dalalways
Topic Author

KLM Signs Dutch Designer For Cabin Interior

Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:43 pm

Not sure if this had been posted before, but I got it from my company's website.

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines has asked leading Dutch designer Hella Jongerius to revitalize its World Business Class cabin interior across the fleet. This will enable KLM to modernize its WBC product, uniting international allure with top Dutch design to emphasize a sense of pride in our Dutch heritage.

KLM intends to create an entirely new Business Class look and feel and Hella Jongerius will also shape the full-flat seats, KLM said in a release. Customer comfort and safety always form the premise, harmonizing well with KLM’s brand values. This also fits into the broader context of other successful KLM initiatives in WBC with top Dutch chefs and fashion designers.

“By choosing to work with Hella Jongerius, KLM is opting to engage a top Dutch designer to help make our Business Class passengers feel at home on board,” said Erik Varwijk, managing director-KLM. “As a designer, Hella has broad experience which she can apply to the needs of KLM and its customers, in accordance with the specific requirements for cabin interiors in the airline industry. Her previous projects demonstrate her ability to process such criteria into top-quality designs such as the ‘polder sofa,” which is both comfortable and beautiful. With her expertise and focus on quality, she is keenly aware of what makes a brand unique. An outstanding match!”

KLM will begin revitalizing the first aircraft in June 2013. The Boeing 747-400s will be converted first; a total of 22 aircraft.

“It’s a brilliant opportunity for me to design the cabin interior and the new business class seat for KLM,” said Hella Jongerius. “The challenge is one of safeguarding individual comfort in amiable settings using innovations. In so doing, I can optimally combine traditional details, and my industrial textile and color skills with high-tech functionality.”

ardian

RE: KLM Signs Dutch Designer For Cabin Interior

Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:25 am

Wow! Sounds awesome and in all honesty I didn't expect that from KLM (as they tend to be quite 'conservative' with their cabin designs)! I really hope Jongerius can add something truly special for the C-class as she is a terrific designer.

kl911

RE: KLM Signs Dutch Designer For Cabin Interior

Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:12 am

Quoting dalalways (Thread starter):
The Boeing 747-400s will be converted first; a total of 22 aircraft.

How long will KLM keep the 747's? I thought they were approaching the end of their life, at least with KLM.
And i think its safe to say that the MD11's wont get the upgrade?