DLX737200
Topic Author

Delta Closing Reservation Centers In SUX And SEA

Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:49 pm

http://www.ktiv.com/story/17376161/d...to-close-it-sioux-city-call-center

SIOUX CITY, Iowa (KTIV) -

Sioux City officials have announced the Sioux City Reservations Center, which employs 165 people, will close its doors August 31st.

"We regret Delta's decision to close the highly successful Sioux City facility," said Mayor Bob Scott. "We are working with another firm looking to utilize our talented workforce to retain employees from the #1 performing office in the world. Delta will be held responsible for all obligations pertaining to the downtown location."

The future of the call center was uncertain while the battle of Essential Air Service to Sioux Gateway Airport raged on. However, Delta officials maintained that whether their service was to stay or go, they would keep the center in Sioux City.

In an email to KTIV on November 16th of last year, a spokesperson for Delta said, "We do not expect the decision (of Essential Air Service) to impact the Reservation Center located there."

The center opened about four years ago, before Delta merged with Northwest Airlines. A company spokesperson cites the closure as a move that helps ensure the company's long term future.

"Consolidating our North American call center operations allows Delta to better utilize existing facility space, be more in line with our competitors and maintain our focus on reduced overhead costs," said Ashley Black, Delta Corporate Communications.

And I couldn't find a news article on it but I've heard Seattle is closing too...

Good luck to those employees affected! This is why I stopped working for airlines. Job loss sucks!

deltaffindfw

RE: Delta Closing Reservation Centers In SUX And SEA

Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:55 pm

It was posted on DeltaNet that both will be closed Sept. 1.

coachclass

Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:41 pm

So, where are the reservation center(s) now? Atlanta?

I'm so glad that Delta closed the India center and brought the jobs back home. .

CIDFlyer

Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:52 pm

Sad...DL has shown SUX the door twice now (pulling service and now this). SUX to be SUX! Hopefully though their AAEagle flight to ORD will be successful, looks like prices are pretty decent, and ORD probably has more of an O&D component than MSP ever had.

[Edited 2012-04-10 17:23:23]

toltommy

Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:13 am

Quoting CoachClass (Reply 2):

I beleive CVG and BRD are still open.

727LOVER

Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:18 am

Like 30 years ago, did Tampa have one?
I feel woozy....what did you put in that Pudding Pop?

premobrimo

Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:27 am

Current offices (staying open) in Atlanta, Cincinnati, Dallas, Chisholm, Minneapolis, Salt Lake City and Tampa

International in Santiago (Chile), Moscow, Rio de Janeiro and Singapore

Closing in Seattle, Sioux City, Tokyo and Bangkok
Now You're Flying Smart.

deltairlines

Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:29 am

Quoting CoachClass (Reply 2):

Domestically, ATL, CVG, DFW, Chisholm MN (Iron Range), MSP, SLC, TPA.

n7371f

Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:32 am

Interesting that both are former NWA centers.

EA CO AS

Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:37 am

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 5):

Like 30 years ago, did Tampa have one?

Doesn't CO have a TPA res center? Or did at one point?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Byrdluvs747

Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:41 am

I though SEA was supposed to be a big pacific operation for DL?
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

EA CO AS

Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:46 am

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 10):
I though SEA was supposed to be a big pacific operation for DL?

What does that have to do with the presence of a call center? AS has centers in PHX and BOI but their O&D presence in both places is miniscule.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

deltal1011man

Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:49 am

Quoting premobrimo (Reply 6):

Also I am 99% sure AGS is still around.

Quoting n7371f (Reply 8):

Smallest US Res centers IIRC.

Kinda surprised Dallas is still around. Sure do wish DWH was Delta's still. (sorry to the AA folks...)

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 10):

Res centers have nothing to do with it.
New airliners.net web site sucks.

toltommy

Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:51 am

Quoting DeltaL1011man (Reply 12):
Also I am 99% sure AGS is still around.

AGS is the baggage call center. Not sure is res calls go there.

deltal1011man

Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:55 am

Quoting toltommy (Reply 13):

AGS is the baggage call center. Not sure is res calls go there.

maybe not. I just remember Delta having a call center up there. (only non-ATL Georgia center left)

b727fa

Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:58 am

I thought BKK was staying open in Tokyo was closing?

And what does EAS have to do with a call center? It's not like the EAS cities all get routed through a rural call center.

And, God bless Chisholm...
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

DLX737200
Topic Author

Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:37 am

Quoting B727FA (Reply 15):

And what does EAS have to do with a call center? It's not like the EAS cities all get routed through a rural call center.

Yes but I would've been surprised if Delta kept a call center in a location it doesn't have any flights to. How do you fly your employees for training in other cities or fly support to the call center (equipment, people, etc) without flights?

Since regional/contract employees jobs don't count, cause you know they're not real people or anything (excuse my bitter sarcasm), are these the first frontline employees to be officially laid off as a direct result of the merger? I know I know... It's not the merger, it's the economy (sarcasm again)... But these res centers would probably still be open if Northwest was still Northwest and Delta was Delta, don't ya think?

NWAESC

Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:28 am

Quoting DLX737200 (Reply 16):
How do you fly your employees for training in other cities or fly support to the call center (equipment, people, etc) without flights?

You first have them "fly" their cars up the highway to FSD, or down to OMA, I guess...

Quote:
are these the first frontline employees to be officially laid off as a direct result of the merger?

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: Depends on how broadly you interpret "frontline."
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

bobnwa

Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:39 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 9):

CO closed this quite a few years ago. It was origfinally an EA res center

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:00 pm

Keep in mind the changing nature of customer service and the volume that is handled over the internet. Not surprised to see further consolidation in reservations centers, merger or not.

MountainFlyer

Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:54 pm

Quote:
The future of the call center was uncertain while the battle of Essential Air Service to Sioux Gateway Airport raged on. However, Delta officials maintained that whether their service was to stay or go, they would keep the center in Sioux City.

In an email to KTIV on November 16th of last year, a spokesperson for Delta said, "We do not expect the decision (of Essential Air Service) to impact the Reservation Center located there.

Where have we heard language like this before? I'm surprised anyone even takes the words of the execs seriously anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying DL shouldn't make decisions to make the business work, but don't go running around making promises that you can't keep. It's not just DL. I believe both DL and WN made all sorts of assurances to the communities affected by their mergers, and the minute the ink was dry on the merger papers, the opposite happened.
SA-227; B1900; Q200; Q400; CRJ-2,7,9; 717; 727-2; 737-3,4,5,7,8,9; 747-2; 757-2,3; 767-3,4; MD-90; A319, 320; DC-9; DC-1

RKSofACinUSA

Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:01 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 9):

There are still CO res agents working in the TPA area from their homes. As previously stated, CO closed their call center several years ago. Only a few years ago, TPA housed call centers for CO, NW, DL and AC, all within a couple miles of each other. Now only DL and AC have call centers almost right across the street from each other about a mile from the airport.

FlyASAGuy2005

Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:36 pm

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 19):
Keep in mind the changing nature of customer service and the volume that is handled over the internet. Not surprised to see further consolidation in reservations centers, merger or not.

There is also a very large group out that that work from home. This has taken a lot of volume away from the call centers.
What gets measured gets done.

deltal1011man

Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:56 pm

Quoting DLX737200 (Reply 16):

Since regional/contract employees jobs don't count, cause you know they're not real people or anything (excuse my bitter sarcasm), are these the first frontline employees to be officially laid off as a direct result of the merger? I know I know... It's not the merger, it's the economy (sarcasm again)... But these res centers would probably still be open if Northwest was still Northwest and Delta was Delta, don't ya think?

....your being serious? You think in this day in age call centers are going to stay open? Come on....

Also I didn't see anything about lay-offs. I'd bet most of the spots will be closed via the buy-out.

FlyASAGuy2005

Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:10 pm

Quoting DeltaL1011man (Reply 23):
....your being serious? You think in this day in age call centers are going to stay open? Come on....

Also I didn't see anything about lay-offs. I'd bet most of the spots will be closed via the buy-out.

As it said in the release, everyone will be offered a position in the other reservations centers or they can put in a bid for other jobs. Last resort is benefited furlough or the buy-out.

EA CO AS

Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:53 pm

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 22):
There is also a very large group out that that work from home. This has taken a lot of volume away from the call centers.

Home agents don't "take volume" from call centers - they're still part of the overall call center operation and are usually run out of one physical call center's ACD.

FlyASAGuy2005

Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:15 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 25):
Home agents don't "take volume" from call centers - they're still part of the overall call center operation and are usually run out of one physical call center's ACD.

I understand the logistics of it and I guess the way I put it was very crude/rough but to say that the level of staffing today vs 1- years ago has not been affected by the work from home program is a little naive.

GentFromAlaska

Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:44 pm

It seems DL would want to close the Dallas reservation center in that they de-hubbed DFW years ago. I'm guessing the Dallas res-center was a leftover from DL hay-day there.

I would think middle America Iowa has less expensive labor. This is one of the reasons U.S. airline legacies are in financial distress. They continue to make bad decisions.
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.

displane

Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Don't they have one in DTW? I used to work for another airlines rez and speaking to several DL employees in DTW.

FlyASAGuy2005

Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:47 pm

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 27):
I would think middle America Iowa has less expensive labor. This is one of the reasons U.S. airline legacies are in financial distress. They continue to make bad decisions.

???  

toltommy

Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:04 am

Quoting displane (Reply 28):

Don't they have one in DTW?

Don't think so, but UA does have one located in Dearborn.

GentFromAlaska

Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:24 am

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 29):
???

I thought my post was straight forward; but maybe not. How may I clarify?
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.

NWAESC

Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:46 am

Quoting displane (Reply 28):
Don't they have one in DTW? I used to work for another airlines rez and speaking to several DL employees in DTW.

DTW Res closed awhile ago (2003, IIRC)...
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

F9Animal

Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:47 am

I am saddened to hear about SEA closing. What a great team they have there. In fact, I understand it was Republic and Hughes Airwests before becoming NW. The amount of experience in SEA is going to be missed. I mean, most agents there have thirty years experience.
I Am A Different Animal!!

EA CO AS

Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:57 am

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 26):
Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 25):

I understand the logistics of it and I guess the way I put it was very crude/rough but to say that the level of staffing today vs 1- years ago has not been affected by the work from home program is a little naive.

What you probably don't understand is that the home agents are generally current call center employees who are deployed to work from home, not hired-off-the-street solely to work from home. These are usually bidded positions based on company seniority.

So the work-from-home program has not affected call center staffing at all; it only changes the dynamics of how many agents are on-site vs. at-home.

DLX737200
Topic Author

Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:53 am

Quoting nwaesc (Reply 17):

You first have them "fly" their cars up the highway to FSD, or down to OMA, I guess...

Yeah that wouldn't be happening...

Quoting MountainFlyer (Reply 20):
I'm surprised anyone even takes the words of the execs seriously anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying DL shouldn't make decisions to make the business work, but don't go running around making promises that you can't keep. It's not just DL. I believe both DL and WN made all sorts of assurances to the communities affected by their mergers, and the minute the ink was dry on the merger papers, the opposite happened.

That's what I'm saying! I completely understand the need to consolidate an increasingly obsolete means of booking flights and even understand the need to consolidate redundant resources after a merger, but don't lie to all these employees and communities saying that a merger won't result in job loss or cutbacks when everyone knows they will. That's the whole point of a merger: synergy! I just feel bad for those who are losing their jobs. Been there, done that. It's not fun!

Quoting DeltaL1011man (Reply 23):

See my comment above.

I knew a few of the res agents in SUX that nonreved out of OMA very frequently due to the great number of destinations and flights. The few I knew were very rooted in their community and I'm sure won't be able to pack up their family and move for Delta. Sadly, I'm sure they'll be taking the package and saying goodbye.