questions
Topic Author

Are US Carriers Wasteful With Inflight Bev Svc?

Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:41 am

US carriers pour inflight beverages from cans, LOTS of cans. Carriers outside of the US pour soft drinks, juices, and water from larger containers.

Are US carriers wasteful? Should US carriers adopt this practice?

Mir

RE: Are US Carriers Wasteful With Inflight Bev Svc?

Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:06 am

It's only wasteful if they're not charging enough to cover whatever extra costs are involved.

Since it's very easy to get dehydrated in the dry air of an airplane, I've got no problem with them handing out full cans. I only wish they'd do it with orange juice as well - normally they pour that out of a carton.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

silentbob

Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:07 am

The waste problem is the lack of recycling programs.

HPRamper

Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:09 am

As far as I know most if not all of the U.S. domestic carriers recycle their aluminum cans.

Spacepope

Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:11 am

Quoting questions (Thread starter):

US carriers pour inflight beverages from cans, LOTS of cans. Carriers outside of the US pour soft drinks, juices, and water from larger containers.

Cans are very easy and economical to recycle. Aluminum is also a commodity these days (at $.55 per pound) so you can bet some beancounter has taken the scrap price into account.

These cans aboard aircraft never hit the landfill.
The last of the famous international playboys

mayor

Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:28 am

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 3):
As far as I know most if not all of the U.S. domestic carriers recycle their aluminum cans.

DL has had a can recycling program for quite awhile. In SLC, the cans were sold to Reynolds Aluminum and the money went to the local employees fund.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

kpitrrat

Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:30 am

Quoting Spacepope (Reply 4):
These cans aboard aircraft never hit the landfill.

Ah, I wish I could say that was true, however, I have seen otherwise. In addition, wouldn't the Int'l cans be sent to the incinerator with the rest of the trash?

Asiaflyer

Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:46 am

Quoting Spacepope (Reply 4):
Cans are very easy and economical to recycle. Aluminum is also a commodity these days (at $.55 per pound) so you can bet some beancounter has taken the scrap price into account.

Aluminum takes a lot of energy to produce. On top of that, all the transportation for the recycling, as well as energy used to melt it down to make new aluminum cans consumes a lot of energy. Drinks out of cartons are much better for the environment.

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):
Since it's very easy to get dehydrated in the dry air of an airplane, I've got no problem with them handing out full cans. I only wish they'd do it with orange juice as well - normally they pour that out of a carton.

Ask for a one more glass of juice if you are thirsty.  
SQ,MI,MH,CX,KA,CA,CZ,MU,KE,OZ,QF,NZ,FD,JQ,3K,5J,IT,AI,IC,QR,SK,LF,KL,AF,LH,LX,OS,SR,BA,SN,FR,WF,1I,5T,VZ,VX,AC,NW,UA,US,

aklrno

Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:53 am

Even if you don't put the can into a recycling bin, most major cities sort the main waste stream anyway. Ferrous metals are sucked out with a magnet. Non-ferrous (such as AL) are sucked out with an eddy current and electric or magnetic field. AL will even survive an incinerator.

Plastics are not valuable enough to be as certain of recycling from the waste stream. An attempt is made, but not always successful. Plastic in an incinerator makes a nice fuel.

I think it would be difficult to pick a winner from either an economic or resource point of view.

Another issue is the cost of providing good service to the customer. Most people could last perfectly well for an hour of two with no drink at all. As a customer, I prefer to get a can I can drink at my leisure instead of hoping an FA can make it back to my seat in economy for a refill. The additional cost of making me hate the airline just slightly less may be worth it.

The one airline that almost never gives me the whole can is WN because the way they serve drinks makes that difficult, but they are usually so fast that I can get a refill if I want it.

Pointless aside: last Thanksgiving day I handed out small boxes of candy to the crew (WN). I got so many refills I nearly drowned on a 1 hour flight.

kfitz

RE: United May Be Paying For Leaving Houston - Fortune

Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:07 am

It is SOP at Continental Airlines to withhold the full can from customers, a distinction they share only with Southwest in the US. An apparent pennywise move that has yet to be streamlined in their merger.

[Edited 2012-04-22 23:08:20]

RyanairGuru

Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:24 am

Umm, out of interest when was the last time you were on a plane in Australia?

