kaitak

Two Runway Incidents In UK Overnight

Wed Oct 11, 2000 3:20 pm

Two separate incidents occurred overnight, involving British airliners, thankfully neither serious or involving serious injury.

In the first, a Cityflyer (BA Franchisee) ATR42 with 43 on board made a diversionary landing at Bournmouth. It was forced to divert after high winds closed Jersey Airport last night (and I can tell you it certainly was windy here!) and while landing at BOH, its nosegear failed. Whether it was due to a problem with the n/gear or a heavy landing is not clear.

In the second incident, a Britannia 757 ran off a taxiway after landing at Gatwick. Again, no serious damage or injuries, but the airport was closed and flight delays. No doubt this crew will be given a right clip around the ear when their flight ops people find out!

gkirk

RE: Two Runway Incidents In UK Overnight

Thu Oct 12, 2000 2:53 am

Yes, I heard about that. Flights to LGW were diverted to LHR,STN,LTN and MAN. Has LGW fully reopened again.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

philb

Thu Oct 12, 2000 2:57 am

The ATR diverted to BOH with a hydraulic problem which precluded a Jersey landing due to weather.

The problem was obviously real, as the nosewheel collapse resulted.

The Britannia flight was a B767 flying Manchester - Gatwick - Phuket.

g-beak

Thu Oct 12, 2000 3:15 am

I understood the Britannia incident happened first, the ATR was returning to LGW but then had to divert to Bournmouth because Gatwick was shut.