catiii
Topic Author

Delta LGA Expansion Question

Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:46 am

Taxiing in to LGA tonight we had to wait for our gate to open up, and my side of the airplane was looking at the terminal and I was watching the newly expanded operation at terminals C and D. One question I had was whether Delta, with the additional gates that Delta assumed from USAir as part of the slot swap deal, also took USAir gate and ramp agents to staff those additional gates or if they hired externally. I would imagine there had to be a need to additional staff, no?

BDL757

RE: Delta LGA Expansion Question

Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:02 am

DL didn't take any US staff in the slot swap. DL has had a lot of agents transfer from all over the country into LGA. They have also hired off the street with a few of those new hires being people who left US and came to DL.

rwy04lga

Sat May 05, 2012 8:01 pm

Quoting BDL757 (Reply 1):
They have also hired off the street with a few of those new hires being people who left US and came to DL.

I was not aware of any former US staff hired by DL.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

FlyASAGuy2005

Sat May 05, 2012 9:52 pm

Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 2):

You wouldn't know unless you asked  

Indeed, when DL posted above and below wing positions on DL.com for both LGA and JFK, quite a few US Air people applied and got on because they knew they would be out of a job or TRY to transfer to another US city. I personally know of a guy that had 2 years with US @ LGA that wouldnt have had enough seniority to be a part of the ones "left" so he applied and got on. However, preference was given to base transfers which is where most of the staffing came from
What gets measured gets done.

rwy04lga

Sat May 05, 2012 11:01 pm

Oh, I've asked! A few years ago, US interviewed me 2 weeks before DL did and offered me a job...I held out for DL and I'm glad I did!
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

LGA777

Sun May 06, 2012 2:01 am

Not all but most of the former US people that have gone or are going to Delta at LGA where actually Piedmont/US Express employees as very very few Mainline US employees in Customer Service and none in Fleet Service where affected, whereas the Entire US Express operation ceases to exist on July 11.

Also a fairly significant number of Express employees chose to stay with Piedmont and have or will be transferring to PHL/DCA and especially CLT.

A lot of Really good people have and still work for Piedmont/US Express in LGA so I am glad many either have or will be transferring with in there company or starting over with Delta as apposed to leaving the industry many of us Love.

Cheers

LGA777

BDL757

Sun May 06, 2012 5:59 am

Yes, a few people realized that they were unfortunately going to lose their jobs and would not be able to move so they got hired on as Ready Reserves at Delta. They are great and its good to have people who know the building!  

SkyTeamTriStar

Sun May 06, 2012 8:41 pm

Quoting BDL757 (Reply 6):
They are great and its good to have people who know the building!  

Agreed, but are those folks willing to perform at the levels of Delta's expectations?

jfklganyc

Sun May 06, 2012 8:51 pm

"Agreed, but are those folks willing to perform at the levels of Delta's expectations?"

Good customer service exists at every airline...so does bad customer service. Delta is no different then any of the legacies

FlyASAGuy2005

Sun May 06, 2012 11:57 pm

Quoting SkyTeamTriStar (Reply 7):
Agreed, but are those folks willing to perform at the levels of Delta's expectations?

It's very simple. If they're not performing as expected they're be "trained". If not then they'll be shown the door. That's just not for US Air folks but all DL agents.
What gets measured gets done.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon May 07, 2012 2:53 am

USAirways & Express always ran a top-notch operation out of LGA. There is no reason to think that they would not be a good in another US base or at DL. The faults of US at LGA were not due to their airport operations, but in their network ane revenue management.