fauzi
Topic Author

Royal Brunei BI098 Emergency Landing In Mumbai

Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:42 am

Just saw the airline's twitter feed. Apparently BI098 (B772ER) was in flight over India from Dubai to Brunei, and warning lights indicating 'AFT Cargo Fire' came up, and pilots requested for the nearest airport for diversion, in this case Mumbai. The flight made a safe landing at 5:30 GMT this morning. No reports of the reg of the aircraft, but a Royal Brunei B777 in Mumbai is definitely a rare sight.

Also interesting to note that they tried to accommodate other passengers on other airlines but not a single seat is available.

At the moment the flight is scheduled to depart Mumbai tomorrow morning. Anyone knows if they're repairing the same aircraft or an additional plane from Brunei is flying in?

Cheers

Press release:

http://www.bruneiair.com/blog/2012/0...l-brunei-airlines-flight-no-bi098/
BI - The Asian Underdog

HAWK21M

RE: Royal Brunei BI098 Emergency Landing In Mumbai

Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:53 am

It could be an Indication error & if Maintenance clears it , could be departed much quicker than 24hrs.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

fauzi
Topic Author

Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:18 pm

Well turns out that it is a false alarm, and the flight is scheduled to depart tomorrow at 9am local time. Looks like all passengers have been sent to the Hyatt or Lalit hotel.

Apparently some of the passengers aren't happy with the way the airline is handling this, with some pointing out that the airline should pay for their laundry...
BI - The Asian Underdog

HAWK21M

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:57 am

I thought so.....In such cases its normally dust in the Cargo compartment that triggers the warning.

I think Laundry should be included too.but if its 24hrs stay I doubt the Pax will get the laundry done unless its express laundry which costs double,hence the airline had 2nd thoughts.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

WestJet747

Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:13 pm

Here's the AvHerald report for those that are interested:

http://avherald.com/h?article=44e0707c&opt=0

Quoting fauzi (Reply 2):
Apparently some of the passengers aren't happy with the way the airline is handling this, with some pointing out that the airline should pay for their laundry...

If my aircraft had to divert because of a potential onboard fire, my laundry would be the least of my concerns. BI is also kind enough to pay for some pax to with other carriers directly to their final destination instead of routing them through BWN. Not all airlines would do this.
Flying refined.

shanxz

Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:55 pm

Looks like BI handled the issue very well on social media well http://tinyurl.com/d4x7x9p
Airlines are in the service business, not transport. Brand matters...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos