SInGAPORE_AIR
Topic Author

Emirates - Debunking Myths Over Subsidies

Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:20 am

I was sent this document today which has been prepared by Emirates:

Airlines and Subsidy: Our Position

The document appears to be well-researched and some key highlights (it is definitely worth reading in full) are:

• Examples of recent airline subsidies including AI, JL, JK, CY, OK, AZ and MA

• Rebuttals to quotes from: AC, Association of European Airlines, AF KLM, OS, LH, Australia Workers' Union and Athena Aviation

• A timeline of some notable airline state support events including: EI, AF, AZ, BA, IB, LH, OA, QF, TP and LX

• Supporting quote from their auditors PwC

• Accusing Star Alliance member airlines of taking subsidies totalling €6.8bn, of which LH Group comprises €3.125bn

• Explanation of Emirates' sourcing of finance (US$26bn over the last 15 years)

• A comparison of airline costs and airport costs

• An explanation of Emirates' oil procurement including quotes from Chevron, BP and Shell

• The compelling document will make uncomfortable reading for those that insist that Emirates is subsidised. Further, it shows that some of the most vocal airlines who claims such as these are the ones who have themselves received financial and aeropolitical subsidies.

Subsidies aside, the graphic showing unit cost comparison just shows how competitive Emirates is.

I think it's a very well-researched document that deals in facts rather than hyperbole.
    Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

RyanairGuru

RE: Emirates - Debunking Myths Over Subsidies

Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:38 am

I think you should sell tickets to watch this thread   this is going to be fun....

Personally I agree with your sentiment. The report makes for fascinating reading.

A couple of points:

1) EK's labour costs are higher than SQ and MH.

2) EK has 46% market share in DXB. That means that 54% of passengers are flying other carriers, putting to bed any claims that DXB's market is "totally artificial" with limited O&D and survives on connections.

3) EK's fuel costs are pretty much average. Incidentally on this point, I've never understood those who purport that EK receives subsidised oil because even if they did get it in DXB, how do they get free oil in SYD?

4) Some of the vitriol posted by other groups (lead by Air Canada) is unbelievable. Honestly, I have no idea why EK have never sued for libel given that some of their competitors allegations (which they make with no evidence in hand) are pretty damning. Incidentally some of the people should just have kept quiet. For example, I can't figure out why the Australian Workers Union chimed in. The only work group at QF which AWU represents are the engineers and they should be much more concerned by the fact that QF can perform their functions for less in Asia than the extent of competition (fair or otherwise) which QF is faced with on flights to Europe.

Just my 2c. I know others will disagree.
    Worked Hard, Flew Right

gkirk

Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:47 am

This should be fun to watch  
    When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

boeing773W

Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:54 am

Quoting SInGAPORE_AIR (Thread starter):
    I think it's a very well-researched document that deals in facts rather than hyperbole.

It was prepared by Emirates. What else did you expect them to say?!?

They've engaged in a campaign of trying to portray other airlines in a bad light for receiving various funds/bailouts, which according to EK amount to subsidies. Are and are they trying to use that as an excuse for something?!?

Also, with respect, but a quote "from their auditors PWC" means nothing. Of course their own auditors will confirm EK's story. An auditor's report is effectively an opinion and nothing more. Most aren't worth the paper they're written on frankly (think back to Arthur Andersen's "audits" of Enron and you get the picture).

This whole thing from EK reminds me a bit of the old saying 'Do as I say, not as I do'.

[Edited 2012-04-28 01:56:23]

mdavies06

Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:12 am

Quote:

Mr Spinetta describes the Gulf region in broad
    terms that distort reality. Dubai has none of
    the oil wealth of its neighbours, which is why
    it pioneered service-based companies such as
    Emirates. As a result, Emirates is unique in the
    Middle East for having consistently produced
    profits due to our strong commercial mandate.
    We have been run in this way since October
    1985. There is nothing secondary about
    profitability for Emirates, which taps international
    lenders for its financing needs and thus needs to
    operate on a profitable basis in order to service
    these loans.

Dubai as a emirate could not afford its expansion without Abu Dhabi. I did not see this mentioned at all in this document. Its benefit from its oil neighbor is very broadbased across its entire economy.

DXB and EK would not have had their successes without the Abu Dhabi subsidy. They are very interlinked in my view. Without the bailout in 2009-2010 Dubai as a emirate would have had to seek help from the IMF. I would love to see how this all benefitted EK but sadly this document did not mention it. Obviously a scenario which would have played out was for the Dubai emirate to sell its state assets including EK but as it was eventually bailed out this scenario did not happen.

Without the bailout the cost base would have gone up by means of higher land acquisition cost, higher airport charges, overall increase in tax level across the society which feed through as higher operational cost, a decrease in city infrustructure investment in all levels.

The issue of tax was a one pager, page 25, with very little statistics...the villa looks nice though as crew housing.

The document's conclusion in page 27 is almost unreadable in light of the above.

[Edited 2012-04-28 02:25:25]

PanHAM

Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:25 am

A subsidy is only a subsidy when it is used to support current operations or to keep a defunct company alive.

I just take 2 items - the € 800 Million Lufthansa pension fund - LH was government owned and had a public service pension scheme vs. the regular pension scheme in which private companies pay onthly as do the employees.

Going public means that the privatized company cannot assume the liabilities of the old company, otherwise the IPO would not have been accepted. The pension fund is a liability of the previous owner, not the new company.,

AUA - besides the fact that LH has assumed some old debt of AUA, who in his right mind would take over the liabilities of a defunct company? That is the previous owners liability and if the bride is so ugly that she can be married only with a solid dowry. The alternative would have been bancruptcy and a clean sheet company, like Swissair / Swiss.

That would have been much more expensive for the Austrian state.

True, many countries subsidize airlines, India is a good, better, a bad example. However, this pamphlet is biased and the bottom line is what the airline wanted to read.
    powered by Eierlikör

AeroWesty

Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:28 am

Interesting reading. On page 4, they state: "Emirates acknowledges that some airlines in the Middle East are indeed government subsidised ... " Other than a passing reference to Saudi Arabian later in the document, they don't list which ME carriers are benefitting from these subsidies, nor the amounts, while at the same time they go to great lengths to detail what they believe to be gov't subsidies for airlines outside of the region.

It would be interesting to see the figures for subsidies given to their neighboring competitors in the same detail.
    International Homo of Mystery

rogercamel

Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:28 am

I was sent this document today which has been prepared by Emirates:

You can tailor virtually any set of statistics to meet your own aims.

IMHO EK may not receive subsidies in the same way that state airlines have in the past. But - the business environment they find themselves in is probably favourable compared to other airlines, particularly those in the west. I doubt they have the same union issues that US and European carriers do enabling them to react quicker, and be more flexible and re-shapre their business to suit the economics.

I'd be interested to know how EK has funded its expansion. Has it been through raising debt funding? From equity investors?

Zkpilot

Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:40 am

I love it how they compare historical subsidies... ie from back in the day when all airlines were pretty much subsidized so it was to be expected and when air routes weren't liberalized to the extent they are now. Emirates didn't even exist when most of these were done so I don't see why they are using them as comparisons.

They bat away the argument about no tax as saying its a sovereign issue. It is a sovereign issue, but it is the single biggest factor that lowers their overall costs compared to other airlines (hundreds of millions of $ per annum), also factor in aircraft depreciation rates and it is worse still. But it could be argued that it is up to countries to decide what is best for them, in that case other countries should probably impose tariff fares on the likes of EK etc to operate out of their countries. Another option would be for other countries to allow their airlines tax free status themselves. Of course this just opens a big can of worms. If such a thing were to occur then likely fuel tax on jet fuel would need to be imposed at high levels (something which all airlines including EK would have to pay).
    56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

Ruscoe

Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:46 am

When it all boils down, it is about risk!!

Having a big brother or sugar daddy allows you to take the risks necessary to grow when more prudent
    operators cannot, because of the risk to shareholders.

It is about who are the shareholders.
    I don't know who the shreholders are at Emirates, but I would be surprised if it is freely traded.

Fundamentally, this is the same reason Airbus was able to become the number one Commercial Airliner producer.

Ruscoe

SuperCaravelle

Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:12 am

Quoting rogercamel (Reply 7):
    IMHO EK may not receive subsidies in the same way that state airlines have in the past. But - the business environment they find themselves in is probably favourable compared to other airlines, particularly those in the west. I doubt they have the same union issues that US and European carriers do enabling them to react quicker, and be more flexible and re-shapre their business to suit the economics.

I'd be interested to know how EK has funded its expansion. Has it been through raising debt funding? From equity investors?

Well, that's more a problem of the other carriers than of EK, right? You can't expect EK to adhere to policies of other countries just to keep a level playing field.

EK might have expanded using debt funding from equity investors, but don't forget that they are competing against airlines that have enjoyed up to 80 years of regulated government support. It's not an excuse, but it puts things into perspective.

PanHAM

Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:23 am

Quoting Ruscoe (Reply 9):
    Having a big brother or sugar daddy allows you to take the risks necessary to grow when more prudent

Bingo - not only that. Big brother is the owner, or in the case of Abu Dhabi the uncle of the owner. The owner sets the rules without any public controls. By decret there is an airline which gets all it wants, no night curfews, no obstacles, the owner is at bthe same time the state civl aviation authority. need new terminal? No problem. need new airport with 6 or so unways? Will do it. All that in a fraction of the time it takes in Europe or Norrh America where legal processes have to be observed. Not only in building infrastructure but in managing public corporations as well.
    powered by Eierlikör

Quokkas

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:10 am

Quoting boeing773W (Reply 3):
    They've engaged in a campaign

They are engaged in a campaign and responding to frequent accusations made by some airlines that EK has "unfair" advantages and needs to be curbed. The fact that it was prepared by Emirates does not invalidate the contents, although they will of course have been carefully selected to support the company's position. It would be interesting to see actual facts and figures produced by the opponents of EK, rather than just innuendo and baseless stories.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 6):
    to detail what they believe to be gov't subsidies for airlines outside of the region.

Because the push to curb EK's growth is mainly coming from outside the region. AF, LH, AC have loudly and repeatedly made claims without evidence that EK is subsidised, receives cheap fuel, pays no fees at DXB, etc, etc. This pamphlet seeks to refute those claims so obviously it concentrates on those countries where the greatest opposition comes from. But it would be interesting to see to what extent other carriers in the region are subsidised.

I'd be interested to know how EK has funded its expansion

Through a combination of EXIM guarantees, bond issues, Islamic finance, finance leases...

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 8):
    I love it how they compare historical subsidies...

Emirates has been around since 1985. Some of the "historical subsidies" referred to include 2009 and 2010.

impose tariff fares on the likes of EK

Some bilaterals allow for that: for example Germany has threatened EK with fines if it did not raise its fares on some routes following complaints from LH.

I don't know who the shreholders are at Emirates,

EK is part of the Emirates Group which is owned by the Dubai Investment Corporation, a government corporation.
    “Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

rogercamel

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:11 am

Quoting SuperCaravelle (Reply 10):
    Well, that's more a problem of the other carriers than of EK, right?

What I was trying to say is that even though EK may not receive subsidies, it does have business advantages against other carriers. Be that through the tax policies.

It is about who are the shareholders.
    I don't know who the shreholders are at Emirates, but I would be surprised if it is freely traded.

My thoughts too. If the investors are government owned companies they will take a different view in relation to expected returns and approach for risk.

IndianicWorld

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:12 am

Oh the EK debate again, but this time stirred up by the airline itself.

Whatever the reason, it should just focus on itself instead of spin to further enhance its strong position.

airbazar

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:39 am

Debunking myths? Looks more like they're digging a bigger hole for themselves  
    Even if they're better than the rest, they clearly don't understand the ingrained menthality in the West: Never trust a government entity. And that's exactly what EK is, a government entity. Usually when a government entity puts out something like this it's because they're trying to hide something. Whether that's true or not for EK, it really doesn't matter because of popular perception. They should just continue to focus on what they do best.

connies4ever

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:50 am

Quoting airbazar (Reply 15):
    Even if they're better than the rest, they clearly don't understand the ingrained menthality in the West: Never trust a government entity.

I'd say more than likely an ingrained mentality in the USA, not the West. Thanks to the GOP and Tea Party, in part. And I am not entirely convinced that statement is completely true in the USA, if I may say. In Canada, for example, there is trust in a number of government institutions, the health care system for one, justice another. Frustration at times, absolutely. It's not always done right, but usually. We rely on it.

Off-topic, and apologies for that, but your statement is rather sweeping.
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ElPistolero

Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:30 pm

Oh goody. The perfect cure for a sore-throat ravaged Saturday morning.  

I haven't even read the article yet, but I see the same old objections are all over the place.

From where I stand, this is a biased piece of paper. But so what? It is another voice on an issue that has been far too one-sided in the recent past. I have spent the last few days scrolling through the Canadian Senate's ongoing hearing about the state of the airline industry in Canada, and the one thing that struck me is that there are a lot of myths that are being propogated by Air Canada that are being relentlessly dismissed by academics, bureaucrats etc at the Senate. A lot of those myths appear on Air Canada related threads here. I imagine the same can be said for a lot of other criticism by other carriers.

As far as I am concerned, this is a welcome addition to the literature on the topic, but it does not represent the whole story or the final say. It simply brings to the fore things that other airlines have been reluctant to talk about. From the perspective of a.net, I think a report like this should be welcomed, because it contributes to the overall shedding of light on the topic from a variety of angles, rather than the usual anti-EK diatribes. There is an element of self-righteousness in these debates that we should take into account - from both sides. This document, flawed though it likely will be, will contribute to perhaps a fairer assessment of the situation. Let us also consider the words of a cheeky Frenchman who famously said "The English created the idea of fairness and generously let everyone else put it into practice". Let us thank the English for their generosity and do that, shall we?

They've engaged in a campaign of trying to portray other airlines in a bad light for receiving various funds/bailouts, which according to EK amount to subsidies. Are and are they trying to use that as an excuse for something?!?

Or they're just pointing out that people in glass houses shouldn't....walk around without any clothes on. Or something to that effect.

Also, with respect, but a quote "from their auditors PWC" means nothing. Of course their own auditors will confirm EK's story. An auditor's report is effectively an opinion and nothing more. Most aren't worth the paper they're written on frankly (think back to Arthur Andersen's "audits" of Enron and you get the picture).

If auditing is such a hoax, why does anyone even bother. To be quite honest, this comment makes no sense. PWC is a global brand, not the guy down the road. Their 'opinion' is informed. They have a global presence so their quality holds some water with people. Perhaps because they generally do get it right?

Quoting mdavies06 (Reply 4):
    Dubai as a emirate could not afford its expansion without Abu Dhabi. I did not see this mentioned at all in this document. Its benefit from its oil neighbor is very broadbased across its entire economy.

After subsidizing EK, Abu Dhabi decided to create its own airline to compete with EK generally on the same routes. It all adds up. Or does it?

DXB and EK would not have had their successes without the Abu Dhabi subsidy.

Again, why would Abu Dhabi subsidize EK and DXB when its entered into direct competition with them. Does the Abu Dhabi emir get kicks out of giving EK money while EY helps him lose some money? It would take a real leap of irrationality to engage in this strategy of supporting one's main competitor at the one's own cost.

Obviously a scenario which would have played out was for the Dubai emirate to sell its state assets including EK but as it was eventually bailed out this scenario did not happen.

As opposed to the bailouts all over the world that have left many more people unemployed than employed? Selling state assets for a bailout is great, but if you can avoid it, wouldn't you? Look at unemployment rates in Greece right now.

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 5):
    True, many countries subsidize airlines, India is a good, better, a bad example. However, this pamphlet is biased and the bottom line is what the airline wanted to read.

I don't think it was ever meant to be unbiased. It is merely a response to the equally biased 'facts' coming out of LH.

You can tailor virtually any set of statistics to meet your own aims.

Which everyone is doing, so why not EK as well? AC famously declared that a daily EK flight to YYZ would result in tens of thousands of job losses - a claim repeated by the then-transport Minister who, as the present foreign minister, has done more to improve Canada-UAE relations than any of his predeccessors.

the business environment they find themselves in is probably favourable compared to other airlines, particularly those in the west. I doubt they have the same union issues that US and European carriers do enabling them to react quicker, and be more flexible and re-shapre their business to suit the economics.

Indeed, but that is hardly their fault. I don't care much for the labor angle. Fact is, if we did, Airlines would open themselves up for criticism given their willingness to buy products from countries with equally lax labor laws (pillows and whatnot from China etc).

Amen, as we have seen in Canada with Air Canada and the government. But that said, most Euro legacy carriers also had sugar daddies during their inception and consolidation stages. Where would they have been witout government support in those critical early years?

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 11):
    Bingo - not only that. Big brother is the owner, or in the case of Abu Dhabi the uncle of the owner. The owner sets the rules without any public controls. By decret there is an airline which gets all it wants, no night curfews, no obstacles, the owner is at bthe same time the state civl aviation authority. need new terminal? No problem. need new airport with 6 or so unways? Will do it. All that in a fraction of the time it takes in Europe or Norrh America where legal processes have to be observed. Not only in building infrastructure but in managing public corporations as well.

Why does it have to be privately owneed? WHy does it have to have public controls? There are many large family owned organizations that are doing very well. Why bring external shareholders in?

The rest of your post is about public policy. If a state decrees that something is in its strategic interest, it moves forward with it. China's astronomical growth is based on this simple rule. Dubai recognized the potential for tourism and the hub system and ran with it, in much the same way as China had little regard for peasants when it took over land and turned them into sprawling industrial zones. While the observance of legal processes is great and all, every country is entitled to do what it thinks is best for its people (we call it sovereignty). The UAE has followed a tourism and hub airport model (as well as a financial hub and shipping hub model) that has proven to be very successful. By contrast, Germany taxes like it is going out of style, though to be fair to Germany, they've never really aspired to be a tourist destination in the same league as UAE, France, or more recently, Turkey.

China too builds factories faster than anyone else. Factories that build, among other things, Airbus aircraft and other components for airlines like LH.

Is it unfair? No. No one is stopping Germany from adopting the same policy. Germany is choosing not to. If I insist on wearing uncomfortable shoes, can I blame you for wearing comfortable shoes and insist that you change them?

Debunking myths? Looks more like they're digging a bigger hole for themselves

The problem with emotive topics such as this one is that there is a whole lot of ideology and mythology associated with it.

. And that's exactly what EK is, a government entity. Usually when a government entity puts out something like this it's because they're trying to hide something.

With all due respect, that's nonsense. EK is responding to claims. If it keeps quiet, you can accuse it of trying to hide something. If it responds you can (and do) accuse it of hiding something. Damned if they do, damned if they don't, eh?

SInGAPORE_AIR
    Topic Author

Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:36 pm

Emirates appears to have engaged in a defensive campaign to take on the throwaway lies that are insinuated or explictly given by certain airlines and their supporters (including those on this forum).

Has it been through raising debt funding? From equity investors?

Mainly from debt. Equity in 2002 was AED 692.2m (US$188.4m). In 2011 this had risen to AED 801.0m (US$218.1m).

Page 14 of the document shows that they have raised US$26bn of finance over the last 15 years: operating leases 43%, commercial banks 19%, ExIm banks 12%, bond issuance 9%, ECA 13%, Islamic finance 4%.

In 2011 for example, Emirates Airline raised US$1bn via a bond with a coupon of 5.125%. Singapore Airlines issued S$300m (US$ 242.6m) of bonds with a coupon of 2.15%.

I love it how they compare historical subsidies

Many of the examples are not that historic.

It is a sovereign issue,

Tax is indeed a sovereign issue. However, the argument many imply on this forum is that Emirates should be unfairly treated in its own country and be charged corporation tax. I do not think imposing tariffs on Emirates by other countries would be seen in a good light, particularly at the World Trade Organization. And why just middle-eastern airlines then ? Why not any airline that operates from a country with lower corporation taxes (from which all industries in that economy benefit) such as say, Singapore, Hong Kong SAR and even the United Kingdom (30%) compared to Australia.

Never trust a government entity

Perhaps some dramatic cynicism there but clearly 31.4m passengers trusted Emirates to transport them in the year ending 31 March 2011.
    Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

AngMoh

Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:10 pm

Quoting rogercamel (Reply 13):
    What I was trying to say is that even though EK may not receive subsidies, it does have business advantages against other carriers. Be that through the tax policies.

Is it the fault of EK that the tax policies are beneficial? Every country has its own pros and cons: the trick is to make best advantage of that.

Quoting rogercamel (Reply 13):
    My thoughts too. If the investors are government owned companies they will take a different view in relation to expected returns and approach for risk.

There are big differences in shareholders and you can not generalize. Some governments which are big shareholders want to maximize profits (Singapore), other just create jobs for their buddies (Malaysia) and even other ones are just concerned about the next election (Canada). I think in Dubai they just want more money for nicer toys...

jfk777

Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:23 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 1):
    3) EK's fuel costs are pretty much average. Incidentally on this point, I've never understood those who purport that EK receives subsidised oil because even if they did get it in DXB, how do they get free oil in SYD?

IF they do receive a subsidy, sudsidized in Dubai would be a chunk of the cost, but I did say "IF".

SKY1

Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:38 pm

While any additional competition is always welcomed, I'd like to read someday a comprehensible and truly independent audit about the EK growth.

It was prepared by Emirates. What else did you expect them to say?!?

I assume that nobody here could expect for a fair, search-the-truth report. EK is here as the main involved side, so this a pamphlet that selfishly try to get confusion mixing half-truth when talking about others, with no a single own mention for the very friendly-business environment they find from the government, finance easiness (way more than average in the industry) or lack of work rights/trade unions among others.

Of course EK is not getting oil for free, it's an absurd myth ...but that piece of paper is as worthless as biased just exactly like to claim they're getting Jet A1 for free or way cheaper.

Quoting ElPistolero (Reply 17):
    From the perspective of a.net, I think a report like this should be welcomed, because it contributes to the overall shedding of light on the topic from a variety of angles

English is not my first language but I still understand that "variety" word means "The quality or condition of being various or varied" ...so, tell me how is it possible "a variety" coming from a single, very biased source.
    Time flies! Enjoy life!

