727LOVER
Topic Author

NK To Dying Man: No Refund

Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:54 pm

http://www.tampabay.com/news/article1226081.ece

Jerry Meekins will die soon of esophageal cancer, and he can't fly because of his compromised immune system. But Spirit Airlines considers his condition insufficiently grave to grant him a refund for a flight to Atlantic City next month.

But if he actually dies before his flight, Spirit would be happy to give him some money back.

Today, he picketed the NK counter at TPA:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/dying-m...irlines-over-refund-policy/1226671

Jerry Meekins will spend the last months of his life in a battle with both cancer and Spirit Airlines.

Is $200 worth all this bad publicity????????
I feel woozy....what did you put in that Pudding Pop?

danielmyatt

RE: NK To Dying Man: No Refund

Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:58 pm

I don't want to come across as unreasonably harsh here, but if I had months to live I certainly wouldn't be spending it picketing an airline ticket desk in Florida.
But agreed, Spirit should just refund the poor guy and be done with it.

AWACSooner

Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:59 pm

To them? Yes, any kind of publicity for NK is good publicity to them!

I've come to expect this kind of crap from them...yes, no refunds means that, but jeez.

jr

Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:09 am

I guess they might as well just merge with ryan air and be done with it.
I've flown on 9V-SPK.

BestWestern

Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:20 am

Thats why you buy insurance. How is the airline agent supposed to know if he is dying or not?
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

OB1504

Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:28 am

Quoting danielmyatt (Reply 1):
I don't want to come across as unreasonably harsh here, but if I had months to live I certainly wouldn't be spending it picketing an airline ticket desk in Florida.

Agreed. This seems like a rather questionable use of precious time.

Quoting AWACSooner (Reply 2):

I've come to expect this kind of crap from them...yes, no refunds means that, but jeez.

I'm honestly surprised that the airline didn't make an exception to their refund policy, but I doubt they'll reverse their stance now that corporate has issued an opinion.

That being said, I had a complaint filed against me several months ago, but due to the backlog (partly because of their à-la-carte model), the airline wasn't able to get to it until last week. Despite no longer working for the company, I still received a phone call asking me to explain myself and my actions.

It may not seem like it on the outside, but Spirit generally doesn't play around with customer service standards.

Quoting bestwestern (Reply 4):
Thats why you buy insurance. How is the airline agent supposed to know if he is dying or not?

Medical documentation, the same way the airline would verify that the legitimacy of a service or emotional support animal, for example.

[Edited 2012-04-24 17:51:13]

col

Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:32 am

I would guess his medical records may give them some insight. But these would only be of benefit if someone at Spirit knew how to read them, or cared. By this I mean Management.

stlgph

Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:35 am

Airlines, retailers, etc, what have you are drawing the line somewhere. Far too often a bad eggs spoil it for the rest of us ... "horrible disease" or not ... it's why retailers have such whacked out return policies, especially concerning retail items ... too many people buying big screens the last week of January and returning them in the days right after the Super Bowl.

Basically what it boils down to is rules are rules and so be it.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

OB1504

Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:40 am

Quoting col (Reply 6):
I would guess his medical records may give them some insight. But these would only be of benefit if someone at Spirit knew how to read them, or cared. By this I mean Management.

As an agent, I always had to give a customer with medical documentation the benefit of the doubt. Even if he or she gave us an index paper with "I'M SICK" written on it in crayon, I had to treat it as legitimate precisely because I'm not a medical professional.

nkops

Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:50 am

$197 is not going to hurt NK in any way... just refund the money!!

Thats said, 2 months to live, I would spend it with my family as much as possible... defenitely not picketing a ticket counter
:evil:

ikramerica

Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:07 am

Quoting stlgph (Reply 7):
Airlines, retailers, etc, what have you are drawing the line somewhere. Far too often a bad eggs spoil it for the rest of us ... "horrible disease" or not ... it's why retailers have such whacked out return policies, especially concerning retail items ... too many people buying big screens the last week of January and returning them in the days right after the Super Bowl.

Where are you shopping? Return policies have gotten far more lenient over time. And the bigger the store, the more lenient.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

ua76heavy

Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:23 am

"Under Spirit's current policy, a customer can only get a partial refund if they actually die before their flight."

When my mother passed away, HA made a full refund of her ticket, and sent a nice letter expressing their condolences. The agent who I spoke to was very kind and respectful. All they asked for was a copy of her death certificate.

RWA380

Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:51 am

Used to be a Dr's note could get you a refund, but it seemed that everyone knew a physician who was willing to write them a sick note, many people took advantage of this and the airlines changed their stance, and became hard a** about it.
I can understand both sides, but NK should consider the good will 200 bux can buy them. It's a shame you can't take a person on their word any more, but it's what it is.
Next Flights: PDX-HNL-OGG-LIH-PDX On AS, WP & HA

Jerseyguy

Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:51 am

If a marketing director from another airline was smart, they would refund the guys ticket and consider it part of their ad budget. I'm sure it would get covered in multiple papers. Eithter that or fly the person they were going to visit to Tampa to see him for free.

[Edited 2012-04-24 19:08:57]
Webmaster of an unoffical TTN page see profile for details

flymia

Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:14 am

First thing I thought when I saw the thread title.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

clickhappy

Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:17 am

How long until we see a "Fares so low you better be dying not to fly" ad campaign from NK?

Quokkas

Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:36 am

I am not sure how much good will Spirit would gain from refunding at this stage. It would simply seem that they are doing it to get adverse media off their backs. Before hand no-one would have known so there would not have been any positive publicity.

While I sympathise with the guy wanting to be with his daughter, perhaps he could have asked for his doctor's advice before buying the ticket. Many insurance policies exclude cover for known medical conditions unless an additional premium is paid - perhaps he thought the insurance was not worth getting because it cost more than the ticket. Who knows? Was he aware that the ticket was non-refundable when he bought it?
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

BoeingGuy

Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:18 am

Quoting AWACSooner (Reply 2):

Well, airlines like NK exist because the public puts up with it. You pay carry-on fees and get bad service because the ticket is a few dollars cheaper than a full-service airline.

Just like people put up with DL being almost impossible to get a frequent flier miles aware ticket on. If people would start voting with their feet and pocket books, airlines like NK wouldn't get away with treating its customers so poorly.

RWA380

Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:29 am

Quoting Quokkas (Reply 16):
I am not sure how much good will Spirit would gain from refunding at this stage. It would simply seem that they are doing it to get adverse media off their backs.

I think NK should do it, because it's the right thing to do, not because they hope to get some positive media spin off of it.

Hey NK, it's 200.00 bucks, your not going to go bust because of it. This poor guy who is facing certain death, should have better things to do with his time, but maybe he doesn't, which is sad. You don't know this guys life, when you are facing death, your mindset changes about a great number of things, for better or worse, I speak from my health experiences.

Give the poor man the freedom he deserves in his mind, and give his money back, so he can move along and hopefully he finds something more rewarding to spend his last few days here on earth doing. It seems like basic human decency, he sadly can't move on for whatever reason, let the man have peace for a short time, even if you feel your right.

[Edited 2012-04-24 20:49:54]

IslandRob

Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:31 am

Spirit rubs me the wrong way at every turn, and this is just another repulsive example of how crass they are. -ir
If you wrote me off I'd understand it
Because I've been on some other planet
So come pick me up, I've landed

aer

Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:43 am

Quoting clickhappy (Reply 15):
"Fares so low you better be dying not to fly" ad campaign from NK?

You should trademark it, they will certainly use it.

Still why are we still surprised when NK, or any other ULCC for that matter, do something like this?
nice and spacious airports in need of new airlines and flights... GUA or FRS anyone?... anyone at all?

RWA380

Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:05 am

Quoting aer (Reply 20):
Still why are we still surprised when NK, or any other ULCC for that matter, do something like this

Less surprised, and more disgusted. What lengths some companies will go to make a buck. You know NK will most likely sell that seat if they can, if they haven't already oversold the aircraft by now. It will likely go out full. In fact this guy is going to be helping make NK even more money, the money he paid for his seat, then the amount they collect from whomever else is going to be sitting in it, no wonder NK doesn't want to give his money back, they have doubled the amount they would have gotten for the seat if he travelled.

Do hotels do this with rooms? If you cancel inside of the cancellation policy, and get charged the usual one night penalty, do they turn around and sell the room to another person? I think that would be illegal, as hotels fall under some of the same laws that govern apartments in relation to residency, depending on state I'm sure.

eastalt

Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:30 am

After reading the article, I have to agree with Spirit. This guy booked a non-refundable ticket with a pre-existing condition and now expects to be refunded. If you read the fare rules and the Contract of Carriage, Spirit has not done anything wrong. He entered into a contract knowing the rule and now wants to void it. I wonder what would have happen if he bought a car, or purchased a house.

Further, I don't understand why he did not purchase a fully refundable ticket. If he had done so, this would not have happen. Also, at the end of the article, he has now decided he will drive to see is daughter. This sounds a little fishy to me.

I not trying to be insensitive, but I have really grown tired of people not taking responsibility for their own actions.

RWA380

Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:03 am

Quoting eastalt (Reply 22):
After reading the article, I have to agree with Spirit. This guy booked a non-refundable ticket with a pre-existing condition and now expects to be refunded. If you read the fare rules and the Contract of Carriage, Spirit has not done anything wrong.

I'm sure he felt was ok to travel at the time of booking, there is a reason there is the word "exception". This isn't a matter of Spirit being right, it's a matter of Spirit doing the right thing.

Further, I don't understand why he did not purchase a fully refundable ticket.

You know for a lot of us, Social Security may be the only source of income a person has, sometimes barely reaching 600.00 a month in some cases, why he didn't purchase a refundable ticket was surely economics, he may have been able to afford a non-refundable only, or miss out on seeing his daughter.

I not trying to be insensitive, but I have really grown tired of people not taking responsibility for their own actions.

I don't think you came across insensitive, more of the story remains hidden I'm sure. But this is not a case of him being irresponsible, but more being caught in an unfortunate situation, if he's really close to dying, who knows what is happening in this guys mind and how that is affecting his emotions and his spirit. Headline, "Spirit accused of killing spirit"

At least this guy is getting his 15 minutes of fame before dying, as Andy Warhol said we'd all get. Maybe this is his silver lining, he gets to complain publicly, and he gets some needed attention. But death is never funny, and I hope peace finds him after this ordeal is over with one-way or another.

[Edited 2012-04-24 22:25:21]

727LOVER
Topic Author

Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:16 am

He was on Bubba the Love Sponge this morning crying and saying SPIRIT, WHERE IS THEIR SPIRIT??? He is getting his $200 back through donations, but for NK, the publicity is just so negative.....again, not worth $200, IMHO
I feel woozy....what did you put in that Pudding Pop?

DocLightning

Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:27 am

Agreed. You can't take it with you...
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

irishpower

Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:29 am

I agree that this poor guy should just let it go. Why spend your last days angry and bitter? He needs to believe in the basic Karma rule of "what goes around comes around".

Spirit will get what's coming to them eventually.

checksixx

Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:48 am

Well I'm sorry about his prognosis and hope he can be comfortable with the time he has left. This form of cancer is generally caused by smoking/drinking (alcohol) a lot...

But after looking over what Spirit's policies are, they clearly DO have a policy in place for 'this sort of thing'. He disagrees with it and now he's going to let it affect him negatively.

Too bad he can't just let it go.

AWACSooner

Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:23 pm

Quoting clickhappy (Reply 15):
How long until we see a "Fares so low you better be dying not to fly" ad campaign from NK?

Now now, don't give them any ideas...

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 17):
Well, airlines like NK exist because the public puts up with it. You pay carry-on fees and get bad service because the ticket is a few dollars cheaper than a full-service airline.

Just like people put up with DL being almost impossible to get a frequent flier miles aware ticket on. If people would start voting with their feet and pocket books, airlines like NK wouldn't get away with treating its customers so poorly.

Agreed...the masses always look for the bottom dollar up front, and never seem to care that the nickel and dime fees make them HIGHER than that ticket on the other airline who doesn't charge them for the ancillary stuff.

Quoting IslandRob (Reply 19):
Spirit rubs me the wrong way at every turn, and this is just another repulsive example of how crass they are. -ir

You're actually surprised they did this? They're like FR...any kind of press is good press cause it shines the spotlight on them and people go to their website.

Quoting Irishpower (Reply 26):
Spirit will get what's coming to them eventually.

God, I hope so.

tjcab

Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:49 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 24):
After reading the article, I have to agree with Spirit. This guy booked a non-refundable ticket with a pre-existing condition and now expects to be refunded. If you read the fare rules and the Contract of Carriage, Spirit has not done anything wrong. He entered into a contract knowing the rule and now wants to void it. I wonder what would have happen if he bought a car, or purchased a house.

Further, I don't understand why he did not purchase a fully refundable ticket. If he had done so, this would not have happen. Also, at the end of the article, he has now decided he will drive to see is daughter. This sounds a little fishy to me.

agreed!

PI4EVER

Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:09 pm

I live in Tampa so I am very familiar with this story. Mr. Meekins has been on TV and his story published in the press on 2 occasions, including an article in today's Tampa Bay Times about his picket and support from the community in asking Spirit to adopt a more lenient policy for sick and dying passengers.
Mr. Meekins purchased his ticket to ACY in March, to be with his daughter who lives in NJ, who has surgery scheduled for this month. At that time he did not anticipate his condition worsening to prevent him from being with her. His doctor's subsequently advised him public travel was not permitted due to a compromised immune system due to chemo. He contacted NK to cancel his reservation, and asked that his ticket be refunded to the Wounded Warrior Project as he is a military veteran and retired police officer. That created the stir about their lack of a refund policy unless the ticketed passenger actually dies.
His anger at NK is directed at their policy allowing for no exceptions in any case except death. Per Spirit's spokesperson Misty Pinson "We don't make exceptions to that policy just because a person has an unusual circumstance or goes to the media." Mr. Meekins feels it is an example of "corporate greed" since he knows NK will or has re-sold his seat at the same or likely a higher fare and by refunding or donating his ticket to the Wounded Warrior Project would promote goodwill and show the airline has a caring "spirit"
His "picket" was sitting in a folding chair outside the NK ticket counter holding a hand written sign, with several military veterans from the American Legion joining him. Several TV stations did a live interview with him and his support group including interviews with several NK passengers who were unaware of the situation.
NK has obviously received extensive media coverage over this situation and most likely will have no effect on their business volume whatsoever. A reporter even suggested had NK refunded or donated the ticket, they likely would have received no exposure to their good deed anyway, hence their "no exception" stand on the ticket issue.
At the end of the day, it simply is one little guy taking on the "establishment" or the example of "corporate greed."
NK will continue to fly, the prognosis for Mr. Meekins is poor, and his daughter will undergo the surgery and hopefully recover to see her father one last time.
How he got it (the cancer) and what he should have known about buying the ticket, refunds, et cetera many of you have rambled on about is not the point of his story. Many of you should "just let it go."
Thomas
P.S. Yes RWA380, the hotel can and likely will re-sell that room. You forfeiting the one night's deposit is YOUR penalty......in the same principle that NK can, will or has re-sold his seat.
Thomas
watch what you want. you may get it.

bjorn14

Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:19 pm

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 5):
Despite no longer working for the company, I still received a phone call asking me to explain myself and my actions.

I hope you told them to pound sand.

he has now decided he will drive to see is daughter

Probably cost him more to drive @ $4/gal.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

wjcandee

Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:52 pm

How sick is this guy, again?

He's making the trip anyway, albeit by car.

He's taking the time to "picket". Really? How is his "compromised immune system" handling all the germs from all the passengers at the airport?

luv2fly

Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:26 pm

The bottom line is , it is a rule you agreed when you bought the ticket. That is way everyone wants an exception cause if you raise enough noise someone will give in. Do I agree, no. Though I do respect them for holding there ground and not caving to preasure.
You can cut the irony with a knife

falstaff

Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:31 pm

Quoting ua76heavy (Reply 11):
When my mother passed away, HA made a full refund of her ticket, and sent a nice letter expressing their condolences. The agent who I spoke to was very kind and respectful

Back in '07 my mom broke her hip a week before she was to fly up and visit me, on NW. My mom called from the hospital and explained her situation and at first said they would need documentation to refund the money, as it was a non refundable ticket. When she said she really didn't want the money back, but wondered if she could just get a credit and use the ticket later. NW was more than happy to do that and didn't even want to see medical documentation. NW gave her a year from the original travel date to use the credit, which she used 6 months later. Mom said that NW was very friendly about the whole thing and she was expecting the worst.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

frmrCapCadet

Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:37 pm

In a way airlines actually don't sell seats from one place to another, it is more like they sell a license to board a plane from one place to another. The seat will be assigned if they happen to have room that day. If they actually sold a ticket you could sell, lend, give it to someone else. In part they rely on government regulations, mostly relating to security, to justify and enforce this.

This is similar to the music industry and software industry which which also sell licenses. And you know what is happening to them! Were congress to say that airlines have to sell tickets and seats, and the customer actually had bought something this problem would disappear. By the way, Southwest's policy comes as close to truly selling a seat as any airline. Their exception is that if you just don't show up, you even get a credit.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

BoeingGuy

Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:38 pm

Quoting luv2fly (Reply 33):
The bottom line is , it is a rule you agreed when you bought the ticket. That is way everyone wants an exception cause if you raise enough noise someone will give in. Do I agree, no. Though I do respect them for holding there ground and not caving to preasure.

Rules are made to be broken. There's a certain time when a company should just bit the bullet and grant an exception and everyone gets on with life.

For all the bad press AA gets, they cut me some slack once. I inadvertently bought two tickets to UVF. I cancelled the first one thinking I was cancelling the whole thing. I didn't realize I was just cancelling the flight selection, not the actual ticket. So I started over and bought a second ticket.

I e-mailed AA, took responsibility, admitted my mistake, told them I was really sorry, and assured them it will never happen again (In other words, I didn't try to put the blame on them or anything else). After lecturing me on how the "Purchase" button is very clear, they granted me a one time exception and refunded one ticket price, and told me to have a nice trip. I continue to loyally fly AA and was very appreciative of their help.

That's the kind of common sense NK should have.

b727fa

Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:59 pm

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 5):
Despite no longer working for the company, I still received a phone call asking me to explain myself and my actions.

I hope you didn't take the call. It's not up to you to "explain yourself" to a company with which you're no longer affiliated.

and get bad service because the ticket is a few dollars cheaper than a full-service airline.

Yeah, he's such an idiot for getting sick after booking on a ULFC. If you KNOW you're going to die, book FULL service!
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

BoeingGuy

Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:26 pm

Quoting B727FA (Reply 37):
and get bad service because the ticket is a few dollars cheaper than a full-service airline.

Yeah, he's such an idiot for getting sick after booking on a ULFC. If you KNOW you're going to die, book FULL service!

I think you misunderstood my comment. I was talking in general about people who buy a ticket on a ULFC and then complain because the seats are cramped, the service is bad and they get more nickled and dimed. Or I've seen someone book a connection that turns a 3 hour flight into an 8 hour flight, and then complain about it, because the ticket was $20 cheaper.

Point is, ill or not, if you book the bottom of the barrel you are going to get bottom of the barrel treatment.

ATLTPA

Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:15 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 24):
He was on Bubba the Love Sponge this morning crying and saying SPIRIT, WHERE IS THEIR SPIRIT??? He is getting his $200 back through donations, but for NK, the publicity is just so negative.....again, not worth $200, IMHO

Absolutely correct.

Penny wise and pound foolish on Spirit's part. It's difficult to quantify what the negative publicity will cost the airline, but it will be a lot more than $197.

Quoting checksixx (Reply 27):
Well I'm sorry about his prognosis and hope he can be comfortable with the time he has left. This form of cancer is generally caused by smoking/drinking (alcohol) a lot...

Not relevant.

ATLTPA

skycub

Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:17 pm

I cannot believe people actually fly this airline. I also cannot believe people work for it. I don't care how badly my dreams were to work for an airline, I would never stoop to the level of working for this pathetic excuse of an operation. I am embarrassed that they are, apparently, doing well in my hometown of Dallas/Fort Worth. I would have hoped the people of the Metroplex had more class than to stoop to the level of supporting this company.

I mean despite all of their tacky and classless advertisements and sales, despite their reprehensible policies and often misleading pricing, despite everything that is downright despicable about them, I would have thought they would have had the compassion and common sense to refund the ticket of a dying man.

Ridiculous.
My opinions are my own. They are not representative of my employer, my union or my co-workers. They are all mine.

luv2fly

Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:25 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 36):
Rules are made to be broken. There's a certain time when a company should just bit the bullet and grant an exception and everyone gets on with life.

Thinking like this is why people try to circumvent the rules. They are not made to be broken, that is why they are called rules. Do I think they are being petty, sure do. It is like buying insurance and not getting collision and having an accident, you can't call up Allstate after the fact and plead your case. Same difference.

b727fa

Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:28 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 38):
I think you misunderstood my comment.

Hey there...I was intending to be more sarcastic. That didn't come across! Sorry! We are in agreement.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

AirframeAS

Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:30 pm

Spirit should just refund the poor guy and be done with it.

I agree, but before the refund is to happen, they should ask for medical proof on his condition signed off by his doctor. But then again, HIPPA rules prevent that from happening.... However... People fake these things day in, day out EVERYWHERE..... It is incredible what people would do to get certain things.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

ROSWELL41

Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:18 pm

I feel compassion for this gentleman, but I don't really understand why this is a newsworthy story. If we were talking about any other business other than an airline, this wouldn't be an issue. Say this man bought a motorcycle and then lost the use of his arms, should the dealership refund his money? Of course that would never happen. This will have no effect on NK and it should serve as a reminder to travelers that 'forewarned is forearmed.'

bennett123

Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:56 pm

B727FA

I recall a company that I used to work for;

We dealt with complaints about Endowment sales.

If the adviser had left/retired, we still wrote to his/her home address requesting a report of his/her recollections.

Often no answer was received, but if one was received, then it formed part of our investigation.

IslandRob

Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:20 pm

Quoting B727FA (Reply 42):
Thinking like this is why people try to circumvent the rules. They are not made to be broken, that is why they are called rules. Do I think they are being petty, sure do. It is like buying insurance and not getting collision and having an accident, you can't call up Allstate after the fact and plead your case. Same difference.

It's not the same at all, and I'm staggered anyone would draw such a parallel. Refunding the poor guy's ticket would likely cost EvilSpirit Airlines very little if not nothing. Decent businesses make these kinds of small, humane gestures to their customers all the time.

For a while now, I've despised Spirit and the way they do business. After reading the background story on this refund issue (shared above), I now loathe them. Regards. -ir

[Edited 2012-04-25 13:22:03]
If you wrote me off I'd understand it
Because I've been on some other planet
So come pick me up, I've landed

luv2fly

Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:41 pm

Quoting IslandRob (Reply 46):
It's not the same at all, and I'm staggered anyone would draw such a parallel. Refunding the poor guy's ticket would likely cost EvilSpirit Airlines very little if not nothing. Decent businesses make these kinds of small, humane gestures to their customers all the time.

For a while now, I've despised Spirit and the way they do business. After reading the background story on this refund issue (shared above), I now loathe them. Regards. -ir

Here is the crux of the issue, he knew when he bought the ticket the strings that came attached with this purchase. Once you do it for one person then when and where do you draw the line in choosing which rules to keep and which ones to break. And most likely he could not have purchased travel insurance since this was a pre-existing condition so even that would not have been an option. He bought the ticket in advance to get the lowest price and he gambled with even being able to fly in his condition. The odds were with the house in this case.

ACdreamliner

Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:33 pm

It took 22 posts, but im glad someone finally said it! Agree fully...
Where are you going?

kdhurst380

Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:30 pm

With all due sympathy to this man, ticket conditions are ticket conditions. Most insurance policies will cover for events like this. Each to their own, but I could think of far better things to do with two months than picket an airline ticket desk for sticking to their side of the bargain.

Awful disease to die of, but seriously?!