The situation is exactly the same here: soft drinks are in cans. It's a bit unfair to single the Americans out over this...
Worked Hard, Flew Right

joffie

Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:29 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 12):

In the US, I believe soft drinks are free to the passengers, despite the airline being a LCC or not. In Australia, the only airline to offer free soft drink is Qantas, and you only get a mini can.

Virgin, Tiger and Jetstar make you pay up to $2.50-$3.00 for a can. I would be dissapointed if I had to pay, and they just poured some out for me from a container.

RyanairGuru

Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:43 am

Quoting joffie (Reply 13):
Qantas, and you only get a mini can.

Fair enough. I was thinking QF specifically with that comment but I had forgotten that they were smaller than normal cans.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

AirframeAS

Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:46 am

Are US Carriers Wasteful With Inflight Bev Svc?

Before I respond to this thread, I have to ask the OP: How is it wasteful?

And your entire post was not very specific nor informative either.....   
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

gigneil

Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:59 am

Quoting kfitz (Reply 11):
It is SOP at Continental Airlines to withhold the full can from customers, a distinction they share only with Southwest in the US. An apparent pennywise move that has yet to be streamlined in their merger.

There is no such thing as Continental Airlines.

At United they have been doing this on all flights for a year. Of course, the sUA flight attendants rebelled at this as well as recycling the cans, since its "more work". So the good ones do it, and the douches do not.

NS

nighthawk

Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:34 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 10):
Umm, out of interest when was the last time you were on a plane in Australia?

.. or europe? Every airline i've flown always uses cans. I have yet to see an airline dispense soft drinks from a bottle.

[Edited 2012-04-23 05:35:25]

TomFoolery

Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:50 pm

Quoting Asiaflyer (Reply 7):
Drinks out of cartons are much better for the environment.

Paper containers do not work for carbonated drinks.

There are many carriers worldwide who serve drinks in cans. Some are mini 6 oz. cans, some are 12 oz cans (mostly in the US). Some elect to serve half of the cans over ice (6 oz + ice = 8 oz cup serving). This way one can can provide 2 servings. Others offer the full can, which has the advantage of ease and speed of cabin service, and a reduced likelyhood of refills, and a generally more contented customer. Air France, for example, uses mini cans on some (but not all) of their flights.

The Europeans have refillable bottles (.75 liter, 1 liter, and in some cases, 1.5 liter). This is all well when the destination and the origin use the same system. This would not work on routes to the US. Other carriers use non refillable plastic bottles, which gets the same treatment as the cans. The question is where do both of these go, once they are tossed in the bag? We the passenger do not see this, and can either ask someone in the know, or speculate.

At the end of the day, it is WEIGHT, and the cost of transporting weight that determines the media of the container. What weighs more: 1 x12 ounce can, 2 x 6 oz mini can, 1 x 1 liter bottle, etc.? Take the top 2 items, and cost compare them for initial price, and finally, how much does it cost to deliver to the passenger. Before we say that it only takes a few more seconds to pour a drink from a bottle, vs hand a can and a cup to a passenger, it is important to remember that one's day is often full of tasks of similiar duration..
Paper makes an airplane fly

mark2fly1034

Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:27 pm

DL does not give the full can unless you ask for but I have never had a problem getting the full can on any flight that I have wanted it. Also DL does recycle the plastic cups, usually when you hand your trash in the FA has a hand full of plastic cups in one hand.

kgaiflyer

Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:45 pm

Carriers outside of the US pour soft drinks, juices, and water from larger containers.

Last time I flew AF CDG-LHR, they were using little single-serving cans -- easily stored and easily recycled.

kgaiflyer

Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:52 pm

Aluminum takes a lot of energy to produce. On top of that, all the transportation for the recycling, as well as energy used to melt it down to make new aluminum cans consumes a lot of energy. Drinks out of cartons are much better for the environment.

That's a completely different (and unlinked) equation since a number of aluminum smelters are located adjacent to hydroelectric power.

kgaiflyer

Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:00 pm

Quoting kfitz (Reply 9):
a distinction they share only with Southwest in the US.

And OO and EV and RP and CP and QK .

crj200faguy

Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:07 pm

They should just eliminate the beverage service on flights less than 2 hours.

totesen

Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:12 pm

Quoting crj200faguy (Reply 21):

i hope you are joking
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/totesen

jumpjets

Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:20 pm

Quoting nighthawk (Reply 15):
or europe? Every airline i've flown always uses cans. I have yet to see an airline dispense soft drinks from a bottle.

Fruit juice and water tend to come from large cartons or plastic bottles when its free - fizzy drinks from cans. And if you are on LCC buying fizzy drinks beware that one carrier did [and may still do] try and charge as much for a 150ml can as you would pay for a 1.5L bottle in a supermarket. Even the steward agreed with me that it was a rip off when I refused it.

UALWN

Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:29 pm

I have yet to see an airline dispense soft drinks from a bottle.

Then I guess you haven't flown LH much... I dread their Coke poured from a 2 liter (or is it 1.5?) warm plastic bottle onto a cup containing a single ice cube...
AT7/111/146/Avro/CRJ/CR9/EMB/ERJ/E75/F50/100/L15/DC9/D10/M8X/717/727/737/747/757/767/777/787/AB6/310/32X/330/340/380

boeingfever777

Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:40 pm

While Delta and Virgin America topped the list, each received a score of only B-, followed by Virgin Atlantic and Southwest, which each scored Cs. Continental, JetBlue, American Airlines and British Airways each received Ds. United and US Airways flunked with Fs.

http://www.greenamerica.org/programs...ndustry/AirlineRecyclingReport.cfm
www.greenamerica.org/PDF/AirlineRecyclingReport.pdf
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

DiamondFlyer

Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:42 pm

Quoting UALWN (Reply 24):
Then I guess you haven't flown LH much... I dread their Coke poured from a 2 liter (or is it 1.5?) warm plastic bottle onto a cup containing a single ice cube...

What a joke. Why would they even waste their time then?

Quoting crj200faguy (Reply 21):

I'll go for that, they day TSA allows us to carry thru our own beverages and not be stuck purchasing stuff inside the sterile area at outrageous prices.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

BC77008

Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:42 pm

Everyone on my flight gets a full can. I'm just not organized enough to put half full cans back where they belong so it's actually less work for me. Plus the passengers seem so thrilled at getting a full can so if that small gesture brightens their day just a little bit then it's worth it to me.
"He waited his whole damn life to take that flight. And as the plane crashed down he thought 'Well isn't this nice...'"

b6a322

Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:43 pm

I think its worth noting that the airlines predominantly use larger plastic bottles for soda and cartons for juices etc. on long haul flights, which might make sense.

Not talking about US airlines specifically, but Definitely LH, AB, AF longhaul to name three offhand.
The content I post are my own thoughts, nothing more. :)

ckfred

Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:59 pm

In the U.S. carbonated beverages aren't offered in cartons. The common containers are 12 oz cans, 20 oz plastic bottles, 2 Liter plastic bottles, or as syrup to mix with carbonated water. Now, I've see 8 oz cans, 1 Liter plastic bottles, 3 Liter plastic bottles, and other sizes of cans and plastic bottles. But, I've never seen Coke or Pepsi products in cartons. The exception is Minute Maid orange juice, which is a Coke product.

If you go to a U.S. grocery store, about the only product that comes in cartons is orange juice and other juices. Milk generally comes in plastic bottles of varying sizes. Milk cartons (gnerally 8 oz) are for food service uses (restaurants, school cafeterias, etc.

So, it would probably be very difficult for a U.S. carrier to go to all cartons for beverage service. And frankly, there is mixed views about cartons. Some people feel that the less that goes into landfills, even if biodegradable, the better. Cartons aren't as easy to recycle as glass bottles, metal cans (aluminum or steel), or plastic containers.

vanguard737

Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:46 pm

Being an American, I do not waste my beverage service when flying Lufthansa in order to drink 6oz. of warm Coke. I go straight for the free beer, free wine, free cognac, and free Bailey's, which would cost me the price of my ticket on a US carrier.

I chuckled on my first FRA-LHR evening flight when I asked for a beer and the flight attendant handed me a .5L glass bottle!
320 717 722 732 733 735 737 738 744 752 753 763 772 DC9 DC10 MD80 B1900 S340 E120 ERJ CRJ CR7

b727fa

Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:48 pm

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 20):
And OO and EV and RP and CP and QK .

That's only because they're following the guidelines of the major carrier for which they're flying.

At DL we recycle the plastic, paper, cans, bottles...hand it in! It goes in the clear bag with green pull strings. "Trash" goes in the grey bags.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

eurowings

Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:52 pm

or europe? Every airline i've flown always uses cans. I have yet to see an airline dispense soft drinks from a bottle
Quoting vanguard737 (Reply 30):

The last time I flew AB and LH short-haul they were definitely dispensing soft drinks from bottles. I think the reason for this may legitimately be cost as soft drinks in cans are quite expensive and less commonly seen in Germany due to the recycling deposit arrangement. This differs from the situation in other countries (including elsewhere in Europe).

[Edited 2012-04-23 08:54:02]
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

mayor

Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:54 pm

Quoting ckfred (Reply 29):
Cartons aren't as easy to recycle as glass bottles, metal cans (aluminum or steel), or plastic containers.

I doubt that the cartons that are used for juice and milk products could be recycled, anyway, considering the waxy coating on the cardboard used to make the cartons. Not sure if they would be biodegradable, either.

DL used to use the mini cans, specifically on international flights but I don't know if they still do.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

kngkyle
Crew

Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:10 pm

I've also noticed on my last DL flight that they are now saving the plastic cups as well. I think it's a relatively new policy because I hadn't noticed it a year ago. Good policy though, was glad to see it.

Continental

Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:55 pm

Honestly, I feel the beverage service is unnecessary. For a 1 hour flight, can't you just wait until you land to get something to drink? Or better yet, bring something on board? I wonder how much $$ airlines would save if they didn't offer drinks on flights less than 3 hrs.

DiamondFlyer

Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:04 pm

Quoting Continental (Reply 35):
Honestly, I feel the beverage service is unnecessary. For a 1 hour flight, can't you just wait until you land to get something to drink? Or better yet, bring something on board? I wonder how much $$ airlines would save if they didn't offer drinks on flights less than 3 hrs.

Again, I'm all for it, once TSA gets rid of the silly you can't bring liquids into the sterile area. The shops in the terminal have such an outrageous price on drinks.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

coachclass

Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:17 pm

Quoting gigneil (Reply 14):
At United they have been doing this on all flights for a year. Of course, the sUA flight attendants rebelled at this as well as recycling the cans, since its "more work". So the good ones do it, and the douches do not.

How do you know all FA don't do it? What do the bad ones do, throw the cans out the window?

LOWS

Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:23 pm

Quoting DiamondFlyer (Reply 26):
What a joke. Why would they even waste their time then?

Because most people here drink Coke warm and in moderation. Not everyone can down a 24oz coke on a flight from FRA to VIE. A standard serving of Coke is 250ml (=8,45oz)  

roseflyer

Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:53 pm

Quoting Continental (Reply 35):

I know it was looked at being cut from flights under 500 miles, but it came down to passengers wanting beverage service. If the flight is long enough to do it, they get the service. When you can't bring liquids through security, it makes it more realistic to provide a beverage service on board. Passengers don't seem to notice the lack of pretzels, but they do notice the lack of a service.

US tried to charge for beverages but that was not handled well by the public.

Few airports in the United States have required vendors to sell water at cost or provide water bottle refill stations. I know one airline that was lobbying its airports to provide water bottle stations, but I haven't seen anything come from it.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

gigneil

Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:57 pm

Quoting CoachClass (Reply 37):
How do you know all FA don't do it? What do the bad ones do, throw the cans out the window?

No, they walk through the cabin with one bag as opposed to two.

NS

Viscount724

Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:17 pm

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 18):
Carriers outside of the US pour soft drinks, juices, and water from larger containers.

Last time I flew AF CDG-LHR, they were using little single-serving cans -- easily stored and easily recycled.

KL has been using the small cans, at least on intra-Europe flights, as long as I can remember. Their beverage selection in Y class is very limited - Coke, Diet Coke, orange juice, apple juice, beer (Heineken, also in smaller than standard cans but about 50% larger than the Coke and juice cans), red and white wine (in the usual small glass bottles) plus coffee and tea. The only thing served from large plastic bottles is water. At least it's all free.

