nomorerjs
Topic Author

WN / FL Int'l At MDW?

Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:20 am

We've seen the WN/HOU/IAH spat lately and WN signing with Amadeus. So what is the impact at MDW? MDW is currently the largest "non-hub" airport for WN, with CUN service approved and going to start on FL this summer. Will WN have a similar int'l structure at MDW similar to TZ? MDW can support Mexico and Canada on O&D alone, but as a "non-hub?" I think MEX, GDL, PVR, YYZ, YUL, YEG, YVR, and others (SJU if you want to include this at Int'l).

apodino

RE: WN / FL Int'l At MDW?

Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:28 am

I don't believe FL ever served Canada, and with most of the cities in Canada you would think that WN would serve being pre clear stations, they could fly just about anywhere in the US. You wonder though with the switch to Amadeus if they might try the WestJet codeshare again, or just try their own canadian service? There are some high landing fees though at many of those airports, so don't get your hopes up.

As for Mexico, MDW does have an FIS so they could in theory fly just about anywhere in mexico from MDW. Mexicana had some service at ORD for a while, but with them belly up, there isn't much service outside of UA and AA in Chicago, and even that is limited at best. There is a hispanic population in Chicago though, so I think there would be enough to support some of the Mexican cities. SJU is a stretch though and I am not sure that WN's 737's would be able to get there from MDW with the short runways.

mariner

Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:36 am

Quoting nomorerjs (Thread starter):
I think MEX, GDL, PVR, YYZ, YUL, YEG, YVR, and others (SJU if you want to include this at Int'l).
Quoting apodino (Reply 1):
As for Mexico, MDW does have an FIS so they could in theory fly just about anywhere in mexico from MDW.

They can't fly MDW to PVR or SJD, there aren't any authorities available, at least as long as the present incumbents hold.

Although they went to battle for the CHI-CUN authority, Southwest did not object to Frontier having ORD-PVR and ORD-SJD, which were the last authorities available for those routes.

mariner
aeternum nauta

EWRandMDW

Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:15 pm

IIRC TZ flew nonstop between MDW and NAS, MBJ, GCM and AUA in addition to several locations in Mexico. NAS, MBJ and AUA are pre-clearance facilities. Couldn't WN/FL at least fly to any or all of these places?

Mexicana757

Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:53 pm

I think WN out of MDW will probably replicate what TZ had going in the early 2000s for international service. I don't see them doing much VFR routes in Mexico. Maybe GDL, leaving Volaris to handle that for them. In Mexico WN/FL can't fly to MEX, PVR and SJD from Chicago as all route authorities are taken up on U.S. side.

Quoting apodino (Reply 1):
Mexicana had some service at ORD for a while, but with them belly up, there isn't much service outside of UA and AA in Chicago, and even that is limited at best.

AA and UA aren't the only airlines flying to Mexico from Chicago. At ORD there's AM with flights to BJX, CUN, DGO, GDL, MEX, and MTY. At MDW you have Volaris flying to GDL, MEX, MLM and ZCL. And the unknown status of the Vivaaerobus MTY-MDW flights.

Type-Rated

Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:08 pm

The Pilsen neighborhood in Chicago is just about 6 miles north of MDW, right up Cicero AV. It's one of the biggest Latino neighborhoods in Chicago.
I imagine there would be room for one more carrier for the VFR flights.

Isn't Amedeus an evolution of the old EA System One? I think I read that somewhere. What confuses me is that why does Southwest want to go with a RES system that is used predominantly by European airlines? It would seem to me that they could have gotten something like like Worldspan much cheaper. Just wondering.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!