PanHAM

Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:40 pm

Is it unfair? No. No one is stopping Germany from adopting the same policy. Germany is choosing not to. If I insist on wearing uncomfortable shoes, can I blame you for wearing comfortable shoes and insist that you change them?

The difference to the mentioned countries is that, like Canada, Germany is a democracy, ruled by the law and not by decret. It takes 15 to 20 years to build infrastructure projects. That answers your questions, I believe.
    powered by Eierlikör

docpepz

Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:57 pm

I'm not entirely sure EK's stats on labour costs are accurate. I compiled a list from various airline reports

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...9/docpepz/AirlineEmployeeCosts.png

You can see that SQ's costs are more like USD 83k per employee and not USD45k as EK's stats show.

connies4ever

Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:01 pm

If auditing is such a hoax, why does anyone even bother. To be quite honest, this comment makes no sense. PWC is a global brand, not the guy down the road. Their 'opinion' is informed. They have a global presence so their quality holds some water with people. Perhaps because they generally do get it right?

The Arthur Andersen &* Associates comparison is quite valid - Enron was a shell game but AA & A said it was a solid investment. Standard & Poor's rated Goldman Sachs as a solid investment only months before it collapsed. If you think these organisations are not prostituted to the fees they receive, you're smoking something. Of course PWC would say what EK wanted.

Amen, as we have seen in Canada with Air Canada and the government. But that said, most Euro legacy carriers also had sugar daddies during their inception and consolidation stages. Where would they have been witout government support in those critical early years?

Remember that AC was privatised mid-80s. So there is no sugar daddy. As well, ACPPA and the unfortunate interventions in free and fair labour negotiations by the current government (oddly enough, which supposedly supports laissez-faire marketplace rules) have seriously hobbled AC's ability to function as a truly private entity.

As well, during its' tenure as a Crown Corporation, AC returned more money to the crown than it lost. Significant profits in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, for example, were more common than not.

This link to a recent Financial Post article on Air Canada may be of interest:
    http://business.financialpost.com/20...ver-lasting-effects-on-air-canada/
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

RyanairGuru

Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:24 pm

ElPistolero, as always a fantastic post.

From where I stand, this is a biased piece of paper. But so what? It is another voice on an issue that has been far too one-sided in the recent past. I have spent the last few days scrolling through the Canadian Senate's ongoing hearing about the state of the airline industry in Canada, and the one thing that struck me is that there are a lot of myths that are being propogated by Air Canada that are being relentlessly dismissed by academics, bureaucrats etc at the Senate. A lot of those myths appear on Air Canada related threads here. I imagine the same can be said for a lot of other criticism by other carriers.

As far as I am concerned, this is a welcome addition to the literature on the topic, but it does not represent the whole story or the final say. It simply brings to the fore things that other airlines have been reluctant to talk about. From the perspective of a.net, I think a report like this should be welcomed, because it contributes to the overall shedding of light on the topic from a variety of angles, rather than the usual anti-EK diatribes. There is an element of self-righteousness in these debates that we should take into account - from both sides. This document, flawed though it likely will be, will contribute to perhaps a fairer assessment of the situation.

While my comments in post 1 probably show which side of this I stand on, I think your absolutely right: AC/LH/etc say one thing, EK say another, and the truth is in the middle. After all that is (theoretically) how the common law adversarial approach works!

There are many large family owned organizations that are doing very well. Why bring external shareholders in?

I believe that there is a little company called Virgin...

It would take a real leap of irrationality to engage in this strategy of supporting one's main competitor at the one's own cost.

While it is true that Abu Dhabi did bail out Dubai during the GFC, you are of course right: on the face of it it was totally irrational. The only reason I can think of was that Abu Dhabi didn't want the WTO and IMF poking around in the UAE.

every country is entitled to do what it thinks is best for its people (we call it sovereignty)

Bingo. While western liberal countries now adhere to something called "liberal internationalism", most developing countries still strictly uphold Westphalian principles. It is entirely their right to do so.

No one is stopping Germany from adopting the same policy. Germany is choosing not to

Correct again. If Canada wanted to give AC a 0% tax rate there is nothing (as far as I'm aware) to stop them from doing so at least from an international perspective (of course domestic politics is something altogether different)

Quoting SInGAPORE_AIR (Reply 18):
    And why just middle-eastern airlines then ? Why not any airline that operates from a country with lower corporation taxes (from which all industries in that economy benefit) such as say, Singapore, Hong Kong SAR and even the United Kingdom (30%) compared to Australia.

HK has a lower corporate tax rate than Australia, but your point still stands. Let's not lose sight of the fact that Ireland has (had?) a very low corporate tax rate which obviously benefited EI and (in particular) FR.

Quoting SKY1 (Reply 21):
    so, tell me how is it possible "a variety" coming from a single, very biased source.

I think he was referring to the fact that AC et al claim A and EK claim B ... and we can judge these competing claims.
    Worked Hard, Flew Right

SKY1

Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:55 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 25):
    I think he was referring to the fact that AC et al claim A and EK claim B

Dunno, we must to ask him, then .....but still we're talking on this thread about the "document" that has been prepared by EK, on the link provided by the initial poster.
    Time flies! Enjoy life!

mia

Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:00 pm

In a war of words, Emirate has put their best foot forward. I feel other companies would have done the same if they had any basis for their accusations statements. The key issues is: do we want free markets or not?
    "Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen."

ElPistolero

Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:14 pm

Quoting SKY1 (Reply 21):
    EK is here as the main involved side, so this a pamphlet that selfishly try to get confusion mixing half-truth when talking about others, with no a single own mention for the very friendly-business environment they find from the government, finance easiness (way more than average in the industry) or lack of work rights/trade unions among others.

Alright, then lets put it this way: We live in an age of globalization, yes? Every multinational company is competing on a global scale, yes? People are buying products made all around the world, yes? The thing that troubles me about posts that talk about "friendly business environment", "finance easiness" or "lack of work rights/trade unions", is that if you are going to use those as key sticking points, then apply them equally. But can you? Would LH be profitable if it had to buy all of its products in Germany? Would AC's finances be better if they didn't buy products from China? Or more simply, are you typing your post on a computer without any components from China, to which those three criteria apply equally? The reason I find these arguments meaningless is because many, many westerners are buying goods from abroad because they are cheaper when they come from abroad. And they are cheaper, because they invariably benefit from the three criteria you have posted here. Should we start punishing them all? This is what the world is now about - bottom lines. If you can buy it cheaper elsewhere, then in most industries, its not only allowed - its encouraged. Why should it not apply to the aviation industry?

Now, you could logically argue that aviation is a strategic industry. And I agree. It is. But then western governments need to start treating it like one, by trying to get those three criteria to apply to their own countries (within reason on the labor angle). What stops Germany from becoming a airline business friendly environment (it is business friendly for a number of other industries)? Why can't Britain, a financial capital, facilitate finance easiness?

The simple truth is that aviation is treated as a cash cow. Should we be complaining about that? Or should we complaining about the UAE not treating its own airlines as cash cows? Say waht you want about EK/EY, I dont think anybody can deny that they have put the UAE firmly on the map as a major global center, not just for aviation, but for tourism and business as well. IN other words, in a results-based world, the UAE haven't done too badly.

Quoting SKY1 (Reply 21):
    English is not my first language but I still understand that "variety" word means "The quality or condition of being various or varied" ...so, tell me how is it possible "a variety" coming from a single, very biased source.

As opposed to the vitriol coming from AC/LH/AF etc, which, of course, is varied. Well I suppose its varied insofar as the letterhead is different, but the arguments are identical. The more the merrier, I say. It would be nice if EY, AI etc added their voices too, but for now, this will have to do.

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 22):
    The difference to the mentioned countries is that, like Canada, Germany is a democracy, ruled by the law and not by decret. It takes 15 to 20 years to build infrastructure projects. That answers your questions, I believe.

Fair enough. So what do you propose? That we stop trading with all non-democracies? I am all for it, as long as it applies equally. What next? Ban Chinese products and Air China and cancel all LH flights to China? The democracy angle works well as a rhetoric barb, but then you have to punish all non-democracies equally. It can't just be one but not the other.

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 24):
    The Arthur Andersen &* Associates comparison is quite valid - Enron was a shell game but AA & A said it was a solid investment. Standard & Poor's rated Goldman Sachs as a solid investment only months before it collapsed. If you think these organisations are not prostituted to the fees they receive, you're smoking something. Of course PWC would say what EK wanted.

Again, that proves nothing. Its neither here nor there. By this logic, we should disband all auditors. Yet they persist. Why? You can't go around flaunting a prostitute as your wife if everyone knows she a prostitute, right? So why are people still giving companies their business? And why are governments not disbanding them for engaging in fraud?

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 24):
    Remember that AC was privatised mid-80s. So there is no sugar daddy. As well, ACPPA and the unfortunate interventions in free and fair labour negotiations by the current government (oddly enough, which supposedly supports laissez-faire marketplace rules) have seriously hobbled AC's ability to function as a truly private entity.

ACs case is perhaps a little different to others Euro legacies, but I would still contend that on balance, former government airlines have benefitted greatly from the monopolies and advantages hoisted on them (this includes the Euro carriers of course). As hobbled as AC is, it clearly has no qualms about running to the government everytime its in a little bit of trouble, be it with competitors, or its own workers, which suggests that some beneficial close links still remain. For its part, the government occassionally acts like it owns AC (everytime AC drops a direct flight from Ottawa AC's relationship with the Govenrment of Canada occassionally borders on the absurd, I nonetheless submit that this does not necessarily apply to all the European legacies who havent faced similar pressures.

[Edited 2012-04-28 08:20:56]

[Edited 2012-04-28 08:22:37]

ElPistolero

Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:19 pm

Quoting SKY1 (Reply 26):
    Dunno, we must to ask him, then .....but still we're talking on this thread about the "document" that has been prepared by EK, on the link provided by the initial poster.

There are many threads on Airliners.net that carry the AC/LH/AF claims. In some cases (as on one of the currently active AC threads), some of the posters are posting, word for word, segments from AC's documents.

Now, it would have been nice if the original poster had put them all in his opening post, but for the time being, I think it would be sensible to approach this document in the context of the statements by AC and LH and others. This is, after all, a direct response to them.

SKY1

Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:22 pm

Quoting mia (Reply 27):
    Emirate has put their best foot forward

Why? just for doing a .... a .....dunno how I could call it ....an advertising feature? They invent a scenario where the assertion can be taken out of context and misrepresented with the final goal of intended to mislead

Quoting mia (Reply 27):
    The key issues is: do we want free markets or not?

Yes, we do! (but not at any price)
    Time flies! Enjoy life!

Cubsrule

Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:25 pm

As far as I am concerned, this is a welcome addition to the literature on the topic, but it does not represent the whole story or the final say. It simply brings to the fore things that other airlines have been reluctant to talk about.

I think this sentiment is exactly right, but just as . . .

Quoting Quokkas (Reply 12):
    It would be interesting to see actual facts and figures produced by the opponents of EK, rather than just innuendo and baseless stories.

. . . it would also be interesting to see some more statistics from EK in this report. Their tax "statistics" are a hypothetical. They say that they pay "the same airport handling fees to dnaka as would a similar high volume airline customer." There is no such "similar high volume airline customer" so that, too, is a hypothetical. I haven't made up my mind about the argument about EK's "unfair advantages," and, frankly, this paper doesn't really help me much.
    I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Revelation

Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:05 pm

Airlines and Subsidy: Our Position

Summary: Mommy, Billy's doing it too!
    Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
    Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
    Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
    Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

SKY1

Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:15 pm

Quoting ElPistolero (Reply 28):
    Alright, then lets put it this way: We live in an age of globalization, yes?

Yeah but globalization is often used to make excuses and/or blackmail when a company wants to get one's own way. You told it: every country is entitled to do what it thinks is best for its people ...so, what's first? Globalization or sovereignty?

Globalization is a term from sociology, sovereignty is an old term from the Public International Law.

What stops Germany from becoming a airline business friendly environment

...What stops Germany from becoming a airline business friendly environment "à la UAE" do u mean? What do u think? maybe the respect of Law? a different History? a different Culture? a different sociology? Germany or any Western country has nothing to do with an Isolated Peninsula between African and Asia where they were lucky enough to discover oil during the 20th century.

Different precedents must be having into account when trying get a conclusion. Globalization doesn't mean "I'm going to do everything that I want to do"

Sovereignty and law is above globalization, we should NOT forget that.
    Time flies! Enjoy life!

PanHAM

Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:33 pm

Fair enough. So what do you propose? That we stop trading with all non-democracies? I am all for it, as long as it applies equally. What next? Ban Chinese products and Air China and cancel all LH flights to China? The democracy angle works well as a rhetoric barb, but then you have to punish all non-democracies equally. It can't just be one but not the other.

I do not propose anything. I just made a statement to show why a country that is ruled by decret has some "advantages" over countries where every single citizen can appeal a decision made by the executive. I would not trade that and I assume you wouldn't either.

It does also not matter who owns a coporation, good example is DB German Rail which is 100 % owned by the government but 100% run like a private company. The same rules apply for PLCs, for family owned businesses , for the few state owned companies left and for any private citizen.

But the statement about subsidies given to LH are plain rubbish and I hjave explained that.