FlyTheWidget
Topic Author

Delta 'Modified' Interior

Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:26 am

In continuing with the subject of Delta interiors and future/possible upgrades, the 737-800, ship 3752, is flying around in scheduled service and I had the opportunity to see and get some shots of what people have been talking about.

The bulkhead geometric pattern blends well with many of the new Sky Club interiors. The FC seats did not have the two tone insert like most do, but the FC and YC seats all had newer/textured/patterned detail to them. (the EC seat pitch and covers had not been installed yet) How long the 'test' is and whether or not what will be decided 'flies' or not for the rest of the fleet, I do not know.

Hopefully some of you will be able to fly on her soon!

FlyTheWidget
Topic Author

RE: Delta 'Modified' Interior

Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:31 am

Alitalia744

Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:13 am

They'd be better served leaving the SkyClub pattern in the SkyClub.

Looks horribly cheap.

At least in my opinion. Surely DL product/marketing must be able to come up with a better interior.
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

luv2fly

Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:39 pm

I think it looks GREAT! I am taking back that it is Delta and looks so modern and dare I say hip.
You can cut the irony with a knife

jetlanta

Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:53 pm

Quoting alitalia744 (Reply 2):
They'd be better served leaving the SkyClub pattern in the SkyClub.

Looks horribly cheap.

At least in my opinion. Surely DL product/marketing must be able to come up with a better interior.

It looks and feels pretty good in person, considering it is really only a slight evolution. New seat cushioning is dramatically better and the F class leather is of significantly finer quality. I thought the bulkhead treatment was pretty cool too, it has a very rich 3D effect in person.

All of that said, I think I'm in the camp of preferring something more dramatically different. The Business Elite cabin, in particular, needs an overhaul on the long-haul fleet.

I think, however that capex for this project is quite low for the size of the fleet, so dramatic changes are probably not in the cards.

[Edited 2012-04-30 06:54:45]

Polot

Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:57 pm

I like it, although it would be nicer if there were more red accents somewhere to break up the blue. The economy class seats in particular look much nicer, less like a school bus seat.

Alitalia744

Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:35 pm

Quoting jetlanta (Reply 4):

It looks and feels pretty good in person, considering it is really only a slight evolution. New seat cushioning is dramatically better and the F class leather is of significantly finer quality. I thought the bulkhead treatment was pretty cool too, it has a very rich 3D effect in person.

All of that said, I think I'm in the camp of preferring something more dramatically different. The Business Elite cabin, in particular, needs an overhaul on the long-haul fleet.

I think, however that capex for this project is quite low for the size of the fleet, so dramatic changes are probably not in the cards.

Jet- thanks, I'll wait to judge fully until I sit in the seats. I think my opinion stems from not fully loving the pattern design and when hearing of a cabin evolution in the works, I wrongfully assumed there would be a bigger adjustment beyond new leather and a bulkhead pattern change.

I was secretly hoping Delta would have taken the opportunity to create an even more premium look through the introduction of some of the core Delta Brand elements (not the SkyClub) and colors OR a complete evolution to a design that evokes emotion and senses (like AF's color use in the long-haul cabins).

Lets see what comes of it all!

jetlanta

Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:52 pm

Quoting alitalia744 (Reply 6):
I was secretly hoping Delta would have taken the opportunity to create an even more premium look through the introduction of some of the core Delta Brand elements (not the SkyClub) and colors OR a complete evolution to a design that evokes emotion and senses (like AF's color use in the long-haul cabins).

Thumbs up to this. This what I'd like to see as well. In fact, I think a lot of people at DL would like the same. Unfortunately, few of them are in the Finance Department.

Alitalia744

Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:16 pm

Quoting jetlanta (Reply 7):

Thumbs up to this. This what I'd like to see as well. In fact, I think a lot of people at DL would like the same. Unfortunately, few of them are in the Finance Department.

It doesn't help that today USAirways and Amtrak use a similar dark blue/light blue leather seat combo....says a lot.

