hatbutton
Topic Author

AS Ending ADK. KS Submits Bid.

Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:38 pm

http://kucb.org/news/article/penair-...ests-34m-subsidy-for-adak-flights/

Penair is proposing an EAS subsidy request of $3.4m to serve ADK 4 times weekly from ANC. That's more than double the subsidy currently given to AS's two times weekly service with the 737-400 combi.

I love flying just as much as anyone on here, but ANC-ADK is an awful long flight for a Saab. I imagine it will be a one stop through DUT? The article doesn't give any details on that though. ANC-DUT is blocked at 3 hours on the Saab already. ANC-ADK is 1.5 times the distance as ANC-DUT.

AS said that they have been losing money even with the subsidy and even Penair admits that when they put in their own proposal 2 years ago, they would have lost money at the revenue projections they came up with.

If awarded, this would make it the second most expensive subsidy in the EAS program, right behind their newly awarded service from PQI-BOS.

thegoldenargosy

RE: AS Ending ADK. KS Submits Bid.

Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:30 pm

According to Great Circle Mapper the distance between ANC & ADK is 1,192 miles . The max range of a Saab 340 is 1,076 miles. So this flight must have to stop somewhere. I love the Saab but I'm not sure I'd want to spend 3hrs in that cabin with it's rustic lavatory.

Pe@rson

Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:46 pm

Quoting thegoldenargosy (Reply 1):
I'm not sure I'd want to spend 3hrs in that cabin with it's rustic lavatory.

How many times would you need to use the toilet on a 3-hour sector?!
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

BD338

Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:28 pm

Last year had a total of ~3700 passengers (enplane/deplane) at ADK. Around 19-20 per flight on average. Assuming the passenger levels continue, and they get the $3.4M, that's around $920 per passenger one-way subsidy. Wow.

AirframeAS

Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:35 pm

Quoting hatbutton (Thread starter):
AS said that they have been losing money even with the subsidy and even Penair admits that when they put in their own proposal 2 years ago, they would have lost money at the revenue projections they came up with.

What would be the solution to keep ADK running for either airline? Jack up the fares and cargo prices?? If ADK loses service, they are doomed which those people would have no choice but to turn ADK into a ghost town.

Who else flies into ADK? I'm sure some GA aircraft do.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

BoeingGuy

Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:32 pm

That's too bad. I remember when AS started ADK. They started it about the same time they started MCO, so the CEO's article at the front of AS's in-flight magazine had a bit about how diverse their expansion is. He contrasted how incredibly different places MCO and ADK are, yet both are the newest additions to AS's route map.

JetBlueGuy2006

Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:42 pm

Quoting BD338 (Reply 3):
that's around $920 per passenger one-way subsidy

While that is really high, it is probably important to remember that one of the original intents of EAS was to serve in places like Alaska with so many remote communities. I was just watching "Flying Wild Alaska" and 99% of the places they fly, the only way you will get in and out of the communites is by air.
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

hatbutton
Topic Author

Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:54 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 5):
Jack up the fares and cargo prices?

Fares are already $1200-$1500 round trip, even with the subsidy. How much more do you think anyone would be willing to pay?

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 4):
If ADK loses service, they are doomed which those people would have no choice but to turn ADK into a ghost town.

Hate to say it but it already pretty much is a ghost town. The reason DUT survives without subsidies is because of its use as a port for a significant amount of fishing vessels. ADK is nowhere near a launching point for any type of fishing fleet.

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 4):
Who else flies into ADK? I'm sure some GA aircraft do.
http://www.airnav.com/airport/PADK

According to Airnav.com, they averaged 28 aircraft movements per month in the year ending January 2011. 62% of that was commercial service. So there really isn't much going on there other than this EAS service.

hiflyeras

Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:28 am

Hate to sound callous but maybe Adak doesn't really have a purpose anymore. It seems the whole town is actually now owned by an Alaska Native corporation...Aleut Corporation....and only a little more than 350 people live there. It's reason for being in recent history was a military installation, now closed and a Cold War relic. Is it really the best use of EAS funds to pay a huge subsidy to so few people to maintain air service? Seems to me that if the whole town is privately owned that the corporation that owns it can provide charter service as needed.

Good read on the history of Adak: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adak,_Alaska

BoeingGuy

Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:52 am

How come AS has never served Cold Bay?

usxguy

Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:53 am

... because PenAir is already in there. And interestingly enough, the Adak flights will make a fuel stop in Cold Bay.
xx

flyPBA

Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:40 am

Quoting HiFlyerAS (Reply 8):
According to Airnav.com, they averaged 28 aircraft movements per month in the year ending January 2011. 62% of that was commercial service. So there really isn't much going on there other than this EAS service.

The Coast Guard uses Adak quite a lot when they are patrolling/searching the waters out there

Dash8Driver16

Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:41 pm

I traveled out there two years ago. There are 13 passengers on the plane, two TSA agents, a mechanic, and ten revenue PAX. It was a pretty incredible place, there were people lining the fence when we arrived waiting for their freight and also for just the novelty. The agents there said that the Coasties come out and use it as a base for searches as well as air ambulance services.

[Edited 2012-04-19 10:52:29]

GentFromAlaska

Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:15 pm

Too bad the Alaska Air Group couldn't stage a QX airframe in ANC to flight to run the flight.
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.

mhkansan

Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:31 am

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 13):
Too bad the Alaska Air Group couldn't stage a QX airframe in ANC to flight to run the flight.

The leg is within the advertised range of the Q400. Maybe QX would consider it if there were more of a market for Q flying up north.

Web

Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:06 pm

I would think that overall, the Saab would be the more economical choice of aircraft, especially given the light pax loads. Somebody has to pay for these flights, and it just seems wasteful to send so much aircraft to a place that doesn't need the lift of a 734.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos