ROSWELL41
Topic Author

Spirit Continues Expansion With DFW To PDX

Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Spirit announced today that it will fly once daily between DFW and PDX. Interesting that Spirit is now starting to connect some of its west coast markets to DFW with both SAN and now PDX. What will be next? ORD-OAK? DFW-LAX?

http://ir.spirit.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=665198

enilria

RE: Spirit Continues Expansion With DFW To PDX

Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:04 pm

Quoting ROSWELL41 (Thread starter):
Spirit announced today that it will fly once daily between DFW and PDX. Interesting that Spirit is now starting to connect some of its west coast markets to DFW with both SAN and now PDX. What will be next? ORD-OAK? DFW-LAX?

B6 just dropped ORD-LGB. Could be ORD-OAK, but I think NK must be getting real traction in DFW. They have pulled back on new stuff at LAS and ORD, but not at DFW. I think they will zero in even more on DFW for their expansion. They threw a bunch of stuff against the wall and the DFW stuff is sticking.

miguel0881

Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:13 pm

They're also advertising the resumption of DCA-MYR service from June-August, although this year it appears to be a single weekly flight on Saturday afternoon. What's the point of this? The fares are low -- under $150 r/t a/i. Is this just a token flight to maintain a slot/route?

SANFan

Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:22 pm

Kind of interesting to me that NK skipped over OAK from DFW. I don't believe anyone flys between those 2 cities these days, right? Maybe they've stayed away from Dallas to the Bay Area and LA because of VX? (Doubtful but still...)

Horrible times -- red-eye both ways -- but then we've come to expect that from our friends at Spirit. Hope the route does well.

bb

[Edited 2012-04-18 09:24:47]

mogandoCI

Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:38 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 1):
B6 just dropped ORD-LGB. Could be ORD-OAK, but I think NK must be getting real traction in DFW. They have pulled back on new stuff at LAS and ORD, but not at DFW. I think they will zero in even more on DFW for their expansion. They threw a bunch of stuff against the wall and the DFW stuff is sticking.

Probably a by-product of AA's fortress hub and the Wright Amendment that's holding down WN at DAL. Many price sensitive customers have put up with AA's "take it or leave it" pricing leverage for years (same as UA@IAH or DL@DTW), so they're ripe for the picking by NK (no matter how penny-pinching they are).

I can somewhat envision a 3-way battle of AA/WN/NK after 2014 when Wright Amendment goes away. Sure AA would still have majority market share, but average fares would come down a lot.

DLD9S

Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:42 pm

How many gates does NK have at DFW for the 14 destinations they serve?
717 727 737 747 757 767 777 DC9 DC10 M80 M90 M11 L10 AB6 333 340 319 320 321 ARJ CRJ EM2 EMJ SF3 146 100 BE1...

SANFan

Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:54 pm

Quoting mogandoCI (Reply 4):
Probably a by-product of AA's fortress hub and the Wright Amendment that's holding down WN at DAL. Many price sensitive customers have put up with AA's "take it or leave it" pricing leverage for years (same as UA@IAH or DL@DTW), so they're ripe for the picking by NK (no matter how penny-pinching they are).

No doubt. Since DL abandoned their hub at DFW years ago, there has really been no competition at all for AA. Along with AA's other issues these days, it was inevitable that someone would do this -- and here we are!

It's another case where good old VX could have done this -- expanded from DFW to many of their existing stations -- and probably made a similar killing. But of course, if LAX or SFO ain't at one end of the flight, Mr. Cush just isn't interested...

Go for it, Spirit!

bb

MAH4546

Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:54 pm

I can somewhat envision a 3-way battle of AA/WN/NK after 2014 when Wright Amendment goes away. Sure AA would still have majority market share, but average fares would come down a lot.

That funny.

There is goin to be no battle involving Spirit. NK has made it clear it doesn't want to enter markets to dump capacity or start fare wars. It simply finds markets with good average fares where it can fill a plane, and enters them with a daily flight or two. Interestingly enough, NK's business model and low customer service standards, while obviously working profits, have been polarizing enough that, combined with the fact NK doesn't do capacity dumps,
it makes the effect of lowering fares often negligible.
a.

ROSWELL41
Topic Author

Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:57 pm

I don't know how many gates NK has at DFW, but it seems there is considerable room for expansion in the E concourse. Some have speculated that the renovation of the E remote terminal may in fact be for NK. Considering that NK runs as many destinations out of ORD as DFW and does so with only 2 gates at ORD, I'd say they have plenty of room to grow at DFW.

