HeeseokKoo
Topic Author

Kids Not Allowed On Malaysia 380 Upper Deck Y

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:51 am

Remember this thread?

Infant Not Allowed On Malaysia 747 First Class (by HeeseokKoo Jun 19 2011 in Civil Aviation)

Well, this is part 2 and much weaker version. Upper deck economy class on MH 380 won't allow kids under 12 years old, include infants. This is to protect business-purpose travelers in economy class from kids-related noise (or many things else). I bet many of you will actually like this policy.

MH will have 70 Y seats on upper deck and 350 Y seats on lower deck. MH 380 has 66J on upper deck and infants-blocked 8F on lower deck. MH will start 380 operation from this summer, one daily each to LHR and SYD.

Source (Korean only):
http://info.topasweb.com/BBS/BBSView...bbs_kind=2&info_div=1&info_code=mh

airtran737

RE: Kids Not Allowed On Malaysia 380 Upper Deck Y

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:59 am

Sounds like a wonderful policy. The aircraft has plenty of room to segregate the kids from business passengers.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

stasisLAX

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:01 am

Quoting HeeseokKoo (Thread starter):
I bet many of you will actually like this policy.

Like? Absolutely LOVE this policy!! On a long haul flight where I was trying to get some work done and then get a little sleep, this would definitely be a "selling point" to me.   
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

AirlineCritic

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:05 am

I want on a deck that prohibits talkative, loud voice business travelers and their oversize handbaggage 

Quokkas

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:19 am

I imagine that having no small children on the upper deck would also be an advantage in the unlikely event of an evacuation. There may be less risk of injury in leaving from the lower deck, particularly to parents with infants.
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

ba319-131

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:19 am

Quoting airtran737 (Reply 1):
Sounds like a wonderful policy

- Agreed, that's where I'd sit!

I'd also like them to ban people from playing their music too loud, nothing worse than hearing somebody elses music blasting out of their earphones.
111,732,3,4,5,7,8,BBJ,741,742,743,744,752,762,763,764,772,77L,773,77W,L15,D10,30,40,AB3,AB6,A312.313,319,320,321,332,333

aerorobnz

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:21 am

If only MH was in the Star Alliance - then I'd be well and truly keen on flying MH.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

AF1624

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:22 am

This is brilliant, where do I sign?

It would have been a problem if they forbade kids flying altogether, which they can't do. This here though is just... a good idea. I wish other airlines could apply it, on other aircraft. Maybe by placing the kids on a certain section of the plane.

Although this would probably be a problem re: weight & balance ahah.
Cheers

BreninTW

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:22 am

Quoting AirlineCritic (Reply 3):
I want on a deck that prohibits talkative, loud voice business travelers and their oversize handbaggage

I totally agree!

With all the vitriol directed at children here on a.net, I find it telling that the most obnoxious, loud, irritating fellow passenger I've ever experienced was sitting upstairs in business class and very much an adult.

One trip I had a family with five children -- ranging from a few months old to teenagers -- sitting next to me. The kids were a delight to be seated next to and I had a lot of fun playing silly games with the 5-year-old. They were quiet and well-behaved. I'd take them over some adults any day!

EVAAIRBR076

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:35 am

As some of u like the policy witch I can understand in some way, I don't agree with it. It sounds like discrimination and I am wondering if they can get away with it. I am wondering if they can refuse if I want to buy an business or firstclass ticket for my kid and myself. And what's next no arabs allowed in y class because they could be terrorist, or no Indians allowed because they smell, no english and russian people because they always drunk etc I could go on for a long time. U were all young once too and most of u flew at that time when u were young. I think most cases it are the parent who to blame, I always try not to bother other people with my child, stay with her, try to book a two row seat etc. there are many ways to entertain your child, and believe me I always fly and-bkk.

EVAAIRBR076

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:37 am

It must be AMS-BKK  

SQ22
Crew

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:16 am

Quoting Quokkas (Reply 4):

On my last trip from JFK to FRA on a SQ 744 there were to business traveller in the upper deck, they were sitting three rows behind me and they were really annoying how loud they were talking. It was like they wanted that everybody could hear how tough guys they are.

So in general I would suggest to think about cabin compartements with a low noise policy. Like it is on express trains in Denmark, Germany and I guess in a lot of other countries.

Not every kid is loud.

PanHAM

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:26 am

Good choice. Makes it easy to explain to the spoiled brats that mommy and daddy ride in first and they have to sit with their nanny in eco. Blame it on airline policy....

Quoting SQ22 (Reply 11):
Not every kid is loud.

...and if they are, just tell them to go and play outside
powered by Eierlikör

Tsveto4nik

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:40 am

Quoting EVAAIRBR076 (Reply 9):

Fully agree... looks like the most a.netters on this thread were born adults... If Malaysia will have such policy it means they lose my money... no airlines in the world should suggest me what I have to do and where my daughter has to sit when I'm paying for business class... taking into consideration that MH's business class is not cheapest in the world I'll find another option for in/out KUL

Quokkas

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:41 am

Quoting SQ22 (Reply 11):
Quoting Quokkas (Reply 4):

That quote was not made by me but by AirlineCritic (Reply 3). Personally, I don't worry where children sit on an aircraft any more than I care about where any one else chooses to sit. As long as passengers remember that they are in public and behave accordingly and with consideration for others, I am fine.
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

hz747300

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:48 am

Well, this is part 2 and much weaker version. Upper deck economy class on MH 380 won't allow kids under 12 years old, include infants. This is to protect business-purpose travelers in economy class from kids-related noise (or many things else). I bet many of you will actually like this policy.

They should really do the honorable thing and put the kids in the cargo hold. Or better, like the lavatories under the A346, that should be where families with children sit.
Keep on truckin'...

spacecadet

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:50 am

It sounds like discrimination and I am wondering if they can get away with it.

What "discrimination"? If anything, it's discrimination against people without kids because they only have 70 Y seats to choose from whereas those with kids have 350.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

BMI727

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:52 am

I want on a deck that prohibits talkative, loud voice business travelers
Quoting BreninTW (Reply 8):
I find it telling that the most obnoxious, loud, irritating fellow passenger I've ever experienced was sitting upstairs in business class and very much an adult.
Quoting SQ22 (Reply 11):
On my last trip from JFK to FRA on a SQ 744 there were to business traveller in the upper deck, they were sitting three rows behind me and they were really annoying how loud they were talking.

Where in this thread or anywhere else did anyone state that adults cannot be loud or annoying?

Besides, it's a simple matter of probability. The chance of a baby or small child being disruptive is far greater than that of a business traveler being disruptive. I don't see how pointing out that some businessmen are rude and annoying makes toddlers any quieter.

Quoting Tsveto4nik (Reply 13):
looks like the most a.netters on this thread were born adults...

Who said that? And even if some posters were once ill-behaved as children how does that make having loud disruptive kids now okay? Just because this policy wasn't in force before doesn't make it wrong. It makes it wrong that it wasn't enacted earlier.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

cygnuschicago

Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:09 am

Personally, I believe when we as a society start viewing children as an inconvenience instead of an asset, we are truly doomed.

I fly over 200,000 annually, and many of my flights are transatlantic or coast-to-coast red-eyes. In that time I have only once been kept awake by a child, and even then it was for only about an hour on a Miami to Sao Paulo. When I read the above posts, I get a distinct feeling that folks are anti-kids with zero experience of flying with kids. Most kids seem to cry at take-off and landing, and after that are quite settled in. I've experienced much more discomfort from the idiots that, when the cabin is darkened, suddenly decide to open up their window-shade fully, flooding the cabin with light, just so they can stare at the water on the transatlantic flight.