On very short KL Cityhopper routes like AMS-BRU and AMS-DUS where you're only in the air for about 20 minutes, beverage service is limited to small plastic cups of orange juice with a peel-off lid.

falstaff

Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:55 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 5):
DL has had a can recycling program for quite awhile

What about cans loaded at DTW? I assume they have to pay the 10 cent deposit, just as I did when I had a commercial account for my pop machines. Does somebody pull the cans from the recycle bag and return them to the distributor?

warm plastic bottle onto a cup containing a single ice cube...
Quoting ckfred (Reply 29):
Milk generally comes in plastic bottles of varying sizes. Milk cartons (gnerally 8 oz) are for food service uses (restaurants, school cafeterias, etc.

Milk comes in cartons in the 1/2 gallon size. I have one in my refrigerator right now.

Quoting mayor (Reply 33):
I doubt that the cartons that are used for juice and milk products could be recycled, anyway, considering the waxy coating on the cardboard used to make the cartons. Not sure if they would be biodegradable, either

I toss them in my recycle container and nobody has said anything. My parents do the same at their house and nobody said otherwise to them.

Quoting LOWS (Reply 38):
Because most people here drink Coke warm

Yuck! I always have them fill the glass with ice, when I am in Germany, and I always get funny looks from the server. I really get a funny look when I ask for water from the sink. They always serve it, but look at me funny. My German friends make fun of me when I drink water from the sink and put ice in my pop. They also keep a large coffee mug for when I visit, so I can have my American sized coffee.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

roseflyer

Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:20 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 42):
What about cans loaded at DTW? I assume they have to pay the 10 cent deposit, just as I did when I had a commercial account for my pop machines. Does somebody pull the cans from the recycle bag and return them to the distributor?

Airlines do not pay the deposits on cans because the beverages are intended for consumption on their premises. It is the same for the airlines as it is for restaurants. They don't have to pay the deposit in the first place.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

crj200faguy

Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:27 pm

Quoting DiamondFlyer (Reply 36):
Again, I'm all for it, once TSA gets rid of the silly you can't bring liquids into the sterile area. The shops in the terminal have such an outrageous price on drinks.

-DiamondFlyer

Are you one of those "I have to take a pill. Can I have a bottle of water from first class?" kind of people?

777ord

Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:56 pm

United only gives you the can IF you request it. But, serves all juices/water from larger containers. Do note, United does have a very good recycling program.

Compared to other airlines, I wish they'd increase the size of the cup, and just fill that up. that 4oz or whatever cup does nothing at fl350...

softrally

Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:06 pm

I never got a full can on KE- they only gave me a cup out of the can (250ml or 12oz depending on flight origin). They seem to use cartons for juice.
Flown on: 738, 744, 762/763, 772, 77W, 788, A306, A318/319/320/321, A332/333, E145, E190, CRJ700

DiamondFlyer

Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:12 pm

Quoting crj200faguy (Reply 44):
Are you one of those "I have to take a pill. Can I have a bottle of water from first class?" kind of people?

Not at all. I'm just saying that if you get rid of beverages on flights, vendor's aren't stupid. They know they have the market cornered, and will jack their already astronomical drink prices up even more. Drop the TSA liquids ban, which is silly, IMO, and those astronomical prices will come down due to lack of demand.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

falstaff

Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:18 pm

Quoting Roseflyer (Reply 43):
Airlines do not pay the deposits on cans because the beverages are intended for consumption on their premises

Bars in Michigan keep their beer/pop cans and bottles for return to the distributors for return credit. When I owned pop machines I paid a deposit on each of the cans/bottles I purchased from the wholesaler. Any business buying from the wholesaler has to pay the deposit upfront. I ate that deposit becuase I didn't get the containers back, but made money back on my price. The Michigan bottle deposit law is a lot different than in other states.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

UALWN

Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:30 pm

Quoting LOWS (Reply 38):
Because most people here drink Coke warm

Which I would call an abomination.
AT7/111/146/Avro/CRJ/CR9/EMB/ERJ/E75/F50/100/L15/DC9/D10/M8X/717/727/737/747/757/767/777/787/AB6/310/32X/330/340/380