UnitedFlyer
Topic Author

PDX Midfield Terminal

Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:15 pm

Some years ago, there was talk of building a midfield terminal at PDX. Is this still being considered?

as739x

RE: PDX Midfield Terminal

Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:24 pm

PDX is a ghost town compared to when that was discussed. The Portland regions economy has to recover a little more. That said, I believe the current PDX can well handle more growth before anything dramatic needs to be done.
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

Airport

Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:03 pm

Even with all of the recent new service, PDX is still a pretty underutilized airport for what the current terminal is capable of handling. A midfield terminal for the foreseeable future would seem to be a very unnecessary expense, especially when the current terminals can be further expanded if needed.

You can find two alternative drawings of the proposed midfield terminal on Page 31-32 and 34-35 of this document:
https://scholarsbank.uoregon.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1794/9316/Port_of_Portland_PDX_Airport_Master_Plan_Summary_2000.pdf?sequence=1

Hope that helps.

chrisair

Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:18 pm

Hopefully when (if) they build this, the roof won't leak.

It amazes me how they STILL have leaks in the roof. That airport has had a leaky roof since the mid-80s when I started flying there.

HPRamper

Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:51 pm

Yeah, the leaks are an embarrassment. At least the nicest concourse - C - doesn't seem to have many if at all.

PDX is more than "pretty" underutilized. I'd call it VERY underutilized. Tons of gates on C and D that don't have a permanent lessee. Some that aren't used at all, or that only accomodate RONs. A midfield terminal is an idea that probably won't happen anytime in the next ten years, at least, even at the rate of increased service we've seen recently.

That plan linked above was from 2000. The more recent idea that surfaced was to convert the Air Reserve base into another terminal/hanger/mx space.