Maybe things are different in Malaysia. Maybe Malaysian Airlines carries way more kids, and those kids are way more unruly. Regardless, it seems just as arbitrarily discriminatory to me as if they had put in a "no men" section.
If you cannot do the math, your opinion means squat!

ozglobal

Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:51 am

As some of u like the policy witch I can understand in some way, I don't agree with it. It sounds like discrimination and I am wondering if they can get away with it. I am wondering if they can refuse if I want to buy an business or firstclass ticket for my kid and myself. And what's next no arabs allowed in y class because they could be terrorist, or no Indians allowed because they smell, no english and russian people because they always drunk etc I could go on for a long time. U were all young once too and most of u flew at that time when u were young. I think most cases it are the parent who to blame, I always try not to bother other people with my child, stay with her, try to book a two row seat etc. there are many ways to entertain your child, and believe me I always fly and-bkk.

Discrimination? Yes.

Unjust discrimination? Absolutely not.

No one is even being refused carriage.

Discrimination is perfectly fine. It's how we make the right choices (recruitment, buying quality, only serving alcohol to adults, etc, etc). UNJUST discrimination is a moral evil and certainly not part of the above policy.
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

CHRISBA777ER

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:05 am

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 2):

Like? Absolutely LOVE this policy!! On a long haul flight where I was trying to get some work done and then get a little sleep, this would definitely be a "selling point" to me

Agreed. I'd go as far as saying I (and my employers) would gladly pay a premium on top of the ticket to be certain of no screeching kids. If the ticket cost £900 LHR-KUL-SYD I'd be absolutely fine about paying £100+.

Fantastic idea.

I happen to think long-haul air travel is unfair on the kids and should not even be considered with kids under 6 unless an absolute emergency. I dont care how well behaved they are or you think they are - you cannot expect a young child to sit still for 11 hours and not make any noise, and that being the case it is unfair on the rest of the passengers as well.

Dont get me wrong, I like kids, I just think that when you have them you should understand what that means and adjust your life accordingly, and understand how your kids affect other people's lives.

I think this is a bloody brilliant idea. Yet another reason why I absolutely love the A380.
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

SQ22
Crew

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:19 am

Quoting Quokkas (Reply 14):
That quote was not made by me but by AirlineCritic (Reply 3). Personally, I don't worry where children sit on an aircraft any more than I care about where any one else chooses to sit. As long as passengers remember that they are in public and behave accordingly and with consideration for others, I am fine.

Typo, sorry. Beside this I totally agree.

SKAirbus

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:23 am

Brilliant policy. All airlines should do this... Segregate a section of economy class where no kids are allowed.
Next Flights: LHR-OSL (738), OSL-CPH (320), CPH-LHR (321), LHR-HEL (359), HEL-LHR (359)

nclmedic

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:31 am

It sounds like discrimination and I am wondering if they can get away with it.

It's no more discrimination than having child-free areas in restaurants etc. What might have been slightly more PR friendly for MH would have been to market lower level Y as a 'child-friendly' zone (easier, quicker boarding; dedicated/trained crew). If due to op reasons a family need to be seated upstairs I can't personally imagine MH stranding them at a foreign airport somewhere.

I don't particularly like screaming babies on a flight (who does?) but by far my biggest gripe is parents of older children who think that just because they've made it onboard the security of an enclosed aircraft they're now absolved of all parenting duties, and can let their kids run riot. This recently happened on a flight between LGW and UVF, and the British family that didn't seem to care about the rest of us was in stark contrast to the Trinidad (single) parent in front of me who tirelessly worked to keep her kids quiet and entertained for the whole 9 hours.

aerorobnz

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:45 am

Finding options which may draw customers to an airline over another is an important aspect of airline business today be it in the form of unique/distinctive product/delivery or options such as this. It doesn't cost MH any more to offer or not offer this childless cabin which is good for MH and good for those who think the option is worth flying MH for.

I'm all in favour of airlines also creating child/family friendly options too- we all have to travel and be happy doing so.

I can name many things based on things that either aggravate me in-flight, or from observations of others
- Cabins without overhead lockers, for those of us who don't need much/any cabin luggage
- Childless Cabins
- Single traveller zones (where they don't have to slot between families/groups/couples in middle seats and can actually get the seat requests they want without having to first accomodate those who HAVE to be seated together even if they don't utter a single word to each other in flight
- Family only cabins (with cabin specific activities and storytime)
- "Do not disturb" cabins for those who only want to sleep.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

tonystan

Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:02 am

Will there be an additional charge so to sit upstairs?
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

EY460

Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:15 am

I think it's a great idea to have a quiet section on the A380 since space allows it. However, I wouldn't say "no-children" only. It should be a section where all noises should be minimised (loud talking, music from headphones, etc.) and where the lights would be dimmed for most of the flight. It would be similar to the "sleeping" Virgin Upper Class section. And for people who want a traditional economy class section there are plenty seats downstairs.

frigatebird

Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:58 am

Quoting tonystan (Reply 25):
Will there be an additional charge so to sit upstairs?

Although it sounds great having a Y seat on the upper deck, I wasn't really thrilled after my flight on the upper deck of the AF A380 to JNB. It looked perfect, window seat by the emergency exit, but the curvature of the side wall made it feel rather cramped, having to lean over my neighbour's seat when I wanted to leave or get back into my seat. Was a bit disappointed with the location of the window, pretty far behind me, but the biggest setback was the overhead lockers, having a size not bigger than the opening of a letterbox. I only had a small backpack, but it took some effort to get it in - and that made it full, no room for my neighbour's hand luggage! Who, strangely, had to pay 70 pounds extra for the seat!

So, being on the upper deck of the A380 isn't always that much of a blessing - certainly not worth paying extra.
146,318/19/20/21,AB6,332,343,345,388,722,732/3/4/5/G/8,9,742,74E,744,752,762,763,772,77E,773,77W,AT4/7,ATP,CRK,E90,F50/7

OA260

Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:05 am

Another reason to fly MH . Kudos to them . The number of times I have been forced to sit in front or behind screaming babies and kids often their parents leave them to run riot . A quiet Y class area is perfect. As for the loud J class pax , 70% of my flights are J class and 30% Y class. The number of instances I have encountered disruptive J class passengers I can count on one hand . The number of disruptive kids I have encountered in Y class on my flights I would need more hands  

Great idea more airlines should bring this in . Nothing worse than having your flight ruined by disruptive kids.   

B2468

Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:57 am

I think this is a great idea! I know that my sister and I were little hellions when we were small, and I am sure that passengers around us, as well as my parents would have been far more comfortable if there were a part of the aircraft for families with small children. Of course, in the past given the layout of passenger cabins, it wasn't feasible, but the A380 offers a great opportunity to do this.

Honestly, I don't really agree with putting the age cut-off at 12...seems a little high to me...I'd like to see it down around 9 or 10. Generally, by that age, children are starting to understand that there are behavioral standards that they should maintain in public (of course that is assuming the parents take their parenting responsibilities seriously).

Though, I agree that MH should be marketing the lower deck as "Child-Friendly Seating" or "Family-Friendly Seating"...it just sounds far more positive, and makes MH look less like they are restricting access to seating, and more like they are offering an enhanced product for families with children.

I do understand the concerns of passengers with children, and the feeling of unfairness, but we just have to realize that infants simply can't express themselves verbally at all, and airline travel can be very distressing due to the unfamiliar environment and the ear discomfort that they can't relieve...the only form of expression infants have is to cry and scream. Toddlers and other young children, even those that are usually well-behaved, simply haven't developed the emotional tools to adequately handle some of the stresses airline travel (which, lets face it, in Y can be quite stressing even for adults), and sometimes they just melt down. I think if MH just tweaks its marketing to give a more positive message, this is a great compromise that addresses the comfort of everyone on board.
CNC/DH4/ERJ/306/310/319/320/332/333/343/346/388/72S/731/732/733/734/73G/738/741/744/74E/752/762/763/77E/77W/D95/D1C/M82

standby87

Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:30 pm

Is it partly safety related? It's a long way down that upper-deck slide - actually that would be rather fun for some children I know and I have bred  

ikramerica

Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:52 pm

Same arguments as every other kid thread. Fact is this is 1/6th of the Y cabin, hardly discrimination.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

vhtje

Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:15 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 17):
Besides, it's a simple matter of probability. The chance of a baby or small child being disruptive is far greater than that of a business traveler being disruptive. I don't see how pointing out that some businessmen are rude and annoying makes toddlers any quieter.

That is the most sensible post on a sensitive topic I have read on this forum in a long time. Welcome to my respected user list.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

antonovman

Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:23 pm

many years ago I worked for Pan Am and there were no kids allowed in the first class section then.

babybus

Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:41 pm

Quoting airtran737 (Reply 1):
Sounds like a wonderful policy. The aircraft has plenty of room to segregate the kids from business passengers.

I'll second that. Some of us just want to snooze or watch the film not listen and watch kids running up and down the aisle.

Another plus for flying the Malaysian A380.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

Gingersnap

Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:49 pm

I have children and I think it's a good idea.

I have flown with my sons on many occasions, and there is nothing more embarrassing that your child becoming unruly and running amuck.
Of course I pride myself in being able to ensure good behaviour; but kids just don't want to co-operate. The worst was my son unbuckled his seat belt whilst we were still waiting for departure. The L1 door was still open and he made a beeline for that door.
Wasn't scared as he'd flown many times before, but it was a horrible situation and you can feel the eyes burning into you when you're sorting the situation out.
Whilst they are both well behaved for the most part, things happen and they're not always easy to overcome. So to create a space for people with low tolerance levels can only be a good thing.
Flown on: A306 A319/20/21 A332 B732/3/4/5/7/8 B742/4 B752 B762/3 B772/W C152 E195 F70/100 MD-82 Q400

ORDJOE

Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:57 pm

I will take a loud annoying adult any day over some screaming chilid, I love this policy and it is amazing how people are screaming mad over the fact that 70 out of the 400+ Y seats are adults only.

As for F and J I totally agree ban them, the vast majority of the people who actually buy F and J tickets are people traveling on the company dollar. The company is not paying for these seats for the meals or booze, it is so they can get some work done and be rested and ready to go. When I travel to Europe for work I work just about a full day, go to ORD fly out and go right from LHR or where ever to the office, I need some time in the air to get some sleep in.

Overall why cant we just go back to the times where people were considerate of each other, people did not talk loudly, parents would silence there kids, and if there was a problem someone would ask the person politely to stop..

Kudos to MH, all the reason more I am looking foreward to flying them once they join OW.

mogandoCI

Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:59 pm

If I were flying F or J i'd pay good money for an airline that endorses "child-unfriendly zones".

As a non-married person, my tax dollars already subsidize their unruly brat. Why must I suffer during my vacation too ?

Those uncaring parents who have a sense of entitlement need a dose of reality.

LXa332

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:44 pm

I would like that. I was on ATL-ZRH with 2 businessmen 10 rows behind me. I could hear them, even with IFE.

Quoting hz747300 (Reply 15):
They should really do the honorable thing and put the kids in the cargo hold. Or better, like the lavatories under the A346, that should be where families with children sit.

WestJet pulled this for an April Fool's Day joke.

http://todaytravel.today.msnbc.msn.c...airline-pulls-an-april-fools-prank

vt977

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:46 pm

i totally agree with you...
A conclusion is what you reach when you get tired of thinking.

1stfl94

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:36 pm

Quoting ORDJOE (Reply 36):
I will take a loud annoying adult any day over some screaming chilid, I love this policy and it is amazing how people are screaming mad over the fact that 70 out of the 400+ Y seats are adults only.

Personally I'd take the annoying child over the adult. Children can at least learn (even if by 'accidently' putting my seat right back when they kick or stick a leg in the aisle when they're running   ) that their behaviour isn't acceptable. Annoying adults on planes tend to either be drunk, obnxious or both and usually think their immune from behaving like the rest of us.

I do think MH are going in the right direction but I would rather see full quiet cabins introduced similar to the sleeper zones you sometimes get in biz class, i.e. no electronics, lights out as soon as takeoff

PlunaCRJ

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:36 pm

The problem I see with this is that it creates differences inside a single class. Lets put aside for a minute the issue of if children "annoy and bother" fellow travellers or not. Why would this better "service" only be limited to a certain few of the total Y passengers (the ones sitting on the upper deck) ?

Unless the "child free upper deck" is sold with some kind of differentiation from the regular Y, I don´t find this fair.

And mind you, I have never been bothered in a flight by a child. Yes, they sometimes get a bit loud during boarding, sometimes even kick the back of my seat at that time, but it has been my experience that once after takeoff and during cruise they usually settle down, and many times even go to sleep.

Regards,

spacecadet

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:28 pm

Quoting PlunaCRJ (Reply 41):
The problem I see with this is that it creates differences inside a single class. Lets put aside for a minute the issue of if children "annoy and bother" fellow travellers or not. Why would this better "service" only be limited to a certain few of the total Y passengers (the ones sitting on the upper deck) ?

Do you also feel this way about "quiet cars" on trains? What about "women only" cars as they have in Japan? Do these cars discriminate against men?

Would it make a difference to you if it was labeled a "quiet cabin" rather than a child-free one, even if the effect was the same?
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

Cadet985

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:52 pm

Quoting AF1624 (Reply 7):
This is brilliant, where do I sign?

It would have been a problem if they forbade kids flying altogether, which they can't do. This here though is just... a good idea. I wish other airlines could apply it, on other aircraft. Maybe by placing the kids on a certain section of the plane.
http://www.viralviralvideos.com/2012...es-child-free-flights-april-fools/

I'd pay good money for a flight like this, the next transatlantic or red eye I take...

Marc

PlunaCRJ

Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:02 pm

Quoting spacecadet (Reply 42):
Would it make a difference to you if it was labeled a "quiet cabin" rather than a child-free one, even if the effect was the same?

I don´t think you understood me.

I was talking about the problems of making differences inside a single class of travel, not about the "child free" zone ethics.

Suppose for example that we both purchase same fare Y tickets for a given MH A380 flight. As it turns out, I get assigned a seat in the main deck, and you get assigned a seat on the upper deck.

Now, why would you enjoy a much more pleasant flight in the "quiet cabin" than me? What did I do to deserve to be stuck in the "noisy" cabin? That´s why I say that unless there is a price difference, this sort of differentiation inside a single class is unfair.

Regards,

Viscount724

Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:05 pm

This is to protect business-purpose travelers in economy class from kids-related noise (or many things else). I bet many of you will actually like this policy.

I prefer the new WestJet policy (sorry, 3 days late).
http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/deals/promo-code/april-fools.shtml

1stfl94

Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:35 pm

Quoting PlunaCRJ (Reply 44):
Suppose for example that we both purchase same fare Y tickets for a given MH A380 flight. As it turns out, I get assigned a seat in the main deck, and you get assigned a seat on the upper deck.

Now, why would you enjoy a much more pleasant flight in the "quiet cabin" than me? What did I do to deserve to be stuck in the "noisy" cabin? That´s why I say that unless there is a price difference, this sort of differentiation inside a single class is unfair.

Airlines already do this charging for example charging for exit row seats or to reserve seats in advance, this would be the same principle.

fiscal

Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:33 pm

It is not the fact that there would be no kids that would attract me to the upper deck of the MH a380, but rather the fact that there are some 2 seaters up there....

PHX787

Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:16 pm

Quoting 1stfl94 (Reply 40):
I do think MH are going in the right direction but I would rather see full quiet cabins introduced similar to the sleeper zones you sometimes get in biz class, i.e. no electronics, lights out as soon as takeoff

I'm gonna find an excuse to fly to Malaysia just to experience this. I think, especially with airlines here in the states, they should cordon off 2 or 3 rows just for quiet, business-related travel. Perhaps in the Y+ section of the plane.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

roseflyer

Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:26 pm

I hope that in addition to limiting children to the lower deck, they are adding some features as well in that part of the cabin for families with children. It makes sense to limit the bassinets to that area and also limit lavatories with changing tables to the lower deck.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did it to create a quiet cabin on the upper deck as a marketing tool, but I'd hope that they also hope they have kid friendly features downstairs.

I remember taking a look at the distribution of children on long haul flights and long haul flights to/from Asia have a higher percentage of children compared to the North Atlantic.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!