Just adding to that, Alliance Airlines was officially known as SA Alliance Air.
Here is the full press-release:
SA ALLIANCE AIR SUSPENDS OPERATIONS
Kampala, Uganda: 11 October, 2000:- The management of SA Alliance Air yesterday announced that the Company would suspend operations with
immediate effect pending the outcome of a shareholders' meeting in which the future of the company will be determined.
SA Alliance Air's operations were until March 2000 financed by Transnet Limited. All financial, operational and systems support was provided by South African Airways in terms of a management contract. It's initial
international route structure serving Dar Es Salaam, Entebbe and London twice weekly was always considered inadequate in the long term and led to
the accumulation of losses of approximately US$ 50 million.
An opportunity presented itself in March 2000 for SA Alliance Air to expand its presence in the region and reach some level of critical mass to enable the airline to achieve profitability through the acquisition of additional funding and route rights. This required the successful negotiation of the new Shareholder's Agreement, which was not achieved as Uganda and Tanzania as Shareholders were unable to fulfil their
In the spirit of the commercial agreements between SA Alliance Air and South African Airways, and with the interests of the passengers as a foremost consideration, SAA has put in place channels to alleviate any inconvenience which may be experienced by Alliance Air passengers:
1. Passengers holding tickets on Alliance Air on 11 - 13 October will be accommodated on other flights - either SAA scheduled flights or other carriers. SAA will honour the tickets and will insure that other carriers
will accept the Alliance tickets on an involuntary re-route basis.
2. Passengers travelling on Alliance Air up to and including the end of October 2000, will have the choice to be accommodated on other carriers on the same basis as 1. Above OR may apply for a refund with all cancellation fees waived.
3. Passengers travelling on Alliance Air after the end October 2000 may apply for a refund with the waiver of all cancellation fees.
Passengers affected by these developments may contact SA Alliance Air representatives by calling:
* Kampala - SA Alliance Air on +256-41-34-4011
* Dar Es Salaam - Sunshine Travel on +255-22-211-7044
* Johannesburg - SAA Call Centre on +27-11-978-6699
* London - SAA on +44-20-7312-5000
It should be noted that this decision does not affect the operations of Alliance Air Express Airways, the regional feeder airline to SA Alliance Air. Alliance Air Express will continue to operate from Rwanda as
scheduled for the foreseeable future.
ISSUED ON BEHALF OF SA ALLIANCE AIR