SXDFC
Topic Author

New Virgin Atlantic/Australia Font Name?

Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Hello All:

I have been searching around for a while, and can't seem to find the name nor the download for the new Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Australia font. If anyone can provide the name or both, it would be greatly appreciated.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Julian Lau

I am referring to the titles that are on the fuselage and not on the tail.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

qf002

RE: New Virgin Atlantic/Australia Font Name?

Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:53 pm

It's a customised font, so you won't find it anywhere online.

There was a recreation floating around somewhere that I saw, can't find it now so it's probably been pulled for copyright reasons...

jonnyclark

Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:40 pm

Indeed. They spent a lot of money on it, you could ask Start creative, the UK based agency as they were the ones that created it. I'm pretty sure it was a UK typographer that created it. There isn't really anything close to it out there i'm afraid.
Jonny, commercial pilot & founder of Thedesignair

nonimaus

Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:09 pm

If you were after something similar quickly, and without any additional cost, Century Gothic (installed on most Windows PCs) bears a heavy similarity, although the lowercase 'a' is wrong.

DIN Schriften Std Neuzeit Grotesk Light will bring you even closer; the lowercase 'a' matches up much better, but what sets it apart slightly are the tails on the lowercase 'T' and 'L'.

http://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/stor...vent=displayFont&code=DINQ10003000

If it really is a completly 'custom' job for Virgin Australia and there's no chance of getting a copy of the file, your best bet is to go with DIN Schriften and just modify the tails on the offending letters in photoshop or illustrator or whatever you're using. It's much less work masking/chopping off the tails of 'T' and 'L' rather than trying to shoehorn the upper tail onto the 'a' in Century Gothic.

aussiepomm

Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:12 am

I've found that Estrangelo Edessa is also a very close match as well... Again, this is pretty much a standard font within the MS Office package!
if my calculations are correct slinky + escalator = everlasting fun!

Kleiner

Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:12 am

The font isn't custom. It's widely been announced it's Gotham.

strfyr51

Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:12 pm

Virdana is the fon!.