think that will stop some people from trying?
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

crosswinds21

Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:48 am

I think that this is a great idea but as someone already said, I'm very surprised that they will still allow accrual of miles AND upgrades; it's odd that they won't allow seat selection, even for Elites, but will still allow them to upgrade. I personally think that if DL wants to compete with the likes of NK of G4, then having these "basis" fares be only a few dollars cheaper than the regular discounted fares won't make much difference. In my opinion, they should "seriously" lower the prices on these basis fares (i.e. instead of $200 for a traditional fare, make the basis fare more like $100) and take everything away - not only ability to make changes and reserve seats, but also mileage accrual, ability to upgrade, ability to check in with an agent, free beverages, etc. And also, they should increase the checked bag fees on these particular fares (and possibly charge for carry-ons). By doing this, this would allow them to successfully offer truly "dirt cheap" fares.

Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if AA, US, and UA start offering something like this too. It's quite a logical step.

Alnicocunife

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:11 pm

Time will tell if this fare scheme will ever work. For every action there is an equal and opposite (knee jerk) reaction. Testing the fare structure between two markets makes sense. Selling the tickets with no seat selection is a little like getting plane tickets or hotel rooms from Priceline or Hotwire except you know you will be flying on Delta. With Priceline and Hotwire you get a "cheap" ticket/room but you are not sure what or whom it is until you non-refundable payment is made. Today's market starts out as PRICE is everything................. but does not always ends up that way.

DLD9S

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:30 pm

I can just picture pax choosing this less expensive option and then asking at check in, at the gate, etc for seat changes. Is there anything planned that says "no seat changes"?
Quoting nwaesc (Reply 15):
... And when the agents say no, trying again with the F/A's once in the cabin...

...And melting down in the aisle cause she is traveling alone with 3 kids under the age of 6.
717 727 737 747 757 767 777 DC9 DC10 M80 M90 M11 L10 AB6 333 340 319 320 321 ARJ CRJ EM2 EMJ SF3 146 100 BE1...

xdlx

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:30 pm

DL overbooks most of their flights already. Even if you try to find a seat selection you cant

This should be called the OVERSOLD fare.

TomFoolery

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:32 pm

So after DL spent the last few years (since the NW/DL merger) trying to market themselves as a more up-market carrier, they introduce this?

Believe it or not, there is a certain brand recognition within the transport industry. A preception of quality and/or value with a major brand. If the customer feels that they did not get their moneys worth, they will surely question the wisdom of going with a brand like DL, and choose a lower cost option which will offer the same thing.

In other words, if they feel that they got burned, what would make them want to conduct repeat business?

This seems like a rather short sighted idea, and inconsistent with the direction that DL has been trying to portray.
Paper makes an airplane fly

ORDJOE

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:57 pm

I'm surprised they are still going to offer miles. Taking those away would seem like a logical next step

Considering their miles are worthless as it is (google the term skypeso and you will see) the company might figure it looks like they are tossing these bottom feeders a bone.

xdlx

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:59 pm

Quoting TomFoolery (Reply 20):

It is the result of a powerpoint presentation from some analyst... with figures like ... we can improve
"spoilage" by 23% or something like that. (spoilage) is the seats an airline considers unsold to a
paying customer at departure time.

DL has one of the highest LF in the industry, and have added seats to many airplanes. The objective
is to push the LF to the highest possible figure systemwide.
I agree this is inconsistent with the brand loyalty they are preaching to the "precious metals", but
they think that if they can be one thing to you in seat 3A and something else to Rita in 57K it is a
win win.

Like you observe many of the true road warriors have gone to WN...

WA707atMSP

Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:11 pm

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 11):
Well no seat selection means I'm going to be on higher than the bottom fares for once . Gotta have that window seat!
Blue

Twice in the last six months, I've reserved window seats near the front of the aircraft on DL flights, but the day before departure, their computer system has moved me against my wishes to middle seats at the back. Then, DL's computer system refused to allow me to change seats when I tried to check in.

In both cases I was able to work with DL reservations to get window seats assigned to me. However, I know I was very lucky to find res agents who were willing to assist me (it probably also helped that I tried to be extra-nice to them).

In my mind, there is no point paying extra to choose the seat you want on a DL flight, when there is a good chance their computer system will just take your seat assignment and give it to someone else.
Seaholm Maples are #1!

enilria

Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:15 pm

Quoting jporterfi (Reply 5):
It will be interesting to see how popular this is

People will always buy the lowest fare. No question of popularity.

757gb

Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:57 pm

Is there anything planned that says "no seat changes"?

As a matter of fact there is. The rules clearly state that the seat will be assigned at check in, and that once assigned it cannot be changed.

Regards,
GB
God is The Alpha and The Omega. We come from God. We go towards God. What an Amazing Journey...

coronado

Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:03 pm

Talking about Load Factors. News Release posted today on the Delta web site states a 4.4 point improvement in load factors during March.

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1582

Highlights:
March consolidated passenger unit revenue (PRASM) increased 13.0 percent compared to the prior year period as a result of strong demand, particularly from corporate customers, which generated improvements in yield and load factor across all regions. Revenue for the month exceeded prior expectations on improved close-in bookings and better Pacific performance. System traffic increased 2.0 percent on a 3.4 percent reduction in capacity, resulting in a 4.4 point improvement in load factor.

Delta employees also continued to make improvements to operating performance, a key satisfaction driver for customers. The company's preliminary DOT on-time arrival rate of 85.7 percent was 7.2 points higher year over year, and its mainline completion factor increased 0.6 points to 99.7 percent.

The company's financial and operational performance is detailed below.

Preliminary Financial and Operational Results – March 2012

Consolidated PRASM change year over year
13.0%
Consolidated average fuel price
$3.37
On-time performance (preliminary DOT A14)
85.7%
Mainline completion factor
99.7%
The Original Coronado: First CV jet flights RG CV 990 July 1965; DL CV 880 July 1965; Spantax CV990 Feb 1973

bluejuice

Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:17 pm

The race to the bottom continues. I can predict that people will moan and complain about this yet continue to book these tickets. Then there will be those that blindly book a Basic Economy ticket without reading the fare rules. I can see the countless Facebook postings about how DL "screwed them over" and they "will never fly Delta ever again" (at least until the next time DL is $1 cheaper than the next carrier).

mcogator

Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:23 pm

Quoting Jerseyguy (Reply 8):

I think more than likely they aren't taking anything off, they are just increasing L,U,T fares by $12-$19.
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

KingFriday013

Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:51 pm

What's weird is that I can't replicate this, and I really had to dig around to find any mention of it on Delta.com. Tried the dates from the screenshot from the BusinessInsider article and no luck, I even tried logging out so it wouldn't request an upgrade and that didn't make it show up. Not showing up for equivalent dates in May either.

The FAQs do tell a lot about all of this. Medallion members will be assigned preferred seats if any are available when the check-in window opens. And from what I can tell, I'll still get my free bags and I've read on other sites that they will still be upgrade eligible (for medallions). These tickets also get 100% mileage (including MQMs, at least for now). I rarely change my travel plans once they are booked, so I could see myself taking advantage of this option -- it it were significantly cheaper than a normal Y ticket. If it's only at most $20 less, I don't think it's worth it, at least not until I'm sure the rules will stay in place (i.e., they won't change it to 50% mileage before I go). I'm not sure why DL is letting people spend less and for that, not being able to pay DL an extra $150 to change a ticket; seems counter intuitive to me.

Quoting mcogator (Reply 28):
I think more than likely they aren't taking anything off, they are just increasing L,U,T fares by $12-$19.

That would be very unfortunate but equally likely   

-J.
Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you, By the livin' Gawd that made you, You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

nycdave

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:37 pm

Quoting SSTeve (Reply 6):
Granted I haven't poked around much recently, but seriously-- why don't sites offer checkboxes for the number of bags, etc?

Some of them do let you check a box to say "i want to see the price, with one checked back, or with two checked bags", but I'm wondering if there's a good way you could design a search to account for a customer's preferance of space, milage accrual, bags, food, etc...

Superfly

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:39 pm

So in other words, Delta is finally offering fares that reflect the low-quality service they've been offering for years?

Quoting GSPSPOT (Reply 3):
I dunno... Something about the last part of that just sounds "wrong".

I was thinking the same.

Quoting DLD9S (Reply 18):

...And melting down in the aisle cause she is traveling alone with 3 kids under the age of 6.

I feel sorry for the flight crew that have to operate these flights. I have a feeling many outburst from angry passengers will be on Youtube.

Quoting BlueJuice (Reply 27):
The race to the bottom continues. I can predict that people will moan and complain about this yet continue to book these tickets. Then there will be those that blindly book a Basic Economy ticket without reading the fare rules. I can see the countless Facebook postings about how DL "screwed them over" and they "will never fly Delta ever again" (at least until the next time DL is $1 cheaper than the next carrier).

Everytime I book tickets, Delta always come up the lowest but they'll never fool me. It's always worth it to pay a higher fare on another carrier that doesn't have extra cost attached.

I would only fly Delta just to get on a DC-9.
Otherwise, I avoid them at all cost.
Bring back the Concorde

flyabr

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:40 pm

Let me guess, when the flight is oversold...the folks that paid for the super duper low fare class ticket are the first to get kicked off the flight!

highflier92660

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:42 pm

"...and do not consider seat choice an important part of their travel experience."

Oh sure, I don't consider squeezing my 6' 4" swimmer's frame in the center seat between two contestants for TVs "The Biggest Loser" to be part of my travel experience. That would really perk up my day by the time I got to Tampa.

I believe this is a test market approach to gauge the importance of seat selection.

RKSofACinUSA

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:58 pm

We tried this years ago at Air Canada when we launched our basic "Tango" fares. On our website we offered 'opt out' options. Take $5 off your fare for no mileage accumulation. Take $5 off your fare if not checking any baggage. Take $10 off your fare to make your ticket non-changeable. We stopped doing this I believe because it was a customer service nightmare. Everyone thinks it's a good idea when they are reducing their fare but nobody thinks it's a good idea when something unexpected happens and they change their mind later.

Also, many have caught on to the fact that if a flight is oversold and nobody volunteers to give up their seats, it is those with no seat assignments that are involuntarily bumped.

ikramerica

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:06 pm

Good for college kids who know exactly when they must travel, travel alone, etc. not family friendly though.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

PHX787

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:43 pm

My question about this is: How would this work on an overbooked flight?
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

OB1504

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:09 pm

Quoting DLD9S (Reply 18):

I would assume that when the system automatically assigns seats, it would try to seat customers together if they're traveling on the same reservation.

Working check-in for Spirit once, there were no empty pairs of seats left in economy on a flight (only individual ones), so when I entered the command for random seat assignment, they were upgraded to a pair of seats in Big Front Seat at no charge.

Quoting 757gb (Reply 25):
As a matter of fact there is. The rules clearly state that the seat will be assigned at check in, and that once assigned it cannot be changed.

Not even for a fee? If they're going to offer a bare bones ticket class, they may as well go all the way and maximize every available revenue generating opportunity.

It happens at Spirit every day. In the words of CEO Ben Baldanza: "Let him tell the world how bad we are. He's never flown us before anyway and will be back when we save him a penny."

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 35):
Good for college kids who know exactly when they must travel, travel alone, etc. not family friendly though.

Agreed; the ULCC model has been a dream come true for me this year, since I can finally afford to travel to New York, Boston, Denver, Washington DC, etcetera at a moment's whim.

BOACCunard

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:17 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 31):
Everytime I book tickets, Delta always come up the lowest but they'll never fool me. It's always worth it to pay a higher fare on another carrier that doesn't have extra cost attached.

Notwithstanding this particular fare experiment, what extra costs are attached on DL that aren't on other carriers?
Getting There is Half the Fun!

Superfly

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:43 pm

Quoting BOACCunard (Reply 38):
Notwithstanding this particular fare experiment, what extra costs are attached on DL that aren't on other carriers?

Drinks, luggage and sometimes meals. Also if you need to change your flights, their penalties are higher compared to non-US carriers.
I've never had these extra fees with Thai Airways, Singapore, ANA, Cathay Pacific, Iberia, Philippines Air and even Aeroflot.
Bring back the Concorde

peanuts

Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:24 pm

The race to the bottom continues.

Wrong.
Ask yourself: what is a carriers primary goal with a fixed number of seats on an airplane? To fill them 100% with the most revenue possible.
DL is approaching this in an extremely multifaceted and efficient way.

First and foremost: Premium travelers.
Last but not least: Buddy Passes

In between: everything that works without compromising the other.

This (Basic Economy) does not diminish their product at all, it enhances it. Consumers have a choice. And DL is trying to squeeze just a bit more juice out of the orange...

FURUREFA

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:20 pm

Quoting KingFriday013 (Reply 29):
What's weird is that I can't replicate this, and I really had to dig around to find any mention of it on Delta.com. Tried the dates from the screenshot from the BusinessInsider article and no luck, I even tried logging out so it wouldn't request an upgrade and that didn't make it show up. Not showing up for equivalent dates in May either.

It's only available in select markets (mostly Florida).

ContnlEliteCMH

Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:31 pm

On flights that aren't full, why involve the F/A? I see an empty seat, and I move to it. Seems pretty simple to me. Heck, I've actually done it.
Christianity. Islam. Hinduism. Anthropogenic Global Warming. All are matters of faith!

N766UA

Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:36 pm

Quoting Jerseyguy (Reply 4):
Ooh a whole $19, they sure are gonna give Spirit a run for their money

If you value your legs, I'd bet 20 bucks off a flight is enough to woo some people over. The ONLY thing Spirit has going for it is airfare.
This Website Censors Me

FlyASAGuy2005

Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:49 am

Quoting xdlx (Reply 19):
DL overbooks most of their flights already. Even if you try to find a seat selection you cant

This should be called the OVERSOLD fare.

Many times i've priced tickets for friends on DL.com sometimes a month out and there will only be about 10-20 seats left for pre-selection but looking in our actual inventory its clsoe to 50. These days if you want seat before day of departure you better buy a month or more in advanced. I've seen that within the last 30 days, your likely going to have "Confirmed - Seat Request on your boarding pass".

So in other words, Delta is finally offering fares that reflect the low-quality service they've been offering for years?

I guess you should make a sign for the millions of happy travelers that flew Delta last year. Our on-time performance and customer satisfaction has never been this high (right up there with the top performers) and broke baggage records not once, not twice, but 3 times. One month our bag deals were the lowest in aviation history (since they've been reporting).

Otherwise, I avoid them at all cost.

*Kanye Shrug*

Quoting flyabr (Reply 32):
Let me guess, when the flight is oversold...the folks that paid for the super duper low fare class ticket are the first to get kicked off the flight!

Based on how the rules are set up and the software is written, not always.

Quoting Highflier92660 (Reply 33):

Oh sure, I don't consider squeezing my 6' 4" swimmer's frame in the center seat between two contestants for TVs "The Biggest Loser" to be part of my travel experience. That would really perk up my day by the time I got to Tampa.

Well then wouldn't it be logical to just bot buy this fare class? It's in plain view and black and white that this is for people that don't change their plans and dont care about pre-assigned seating. Clearly the family of 4 traveling DTW-MCO should stay away. If they still choose to take the plung even though they have all the info in front of them, then that's on them.

It boggles my mind how little responsibilitya some people take when purchasing tickets. It's the same thing with Spirit. Don't get pissed off when you get to the gate and the agent makes you pay for your carry-on even though you THINK it will fit under the seat. IF it was an issue you should have flown someone else but you chose the lowest option.
What gets measured gets done.

sccutler

Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:29 am

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 44):
Many times i've priced tickets for friends on DL.com sometimes a month out and there will only be about 10-20 seats left for pre-selection but looking in our actual inventory its clsoe to 50. These days if you want seat before day of departure you better buy a month or more in advanced. I've seen that within the last 30 days, your likely going to have "Confirmed - Seat Request on your boarding pass".

AA has effectively done away with pre-selection of seats for all but the bad-ass mega-milers. I bought three seats just shy of two months out, and there was not a single seat available for selecting outbound, and only two on the return.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

TomFoolery

Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:55 am

Quoting enilria (Reply 24):
People will always buy the lowest fare. No question of popularity.

Disagree. Some buy based on the product that they need- flex conditions come at a price. How do you account for people buying full Y fares, or even First and Business class tickets?

I will agree that often, price does play a major hand, but there is brand loyalty as well. Consider UA and AA out of ORD, both serve the same routes. I am confident that there are consumers who will pay the difference in fare to fly their preferred carrier, even if it is more. Bear in mind, the essential products and level of service are the same. They may even be the same aircraft type.

Quoting mcogator (Reply 28):

I was considering this as well.

Does anyone know which fare class this would be?

usdcaguy

Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:54 am

Quoting TomFoolery (Reply 46):

Does anyone know which fare class this would be?

This is "E" class, the lowest of DL's inventory buckets, when it is actually available to book. One thing people are forgetting is that these fares are cheaper than the lowest normal fares that allow preassigned seating. That would conceivably allow some to purchase a ticket when they would otherwise not be able to. What's terrible is the difference between flying Delta in some of these markets and the price of a Greyhound ticket:

Detroit to Ft. Myers, delta.com: $229.60 RT - with E fare out 6/12 returning 6/19
Detroit to Ft. Myers, greyhound.com: $198.99 RT

Greyhound doesn't offer seat selection either, and it takes 1d 17h 35m to get to Ft. Myers and involves four buses. Imagine being stuck next to someone that reeked, then someone who talked your ear off, someone that felt you up and then someone who wanted to rob you during this trip of misery. During all those hours, there are no staff available to complain to except the driver, who is busy driving. Think those layovers are pleasant? Think your connecting bus will be on time and that Greyhound will cover the price of a hotel if you miss your connection? What if they overbook? Bye-bye compensation. What Delta is offering, a fare that is only $30 more and a trip time of only 2h52m, is a steal.

NWAESC

Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:12 pm

Quoting ContnlEliteCMH (Reply 42):
On flights that aren't full, why involve the F/A? I see an empty seat, and I move to it. Seems pretty simple to me. Heck, I've actually done it.

Same here.

My point was, there will be people traveling together that will see the "no seat changes," and buy anyway, thinking they game the system. They'll to the airport, see that they're not all seated together, and ask to change. The agent will say no, so they'll get onboard and try again, asking the F/A's, and/or orchestrating their own game of musical chairs. It has the potential of further bogging down an already slow boarding process...
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

TomFoolery

Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:25 pm

Quoting usdcaguy (Reply 47):
What's terrible is the difference between flying Delta in some of these markets and the price of a Greyhound ticket:

Detroit to Ft. Myers, delta.com: $229.60 RT - with E fare out 6/12 returning 6/19
Detroit to Ft. Myers, greyhound.com: $198.99 RT

Not sure about DL going head-to-head with Greyhound, but more like Spirit and Southwest (DTW being a Spirit base as well). I am curious why DL is inclined to modify their level of service in line with carriers who operates to a completely different business strategy.

Is DL really going to save money by disabling the seat selection function in their booking system? I could almost see a point in booking the least desirable seats (middle seats) to the low-rev pax, saving the better seats for the higher-rev pax.

This whole thing just doesnt make sense to me...It is like spending $10 for a hamburger that tastes just like a $5 hamburger. Hey, whatever works, Delta!