FRNT787
Topic Author

New Frontier/Republic #35

Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:28 am

Over 300 posts in the previous, time to move on:

Mariner dropped the rumors that United and Republic have worked out a contract for the Q400. (STRESSING RUMORS)

Republic will have their Q1 Conference Call next Thursday, April 26. Results will be above the highest end of previous guidance due to strong Revenue from Frontier.
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....-newsArticle&ID=1685022&highlight=

Additionally, Polly the Parrot will be the newest spokesanimal.

Lastly, Frontier has announced the return to George Bush Intercontinental (IAH) leaving Hobby Airport (HOU) after about a year.

Previous Thread: New Frontier/Republic #34 (by point2point Mar 12 2012 in Civil Aviation)
"We have a right to fail, because failure makes us grow" --Glenn Beck

pilotfox

RE: New Frontier/Republic #35

Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:42 am

Anyone heard any rumors on F9 being bought my someone last Friday? The rumor says they were bought and it will be announced sometime tomorrow (Friday). Again, all rumors, I guess we shall see tomorrow.

point2point

Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:50 am

Quoting FRNT787 (Thread starter):
Mariner dropped the rumors that United and Republic have worked out a contract for the Q400. (STRESSING RUMORS)

Hmmmmm...... ??

What hubs will this be for?

Quoting pilotfox (Reply 1):
The rumor says they were bought and it will be announced sometime tomorrow (Friday)

Hmmmmm.....?? And the rumor mill churns.......

mariner

Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:25 am

Quoting point2point (Reply 2):
Hmmmmm...... ??

I've been hearing murmurs about this since Pinnacle (as Colgan) decided to "wind down" it's Q400 flying and United needs a replacement. Cranky Flier was the first one to suggest it in public:

http://crankyflier.com/2012/04/03/pi...ptcy-protection-you-shouldnt-care/

" The Q400s had found a nice niche in the northeast as Continental Connection, but apparently the contract simply wasn’t producing for Colgan. It’s walking away completely with all flights under the United name stopped by the end of November.

Now that does seem like something that should concern you as a traveler, but it really shouldn’t. It’s not like these routes are going to disappear just because Colgan walks away. I asked United for a statement and was told this:

We are working with Colgan to transition their flying for United Express to other carriers, and are working hard to accommodate our customers. We have contingency plans in place and will contact any customer whose reservation may change as a result of the transition.

In other words, while there could be some disruption, United will just find someone else to take over Colgan’s flying. Maybe United will turn to Horizon Air, a very experienced Q400 operator. Or maybe Republic will pick up the flying since it has been flying those airplanes for Frontier"

Over the past couple of days, I've been hearing a lot of rumors that it is actually Republic. But - just rumors, nothing you can take to the bank. Apologies in advance if they prove to be only rumors.

mariner
aeternum nauta

rampart

Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:30 am

Quoting point2point (Reply 2):

I'm guessing EWR. Isn't Colgan's operation via Pinnacle, in Chap 11, in jeopardy? UA will need a flock of replacement, or at least help if Colgan cuts back. There's a steady stream of Dash 8s into EWR, it has to come from somewhere.

I'm having trouble tracking these developments. Menke out at Pinnacle (going where?). He wouldn't be coming back to run Q400 operations for UA and Republic, would he?

-Rampart

FRNT787
Topic Author

Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:16 am

Quoting rampart (Reply 4):
I'm having trouble tracking these developments. Menke out at Pinnacle (going where?). He wouldn't be coming back to run Q400 operations for UA and Republic, would he?

Doubtful. I dont think it is needed. RAH has Wayne Heller as COO and BB as CEO who are now focusing fully on the CPA business. Colgan will have no more Q400 flights. The rumor is about RAH replacing Colgan.
"We have a right to fail, because failure makes us grow" --Glenn Beck

bjorn14

Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:29 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 3):
Apologies in advance if they prove to be only rumors.

That's the lifeblood of A.net....rumor and speculation.   
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

gustywinds

Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:39 pm

Mariner might be getting some of the same snipets I am. Yes, it's just rumors, but there are many pieces coming together.

Colgan has announced it will get out of the Q400 business. UA owns the Q400s and will probably give that flying to another regional.

The only other Q400 operators in the lower 48 are Republic(Lynx) and Horizon. Out of the two, Republic makes the most sense since Shuttle America already flies for UA. Yes, another carrier could get the Q400 certified, but that will take some time.

Republic announced the grounding of their 4 remaining Q400s and then 'changed their minds.' It appears the Q400 will continue to fly a very limited schedule until September.

For a reason I cannot quite figure out Republic has grounded their Q400s for two weeks. It does appear they've pulled at least 1 Q400 to fly as a spare, but the others are not flying. It looks like the Q400s are back in the F9 schedule at the end of this two week period.

I believe internally Republic has stated they are studying the developments and will go after the Q400 flying at UA if it makes sense.

Then, I have UA Express friends who say corporate UA in ORD has told them to figure out how to park Q400s in DEN.

Then, I heard Republic will train the UA Express trainers on the Q400 some time in May.

I have also heard 4 Q400s will initially fly for UA in DEN and that number should increase to 11 by the end of the year.

I believe the Q400 will fly to mountain destinations.

So, all of this makes sense to me except why DEN and not EWR. Maybe it's because Colgan will continue Q400 flying until November. I believe that was the date mentioned above. It seems the quickest and easiest thing to do, taxi those Q400s from concourse A over to B at DIA. Get the Q400 flying in DEN and then expand that over to EWR later this year.

So, yes it's all rumors, but I believe we'll see Republic's Q400s flying for UA around June.

Where does that leave F9 in DEN? Will they be short aircraft if the Q400s go to UA or is there a plan to quickly acquire a few more A320s?

GentFromAlaska

Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:38 pm

Quoting gustywinds (Reply 7):
I have also heard 4 Q400s will initially fly for UA in DEN and that number should increase to 11 by the end of the year.

Aspen is being teased again.
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.

mariner

Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:43 pm

Mariner might be getting some of the same snipets I am.

Almost word for word - and date for date.  

mariner
aeternum nauta

point2point

Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:05 pm

I believe the Q400 will fly to mountain destinations.

So, all of this makes sense to me except why DEN

Okay, let's see here.....

If these rumors pan out as such, it will have seemed that the Lynx plan once envisioned by Sean Menke, for the Qs to fly to/from DEN/mountain destinations for F9, gets sidetracked by the F9 BK filing. Then, BB cuts most of the DEN/mountain destinations Q flying that is envisioned by SM at F9 as RAH takes over the post BK F9.

However, a handful of remaining Qs survive, and Lynx (per se) gets rolled over into the Republic division at RAH (I guess we can look at this in this manner)

Now, SM goes to Pinnacle, files BK there, and the Qs at Pinnacle seem like they are on there way out per SM. But now, UA needs the Qs to fly..... to/from DEN/mountain destinations.... and it will be BB and RAH that will provide the flying of those Qs.

And somehow, in a long, convoluted process..... DEN ends up with the Qs flying to/from mountain destinations.....

Now if the rumors pan out, is this correct?

pilotfox

Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:16 pm

Anyone heard any rumors on F9 being bought my someone last Friday? The rumor says they were bought and it will be announced sometime tomorrow (Friday). Again, all rumors, I guess we shall see tomorrow.

Well so much for the rumor I heard, haha

mcg

Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:01 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 9):
Quoting mariner (Reply 9):
Mariner might be getting some of the same snipets I am.

Almost word for word - and date for date.  

mariner

Don't take this the wrong way, or as anything other than a compliment; you should work for the CIA. You know more than anyone about an obscure little airline 10,000 miles from home. Whatever skills used to gain this knowledge would be instantly transferable to the CIA.

[Edited 2012-04-21 02:40:09]

sunking737

Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:24 am

In case you have not been following SM as of late, He has resigned now from Pinnacle. Happened earlier this week. This has been posted in the Pinnacle Bankruptcy thread. I am not sure why??
Just an MSPAVGEEK

AirframeAS

Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:31 pm

Anyone heard any rumors on F9 being bought my someone last Friday?

I have not heard a dang thing about F9 being bought out by anyone. I have heard about the Q400 story and UA taking over that, by the way.....
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

mariner

Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:41 pm

Quoting mcg (Reply 12):
Don't take this the wrong way, or as anything other than a compliment; you should work for the CIA.

I dont think the CIA would have me - LOL.

PHF is feeling the pinch of the departure of Airtran:

http://www.dailypress.com/news/newpo...rt-losses-20120420,0,6549148.story

"AirTran effect: Newport News airport ridership dives 29 percent in March"

I'd love to see Frontier capitalize on this and add something more at PHF (but not MCO) but it is hard to know what, in view of the supposed coming of People Express.

mariner
aeternum nauta

GentFromAlaska

Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:15 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 15):
I'd love to see Frontier capitalize on this and add something more at PHF (but not MCO) but it is hard to know what, in view of the supposed coming of People Express.

Forward looking, on the heels of a potential COS-DCA slot I've always thought PHF-DCA would be an excellent market, if it is timed to connect with one or two of the DEN-DCA flights but more the COS-DCA slot if (stress "if") F9 wins the award.

PHF-DCA potentially connects SAN with the northern reaches of the Navy's Atlantic Fleet. On the tourism side it connects the family vacation friendly beaches and the Civil War battlefields with the D.C. museums. I understand it involves a inter-perimeter slot which some might tug as a a waste.

I've drove the the route down I-495 to I-64 is potentially can take 3-4 or more driving hours if not planned strategically . Keep in mind IAD although not served by F9; is going to be the new home of a Smithsonian Air & Space museum annex with the Space Shuttles arrival; another tourism draw.

rj777

Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:38 pm

Will this call on Thursday give us an official confirmation on the fate of the E145s at MKE? Or has that been decided already?

AirframeAS

Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:52 am

Quoting rj777 (Reply 17):
Will this call on Thursday give us an official confirmation on the fate of the E145s at MKE? Or has that been decided already?

I thought the 145's and 135's were phased out already.....or is already in the process of being phased out.

sdoyon

Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:04 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 18):
I thought the 145's and 135's were phased out already.....or is already in the process of being phased out.

I think there are still 4 flying as F9 Express

smoot4208

Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:13 am

Quoting rj777 (Reply 17):

The original plan was to have them out by the end of the year. However if operating MKE-OMA/IND/BNA/CMH/PIT makes more money (or loses less) than just parking those 3 airplanes, why not operate those routes?

MKE-RHI will end as soon as ZK is able to start MSP-RHI.

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 18):

The E135s were phased out in early March. Still 3 or 4 E145s though.

sideflare75

Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:14 am

Quoting sdoyon (Reply 19):
I think there are still 4 flying as F9 Express

3 145's left.

smoot4208

Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:22 am

I'm curious as to see if on Thursday they will give any type of indication to what they are going to do with MCI. Will it stay at what it is today? Or will they dehub it completely?

mikefrommke

Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:15 am

Quoting smoot4208 (Reply 22):
I'm curious as to see if on Thursday they will give any type of indication to what they are going to do with MCI. Will it stay at what it is today? Or will they dehub it completely?

I don't think they are serving many connections at MCI now. I think at best you could call it a focus city. In an article last week (can't find it now), Shurz mentioned building more "focus cities" with a handful of flights like COS and OMA. I'm sure MCI and MKE will fit that mold (a handful of O/D routes) and I'd love to see maybe DSM and IND as well.

GentFromAlaska

Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:20 pm

Quoting mikefrommke (Reply 23):
Shurz mentioned building more "focus cities"

If Shurz is shopping for focus cities TYS would be the ideal year-around North-South focus city; geographically, absent from WN, and not a lot of ground traffic which might lead to ground delays. It is a busy corridor overhead though.

GentFromAlaska

Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:25 pm

Quoting smoot4208 (Reply 22):
what they are going to do with MCI. Will it stay at what it is today? Or will they dehub it completely?

Occasionally I take a look at available jobs at F9 to gauge what might be happening around the country. https://www.ultirecruit.com/REP1003B/jobboard/ListJobs.aspx

Of the current forty eight vacancies I saw two vacancies at MCI and a res agent or two at MKE, COS is ramping up as well.

[Edited 2012-04-23 13:08:35]

gustywinds

Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:04 pm

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 24):
If Shurz is shopping for focus cities TYS would be the ideal year-around North-South focus city; geographically, absent from WN, and not a lot of ground traffic which might lead to ground delays. It is a busy corridor overhead though.

Another underserved market absent WN service is GSO. I would like to see F9 add a little service there. Knoxville-Sevierville-La Follette Combined Statistical Area in 2000 had a population of 1,029,155. The Greensboro – Winston-Salem – High Point combined statistical area (CSA), the PiedmontTriad, had a population of 1,599,477.

Of course, if I had my druthers, F9 would expand PHF to a few more key markets. And I'm not sure why F9 hasn't built up IND.

ATWZW170

Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:17 pm

As much as I want to see Frontier look outside it's CO roots I just don't think it is going to happen. The MCO routes were developed by other airlines and clearly there is a market. I know folks have asked for PHF-LGA but didn't FL run some connections through PHF? Is there a large enough local market for LGA?

Personally I would like to see Frontier add a few more OMA routes (LGA, SEA), a few from IND (RSW, SFO) and a few from SDF or TYS - Frontier has to get out and generate buzz so people know who they are and drive traffic to their website.

Maybe we will get an idea of what is happening on Thursday. Anyone else notice how early the results are coming out? Normally RAH/F9 are the last to report.
Success is getting what you want...happiness is liking what you get

GentFromAlaska

Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:32 pm

Quoting ATWZW170 (Reply 27):
a few from IND
Quoting ATWZW170 (Reply 27):
and a few from SDF

It seems to me it would have to one or the other IND is sixty or so miles from SDF. SDF scares me in that it is a major sorting facility for UPS; just as MEM is for FedEx . I realize F9 did or possibly still flies to SDF thus it may be a non-issue for the route planners Once we visited one of Bushe Gardens theme park there I remember seeing a lot of UPS traffic throughout the day from my hotel.

If memory serves me the U.S. Postal Service also has significant ops at SDF as a regional sorting facility.

ATWZW170

Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:47 pm

SDF is only about an hour and a half drive but because IND tends to have lower fares folks drive north. If Frontier were to start IND/SDF - MCO (only an example) perhaps that would generate more traffic due to the low fares. MCO is going to be an interesting city - it's either going to be wildly successful or a total mess!
Success is getting what you want...happiness is liking what you get

GentFromAlaska

Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:52 pm

While its on my mind; we've talked about advertising or the limited/lack thereof outside of Colorado. As outside the box strategy goes F9 might consider billboard signage advertising their brand near the 10-15 larger military bases around the country even if those locations are 60-75 miles from a airport F9 serves. SAT, FAY (Fayettville, NC.) STL, CKV would be a few others.

I spent a few years near Fort Campbell, KY near CKV on the Tennessee-Kentucky state line; 55 or so miles from BNA. The Fort is currently the third largest Army installation and the tenth largest across DOD with some 30,000 active duty forces, many with families. As forces begin to draw down and return home' many of those with disposable income are opting for the beaches and theme parks. As a niche advertising market F9 might also want to enter agreements with military MWR programs.

AirframeAS

Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:03 pm

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 30):
While its on my mind; we've talked about advertising or the limited/lack thereof outside of Colorado. As outside the box strategy goes F9 might consider billboard signage advertising their brand near the 10-15 larger military bases around the country even if those locations are 60-75 miles from a airport F9 serves.

Why they do not advertise in the SEA area boggles my mind. Washington State has a major military presence: JBLM, Bangor Trident Subbase, Everett Naval Port, Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, and some military bases in Eastern Washington (GEG). I realize it is AS territory, but it does not hurt to advertise there. The flight loads are already packed to the gills anyway.....

747fan

Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:41 pm

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 28):
It seems to me it would have to one or the other IND is sixty or so miles from SDF. SDF scares me in that it is a major sorting facility for UPS; just as MEM is for FedEx . I realize F9 did or possibly still flies to SDF

We get a daily 319 to DEN on F9. The company I work for has the ground handling contract for that flight and it is usually packed. Based on what F9's DCA slot proposal stated, supposedly F9 wants to serve DCA from SDF. But I don't think that would make much sense with US already on the route. Something like MCO would be better (but WN already serves that).
Just a minor correction but IND is more like 110 miles from SDF.

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 28):
I realize F9 did or possibly still flies to SDF thus it may be a non-issue for the route planners

It would be a non-issue. UPS does have traffic throughout the day but it isn't really that busy except for overnight.

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 24):

Probably not enough O/D traffic to justify it. I've thought that IND wouldn't be a bad choice (nice new terminal with plenty of space), but F9 seems to be moving away from focus cities like that with their route structure.

mcg

Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:56 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 31):
The flight loads are already packed to the gills anyway.....

Which might be why there is not a lot of advertising.

GentFromAlaska

Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:57 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 31):
Why they do not advertise in the SEA area boggles my mind. Washington State has a major military presence: J

I left a few of the big ones off my short list thinking they did. Near SAN and and anywhere between Belingham and Tacoma on or near I-5 I would also think in the Tidewater area of Virginia and in Great Lakes region. The Beltway on I-495 around D.C. should also be a no-brainer.

I'm curious if any signage has gone up on I-25 between DEN and COS promoting the new COS service.

CarsAir04

Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:30 pm

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 34):
I'm curious if any signage has gone up on I-25 between DEN and COS promoting the new COS service.

Soon is what I hear. Probably within the next week or two. There are billboards up in the YVR and BLI area right now. Advertising is expensive to do and with the F9 focus on the Colorado area, it just doesn't make sense to advertise in areas where you only have a few flights, especially when you don't have deep pockets. You have to look at what kind of return you are going to get for your buck. More people are apt to click on an online banner than they are to remember the words on a billboard.

to clarify, billboards more down in the COS area and not on I-25 between.

[Edited 2012-04-25 07:08:05]

bjorn14

Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:03 pm

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 34):

There won't be too much signage on this route as Colorado really limits billboards.

AirframeAS

Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:43 pm

Now that the Animal Audition is over, and that Polly won (no real surprise here....), what aircraft do you guys think Polly will be on? 219FR (A320) or 954FR (A319)?

GentFromAlaska

Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:44 pm

Quoting CarsAir04 (Reply 35):
More people are apt to click on an online banner than they are to remember the words on a billboard.

I can only speak for myself. As one who has crisscrossed this country both East-West and North-South including some Province driving in Canada including the Yukon Territory British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan no less than eight times.

I may be the odd ball but It is the billboards that draw my attention. Thereafter I turn to the internet if something sparks my interest.Billboard signage has to cost less than television time and is otherwise available for 24/7 for the driving public to see.

I believe signage could be strategically placed in lower cost regions. Although I'm a bit bias I've often thought near Nashville where three major interstate systems intersect I-65, I-40 and I-24 would give F9 its best bang for a buck. I-40 of course runs from Asheville, NC to California, I-65 from Mobile, AL to Michigan and I-24 from Chattanooga to Southeast Illinois. It is these type of junctions F9 needs to seek out.

CarsAir04

Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:27 pm

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 38):
I may be the odd ball but It is the billboards that draw my attention.

Yes, everyone is different and Billboards are cheaper than TV. It does come down to money though for Frontier. Its tough to bring the brand into a new or old market when they don't know the advertising style, or use of the animals. Its just another airline unless you see the commercials.

rampart

Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:44 am

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 38):
I may be the odd ball but It is the billboards that draw my attention. Thereafter I turn to the internet if something sparks my interest.Billboard signage has to cost less than television time and is otherwise available for 24/7 for the driving public to see.

I remember seeing a billboard on the way out of El Paso County, somewhere near Monument, heading north on I-25 to Denver, COS airport bought a billboard that was one of the more effective I've ever seen: "You could be flying by now". I think I'm paraphrasing, but that was the message. I can't recall how long ago that was. It might have been shortly after the demise of WestPac, or maybe more recently.

True, billboards are limited in Colorado.

-Rampart

mikefrommke

Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:58 am

Q1 Results:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/rep...-2012-financial-results-2012-04-25

$22 million operating income, net loss of $7.1 million. F9 (not including RJET) TRASM up 7.5% to $11.41, CASM down 5.1% to $7.68.

n7371f

Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:30 am

Quoting mikefrommke (Reply 41):
Q1 Results:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/rep...-2012-financial-results-2012-04-25

$22 million operating income, net loss of $7.1 million. F9 (not including RJET) TRASM up 7.5% to $11.41, CASM down 5.1% to $7.68.

For the holding company...

For Frontier...

$21.6 million pre-tax LOSS

slcdeltarumd11

Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:09 am

from the oag thread

Quoting enilria (Thread starter):
*DL COS-MSP AUG 1.0>0.4 SEP 1.0>0 OCT 1.0>0 NOV 1.0>0 DEC 1.0>0

I know its the east direction that COS has tons of service too already but Delta finally put the axe down on COS-MSP it looks like. Still not bad news for frontier as they want to become more peoples primary COS carrier and offer lots of connections east via denver. One less flight to worry about and so far delta hasnt done anything to compensate for that cut. I really hope frontier can make the COS focus city work summer bookings look good but its a pretty easy time to sell seats. I still have my fingers crossed for the long shot that COS gets DCA and SAN service in one punch!  

rampart

Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:36 am

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 43):
I know its the east direction that COS has tons of service too already but Delta finally put the axe down on COS-MSP it looks like. Still not bad news for frontier as they want to become more peoples primary COS carrier and offer lots of connections east via denver. One less flight to worry about and so far delta hasnt done anything to compensate for that cut. I really hope frontier can make the COS focus city work summer bookings look good but its a pretty easy time to sell seats.

Sad to see that one go. That was probably the best connection east, least out of the way without having to mess with ORD (or DEN). Been around a long time, from NW original service in the early 90s. It's a loss for COS to one of DL's main hubs, and F9 isn't replacing it, yet.

bjorn14

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:56 am

Quoting rampart (Reply 44):
F9 isn't replacing it, yet.

I don't see F9 replacing it anytime soon unless they build up COS as a major focus city. You can pretty much fly non-stop from MSP to anywhere that F9 goes. Probably not too much O&D on the route.

mikefrommke

Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:20 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 45):
I don't see F9 replacing it anytime soon unless they build up COS as a major focus city. You can pretty much fly non-stop from MSP to anywhere that F9 goes. Probably not too much O&D on the route.

Especially after what happened after they added MCI-MSP!

azstar

Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:47 pm

Quoting n7371f (Reply 42):
For Frontier...

$21.6 million pre-tax LOSS

Not surprised. This airline is headed for the scrap heap, thanks to Republics poor yield management and route strategy ( if they even have one). Latest plan, for the moment, is to pick up loser routes that other airlines discontinued.. even airlines that had strong hub connections at one end. Calling BOI and TUS "seasonal", even though they're not seasonal markets in any way, just adds to their incompetence. BOI ended up getting the permanent axe, and TUS will too.

MKE speaks for itself. Although the community didn't support F9 in any way, F9's poor decisions certainly contributed to their monumental failure there.

[Edited 2012-04-26 06:49:41]

mikefrommke

Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:55 pm

Quoting azstar (Reply 47):
MKE speaks for itself. Although the community didn't support F9 in any way, F9's poor decisions certainly contributed to their monumental failure there.

Which is why they have drawn down MKE significantly. The $21.6 million loss this quarter isn't amazing but its a heck of a lot better than the $40 million Q1 loss they had last year Q1.

ScottB

Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:34 pm

Quoting mikefrommke (Reply 41):
Q1 Results:

Keep in mind that the segment results will not be comparable to the segment results for prior periods until the company releases more detailed restatements of the segment results for those prior periods. Republic is now reclassifying all of the non-Airbus branded flying to be part of Republic, rather than Frontier. As an example of how that changes the numbers, the original 2011Q1 operating revenue for fixed-fee and other (all non-branded) was reported to be $263.7 million. In the earnings release for 2012Q1, that operating revenue (for 2011Q1) has been restated to $371.9 million. And similarly, the Frontier segment revenue declined by $108 million from the previously-stated figure.

Doing some quick math comparing the original branded pre-tax loss for 2011Q1 of $55.2 million to the restated loss of $39.0 million, it looks like the sub-100-seat flying lost about $16 million in Q1 of last year; at a -14.8% pre-tax margin, that was slightly worse than the Airbus pre-tax margin of -13.6%.

Based on quarterly results for prior periods, the fixed-fee business without the pro-rate Frontier flying should make $15-20 million pre-tax per quarter. This quarter, it made $11 million pre-tax, so it looks like Republic ate a million or two a month in losses to make the Frontier subsidiary look better, presumably for a spin-off/sale.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos