sptv
Topic Author

Will AS re- instate the 6:40pm LAX-YVR flight?

Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:19 pm

Does anyone know if AS will be re-instating its 6:40pm flight LAX-YVR? I travel on that flight almost every Sunday night, and it seems to have been removed from the schedule as of Sun June 3 thru at least the end of July. Summer in BC is big vacation time, and TV production will be resuming on lots of series. Wondering why AS would have reduced their schedule. Planes are always full.

socalatc

RE: Will AS Re- Instate The 6:40pm LAX-YVR Flight?

Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:04 pm

Thy are making room for Virgin America to come swoop
In and take over.

Tomassjc

Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:16 pm

Looks like it's a 9:05pm departure for the summer sked. (9:30am, 2:30pm and 9:05pm LAX-YVR).

Tom AS SJC
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward -Leonardo DaVinci

ASFlyer

Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:47 pm

Quoting sptv (Thread starter):
Does anyone know if AS will be re-instating its 6:40pm flight LAX-YVR? I travel on that flight almost every Sunday night, and it seems to have been removed from the schedule as of Sun June 3 thru at least the end of July. Summer in BC is big vacation time, and TV production will be resuming on lots of series. Wondering why AS would have reduced their schedule. Planes are always full.

Actually, the planes aren't always full and I assume the yields are in the toilet, given that West Jet, Air Canada, United and Alaska are all slugging it out on this route. First Class isn't even a big seller on this flight, despite the movie industry. It's sad, what's become of YVR for AS, but I imagine that it's not a high yielding market or Alaska would still be all over it. It worked at another time in the Alaska's past, when yields weren't as important, but these days it either pays for itself or not and if not it's out. If it's just a marginally decent route then it's probably not gonna stick around for long either.

EA CO AS

Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:25 am

This is a perfect example of where AS needs to call Gregg Saretsky and say, "Hey - how about some codeshares?"
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

sptv
Topic Author

Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:32 am

They are not replacing the 6:40 with a 9:05 flight. There's always been a late flight. They are suspending the 6:40 flight til late August, when they return to 4 flights per day in each direction. I fly this route regularly. Don't know about yields, but the planes are always full. Including F, where I often cannot get a seat on the flights I want because they are sold out.

N1120A

Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:42 am

Quoting socalatc (Reply 1):
Thy are making room for Virgin America to come swoop
In and take over.

I wish Virgin America would swoop back onto the LAX-YYZ route and create downward pressure on fares again.

Quoting ASFlyer (Reply 3):
Actually, the planes aren't always full and I assume the yields are in the toilet, given that West Jet, Air Canada, United and Alaska are all slugging it out on this route.

Given the prices I see, I can't imagine yields are in the toilet.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

EA CO AS

Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:37 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 6):
I wish Virgin America would swoop back onto the LAX-YYZ route and create downward pressure on fares again.

All that did was cause the cash-burning machine that is VX to burn at an even faster rate than usual.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Air77

Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:52 am

Competition is one thing. I wonder how much of a factor BLI has on this? A lot of people especially those outside the immediate Vancouver area have been going south of the line to catch flights to Las Vegas and California. I realize BLI isn't getting the business traffic, but a family of four can save a mit full for the trip to Disneyland.

laca773

Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:47 am

Quoting sptv (Reply 5):
They are not replacing the 6:40 with a 9:05 flight. There's always been a late flight. They are suspending the 6:40 flight til late August, when they return to 4 flights per day in each direction. I fly this route regularly. Don't know about yields, but the planes are always full. Including F, where I often cannot get a seat on the flights I want because they are sold out.

Is AS going to be short an a/c during the summer season, so when they bring back LAX-ANC-LAX, they need the a/c for one of the two flights up to Alaska? Actually, it would seem they would want to add an additional frequency during the Summer season to YVR.

hiflyeras

Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:37 pm

Quoting laca773 (Reply 9):
Is AS going to be short an a/c during the summer season, so when they bring back LAX-ANC-LAX, they need the a/c for one of the two flights up to Alaska? Actually, it would seem they would want to add an additional frequency during the Summer season to YVR.

You see this alot every summer...there's such a massive push from SEA and the lower 48 into the state of Alaska to support the cruise industry. The 10+ a/c needed have to come from somewhere so service is pared back on some routes for 2-3 months. June-August sees SEA-ANC go from 12x daily to 18x, 2x daily n/s LAX-ANC, 1x daily DEN-ANC.

SANFan

Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:45 pm

AS also might be "holding back" an a/c or two pending the outcome of the DCA-case. They could possibly end up with 2 new routes, each requiring a dedicated 738 starting sometime this summer....

bb

laca773

Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:09 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 11):
AS also might be "holding back" an a/c or two pending the outcome of the DCA-case. They could possibly end up with 2 new routes, each requiring a dedicated 738 starting sometime this summer....

This particular flight is flown with a 734 a good portion of the time.