USAirALB

Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:39 pm

The Y seats remind me of US from a distance. Kinda think it's weird there are no adjustable headrests in F.
E135/E140/E145/E70/E75/E90/CR2/CR7/CR9/717/732/733/734/735/73G/738/739/752/753/762/772/77W/319/320/321/333/343

PI4EVER

Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:43 pm

It is definitely an impovement over the blah white bulkhead panels we see now. Subtle power of suggestion with the widget design. Of course, they'll look that way until people start propping their feet with shoes up on them.......or their dirty smelly feet.... even with socks on. Drives me crazy to see that..........my sweet Mother would let you know in a heartbeat "Act like you got some upbringing" that your feet don't go on the furnishings!
Overall, cabin looks fresh, clean and professionally crisp. I second the suggestion to add a splash of red somewhere in there beyond the blankets, but overall a nice change.
watch what you want. you may get it.

panamair

Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:00 pm

Quoting PI4EVER (Reply 10):
Of course, they'll look that way until people start propping their feet with shoes up on them.......or their dirty smelly feet.... even with socks on. Drives me crazy to see that

Reminds me of a 73H transcon from JFK once where my seat mate in 1B put her bare feet up on the wall-mounted PTV, and then proceeded to use her toes to switch channels and adjust the volume....

b727fa

Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:30 pm

That's right up there with JR picking his toenails on the tray table. Class!
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

FlyASAGuy2005

Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:46 pm

Still have yet to see it this ship but FWIW, on the domestic fleet for a/c that have gotten the full EC mod (including seat covers) this is the same pattern being used on the EC seats so my money is on it being rolled out fleet-wide eventually. Otherwise, why spend the money on the EC seats on the 757s (only a/c ive seen them on) to only pull the idea months later.
What gets measured gets done.

ghifty

Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:22 pm

Too bland, airline cabins generally need more colours. IMO, the modded interior is way too sterile and the 3D pattern is distracting. It is definitely better than what they had before.

Even though Gulf Air's new cabin is almost exclusively shades of gray, their aircraft looks more inviting. I think they should just bring back the blue bulkheads (like what was on N3733NZ).

[Edited 2012-04-30 16:24:44]
Fly Delta (Wid)Jets

Av8rDAL

Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:37 pm

Quoting USAirALB (Reply 9):
The Y seats remind me of US from a distance.

I had the "pleasure" of flying US last month and must say I was surprised at the comfort in their economy class seats, especially in the Airbus A319 from ATL-CLT and CLT-ATL (my onward leg to DFW was a 734 and not as good).

Very good cushioning, lumbar support, and supple leather. I've spent many, many hours in the hard blue leather "bus seats" that comprise Delta's slimline economy product - including a 15 hour journey to Australia. US has the upper hand there.
Maintain thine airspeed, lest the Earth rise up and smite thee.

ghifty

Tue May 01, 2012 1:08 am

Not sure if this is o/t, but apparently Delta serves their meals on wooden trays.

by Modhop

Very classy. Does anybody know if DL still has laminate wood in their 767 lavatories? I think it'd be very nice if they keep those.. and *consider* putting something similar on the bulkheads. Wood feels very warm and classy, but it's also clean.. which would, in my opinion, keep in line with their overall image. It'd also look nice with the widget.
Fly Delta (Wid)Jets

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue May 01, 2012 1:14 am

Quoting ghifty (Reply 16):
Not sure if this is o/t, but apparently Delta serves their meals on wooden trays.

Yes they do. They switched to this in late 2011. Don't get too excited, its the same meal just on a faux wood tray.

Quoting ghifty (Reply 16):
Very classy. Does anybody know if DL still has laminate wood in their 767 lavatories? I think it'd be very nice if they keep those.. and *consider* putting something similar on the bulkheads. Wood feels very warm and classy, but it's also clean.. which would, in my opinion, keep in line with their overall image. It'd also look nice with the widget.

They are removing the laminate faux wood floors. There is no way DL would put faux wood grain paneling on their bulkheads it does not fit their branding.

catiii

Tue May 01, 2012 1:31 am

Is the "D E L T A" logo on the rearward facing bulkhead a decal with a shadow, or mounted?

jetlanta

Tue May 01, 2012 1:58 am

Quoting catiii (Reply 18):
Is the "D E L T A" logo on the rearward facing bulkhead a decal with a shadow, or mounted?

Mounted, Looks great.

DL_Mech

Tue May 01, 2012 2:05 am

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 17):
There is no way DL would put faux wood grain paneling on their bulkheads it does not fit their branding.

Some 727s had woodgrain bulkheads until their retirement in 2003. Todays DL is no longer your daddys' DL.

This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

n7371f

Tue May 01, 2012 2:38 am

Quoting jetlanta (Reply 19):
Quoting catiii (Reply 18):

Mounted, Looks great.

I don't get the whole bulkhead thing...unless they're going to install solid class dividers in 2/3rds of the domestic fleet, what's the point of the mounted 'DELTA'? The 319, 320, M9K, M8R are all curtain dividers and what we see here on this 738 isn't going to even come close to working on a cloth divider.

usdcaguy

Tue May 01, 2012 2:48 am

Quoting DL_Mech (Reply 20):
Some 727s had woodgrain bulkheads until their retirement in 2003. Todays DL is no longer your daddys' DL.

Of course...that scheme done as a retro interior would rock. I love the acid trip pattern of the first class seats and the sunset red/orange color scheme in coach. The problem, however, is that one could never replace the class and style of a 727. They don't build planes like that anymore (nor spend that kind of money), so it would be hard to do the look justice, but with retro flight attendant uniforms and attitude, it might just work.

Meanwhile, the new interior misses the mark for the general public and would probably bore the average gay traveler to tears. No color, fantasy, nor, just like this poster stated so eloquently:

Quoting alitalia744 (Reply 6):
a complete evolution to a design that evokes emotion and senses

I would recommend that Delta put in some sort of colorful pattern either as trim on the seats or in the center of the cushions. Red seat number strips on the overheads might be nice. The 3D logo looks elegant, but I'm not sure about the geometric headache. I'm glad they attempted to change the carpeting. The current stuff makes me want to run and get those orange/purple/red curtains from the retro pic and throw them on the floor to cover up the tedium.

mayor

Tue May 01, 2012 2:50 am

Not to change the subject, but this pic of the 727 interior looks like it was taken right after cabin service was finished cleaning it......I mention this because I can see the corrugated paper that was rolled out to protect the carpets while they dried after they were cleaned......also to keep the cleaning fluid ("Argosheen") from being spread to the rest of the floor by feet.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

1337Delta764

Tue May 01, 2012 2:51 am

Quoting usdcaguy (Reply 22):
Red seat number strips on the overheads might be nice.

The Economy Comfort row markers are red.
The Pink Delta 767-400ER - The most beautiful aircraft in the sky

MSPNWA

Tue May 01, 2012 2:56 am

To me the light-colored bulkhead just clashes with blue seating. Just not attractive. Hopefully the new seat cover style will look better though. Can't be any worse than the plain, ugly blue of the current interior. And please, DL, install winged headrests on your domestic fleet. All in all the redesign is like putting lipstick on a pig.

Quoting n7371f (Reply 21):
I don't get the whole bulkhead thing...unless they're going to install solid class dividers in 2/3rds of the domestic fleet, what's the point of the mounted 'DELTA'? The 319, 320, M9K, M8R are all curtain dividers and what we see here on this 738 isn't going to even come close to working on a cloth divider.

Yeah, that is strange. The majority of the fleet won't be capable of the signage. Looks good on the hard divider, but I bet passengers in the last row of first and first row of coach would rather have the comfort of a curtain divider versus a pretty sign.