Beechtobus

Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:28 pm

Spirit uses 4 gates at DFW, E17, 21, 31, and 34. I too am very surprised that LAX and OAK have not been announced. I'm guessing there is a method behind their some times seemingly random choices of route additions.

cschleic

Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:47 pm

Quoting BeechToBus (Reply 9):
I'm guessing there is a method behind their some times seemingly random choices of route additions.

Looking at the AA schedule, they don't have anywhere near as many overnight flights from the west coast to DFW as they used to. And they cut back on ORD flights in general, too. Out of places like PDX, the overnight options for connections east are limited.

B6 just dropped ORD-LGB.

Are they slowly pulling out of LGB altogether?

LAXintl

Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:03 pm

Wow, PDX would be their 15th market from DFW. Impressive

They threw a bunch of stuff against the wall and the DFW stuff is sticking.

Yeah I think for now there is a definite niche of folks in the Dallas area that Spirit can appeal to.

Certainly helps that AA is a bit distracted at the moment, while SWA is hamstrung as to what it can do at DAL.

Also helps that DFW airport seems to have welcomes NK with open arms with incentive packages ready for the taking on new routes.

Quoting cschleic (Reply 10):
Are they slowly pulling out of LGB altogether?

No not at all. B6 actually continues to grow its slot portfolio at LGB. It has repositioned LGB into more a West Coast shorthaul network, with the longer haul stuff moved up to LAX.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

DLD9S

Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:08 pm

I am assuming the new TCL will arrive into D at DFW, but will the outbound depart from E?
717 727 737 747 757 767 777 DC9 DC10 M80 M90 M11 L10 AB6 333 340 319 320 321 ARJ CRJ EM2 EMJ SF3 146 100 BE1...

LAXintl

Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:48 pm

Oh and for those that say NK should do LA and SF from DFW, I’m not sure those fit the model that well. The average fares to LA/SF are already down 30% thanks to VX in recent years.

In comparison announced markets like SAN and now PDX have higher average fares.

For example from DFW.
LAX – $198 / $16.0 cents/mile
SFO – $232 / $15.8 cents/mile

SAN – $252 / $21.4cents/mile
PDX - $290 / $17.9cents/mile

Per a presentation I have one of their market litmus test is the ability to profitably serve a markets by earning >25% lower revenue per pax over existing carriers while also stimulating potential demand up to 50%.

LA/SF area already have pretty decent low fares, so NK would really have to low ball stuff, and even then how much more can they stimulate demand? Might simply not be worth it, with other relative overpriced markets still ripe for the picking instead.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

SANFan

Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:55 pm

I too am very surprised that LAX and OAK have not been announced. I'm guessing there is a method behind their some times seemingly random choices of route additions.

Thinking about NK and their w/c growth so far, and recalling how they started out here (on the left coast from Vegas), I'm willing to bet that OAK will be announced soon, perhaps even with the same 6/21 start date as SAN and PDX. Remember that last June, Spirit had a whole rash of separate new-route announcements -- they started with LAS-PDX on 6/20, then on 6/22 they announced LAS-OAK, and a day later, LAS-SAN was disclosed. (And they announced some ORD-expansion on the 21st I believe.) Seems similar this round although things are a bit more spread out.

DFW-LAX I'm not sure about. I mentioned earlier that maybe VX is affecting NK somehow in that potential market. Of a lot of these probable DFW markets in the far west, I think LAX (plus SFO and SEA) are the only ones with anyone but AA on the route; LA is the only one of those that NK serves.

Just to be clear, I have never thought that NK is after AA's client-base out of DFW and I'm sure whatever Spirit does there will not really impact AA at all. However, for all these new NK markets, at least there is now a choice for those wanting or needing to fly to/from Dallas. And I think Spirit should and will do very well in their niche.

Speaking of the bad timing of the DFW-PDX-DFW times, I am so glad that SAN has our 11:30p-6:30a curfew in place, making it very difficult for a carrier like NK to schedule flights as they gave PDX. Phew! (Of course the PDX service is pretty much getting free aircraft time as the r/t is using a DFW RON plane. As long as they can get pax to fly at those times, it's a win-win for Spirit.)

bb

enilria

Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:28 pm

Probably a by-product of AA's fortress hub and the Wright Amendment that's holding down WN at DAL.

A very smart analysis. I agree. The whole reason NK makes money is that AA doesn't match them. They will do fine until that happens...

...and that is when it probably stops. If AA matches WN at DFW once WN can fly everywhere, it will impact NK quite a bit.

I too am very surprised that LAX and OAK have not been announced. I'm guessing there is a method behind their some times seemingly random choices of route additions.

It's not madness, it's VX. They have obviously avoided competing with them. There is a reason. While AA has ignored NK, they have not ignored VX and have had a price war with VX. There is much less benefit for customers to NK entering those markets than the other markets they've added. That makes it less attractive to NK.

I don't think NK would avoid competing with VX in a normal situation.

mogandoCI

Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:31 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 7):
There is goin to be no battle involving Spirit. NK has made it clear it doesn't want to enter markets to dump capacity or start fare wars. It simply finds markets with good average fares where it can fill a plane, and enters them with a daily flight or two. Interestingly enough, NK's business model and low customer service standards, while obviously working profits, have been polarizing enough that, combined with the fact NK doesn't do capacity dumps,
it makes the effect of lowering fares often negligible.

They don't even have to dump capacity to lower fares. Just having ANY competitor to keep AA's prices honest is already enough to bring down average fares.

IAH has some of the highest prices per distance thanks to no one keeping CO (now UA) in check. Or go look at ATL. Any route that DL has a monopoly commands higher CPM compared to those they compete with AirTran (now WN).

And all this is before WN goes on massive expansion upon Wright Amendment repeal. Good luck guarding the last castle standing, as the moat is shrinking.

AAIL86

Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:49 pm

Quoting mogandoCI (Reply 16):
And all this is before WN goes on massive expansion upon Wright Amendment repeal. Good luck guarding the last castle standing, as the moat is shrinking.

Yes- just like WN is going to destory UA @ IAH with their international buildup? LOL - Their 20 gates @ DAL aren't going to get them far.

As far as NK opening DFW-PDX - well ... lets just say AA has 99 problems but NK aint one!
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason - Benjamim Franklin

mogandoCI

Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:16 pm

Quoting AAIL86 (Reply 17):
Yes- just like WN is going to destory UA @ IAH with their international buildup? LOL - Their 20 gates @ DAL aren't going to get them far.

Just running flights to the 20 biggest business markets and/or WN hubs out of DAL is enough to give AA a headache.

DAL is 6.5 miles from Dallas city center compared to 23 miles for DFW. That's closer than LGA going to midtown Manhattan. The convenience factor cannot be ignored.

This ostrich mentality is exactly how AA lost NYC.

IrishAyes

Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:38 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 15):
...and that is when it probably stops. If AA matches WN at DFW once WN can fly everywhere, it will impact NK quite a bit.

That's largely contingent upon WN's average fare being lower than AA's. The way things are trending, WN really is not the low-fare carrier it once used to be...

Quoting enilria (Reply 15):
It's not madness, it's VX. They have obviously avoided competing with them. There is a reason. While AA has ignored NK, they have not ignored VX and have had a price war with VX. There is much less benefit for customers to NK entering those markets than the other markets they've added. That makes it less attractive to NK.

Right. AA has far more to lose in a battle against VX than NK; therefore, it is willing to put up a fight.

Quoting AAIL86 (Reply 17):

Quoting mogandoCI (Reply 16):

There is enough room for both UA and WN to compete at IAH/HOU and AA and WN to compete at DFW/DAL. The population growth metrics + business ties in each of these cities are sizable enough to support each operation.

Quoting mogandoCI (Reply 18):
DAL is 6.5 miles from Dallas city center compared to 23 miles for DFW. That's closer than LGA going to midtown Manhattan. The convenience factor cannot be ignored.

The distance to downtown isn't the only relevant factor here. In fact, I'd say is fairly negligible. If that were the case, then MDW would be the dominant airport in Chicago, when everyone knows that the larger and more important one is ORD.

For one, the airport has to be centrally located in a way that the entire MSA can access it with ease. Sans for the obnoxious construction going on the north side of the airport, DFW airport is also far more easily accessible than Love Field, because it is reached by tons of freeways. DAL, on the other hand, is a pain in the rear to get to, even though it's closer to downtown.

Two, DFW caters to an entirely different city IN ADDITION to Dallas, along with its respective suburbs, and mid-cities like Arlington and Denton. The convenience factor of DAL for those people is non-applicable.

Three, many business are located all over the North Texas metro-plex, not just downtown, and hence business traffic is headed to points all over the place, including the suburbs of Dallas, Ft. Worth and the mid-cities.

There are also a few more things that come into play, such as the proximity of the airport to the more affluent neighborhoods where disposable income is higher, and therefore likelihood of travel is higher.

This ostrich mentality is exactly how AA lost NYC.

NYC is a different breed because more or less all business traffic is headed towards Manhattan. That's really not the case for any other city in the US I believe.

Also, AA has not "lost" NYC. You keep on saying that over and over, but I don't want to get into a pi$$ing match over this again, because it's neither factual nor relevant to this discussion.
confidence is silent. insecurities are loud.

GSPSPOT

Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:20 pm

Hope they do well there! Great to see an LFC with flights to a meaningful number of cities from DFW. Should be good for consumers, regardless of the AA outcome.
Finally made it to an airline mecca!

AAIL86

Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:27 pm

I've lived in Dallas for the last 27 years. Believe me - the difference between DFW and DAL is negligible. Also, the importance of downtown Dallas is very overstated - because everything here is so widely dispersed. Exxon Mobil's global headquarters, for example, are closer to DFW then DAL, as are BNSF, Citi, Nokia, Lockheed, and RadioShack.

Quoting IrishAyes (Reply 19):

There is enough room for both UA and WN to compete at IAH/HOU and AA and WN to compete at DFW/DAL.

Yes- agreed. I was being sarcastic about WN running UA out out of IAH  

milemaster

Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:00 pm

Serious question, have you been to The DFW metroplex before?

BlatantEcho

Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:51 am

Makes sense given the only competition is AA. Can't really see this hurting American as I imagine most of their PDX-DFW pax are connecting.

Interesting times @ PDX!
They're not handing trophies out today

F9Animal

Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:56 am

Still waiting for NK to come to SEA. Seattle to Las Vegas would be saaaawwwweeeet!
I Am A Different Animal!!

skycub

Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:59 am

So with all of this growth, is there any more talk about the Terminal E Satellite re-opening?

I ask that out of personal greed.... I would love to see the inside of it! LOL
My opinions are my own. They are not representative of my employer, my union or my co-workers. They are all mine.

PDX88

Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:22 am

Has anyone seen the departure/arrival times between DFW-PDX? Arrives PDX 12:50a, and departs PDX at 12:40a? I'm guessing they will use the old RON a/c from LAS and get it out 10 mins before DFW lands so they can still operate just out of D2.

HPRamper

Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:52 am

So any kind of delay boarding means the inbound plane gets to sit on the tarmac. Superb idea.

pdx

Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:22 am

Quoting PDX88 (Reply 26):

They can use an empty gate at the end of "C" or "D" for their DFW arrival. There are at least 5 vacant ones at the end of "C". I don't know what's more pathetic...the AS ticket counter (or what's left of it) or the empty gates???

Beechtobus

Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:33 am

Quoting PDX: exactly, as much as I love that airport, its definitely over built as it stands now so I don't think finding an empty gate in the event of the delayed outbound will be an issue.

pdx

Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:43 am

Quoting BeechToBus (Reply 29):

Yep, you're right. Those gates were being used before Alaska handed over a lot of flights to Horizon. Hopefully VIrgin America will take over one of them when they begin service in June. I LOVE PDX, but it will never be the same since Delta closed their hub (Asian flights) here. It was awesome when we had that!

RWA380

Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:59 am

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 11):
Wow, PDX would be their 15th market from DFW. Impressive

Just bought two tickets for myself and my partner for $115.16 r/t no seats or bags, leaving 9/11 at 12:50am and return the next day, the 12th at 11pm.The only dates in Sept that were available for those promo fares. I couldn't resist paying that for a chance to go get some good Texas BBQ. I guess I'll be the next Anetter complaining about NK, we are only taking a small backpack each with 1 change of clothes and a few supplies, water bottle, granola bars, any other NK advice from experienced NK'ers? I've never done this, and always swore I would never fly NK, ah the weakness this Scottsman feels at a true bargain, or is it?

Quoting PDX88 (Reply 26):
Has anyone seen the departure/arrival times between DFW-PDX? Arrives PDX 12:50a, and departs PDX at 12:40a? I'm guessing they will use the old RON a/c from LAS and get it out 10 mins before DFW lands so they can still operate just out of D2.

With only 3 flights a day, NK doesn't need any more space, the flights are spaced apart enough to allow for delays and MX.
Next Flights: PDX-HNL-OGG-LIH-PDX On AS, WP & HA

nkops

Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:23 am

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 31):
any other NK advice from experienced NK'ers?

Just don't expect too much... I fly NK often and understand that you get the bare minimum... If you plan on not getting an advanced seat, then get to airport early... NK will get you from point A to point B safely and thats what counts in my book.
:evil:

RWA380

Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:36 am

Quoting nkops (Reply 32):
Just don't expect too much... I fly NK often and understand that you get the bare minimum... If you plan on not getting an advanced seat, then get to airport early... NK will get you from point A to point B safely and thats what counts in my book.

Yeah, thats about what I was thinking when booking, 4 hours on a A-319 in the middle of the night, I am now planning on getting seat assignments in advance, and paying the ten bux each way per person, so we can get a window and adjacent.
I will bring my own BOB, and I don't even expect to interact with the flight attendants, and I'm sure they'll be thankful at the times these flights are timed for PDX-DFW-PDX. but for $115.16 for two seats, I can't expect anything more than a air worthy plane, a sober crew and lots of cramped seats. I had back surgery a year ago, hope I can walk after the flights. Did I hear NK seats don't recline? or was that Ryanair? Not that 2 inch recline is worth pushing the button.

Pe@rson

Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:40 am

Well, RWA380, you appear proactive and sensible by trying to do what is desired rather than turning up and being surprised or whatever. You must be commended for that. If you do it and dislike it, then at least you're given it a go with what appears to be a pretty open mind.

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 33):
Ryanair?

Indeed, no recline with FR - and I'm glad about that. No idea about NK.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

RWA380

Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:58 am

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 34):
Well, RWA380, you appear proactive and sensible by trying to do what is desired rather than turning up and being surprised or whatever. You must be commended for that. If you do it and dislike it, then at least you're given it a go with what appears to be a pretty open mind

Yeah, again I paid $115.16 for two tickets to fly halfway across the country, I'd feel embarrassed to expect much. If I don't like it. that's not the worst thing, I have a feeling I'll be happy with my purchase. Just looked for a friend wanting to go with us, and she's out of luck, we got the last two seats on the 9/12 return, looks like 9/11 is the only open day in either direction for the promo fare. I've changed planes at DFW lots of times, and even drove through Dallas enroute from Portland to Atlanta, but I've never stayed and seen Dallas before, should be fun. Any words of wisdom from Dallas saavy Anetters? I am planning to use points to stay at the Hyatt Galleria. Do I need to rent a car, or is there decent airport-downtown hotel shuttles, or is a towncar the best way to go? Is there a better place to stay for a cool vibe atmosphere? I'm a Portlander, so weird or eclectic is fine with me, not so much with accommodations, but area where theres shopping and restaurants, clubs.

Thanks for the support, I've heard so much bad, and I am a bit spoiled having flown wordwide in J & F before, but I've been craving good BBQ since I saw this thread and decided to take the leap. I hear NK is like FR, but maybe not as bad.

[Edited 2012-04-19 04:21:11]

[Edited 2012-04-19 04:21:51]

CIDFlyer

Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:52 am

Quoting SkyCub (Reply 25):
So with all of this growth, is there any more talk about the Terminal E Satellite re-opening?

I ask that out of personal greed.... I would love to see the inside of it! LOL

I heard they are re-opening it as part of the remodeling program so when they re-do parts of E they will move airlines over. Who knows with Spirits expansion they may just keep E open for good!

GSPSPOT

Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:05 pm

Quoting CIDFlyer (Reply 36):
Who knows with Spirits expansion they may just keep E open for good!

As long as NK sticks around long enough!

nkops

Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:02 pm

Did I hear NK seats don't recline?

The A320 seats do not recline, the A319 and A321 do recline... I don't know which is doing the flight (pretty sure it is not an A321). Also, for 4 hours, I would defenitely spend the $$ for advanced seat.

Quoting GSPSPOT (Reply 37):
As long as NK sticks around long enough!

I not sure if you mean as a company or in DFW... Company wise they are doing very well.

GSPSPOT

Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:20 pm

Quoting nkops (Reply 38):
I not sure if you mean as a company or in DFW... Company wise they are doing very well.

In DFW. I've seen them come into a city and pull out quickly. I know DFW isn't a typical market, but still...

OB1504

Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:44 am

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 27):
So any kind of delay boarding means the inbound plane gets to sit on the tarmac. Superb idea.

Then again, NK is far from the only airline with such close timings.

I will bring my own BOB, and I don't even expect to interact with the flight attendants, and I'm sure they'll be thankful at the times these flights are timed for PDX-DFW-PDX. but for $115.16 for two seats, I can't expect anything more than a air worthy plane, a sober crew and lots of cramped seats. I had back surgery a year ago, hope I can walk after the flights. Did I hear NK seats don't recline? or was that Ryanair? Not that 2 inch recline is worth pushing the button.

As nkops mentioned, the seats on the A320 fleet are pre-reclined for your comfort, and feature a spacious 28" of seat pitch in Deluxe Leather. Additional seat pitch is available in rows 2, 12, and 13. The seats on the A319 and A321 do recline (with the exception of rows 10 and 26 on the A319 and rows 10, 23, and 38 on the A321) and offer 31" of seat pitch in Deluxe Leather. Additional seat pitch is available in rows 4, 5, and 11 on the A319, and in rows 2, 11, 12, 24, and 25 on the A321.

In all likelihood, your flight will be operated by an A319, as they're generally being used to further Spirit's westward expansion, with the A320 taking over in the east. The A321 fleet generally routes FLL-LGA-FLL-ACY-MCO-ACY-MCO-ACY-TPA-ACY-FLL throughout the course of two days. The A321 that remains overnight at FLL may occasionally be used on one of the late-night bank of flights to Latin America and the Caribbean. For example, tail 588 is currently flying NK 439 FLL-MGA, but she'll be back at FLL in time for flight NK 604 to LGA in the morning.

On a semi-related note, seat assignment is free when checking in via the kiosk (though a $2 fee per boarding pass printed at the kiosk does go into effect on June 30th), and exit seats are always free at check-in whether using the kiosk or checking in with an agent.

The fare you've quoted includes a passenger usage fee of $17.98 per customer, roundtrip. You can save $35.96 on this trip by buying your tickets in person, since the passenger usage fee does not apply to bookings completed at an airport location. If you do this, however, do not add your FREE SPIRIT number to the reservation online. There is a glitch in the reservations system wherein adding a frequent flier number online to a booking completed at the airport will trigger the passenger usage fee regardless. You won't be aware of this outstanding debt on your reservation until you are unable to check in either online or via the kiosk (though this means all boarding pass fees will be waived), and the agent will be at a loss as to where these phantom charges came from because they do not appear on the record history. To receive frequent flier credit, simply use the "Request mileage credit" form on the website after travel is completed. Your miles will post instantly.

I would strongly recommend joining the $9 Fare Club. When discounts are offered, it's typically $40 over the non-member roundtrip fare, and the lowest sale fares tend to be exclusive to members. You also receive $10 off baggage fees (only if paid online—all customers pay the same fees at the airport), so if you save $40 on the airfare and travel with just one bag, saving an additional $20, the $59.95 annual membership has already paid for itself.

Looking through my receipts, I've competed or will be taking the following trips, all prices including taxes and government fees:

- FLL-MCO, $21.42 roundtrip
- FLL-IAG, $33.12 roundtrip
- FLL-CRW, $23.62 roundtrip
- FLL-BOS, $21.62 roundtrip
- FLL-LGA, $39.60 roundtrip
- FLL-DCA, $60.61 roundtrip
- FLL-DEN, $39.60 roundtrip
- FLL-DCA, $39.60 roundtrip
- FLL-LGA, $39.60 roundtrip

Lastly, the distinction between a carry-on bag ($40 at the airport) and a personal item (free!) is strongly enforced. My recommendation is to travel with a soft-sided gym/duffel bag that can easily be squished into the sizer box. If you try to bring a rollaboard with solid sides, you're basically going to end up paying an extra $40 because you'd rather drag yoru bag on the floor than just carry it. Of course, if you do travel with a paid carry-on, you get priority boarding.

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 34):
Well, RWA380, you appear proactive and sensible by trying to do what is desired rather than turning up and being surprised or whatever. You must be commended for that. If you do it and dislike it, then at least you're given it a go with what appears to be a pretty open mind.

Very well put. As a former customer service agent, my favorite customers were always the ones who made the effort to be informed travelers, and they always had the best experiences because they knew what to expect.

[Edited 2012-04-19 21:53:56]

RWA380

Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:05 am

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 40):
As nkops mentioned, the seats on the A320 fleet are pre-reclined for your comfort, and feature a spacious 28" of seat pitch in Deluxe Leather. Additional seat pitch is available in rows 2, 12, and 13. The seats on the A319 and A321 do recline (with the exception of rows 10 and 26 on the A319 and rows 10, 23, and 38 on the A321) and offer 31" of seat pitch in Deluxe Leather. Additional seat pitch is available in rows 4, 5, and 11 on the A319, and in rows 2, 11, 12, 24, and 25 on the A321.

In all likelihood, your flight will be operated by an A319, as they're generally being used to further Spirit's westward expansion, with the A320 taking over in the east. The A321 fleet generally routes FLL-LGA-FLL-ACY-MCO-ACY-MCO-ACY-TPA-ACY-FLL throughout the course of two days. The A321 that remains overnight at FLL may occasionally be used on one of the late-night bank of flights to Latin America and the Caribbean. For example, tail 588 is currently flying NK 439 FLL-MGA, but she'll be back at FLL in time for flight NK 604 to LGA in the morning.

On a semi-related note, seat assignment is free when checking in via the kiosk (though a $2 fee per boarding pass printed at the kiosk does go into effect on June 30th), and exit seats are always free at check-in whether using the kiosk or checking in with an agent.

The fare you've quoted includes a passenger usage fee of $17.98 per customer, roundtrip. You can save $35.96 on this trip by buying your tickets in person, since the passenger usage fee does not apply to bookings completed at an airport location. If you do this, however, do not add your FREE SPIRIT number to the reservation online. There is a glitch in the reservations system wherein adding a frequent flier number online to a booking completed at the airport will trigger the passenger usage fee regardless. You won't be aware of this outstanding debt on your reservation until you are unable to check in either online or via the kiosk (though this means all boarding pass fees will be waived), and the agent will be at a loss as to where these phantom charges came from because they do not appear on the record history. To receive frequent flier credit, simply use the "Request mileage credit" form on the website after travel is completed. Your miles will post instantly.

I would strongly recommend joining the $9 Fare Club. When discounts are offered, it's typically $40 over the non-member roundtrip fare, and the lowest sale fares tend to be exclusive to members. You also receive $10 off baggage fees (only if paid online—all customers pay the same fees at the airport), so if you save $40 on the airfare and travel with just one bag, saving an additional $20, the $59.95 annual membership has already paid for itself

I have paid for them, so I'll know next time, the airport is only 20 mins from my home, so a quick drive from downtown out there will be perfect to save some bucks. I thank you for all the info you provided, I'm already seeing where to stay and what there is to do in Dallas. If I were in a city like FLL, where NK is big and goes tons of places, I'd be into the club, but for LAS and DFW, I'm going to just see how this one goes before committing to the NK lifestyle. otherwise I'd most likely be apt to travel more than I do currently. The system automatically assigned me a spirit number, but not my companion. My friend who flew NK to LAS last month said to get seats in advance too.

RWA380

Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:44 am

The seats on the A319 and A321 do recline (with the exception of rows 10 and 26 on the A319 and rows 10, 23, and 38 on the A321) and offer 31" of seat pitch in Deluxe Leather. Additional seat pitch is available in rows 4, 5, and 11 on the A319

When booking on Spirits website, it did indicate the planes are scheduled as A-319's, of course I know this can change, but does the A-320 make it to DFW yet? I've looked at pics in the database, is the Silver-Staggered Green checkerboard looking livery the one on the way in, or on the way out? I like the White planes with blue and a red dash in the r of Spirit. For the ones I've seen when at PDX and NK is here, are the Silver/Grey liveries.

nkops

Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:06 pm

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 42):
For the ones I've seen when at PDX and NK is here, are the Silver/Grey liveries.

Spirit has not been in any hurry to paint the gray ones, I believe they only paint them when they go in for the heavy checks..

I believe the A320 has made it to DFW, but doing the east coast runs of LGA and ORD.

RWA380

Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:01 pm

Quoting nkops (Reply 43):
Spirit has not been in any hurry to paint the gray ones, I believe they only paint them when they go in for the heavy checks..

I believe the A320 has made it to DFW, but doing the east coast runs of LGA and ORD.

I've been travel industry so long, I'm not used to having a "person" to help with possible extras or insight, so your input is appreciated. Can I go in after the fact of buying my tickets, and add seats online? I will pay the fee to know I've got a decent seat we want, together and not split up. I am going to take a small personal item, soft sided with few things, and my notebook computer, waters and granola bars.

nkops

Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:38 pm

You can go in afterwards and purchase your seat... make sure you put your computer inside your soft side carry-on while boarding, otherwise there is the possibility they will consider that 2 items.

OB1504

Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:40 am

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 41):
My friend who flew NK to LAS last month said to get seats in advance too.

Spirit has trained me to be as frugal as possible when flying, so I just hold out until the day of departure and choose my seats for free on the kiosk. I generally have luck getting exit seats.

When booking on Spirits website, it did indicate the planes are scheduled as A-319's, of course I know this can change, but does the A-320 make it to DFW yet?

I've only seen the A320 flying into DFW occasionally on the FLL-DFW-LAS thru flight. I don't think it's likely that they'll find their way to PDX other than on a rare equipment substitution, since the A320 is so uncommon in the west.

I've looked at pics in the database, is the Silver-Staggered Green checkerboard looking livery the one on the way in, or on the way out? I like the White planes with blue and a red dash in the r of Spirit. For the ones I've seen when at PDX and NK is here, are the Silver/Grey liveries.

The white/red/blue livery is the new corporate identity unveiled in 2007 on N501NK (the former Spirit of Detroit). So far, tails 502, 503, 504, 505, and 506 have been repainted into the new colors. Tails 533 and 534 were delivered from Airbus in the new colors, and feature some slight differences when compared to the repainted aircraft (the blue and red extends farther forward on the fuselage on 533 and 534).

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Giovanni Verbeeck
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Klaus Ecker

The entire A320 fleet (601 thru 609 and 611 thru 613) was also delivered in the new colors, and the A321 fleet (587 & 588) has not been repainted at all.

As nkops said, the airline is in no hurry at all to repaint the fleet, only applying the new livery when the airplane has to be repainted anyway after heavy checks. I would assume this is because the airline isn't planning on keeping the A319 fleet for very long, considering the massive A320 and A320neo orders on the books. Tails 501, 511, 515, 518, 519, 520, and 521 have already left the fleet.

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 44):
I've been travel industry so long, I'm not used to having a "person" to help with possible extras or insight, so your input is appreciated. Can I go in after the fact of buying my tickets, and add seats online? I will pay the fee to know I've got a decent seat we want, together and not split up.

As a customer service agent, I always loved helping my customers get the most bang for their buck (to reference the latest Spirit sale). And yes, you can add any optional services at any time to your reservation, regardless of whether you originally booked online, by phone, or at the airport. After all, what point would there be to not allowing you to give more money to the airline?  
Quoting nkops (Reply 45):
You can go in afterwards and purchase your seat... make sure you put your computer inside your soft side carry-on while boarding, otherwise there is the possibility they will consider that 2 items.

This depends on how strictly the agent at the security checkpoint and/or the gate interprets the 1+1 rule, but it's always best to play it safe and consolidate your items into one bag.

RWA380

Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:57 am

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 46):
Spirit has trained me to be as frugal as possible when flying, so I just hold out until the day of departure and choose my seats for free on the kiosk. I generally have luck getting exit seats.

Even when travelling with someone else? I really want to ensure we're seated together.

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 46):
I've only seen the A320 flying into DFW occasionally on the FLL-DFW-LAS thru flight. I don't think it's likely that they'll find their way to PDX other than on a rare equipment substitution, since the A320 is so uncommon in the west

I am quite happy with the 319, I'd be glad with a 318 too, the 320 is supposed to be more scant on the seat pitch. I do wonder if the planes will be new or old livery, guess I'll find out at the gate. I'm going to solicit anyone who knows Dallas for recommendations for a hotel in a cool area, with shops, restaurants and clubs. I'm sure I'll rent a car for two days.

Beechtobus

Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:14 pm

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 47):

While the 320 does technically have an inch or two less pitch than the 319, the 320 has the Recaro slimline seat so I believe that you actually have the same or maybe even a little more legroom in the 320. Also the 319 has a metal bar on the top of the seatback pocket at knee level than can be annoying if you have longer than average legs. The 320 had a netted seatback pocket that's easier on the knees.

AAIL86

Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:09 am

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 47):
I do wonder if the planes will be new or old livery, guess I'll find out at the gate. I'm going to solicit anyone who knows Dallas for recommendations for a hotel in a cool area, with shops, restaurants and clubs

I'd recommend either the uptown neighborhood of Dallas, or better yet the 7th street area of Fort Worth. FW doesn't get a lot of press compared to Dallas, but its really the coolest place in the area - and with a bit of shopping around you can score a reasonably priced hotel in those neighborhoods.

the seats on the A320 fleet are pre-reclined for your comfort, and feature a spacious 28" of seat pitch in Deluxe Leather

pre-reclined for my comfort? A spacious 28" of seat pitch? LOL that really made me chuckle. Of course- when your 20 and on a bit of a budget - an airline like NK is a great option to have - much like FR in Europe. Being 6'4" myself you wont see me sampling those spacious 28" pre-reclined seats, though!