delta2ual
Topic Author

UA Former Destinations Question

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:24 pm

I was looking at UA's former destinations on Wikipedia:
"United States – Akron/Canton, Bangor, Birmingham (AL), Bismark, Burlington, Burbank, Casper, Cedar Rapids, Charleston (SC), Charleston (WV), Chicago-Midway, Colorado Springs, Dallas-Love, Dayton, Dover (DE), Eugene, Fargo, Grand Forks, Greensboro/Highpoint/Winstin Salem, Huntsville, Jackson (MS), Knoxville, Lansing, Long Island/Islip, Louisville, Manchester (NH), Medford, Memphis, Milwaukee, Minot, Moline, Monterey (CA), Myrtle Beach, Nashville, Newport News, Norfolk/Virginia Beach, Panama City (FL), Pasco, Peoria, Portland (ME), Redmond/Bend, Salem, Saginaw, Santa Barbara, Santa Fe, Sioux City, Savannah, Syracuse, Toledo, White Plains"

Before anyone states the obvious, I know not to always trust Wikipedia, but I do have some questions for anybody who may remember/know:

Is this list from terminations since UA started? Did UA really fly mainline to Santa Fe, Redmond, Peoria, etc? Or is this lost UAEX as well?

I know somebody on here will have the answers. Thanks!
From the world's largest airline-to the world's largest airline. Delta2ual

CONTACREW

RE: UA Former Destinations Question

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:27 pm

Quoting delta2ual (Thread starter):
"United States – Akron/Canton, Bangor, Birmingham (AL), Bismark, Burlington, Burbank, Casper, Cedar Rapids, Charleston (SC), Charleston (WV), Chicago-Midway, Colorado Springs, Dallas-Love, Dayton, Dover (DE), Eugene, Fargo, Grand Forks, Greensboro/Highpoint/Winstin Salem, Huntsville, Jackson (MS), Knoxville, Lansing, Long Island/Islip, Louisville, Manchester (NH), Medford, Memphis, Milwaukee, Minot, Moline, Monterey (CA), Myrtle Beach, Nashville, Newport News, Norfolk/Virginia Beach, Panama City (FL), Pasco, Peoria, Portland (ME), Redmond/Bend, Salem, Saginaw, Santa Barbara, Santa Fe, Sioux City, Savannah, Syracuse, Toledo, White Plains"

Before anyone states the obvious, I know not to always trust Wikipedia, but I do have some questions for anybody who may remember/know:

Is this list from terminations since UA started? Did UA really fly mainline to Santa Fe, Redmond, Peoria, etc? Or is this lost UAEX as well?

I know somebody on here will have the answers. Thanks!

Yes UA did in fact have a mainline flight out of Peoria. If i recall the aircraft that operated the ill fated UA585 back in 1991 originated in Peoria.
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call

EWRandMDW

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:32 pm

UA operated main line service to ABE, TTN, ILG, HVN as recently as the late 1980s or early 1990s.

point2point

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:41 pm

Even though a lot of these cites have maybe lost mainline, most of these are still served via UAX.

And even though technically Wiki is providing maybe somewhat accurate info in terms of mainline, I think that stating them as "Terminated Destinations" is grossly inaccurate. From what I can see, only Dover and Sante Fe are actually terminated from both mainline and express. Shame on Wiki for this one.

edit added: add Chicago-Midway to the list with Dover and Sante Fe

[Edited 2012-04-16 09:43:38]

strfyr51

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:48 pm

Quoting CONTACREW (Reply 1):

That was the ERA when we made it a point to fly to all 50 states. I thought it was pretty cool to do back then.. That all ended during or after the" ALLEGIS" Fiasco. When Ferris got shown the DOOR and Steve Wolfe came in.

evanbu

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:56 pm

There's a photo somewhere of a UA 727 taking off out of SUX with the remains of UA 232 on the ground the day following the crash. It's nuts to think SUX had mainline, let alone UA.

timz

Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:29 pm

Quoting point2point (Reply 3):
I think that stating them as "Terminated Destinations" is grossly inaccurate.

The article that he got the list from is about UA only, and it makes that clear. There's another article for UA's affiliates, and the list for them would be way longer, of course.

[Edited 2012-04-16 10:46:35]

BoeingGuy

Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:41 pm

UA mainline definitely flew into Medford, Salem, Eugene, Santa Barbara, Monterey and Burbank.

However, I sure as heck don't ever remember mainline UA flying into Redmond/Bend, OR or Santa Fe. Can anyone confirm these?

They also used to fly to a lot of places not listed here like Pendleton, Merced, Modesto, Visalia, Stockton, Ely, Elko, etc.

This looks like a really inaccurate and incomplete list. It reminds me of the several references I've seen on Wiki where misinformed people have mistaken WN for the old Southwest Airlines that was an original name of one of the Air West predecessors, or PSA (because it had "Southwest" in the name also).

timz

Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:48 pm

Until I check I'll guess they did try Redmond, but I don't remember Santa Fe either. How about DAL?

28L28L

Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:56 pm

Pendleton, OR (PDT), until 1981.

BoeingGuy

Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:28 pm

I doubt UA mainlined trie RDM, but I'll wait to see if someone confirms it.

I just remembered LGB also. UA did 762s LGB-ORD at one time.

There are also quite a few smaller airports in the east that they flew into back in the day with mainline equipment, many of them former Capitol Airlines destination. They aren't listed either.

Don't forget the DAL was the only Dallas airport before DFW was built, so UA did at least serve DAL at one time.

That Wiki list is just horrendously poorly done and inaccurate.

skycub

Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:34 pm

Panama City (FL)

This one suprises me. I don't recall UA or UAX ever flying there. I could be wrong, though.

Santa Fe

That's another one I don't recall.

Dallas-Love
Quoting timz (Reply 8):
How about DAL?

I also have to question this one. Referring to the absolutely excellent "Dallas Love Field" pictorial book by George W. Cearley, this is absolutely NO reference to United Airlines in this book.

This book not only includes terminal diagrams from 1958 through 1974, but also a comprehensive list of "New Airline Routes Awarded To/From Love Field 1934-1980s" and there is no sign of United anywhere.

In fact, looking through my old United timetables, Dallas/Fort Worth does not show up until August 1982. (Both IAH and SAT being served before that.)

Okay.... so call me a dork...

I just looked through 50 United Airlines timetables dated 1973 through 1988. Not once does Santa Fe show up and Redmond only shows up as a United Express city starting in 1987.
My opinions are my own. They are not representative of my employer, my union or my co-workers. They are all mine.

point2point

Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:45 pm

Quoting timz (Reply 6):
The article that he got the list from is about UA only, and it makes that clear. There's another article for UA's affiliates, and the list for them would be way longer, of course.

I guess that we can agree to disagree. All I know is that if I wanted to take a flight from DEN to BUR, or DAL, or MFR (need I go on...?), then I would call (or go online) and book myself a ticket for that flight on...... United Airlines. There is no other airlines to do this with.

Then again, this discussion of major/affiliate relationship has been going on for a while here, and probably will continue so long as there are regionals flying for the majors. It's all that I can say for now....

All the best

BoeingGuy

Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:48 pm

The date when the 720 was retired was also mis-stated in the main wiki article on UA. It said 1976. It was more like 1973-74 when the last 720 was retired.

UA also served RDD, LMT and ACV for a short time with 732s. They tried a short haul operation out of SFO to places like RDD, LMT, ACV, MFD, EUG, SBA, etc (the last three of which had already been served by UA).

skycub

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:11 pm

Quoting point2point (Reply 12):
I guess that we can agree to disagree. All I know is that if I wanted to take a flight from DEN to BUR, or DAL, or MFR (need I go on...?), then I would call (or go online) and book myself a ticket for that flight on...... United Airlines. There is no other airlines to do this with.

Then again, this discussion of major/affiliate relationship has been going on for a while here, and probably will continue so long as there are regionals flying for the majors. It's all that I can say for now....

Yes, but this is NOT a discussion (nor was the Wikipedia article about) where a particular "brand name" operation can fly you to.

This was NOT a question or article about whether an airline operating as Happy Skies Airlines should be liable in the event of passenger inconvenience or an accident should something happen to Happy Skies Express operated by Trans-North Dakota Airways. That is a totally different (and as you said on-going and often discussed) topic.

This article (and the question posed) was about whether United Airlines ever flew United Airlines mainline aircraft into those airports.

This article is clearly about United Airlines mainline, headquartered in Chicago, using the UA code (without an asterisk) after the flight number, flight numbers UA 1 through UA 2999, flying Boeing, Airbus and McDonnell Douglas equipment and flown by mainline United Airlines crew members.
My opinions are my own. They are not representative of my employer, my union or my co-workers. They are all mine.

delta2ual
Topic Author

Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:44 pm

Quoting SkyCub (Reply 14):
This article (and the question posed) was about whether United Airlines ever flew United Airlines mainline aircraft into those airports.

This article is clearly about United Airlines mainline, headquartered in Chicago, using the UA code (without an asterisk) after the flight number, flight numbers UA 1 through UA 2999, flying Boeing, Airbus and McDonnell Douglas equipment and flown by mainline United Airlines crew members.

Yes, the article from Wiki does make it clear that it's mainline. I probably didn't in my post, so if I confused anyone I apologize.
From the world's largest airline-to the world's largest airline. Delta2ual

DesertAir

Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:12 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 7):
They also used to fly to a lot of places not listed here like Pendleton, Merced, Modesto, Visalia, Stockton, Ely, Elko, etc.

UA flew mainline into Stockton, then UAX served the city. UAX withdrew.
UA also flew mainline into Modesto, about 30 miles south of Stockton. UAX continues on there.

timz

Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:19 pm

Anyone found UA flights at Bismarck, Minot, Panama City, Redmond or Santa Fe?

SouthernDC9

Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:57 pm

I remember seeing UA 737-200 at JAN back in the day, I believe they tagged it on to MEM for the 50 states thing.
What does AA/US merger mean for CLT/JFK/PHX/North America/Southern Hemisphere/God's Plan for the Universe

WA707atMSP

Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:14 pm

Quoting timz (Reply 8):
How about DAL?

UA served DAL in the 1950s and 1960s via a United / Braniff interchange. I believe the interchange route was SEA-PDX-DEN-DAL-HOU, with UA operating SEA-DEN and Braniff operating DEN-DAL-HOU. Aircraft of both airlines were used, so UA aircraft did fly into DAL and HOU on a scheduled basis, albiet flown by Braniff crews, and handled on the ground by Braniff employees.

The interchange ended in June, 1967, when Braniff's routes were extended to PDX and SEA.
Seaholm Maples are #1!

RWA380

Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:30 am

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 7):
UA mainline definitely flew into Medford, Salem, Eugene, Santa Barbara, Monterey and Burbank.

However, I sure as heck don't ever remember mainline UA flying into Redmond/Bend, OR or Santa Fe. Can anyone confirm these?

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 13):

UA also served RDD, LMT and ACV for a short time with 732s. They tried a short haul operation out of SFO to places like RDD, LMT, ACV, MFD, EUG, SBA, etc (the last three of which had already been served by UA).

Pre-deregulation route awards were given to UA for PDX-SLE-MFR, PDX-EUG-MFR, PDX-PDT-BOI, flights operated with 727-100 or 737-100/200's. RW operated SEA-PSC-PDX-RDM-LMT-RDD-SFO with a DC-9, I don't think UA has ever operated a flight to LMT.
Next Flights: PDX-HNL-OGG-LIH-PDX On AS, WP & HA

kgaiflyer

Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:38 am

When did Redmond stop?

For whatever reason, those Brasilias -- along with SMF -- boarded at SFO gate 87 -- amongst the widebodies -- rather than in the UAX wing.

BTW -- last time I was in Peoria (last July 2nd) it was on an S5 E70.

BoeingGuy

Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:53 am

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 20):
Pre-deregulation route awards were given to UA for PDX-SLE-MFR, PDX-EUG-MFR, PDX-PDT-BOI, flights operated with 727-100 or 737-100/200's. RW operated SEA-PSC-PDX-RDM-LMT-RDD-SFO with a DC-9, I don't think UA has ever operated a flight to LMT.

Yeah, they did. As I said, UA tried setting short haul shuttle flights out of SFO for a short period of time. They did LMT, RDD and ACV in addition to EUG and MFR.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...&sjid=qYYDAAAAIBAJ&pg=2508,1323669

[Edited 2012-04-17 17:54:48]

kgaiflyer

Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:10 am

Monterey (CA),

Monterey (from LAX) left mainline when "Shuttle by United" stopped flying.

AFAIK, SFO and DEN have always been UAX.

FilAmAirlines

Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:20 am

Wikipedia is correct mainline UA served MBS (Saginaw) but that ceased in the late 1990s with United Express as a replacement. UA operated 732s to/from MBS-ORD prior to the Express shift. I assume it occured because the 732 were in the process of retirement. Per departedflights.com's pages of past OAG schedules, UA flew MBS-LAN and vice versa with 732 aircraft and MBS-ORD operated one or 2 727s both ways.
FNT is the death knell for MBS and LAN because of WN's commitment

BoeingGuy

Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:35 am

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 23):

AFAIK, SFO and DEN have always been UAX.

Not at all. UA flew mainline SFO-MRY as a tag-on for many years until not too long ago. Boeing often cited that flight as an example of the versatility of the 757, which was used on that leg for awhile.

DEN-MRY has mostly been UAX as stated. However, at one time in the 1970s, UA tried MRY-ORD and MRY-DEN with 727-100s (and added FAT-ORD in addition to DEN, and I think some SBA to DEN and/or ORD). This was all a short-lived experiment (except FAT-DEN lasted many years).

AeroWesty

Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:22 am

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 25):
UA flew mainline SFO-MRY as a tag-on for many years until not too long ago.

I can vouch for that. My sister and I flew that route on a UA 732 circa 1971. IIRC, Coach was something like $8 one-way, First was $11, so we flew First Class!   (Yeah, I know, spoiled brats.)
International Homo of Mystery

ridgid727

Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:29 am

Didnt UA also serve Pendleton OR, Visalia CA, Modesto CA, Ely NV, and Elko NV

Q

Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:51 am

Quoting ridgid727 (Reply 27):

Yes, United flew 737-200 Reno-Elko-Ely-Salt Lake City. United flew 727-100 Portland-Pendelton-Salt Lake City. United flew 737-200 Los Angeles-Bakersfield-Visalia-Modesto-San Francisco.

Q

[Edited 2012-04-17 19:55:13]

panam330

Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:18 am

UA served SYR from the early 80s (1983?) up until around 9/11. Oddly, they still serve BUF, ROC and even ALB with mainline still, but SYR only gets CR7s.

AeroWesty

Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:32 am

Quoting Q (Reply 28):
United flew 737-200 Los Angeles-Bakersfield-Visalia-Modesto-San Francisco.

In Reply #12 in this thread: RE: DFW-BFL Restarted With American Eagle - Possible? (by Stirling May 18 2005 in Civil Aviation) A.net member Stirling dug through the old UA timetables for 1965-1980, and came up with this interesting list for the puddle-jumpers:

SFO-FAT-VIS-BFL-SAN
SFO-SCK-MOD-FAT-VIS-BFL
SFO-SCK-MOD-FAT-LAX
SFO-SCK-MOD-MCE-VIS-LAX
SFO-SCK-MOD-MCE-FAT-LAX
SFO-VIS-BFL-LAX
SFO-FAT-BFL-LAX

gman3

Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:57 am

I have been an FA since 1999 and we lost 31 cities to UEX. However, before I started , there was a slogan that United flew to all 50 states I believe, and the is before the proliferation of teh RJ... However I do remember mainline to places like Madison, WI... Cedar Rapids, IA..... Burlington VT... Manchester NH..... Portland ME.... Syracuse NY.... Greensboro NC... White Plains NY..... Allentown PA......Lincoln NE..... Milwaukee WI..... Saginaw MI,.... Indianapolis IN.... Dayton OH... Nashvlle, Memphis, and Knoxville TN.... Birmingham AL..... Colorado Springs CO.....Louisville KY.....Burbank CA.... Eugene OR.... Medford OR.... Monterrey CA..... These are just some since 1999

RWA380

Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:05 am

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 21):
When did Redmond stop?
RDM is still currently getting UAX flights, the SFO-RDM flight upgauged to a CRJ from an EMB-120, the longest EMB flight in the OO system, I understand they are downgauging to the EMB-120 again. RDM-PDX has always been EMB's after the J31's.

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 22):

Yeah, they did. As I said, UA tried setting short haul shuttle flights out of SFO for a short period of time. They did LMT

I do see the Bend Bulletin news story you posted, I see they announced it, but I'm almost positive mainline UA didn't ever make it to LMT. I am sure RDD did get mainline, not sure about ACV, Cic777 would know for sure.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 26):
(Yeah, I know, spoiled brats.)

Nice isn't it?

Quoting Q (Reply 28):
United flew 727-100 Portland-Pendelton-Salt Lake City

At one point yes the PDT flight went to SLC, but it also at one time ran PDX-PDT-BOI, they would use the aft stairs onto the tarmac at PDT instead of airstairs on a 727-100. Heck even GG at one time flew a BOI-PDT service for a short time, not sure the time frame or why, only place in Oregon they ever serviced.
And Frontier flew a EUG-BOI-DEN flight on a 73S long before Frontier ever flew to PDX.

Quoting Gman3 (Reply 31):
I have been an FA since 1999 and we lost 31 cities to UEX. However, before I started , there was a slogan that United flew to all 50 states I believe, and the is before the proliferation of teh RJ

I remember the UA timetable from the early to mid 80's that stated on the front, "first to fly to all 50 states, I think they added Deleware to do it.

[Edited 2012-04-18 03:42:59]

[Edited 2012-04-18 03:50:46]

anamericanin

Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:54 am

Does anyone know when UA flew into DOV (if this is accurate, and they actually did) ? Had to have been a long time ago, I would imagine as it's mostly an AFB with a small civil air terminal now (and as far back as I can remember).

RWA380

Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:22 am

Quoting anamericanin (Reply 33):
Does anyone know when UA flew into DOV (if this is accurate, and they actually did) ? Had to have been a long time ago, I would imagine as it's mostly an AFB with a small civil air terminal now (and as far back as I can remember).

IIRC, UA's service to Deleware was flying into Wilmington to ORD, and not Dover. 737-200's IIRC again.

[Edited 2012-04-18 04:41:45]

anamericanin

Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:27 am

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 34):
IIRC, UA's service to Deleware was flying into Wilmington and not Dover. 737-200's IIRC again.

Yes, I remember UA flying into ILG, and note that the Wikipedia article doesn't list ILG as a terminated destination, so I suspect it's a misprint unless, again, it was in the really early days. DOV (also per Wikipedia, for what it's worth) has been primarily military use since WWII.

NWAESC

Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:38 pm

Madison, WI...

M/L MSN service ended in ~ 2000. At the time, they were running 1-2 737-200's to ORD daily, with the rest having already shifted to UAX.

Eugene OR.... Medford OR....

Also definitely served at least through the mid-90's. I also seem to recall M/L service making a brief return a few years ago???
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

kgaiflyer

Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:52 pm

Not at all. UA flew mainline SFO-MRY as a tag-on for many years until not too long ago. Boeing often cited that flight as an example of the versatility of the 757, which was used on that leg for awhile.

I'm bemused *only* because one day when SFO was fogbound, the agents at SFO hired a couple of Blue Shuttles to haul the fourteen passengers ticketed for the last OO Brasilia of the evening. We had all been reeticketed for the next morning, but with only 77 miles between SFO and MRY, I guess they figured there was no reason for us to wait.

That's a *big* step down from a 757  

BoeingGuy

Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:38 pm

Quoting nwaesc (Reply 36):
Eugene OR.... Medford OR....

Also definitely served at least through the mid-90's. I also seem to recall M/L service making a brief return a few years ago???

MFR was served by 737s until at least 2001. I remember seeing one at the field when driving by while visiting my grandparents in Grants Pass.

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 32):
I do see the Bend Bulletin news story you posted, I see they announced it, but I'm almost positive mainline UA didn't ever make it to LMT. I am sure RDD did get mainline, not sure about ACV, Cic777 would know for sure.

Let's see if anyone can confirm that UA flew 737s in to ACV and LMT for a short time. I recalled it first. I only found the Bend Bulletin story yesterday to support my claim that UA did those short haul routes on 732s for a short time. It was more like in the 1980s or 90s, not like back in the older days. They tried setting up a series of short haul shuttle routes out of SFO, IIRC.

1r7flier

Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:36 pm

I remember seeing UA 737-200s in both BHM and BNA as late as 95-96. UAX flew DEN-JAN with CRJs until early 2001.
CRJ, CR7, Bae 146, ATR42, ATR 72, S340, ER4, E170, F100, 727, 732,733,734, 35,73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 773, A320, A

NWAESC

Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:14 pm

IIRC, BHM/JAN/SDF and a couple others who escape me were all closed at the same time... Maybe as part of the 737-200 retirement(s)?
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

1r7flier

Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:28 pm

Quoting nwaesc (Reply 40):
IIRC, BHM/JAN/SDF and a couple others who escape me were all closed at the same time... Maybe as part of the 737-200 retirement(s)?

I was still a young chap but departedflights.com has UA and AA mainline in JAN until 85... so there is a 10 year gap that I'm not sure about. Delta has owned JAN for years so other carriers seem to have a tough go of things there. The UAX service to DEN was short-lived... IIRC, it lasted at most one year.

But I distinctly remember seeing UA mainline in both BNA and BHM in the mid-90s. Too bad it didn't stay around in JAN.
CRJ, CR7, Bae 146, ATR42, ATR 72, S340, ER4, E170, F100, 727, 732,733,734, 35,73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 773, A320, A

Type-Rated

Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:36 pm

Quoting SkyCub (Reply 11):
I just looked through 50 United Airlines timetables dated 1973 through 1988.

Look back further, start around 1961 or so.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

skycub

Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:56 am

"Greensboro/Highpoint/Winstin Salem"

Well, I have to say that even though I did not have THAT much respect for wikipedia before, I have even less now.

I mean, really? Winstin Salem?

I looked up the link on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_destinations) to make sure it wasn't an error on the OP's part and it wasn't.

Winstin Salem?

How about Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem?

Also, I noticed at least one former UA mainline city missing from the list: Youngstown, OH.

UA was one of the last and largest carriers to have flown mainline aircraft into YNG for years, well into the 1980s.

In fact, as late as January 1987, United was still operated mainline service to YNG with 737s on the Youngstown-Akron/Canton-O'Hare route.

In years past, UA mainline had flown nonstop to CLE, PIT, ORD and even TPA.

Birmingham (AL)
Huntsville

Interestingly enough, both BHM and HSV still had United Airlines mainline nonstops to Los Angeles as late as 1980!hey t

Quoting FilAmAirlines (Reply 24):
Wikipedia is correct mainline UA served MBS (Saginaw) but that ceased in the late 1990s with United Express as a replacement. UA operated 732s to/from MBS-ORD prior to the Express shift. I assume it occured because the 732 were in the process of retirement. Per departedflights.com's pages of past OAG schedules, UA flew MBS-LAN and vice versa with 732 aircraft and MBS-ORD operated one or 2 727s both ways.

Saginaw was one of many smaller cities that once saw nonstop United mainline service to the original UA Cleveland hub.... other routes flown in the past my mainline UA equipment from CLE include Akron, Allentown, Flint, Fort Wayne, Grand Rapids, Lansing, South Bend, Toledo.....

Interestingly enough, several of those Michigan destinations, such as Flint, Lansing, Saginaw and Grand Rapids were served by Continental Airlines mainline aircraft when CO first opened their CLE hub years later.

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 23):

If I recall correctly, and I am too lazy to look it up right now, Monterey was actually even served with a 757 for some time on a Monterey-San Francisco-Chicago route.

Boeing often cited that flight as an example of the versatility of the 757, which was used on that leg for awhile.

You beat me to it BoeingGuy... I posted my 757 comment before I read yours.

AeroWesty

Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:24 am

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 38):
I only found the Bend Bulletin story yesterday to support my claim that UA did those short haul routes on 732s for a short time. It was more like in the 1980s or 90s, not like back in the older days. They tried setting up a series of short haul shuttle routes out of SFO, IIRC.

Interesting that the date of the newspaper was Jan 1986. I remember earlier in the decade, 1980-1981 or so, UA setup flights marketed as "United Express" out of SFO (and perhaps DEN?) to points in the west using 732s without a First Class. IIRC, fares were low and consistent, like all seats $59 for SFO-BOI, or close to that, as one example. It took me a long time to think "commuter prop planes" when the 'Express' label began to be used by UA and others for contracted flights by other airlines to cover the smaller markets into their hubs.

I've never been able to dig out any historical info on it, since the Express label means something entirely different now, and it clutters up web searches.

I do remember flying SFO-DEN-MCI in early '82 or '83, with the DEN-MCI flight being on one of the 732s without First, but don't recall if the 'United Express' experiment had been shuttered by then or not, with this flight just being on a plane that hadn't been converted back to having First.

Does anyone else remember this iteration of 'United Express'?

RWA380

Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:27 am

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 38):
Let's see if anyone can confirm that UA flew 737s in to ACV and LMT for a short time. I recalled it first. I only found the Bend Bulletin story yesterday to support my claim that UA did those short haul routes on 732s for a short time. It was more like in the 1980s or 90s, not like back in the older days. They tried setting up a series of short haul shuttle routes out of SFO,
Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 44):
Interesting that the date of the newspaper was Jan 1986. I remember earlier in the decade, 1980-1981 or so, UA setup flights marketed as "United Express" out of SFO (and perhaps DEN?) to points in the west using 732s without a First Class. IIRC, fares were low and consistent, like all seats $59 for SFO-BOI, or close to that, as one example. It took me a long time to think "commuter prop planes" when the 'Express' label began to be used by UA and others for contracted flights by other airlines to cover the smaller markets into their hubs.

I think you are thinking of United Shuttle or Shuttle by United, dedicated 737's using SFO as a hub, IIRC, SEA-LAX & PDX-LAX were not shuttle routes, but SFO-MFR/EUG/PDX/SEA/RNO/LAS/LAX/SAN were shuttle flights and more I'm sure.

AeroWesty

Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:50 am

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 45):
I think you are thinking of United Shuttle or Shuttle by United

Nope, this was long before Shuttle. I still remember what the ads in the papers looked like, with blocks of timetables and the headline prices for each city.

WA707atMSP

Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:29 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 46):
Quoting RWA380 (Reply 45):
I think you are thinking of United Shuttle or Shuttle by United

Nope, this was long before Shuttle. I still remember what the ads in the papers looked like, with blocks of timetables and the headline prices for each city.

Westy, I think this version of United Express started in 1980/81. One of the first routes added was LGA-CLE, after New York Air entered the market.

I will check my old UA annual reports this weekend, to see if I can find out more.
Seaholm Maples are #1!

timz

Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:15 pm

Quoting type-rated (Reply 42):
Quoting SkyCub (Reply 11):
I just looked through 50 United Airlines timetables dated 1973 through 1988.

Look back further, start around 1961 or so.

He was looking for United at Redmond, Santa Fe and Dallas Love. Any reason to think he's going to find them anytime after 1900?

Turns out UA flew to RDD, ACV, and Klamath Falls for a year plus in 1986-87. Still no RDM, tho.

BoeingGuy

Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:30 pm

Quoting timz (Reply 48):
Turns out UA flew to RDD, ACV, and Klamath Falls for a year plus in 1986-87.

Ha, told you guys so!   Glad someone confirmed it.

I'm pretty sure that UA mainline never flew to RDM. The only mainline operations I that I can think of that ever flew there were G4, QQ and I think AS for a very brief time IIRC. QQ tried RDM-SJC for a short time with MD-80s.