1337Delta764

Tue May 01, 2012 3:27 am

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 25):
Yeah, that is strange. The majority of the fleet won't be capable of the signage. Looks good on the hard divider, but I bet passengers in the last row of first and first row of coach would rather have the comfort of a curtain divider versus a pretty sign.

Maybe there will be a curtain divider on those aircraft with the Delta logo printed or sewn onto them.

DL_Mech

Tue May 01, 2012 11:22 am

I love the acid trip pattern of the first class seats and the sunset red/orange color scheme in coach.

DL kept those seat covers until 1995 or so. A few more years and it would've been in style again. BTW, I actually like the colorful seats on MH and the green seats on the QF 380.

Quoting mayor (Reply 23):
but this pic of the 727 interior looks like it was taken right after cabin service was finished cleaning it......

Correct. DL no longer uses "argosheen," but I still remember the smell.

RyanairGuru

Tue May 01, 2012 11:39 am

Quoting DL_Mech (Reply 27):
DL kept those seat covers until 1995 or so. A few more years and it would've been in style again

so true...

btw "acid trip pattern" is definitely one of the better descriptors I've seen round these parts  
green seats on the QF 380.

They've grown on me, but my first thought was 'where the h*** did QF pluck the colour green from'?!!!

They're also on the refurbished 747s.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

mayor

Tue May 01, 2012 3:58 pm

Correct. DL no longer uses "argosheen," but I still remember the smell.

We usually didn't have to add any fresh argosheen when we were doing the carpets......just add water and the argosheen was there, trapped in the carpet.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

DLD9S

Tue May 01, 2012 6:18 pm

The bulkhead reminds me a lot of the type TZ used their final years:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Royal S King
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Royal S King

717 727 737 747 757 767 777 DC9 DC10 M80 M90 M11 L10 AB6 333 340 319 320 321 ARJ CRJ EM2 EMJ SF3 146 100 BE1...

gaystudpilot

Tue May 01, 2012 9:03 pm

Meanwhile, the new interior misses the mark for the general public and would probably bore the average gay traveler to tears.

Pass the tissue please. The color choices are cold and materials are cheap looking. DL could certainly do better, especially in the premium cabins. I think they could make significant improvements without losing the clean crisp look they want.

Love the idea of a retro interior.

thegoldenargosy

Tue May 01, 2012 10:30 pm

Is the picture of the 727 interior a Western interior?

DL_Mech

Tue May 01, 2012 10:46 pm

Quoting thegoldenargosy (Reply 32):
Is the picture of the 727 interior a Western interior?

No, that is one of two DL 727 interior schemes. The Western 727s had woodgrain bulkheads as well, but had Dark Blue leather in F/C and blue and gray seats with a checkerboard pattern in coach. These seats can still be seen (I think) in some of the F/A training devices in ATL. The sidewalls had a tree bark pattern on them.

Western 727 seats at 1:37:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICabEHU5_VY

[Edited 2012-05-01 16:43:11]

ghifty

Tue May 01, 2012 10:58 pm

That looks lovely! It's tiring seeing a white/gray bulkhead. The fact that the white/gray bulkhead now *pops out* isn't really a plus.

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 17):
They are removing the laminate faux wood floors. There is no way DL would put faux wood grain paneling on their bulkheads it does not fit their branding.

Darn.. it wouldn't fit? Really? My overall impression from their W+K ads, and flights with them over the last two years, is that they're trying to be a clean and simple airline. Wood, in my opinion, follows that quite nicely.. maybe a light oak? One can always dream.
Fly Delta (Wid)Jets

1337Delta764

Tue May 01, 2012 11:00 pm

Quoting ghifty (Reply 34):
Darn.. it wouldn't fit? Really? My overall impression from their W+K ads, and flights with them over the last two years, is that they're trying to be a clean and simple airline. Wood, in my opinion, follows that quite nicely.. maybe a light oak? One can always dream.

From what I heard, the faux wood floors in the lavatories were difficult to keep clean.

GSPSPOT

Tue May 01, 2012 11:11 pm

Quoting panamair (Reply 11):
Reminds me of a 73H transcon from JFK once where my seat mate in 1B put her bare feet up on the wall-mounted PTV, and then proceeded to use her toes to switch channels and adjust the volume....

There's WAAAAAY too much of that kind of crap going on in FC these days. It's totally off-putting. I don't even want to be in the same CABIN as people who do that.

Back to the subject.... Wouldn't it be better to put the logo on a bulkhead that faces BACKWARD, so the seated pax can actually see/enjoy it??
Finally made it to an airline mecca!

AeroWesty

Tue May 01, 2012 11:24 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 28):
btw "acid trip pattern" is definitely one of the better descriptors I've seen round these parts

Ahh, the days when Flower Power ruled the skies. There were some pretty bizarre seat coverings back then.

TWA Interiors From The 70s (Flower Power!) (by CF-CPI Feb 7 2006 in Civil Aviation)

I remember stepping onto a DL 72S in the late 80s/early 90s and it still had that gaudy interior. I bought a very cheap ticket on Priceline a decade later, and it was still in use! 72S flights up and back PDX-SLC-PHX. Quite the shock at 6am.

The new 'modified' interior looks nice enough, but all the domestic airlines are beginning to look like one another, it seems. What's the screen size on the PTVs on the walls? They look rather small for this day and age.
International Homo of Mystery

b727fa

Fri May 04, 2012 12:43 am

I liked the "hardwood" in the lav.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

L1011

Fri May 04, 2012 1:02 am

I am getting tired of so many blue or gray interiors. I recently flew on an Aer Lingus A330 with green seat covers and it looked very nice. I've also been on Malaysia Airlines and love their colorful seat covers. By the way, Delta's seat cover design before they went to leather is used on chairs in the Sky Clubs, except they are green instead of blue.

Bob Bradley
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

DL_Mech

Fri May 04, 2012 1:10 am

Quoting L1011 (Reply 39):
By the way, Delta's seat cover design before they went to leather is used on chairs in the Sky Clubs, except they are green instead of blue.

That material was in consideration for C class seats in the late 90's. It looked very nice with a British Racing Green Leather headrest.

FlyASAGuy2005

Fri May 04, 2012 4:18 am

Quoting B727FA (Reply 38):
I liked the "hardwood" in the lav.

It looked pretty neat when they were faced installed but after only a year they looked pretty crappy. A lot of the CR9s still have it and the laminate or whatever it really is seems to always be peeling and it doesn't wear very well nor is the cleaning very easy. On all a/c, it seemed more black/brown that light brown when they were first put down.

It was a neat idea in theory but it became clear that the flooring would need to be replaced quite often and that's why they got rid of it.

n7371f

Fri May 04, 2012 4:26 am

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 41):
A lot of the CR9s still have it and the laminate or whatever it really is seems to always be peeling and it doesn't wear very well nor is the cleaning very easy. On all a/c, it seemed more black/brown that light brown when they were first put down.

...now if we could just do away with the all-blue bathroom basin on the CR9 from the PMDLX fleet  

The new bathroom flooring is showing up quickly. It's got a tad of softness to it, almost spongy. Looks better to me.

FlyASAGuy2005

Fri May 04, 2012 5:01 am

Quoting n7371f (Reply 42):
...now if we could just do away with the all-blue bathroom basin on the CR9 from the PMDLX fleet

Not sure what that's all about. It's not a BBD thing because i've never seen it on US's CR9s..

Quoting n7371f (Reply 42):
The new bathroom flooring is showing up quickly. It's got a tad of softness to it, almost spongy. Looks better to me.

Much better IMO. I mean it's plain but..it's just a lav floor lol. I think the goal was to go with something that would wear very well and is super easy to clean and keep up its appearance.

b727fa

Fri May 04, 2012 6:54 pm

I remember when they first came out in the lav we were all saying how cool the galley floors would look in the "hardwood!" Almost "homey." But they DO muck up REALLY fast. It was a cool idea!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos