as77w

United Charter 747 In ANC

Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:47 pm

Saw an interesting aircraft arrive here in ANC this morning, around 0500L. First heard it over frequency, United 1892 Heavy, which caught my attention because we usually don't see too many United heavies here, aside from the flurry of 777s we saw last month. Anyways, I took a ride out on the ramp to check it out, and was surprised to see a unique airplane. It was a plain blue and white aircraft, with United Charter printed along the side where just "United" would usually be.

I never knew United operated an aircraft like this. The tail was N194UA. I also found this:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL1892

What kind of configuration do they use? I am assuming it is all Y seating to maxmize seating since it is just used for charters, but I honestly don't have a clue.

Also found this old thread which includes some pictures and info about the aircraft:

United Charter 747-400 N194UA (by 71Zulu Jan 19 2012 in Civil Aviation)?

I would appreciate it if anybody could inform me as to what it was doing here in ANC from Eilson AFB, and also give me any information regarding how United uses it in general.

Thanks.

flyPBA

RE: United Charter 747 In ANC

Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:11 pm

It is a United 744 that was leased to and painted in the full colors of Atlas Air.

The 744 was returned to united recently sans Atlas titles and tail logo.

it is being used for military charters ...

jetblast

Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:30 pm

I was on the aircraft in BWI when it was flying under the Atlas Air livery, the interior was still the old United seats. Not sure if they have been updated now that the airplane is back with UA.

F class

J class lower deck

J class upper deck

Y
Speedbird Concorde One

atcsundevil
Crew

Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:23 pm

Quoting jetblast (Reply 2):
Not sure if they have been updated now that the airplane is back with UA.

No, it is still in the old config. I'm assuming they've made it a dedicated charter so they don't have to retrofit the new cabin on an aircraft that will probably be parked soon.
Forum Moderator

kfitz

Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:45 am

The last UA 744 in the old config. Definitely miss the old wall furnishings and carpets v Ipte.

Thanks for the photo Jetblast, most appreciated. Also, call me a sucker for nostalgia, but those F suites were as great in 2001 as they are today. they were designed for, and initially rolled out with, a mattress pad. I definitely miss the integrated fold out work table (which you can spot in the photo), and the collapsable armrest to escape during meal service. the ipte suites are nice, but they are definitely designed to be more lightweight - the old suites are better built materially speaking.

I believe AA and UA announced and deployed their sleeper suites at around the same time, though UA deployed it across the entire intl. fleet and AA only the 777s. Up until just 2008, UA and AA were the only US carriers to offer a lie flat seating experience. Ua F was definitely more coveted in those pre-Ipte days and was, in my opinion, one of the factors that elevated United's status in the Pacific region and helped to cultivate it's premium status among premium traffic on both sides.

[Edited 2012-04-07 19:06:48]

jetblast

Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:44 am

Quoting kfitz (Reply 4):
Thanks for the photo Jetblast, most appreciated.

My pleasure. I have a bunch more, if you are interested shoot me a PM.

My only experience with the old UA cabins was a J seat IAD-ORD on the 777, not enough to really formulate much of an opinion!
Speedbird Concorde One

Bluewave 707

Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:26 pm

It still has the Atlas blue markings, but the titles has been replaced with "United Charters".
"The best use of your life will be to so live your life, that the use of your life will outlive your life" -- D Severn

71Zulu

Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:53 pm

Quoting Bluewave 707 (Reply 6):
"United Charters".

Charter

http://youtu.be/4AAhfbmm5eY
Clickable links only please!

DC8FanJet

Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:23 pm

Quoting atcsundevil (Reply 3):
I'm assuming they've made it a dedicated charter so they don't have to retrofit the new cabin on an aircraft that will probably be parked soon.

Aircraft had heavy maintenance done in 2011, so it will be flying for some time. Military charter work is good $$

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos