TK787
Topic Author

Turkish Aviation May 2012

Tue May 01, 2012 10:18 am

Greetings TK Aviation fans,
A very happy May to all from Istanbul.

Again, I have been very busy but just wanted to start the thread and leave it to you guys;
Great news about TK flying to IAH,

Welcome and let's get ready for a great summer in Turkish Aviation..

ankaraflyjet

RE: Turkish Aviation May 2012

Tue May 01, 2012 8:40 pm

AnadoluJet seems to have suspended flights to STN as of April 30th 2012that was re-instated on April 1st, 2012.

Anybody has further information about AnadoluJet's inconsistent international service recently.

On another matter LH speaks about adding a 4th daily flight to ESB (likely to be second addition to ESB FRA). Anybody has any news on that?

Last but no least, TK started ESB Baghdad as of today. Interesting to see how the loads are going to be.

ESB has now direct service in the MiddleEast/CIS region to Baku, Kabil, Baghdad, Erbil, Teheran, Nakhcıvan, Batumi, Doha plus seasonal flights to Jeddah, Medina by Saudia.

Interesting to see if there will be further additions to the list. (RJ to Amman?)

ASA

Wed May 02, 2012 12:55 am

Greetings everyone - and thanks to TK787 for keeping this thread going!

Well, for me, I am relishing the fact that TK's Dhaka Bangladesh (DAC) service is picking up pace quickly ... and from a 4x weekly IST-KHI-DAC service launched in about 18 months ago, it has gone to non-stop first, and now to be 5x weekly from W12. I'm sure that TK will pick up more Europe and US bound traffic from Dhaka and this route will go daily by W13!

About the other news regarding the IAH service ... how reliable is that? So far, we are getting conflicting signals from few websites and other threads. This will surely be a big boost, if true, and a big cock flight with EK and QR for South Asia bound traffic. My uncle lives in Houston, and I'm sure he'll be happy to have some competitive fares to DAC ... be it EK, QR, or TK.  

stylo777

Wed May 02, 2012 3:17 am

Quoting ankaraflyjet (Reply 1):

Quite unlikely to add another FRA/MUC-ESB at the moment and under given circumstances, but I heart only good things about the new FRA flight (loads, profitability)

TK787
Topic Author

Wed May 02, 2012 2:10 pm

Few more TK notes;
Couple of weeks ago I flew JFK-IST on TK after 4 years of DL flying.
-First time on the TK 77W, and of course I upgraded myself at the airport to Comfort class for a mere $282.
-It was a mostly full flight in all classes.
-It was strange that we had the emergency video played and doors closed and all..and 30 minutes before the first announcement. There was no interaction between the crew and the Comfort class pax, robots serving. Eventually a very nice apology from the cockpit about the one hour delay.
-No one asked me to turn off my iphone or noise cancelling headphones, nor checked if I was buckled up during taxi. When I realized that we were actually taxiing, I turned all of them, buckled up. Still there were people in the aisles during taxi, including Mr. Acun in the Comfort class walking to the front of the plane to get a litre of water to his seat.
-20min. after take off warm towel service
-I was disappointed that the service standards were par with Kamil Koc bus service; body language, communication skills, language used...
-Then came Hazelnuts, "French or Turkish wine?" service and Canapes.
-When it was time for the main course I asked for 2 glasses of wine knowing there won't be a another pass.
-Food was OK tasting and portions small. No second time bread roll service.
-I was never asked if I needed anything else, FA's just drop the tray and come back and pick up the tray.
-Few FA's tried a bit harder, smiling and I personally told them to keep up the good work and the smiles.
-3 hours into the flight bottles of water served, then second meal service before landing.

All and all just an average experience, I was a bit bummed about the Comfort Class. Seats were OK for the long haul, definitely better than Y class, but nothing to write home about. I guess my expectations were a bit too high.
It is ECONOMY Plus, with bigger seats and pitch. That is it.

I kept myself busy with work and ipod, didn't try the IFE.

I will definitely try to fly on the way back as long as it is only $282.

Last remark, I had to change the return flight date. The rule is if you are not a Smiles and Miles member you have to go to a main TK office to be able to do this. It took 1.5 hrs of my time to go to Kiziltoprak office to pay 100 euros for a date change. Why can't be done online, in minutes, like DL??

ISTGRU

Sat May 05, 2012 5:48 am

TK787, Im just back yesterday from three TK round trips in Y in the past six weeks - KBP - SIN, KBP - BEY and KBP - BKK. Not meaning to nit pick and I am big fan of the airline, but here are some notes from my experiences:

- Service is robotic at best. Interaction with passengers is stilted and often quite rude. In my experience the guys are far more professional than the girls. As has been stated before, English language skills are pretty average.
- Im a big fan of the open gate arrangement at IST, so much better than the previous set up with bottlenecks forming at individual gate security. However the transit security area is chaotic and generally an unpleasant experience. At the very least they need to make sure that all security lines are open during peak times. The separate security check for US, UK etc also creates confusion.
- All flights departed between 60 to 90 minutes late (except for those leaving Asia), not a big issue but it always made for stressful connections in IST. Also not a big issue for the IST - Asia flights as we always made up the time.
- With the delays I never got to enjoy the Do and Co Lounge on outbound flights, however did on inbound flights. Its such a highlight and even better now that extra space has been opened up. If I can find fault, there are not enough showers for the number of long haul transit passengers. Perhaps the individual sleeping rooms should be converted into extra shower rooms - those rooms take up a lot of space and if your connection is so long then go to a hotel.
- In Y, I have to say that the 340s are a great ride and in my view even more comfortable than the 77Ws and 333s. The pitch and seats are great. There is no reason why these planes shouldn't stay around, they are a nice passenger experience.
- Food remains the highlight, ex IST its nothing less than outstanding.
- Bathrooms are never maintained and always even up in a disastrous state.
- Planet IFE - yes, there are lots of channels but its all extremely boring and ho hum. IFE is clearly a hard one for airlines and some airlines do it better than others (in my view, BA, VS and CX have an interesting mix of content. CX also includes full series of TV dramas, and not just random episodes, which is great)
- Lots of Australians flying on the flights from BKK and SIN. Turkey is flavor of the month for Australian travelers, TK would no doubt easily fill up a plane to SYD or MEL, however the TG code share arrangements may make better economic sense for now.
- A large number of passengers to SIN and BKK are actually continuing to CGK and HCM, I wonder if either of these will go non stop any time soon.
- Im currently on assignment in KBP and there are huge numbers of connecting passengers from KBP (and other Ukrainian cities) to Asian services. Ukraine has a large population - over 40 million - and has a large number of super rich and a decent sized middle class in major cities. TK is becoming a very dominant airline in Ukraine.
- A funny comment, I connected in SIN to Silkair to DRW and there was an 80 minute delay. I was given meal vouchers, a phone card and asked if I needed any further assistance. Asia service levels are on another level!

So it all remains a mixed experience covering the spectrum from fantastic to poor, and while it will clearly take a few years to work out the IST issues, a few smiles and pleasantries from the staff would go a long way in improving the overall TK experience.

tcm

Sat May 05, 2012 9:44 am

In a nutshell, TK has a good hard product, good catering (although repetitive), average cabin service (Better if you're Turkish in J/C) and mostly poor ground service (including outstation handlers). It's not all doom and gloom nor is it heavens sunshine. 4-Stars in the cabin, 3-stars on the ground (5-stars for the IST fast track and lounge) and 2-Stars during IRROPS.

On a different note, Digiturk and TK have signed an agreement to broadcast live Turkish Super League football/soccer matches over the Planet IFE system on their 77Ws. I hope this will not cause any diversions 

OA260

Sat May 05, 2012 12:01 pm

Quoting tcm (Reply 6):
In a nutshell, TK has a good hard product, good catering (although repetitive), average cabin service (Better if you're Turkish in J/C)

I know lots of people have different ideas etc.. but I can honestly say I have always felt most welcome onboard TK in all classes as a foreigner. Good food/lovely lounge at IST and great seats also never had any issue with the crew. Will concede to the ground issues but never had that myself. In all my telephone calls and emails to their center I have always been satisfied and handled in a professional manner.

tcm

Sat May 05, 2012 12:41 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 7):
I know lots of people have different ideas etc.. but I can honestly say I have always felt most welcome onboard TK in all classes as a foreigner. Good food/lovely lounge at IST and great seats also never had any issue with the crew. Will concede to the ground issues but never had that myself. In all my telephone calls and emails to their center I have always been satisfied and handled in a professional manner.

How many TK flights have you taken over the last 12 months?

Steelyman

Sat May 05, 2012 1:24 pm

Quoting tcm (Reply 8):
How many TK flights have you taken over the last 12 months?

I have taken around 20 TK flights year to date, and the only problem I experienced is 1 was delayed for 15 minutes. Whenever flying, I always had good experiences on board and on ground. I've been flying in/out from HKG, PEK, SHA, NRT, KIX with TK and service in those stations was awesome as usual.
BRGDS, Mike

tcm

Sat May 05, 2012 3:02 pm

Quoting Steelyman (Reply 9):
I have taken around 20 TK flights year to date, and the only problem I experienced is 1 was delayed for 15 minutes. Whenever flying, I always had good experiences on board and on ground. I've been flying in/out from HKG, PEK, SHA, NRT, KIX with TK and service in those stations was awesome as usual.

Only one delay in 20 flights over the last year with TK and awesome TK ground service (either in IST or outstations) is just not possible. You either have people bashing an airline or over glorify it; the truth is usually in between. I stick with my earlier assessment as a TK regular managing an average of 2 return flights a month accross their extensive network.

leftyboarder

Sat May 05, 2012 4:22 pm

I arrived last night on TK from BEY. The flight there and back both were almost on time - 30 min delay at most, and time was made up in the air anyway. TK service was good overall, although catering on this short sector is same as TK domestic. Of course with loads of 70% there and 50% back it wasn't very crowded.

However, as much as TAV tries to make the place better (they renovated part of the arrivals as far as I can tell), with almost 25-30 flights arriving in an hour even around 11pm, IST arrivals was a circus. My luggage was supposed to come out of carousel 8, which had 3 other flights unloading still.... And with no public transportation at midnight, it was HAVATAŞ for me. We had to wait for half an hour (which, let's admit, HAVAŞ never did) and then people put their luggages in the trunk and got on, only to realize there wasn't enough space for everyone on the bus. Istanbul and TK need a new airport with good links to the city like yesterday!

TK787
Topic Author

Sat May 05, 2012 6:08 pm

Quoting tcm (Reply 6):
In a nutshell, TK has a good hard product, good catering (although repetitive), average cabin service (Better if you're Turkish in J/C) and mostly poor ground service (including outstation handlers). It's not all doom and gloom nor is it heavens sunshine. 4-Stars in the cabin, 3-stars on the ground (5-stars for the IST fast track and lounge) and 2-Stars during IRROPS.

Totally agree!

Quoting tcm (Reply 6):
n a different note, Digiturk and TK have signed an agreement to broadcast live Turkish Super League football/soccer matches over the Planet IFE system on their 77Ws. I hope this will not cause any diversions

I will report back tomorrow how it goes!

stylo777

Sat May 05, 2012 6:19 pm

After TK had moved two 738 to SAW now KK also announced some domestic flights from this airport. Starting 15JUL they will fly daily SAW-BJV and SAW-DLM on days 567.
http://cmss.atlasjet.com/tr/kampanyalar/SabihaGokcendebirilk

this is quite interesting in my oppinion as they move right into PG/XQ/AJA territory. I'm pretty sure that they will fill the planes on these two sectors with usually high loads; however, the question is how this can be sustained or even developed?

With the chronically delayed status of IST, I see a lot of potential at the Asian side on the short- and midterm. The winner will clearly be PG with their single type and pretty young 738 fleet.

Quoting Steelyman (Reply 9):

lucky you! the majority (over 80%) of my 35+ TK flights this year (mainly domestic and Germany) were delayed.

OA260

Sat May 05, 2012 8:48 pm

Quoting tcm (Reply 8):

Since December YYZ-IST J Class as I reported in the TR section and connection to TK IST-ATH . Many TK flights over the years so I have followed the product closely. Also feedback from friends who fly them on a regular basis to the Far East from the UK in J . So whilst I am not as experienced as say my product knowledge on LX ie: 100+ flights on their J product I have a good insight into it and will have a lot more coming up which I will of course give my feedback on via here and my TRs .  

ankaraflyjet

Sun May 06, 2012 1:01 am

Quoting stylo777 (Reply 3):

The 4th daily ex ESB flight by LH was mentioned by LH's Turkey GM so it is not my personal guess.

In the same speech he also mentioned two other news that was putting widebody a/c on IST FRA flights and to add SAW to LH network until congesiton at IST is eased.

leftyboarder

Sun May 06, 2012 6:30 am

Quoting ankaraflyjet (Reply 15):
In the same speech he also mentioned two other news that was putting widebody a/c on IST FRA flights and to add SAW to LH network until congesiton at IST is eased.

It probably doesn't make much sense for some airlines flying to Istanbul once a day, but I never understood why AF, BA, LH, SU never considered doing this, given that their passengers do not necessarily connect to anywhere in Turkey. TK flies to STN, LGW, LHR so why wouldn't they try SAW?

tcm

Sun May 06, 2012 7:14 am

Quoting leftyboarder (Reply 16):
TK flies to STN, LGW, LHR so why wouldn't they try SAW?

I thought they have given up STN and now only KK and PG do? LH should be able to make it from SAW not sure about AF and BA though.

TK787
Topic Author

Sun May 06, 2012 8:04 am

I got a IM about Air Blue leasing 2 TK 340s starting mid June, can anyone else confirm this?
Thanks,

tk1244

Sun May 06, 2012 9:37 am

Quoting TK787 (Reply 18):

Here is what I found at: historyofpia.com:

Quote:
Well I was waiting for someone to start this thread. I was told of this last month that 2 A343's are being leased from TK in an all Y configuration. I questioned the practicality of these planes and was told 'we have done our homework completely on these' and mid-June is the expected arrival date. I will try to get some pre-delivery pics and post them here.

[Edited 2012-05-06 02:41:26]
"The future is in the skies. For any nation that cannot defend its skies will never be confident of its future." Atatürk

ZK-NBT

Sun May 06, 2012 11:07 am

Do TK plan on flying to Australia SYD or MEL? There was a post on the last NZ thread about new airlines to NZ and TK sort of came up. I would think any such service would operate via Australia if it ever happened.

New Zealand Aviation Thread Part 113 (by cchan Apr 1 2012 in Civil Aviation) Posts 193 to 202ish

Maybe its a codeshare?

TK787
Topic Author

Sun May 06, 2012 1:49 pm

Quoting TK1244 (Reply 19):

Thanks,

few weeks ago I paid 200 euros to upgrade to Comfort class, $282.
today they charged me 210 euros in IST, but due to euro/dollar business it was only $271. Go figure.

TK787
Topic Author

Sun May 06, 2012 4:53 pm

Well, this is awesome.
After a 65 minute taxiing parade, finally in the air and just watched "live" Galatasaray score its second goal against Besiktas.
Well done TK!!!
Always 4-5 stars in the air.

tcm

Sun May 06, 2012 5:01 pm

Quoting TK787 (Reply 22):

Well, this is awesome.
After a 65 minute taxiing parade, finally in the air and just watched "live" Galatasaray score its second goal against Besiktas.
Well done TK!!!
Always 4-5 stars in the air.

Congratulations! Must be a nice feeling watching your team play live above the clouds 

[Edited 2012-05-06 10:02:11]

OA260

Sun May 06, 2012 5:03 pm

Quoting TK787 (Reply 22):

Thats a great amenity . Well done TK  

ankaraflyjet

Sun May 06, 2012 5:05 pm

Quoting leftyboarder (Reply 16):

AF, BA and SU should not only add SAW but also add ESB and ADB to their network.

TK787
Topic Author

Sun May 06, 2012 5:46 pm

Too bad, FAs are not promoting that live soccer is on. By the way light load on TK11, 20% full on economy.
Not sure about other classes.

emrecan

Sun May 06, 2012 6:53 pm

TK787; the result is 2-2  

We are Besiktas, we like to surprise  

HB-IWC

Mon May 07, 2012 4:37 am

Quoting ZK-NBT (Reply 20):
Do TK plan on flying to Australia SYD or MEL?

TK has previously talked about flying to Australia via Jakarta, then via Manila and then again via Jakarta. But then, TK has done a lot of talking about international expansion, little of which has actually realized. We are, for instance, still waiting for the long announced GRU EZE tag. I believe that at this point, an additional North America route is the most likely to actually happen.

mandala499

Mon May 07, 2012 5:42 am

Did TK CGK-SIN-IST//IST-CDG vv last year and CGK-SIN-IST//IST-HAM vv this year... in Y class.

Quoting TK787 (Reply 4):
-It was a mostly full flight in all classes.

Same. FULL! (except for SIN-CGK sectors).

Quoting TK787 (Reply 4):
-It was strange that we had the emergency video played and doors closed and all..and 30 minutes before the first announcement. There was no interaction between the crew and the Comfort class pax, robots serving. Eventually a very nice apology from the cockpit about the one hour delay.

Had this problem whenever leaving IST.

Quoting TK787 (Reply 4):
-No one asked me to turn off my iphone or noise cancelling headphones, nor checked if I was buckled up during taxi. When I realized that we were actually taxiing, I turned all of them, buckled up. Still there were people in the aisles during taxi, including Mr. Acun in the Comfort class walking to the front of the plane to get a litre of water to his seat.

They either don't check, or they become nazis about it.I was video-ing taxiing out. One said switch it off, another said, sure, take a video!

Quoting TK787 (Reply 4):
-I was disappointed that the service standards were par with Kamil Koc bus service; body language, communication skills, language used...

Very Turkish issue for the unfamiliar. I had a colleague complaining endlessly about it (last year). But a little effort from our end, goes a long way. Yes, they rush the service like they need to serve a full meal on a transBorporus flight from IST to SAW... but you don't ask, you don't get (but this is typically Turkey from my experience, it's just the way it is... though it's hard explaining it to other people!)

Quoting TK787 (Reply 4):
-Then came Hazelnuts, "French or Turkish wine?" service and Canapes.

Oh God! The magical nuts!    And "Selection of Turkish wine"... and it turn out to be... French!   

Quoting TK787 (Reply 4):
-When it was time for the main course I asked for 2 glasses of wine knowing there won't be a another pass.

So it's the same in Comfort Class? Oh dear! I wonder if J would be the same too?

Quoting TK787 (Reply 4):
-I was never asked if I needed anything else, FA's just drop the tray and come back and pick up the tray.

Did that ask for all that I needed (but don't try with coffee/tea)...

Quoting TK787 (Reply 4):
-Few FA's tried a bit harder, smiling and I personally told them to keep up the good work and the smiles.

Yes, those ones shine!

Quoting TK787 (Reply 4):
-3 hours into the flight bottles of water served, then second meal service before landing.

Seems standard on TK, don't doze off too quickly after the meal, U'll miss the water bottles.
But just press the call button, they're there in no time.
The breakfast before landing westbound to IST is err... killer!

Quoting ISTGRU (Reply 5):
However the transit security area is chaotic and generally an unpleasant experience.

I guess am not the only one to notice that! So they changed the security flow arrangement now, but still the same old little single escalator going up!   

The separate security check for US, UK etc also creates confusion.

WAIT... there was one?

- All flights departed between 60 to 90 minutes late (except for those leaving Asia), not a big issue but it always made for stressful connections in IST. Also not a big issue for the IST - Asia flights as we always made up the time.

My flight CGK-IST was late by over 1hr. And IST-CGK was late by 2hrs... so the delays are all in IST. The annoying thing is that going eastbound, one has 1 - 2hrs transfer time, and that got blown away with the delays of the flight picking me up to IST. It's a mad rush as we arrive, and the first departures board I could come across is after security... the mad rush was met with "DELAYED" for the ongoing flight... *dang*

- Food remains the highlight, ex IST its nothing less than outstanding.

Agree!

- Bathrooms are never maintained and always even up in a disastrous state.

One thing that peeves me off big time on IST, they clean all the male bathroom in departures at the same time !!!!!! On the last flight, I went through the one above the food court, the ones on the shopping area, and two near my gate, all had the "sorry, being cleaned" sign... go in, and there was no one cleaning it!

- A funny comment, I connected in SIN to Silkair to DRW and there was an 80 minute delay. I was given meal vouchers, a phone card and asked if I needed any further assistance. Asia service levels are on another level!

Leaving HAM, my flight was delayed, the TK check in staff, gave me my meal voucher and apologized and asked if I needed further assistance (and she assured me I'd meet my connecting flight)...

An oh, is it a TK thing to have the cabin roasting hot during cruise?   

TK and IST, nice, I really like it, but needs a lot of "small issues" to iron out.

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

LAXintl

Mon May 07, 2012 6:00 am

THY signed a special prorate agreement with Air Canada to allow for domestic connections via YYZ. This is a good step in building the AC relationship, and jointly providing competitive through fares.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

TK787
Topic Author

Mon May 07, 2012 11:49 am

Quoting mandala499 (Reply 29):
An oh, is it a TK thing to have the cabin roasting hot during cruise?

At one point last nights flight I took my socks off, to cool off.

Comfort class had maybe 15 pax last night, all empty seats got a sticker at the head rest saying "Comfort Class Pax Only" to keep the Y class pax move forward during flight. It worked except for two.
There were 2 FAs serving us, and they did everything they could to please. Still I had to ask for 2 glasses of wine at once and two rolls of bread knowing they will never come back. They never came back for more water or drinks service I had to go forward to replenish.
Also strange that they served the second meal 2.5-3 hours before landing. I think they could have waited a bit longer since there were not so many pax.

To my surprise passport control at IST was a breeze. No lines during security check, no lines going to Gate 219 for the US departure. Still we taxied for an hour to get to the head of 17R, during which I can only count a dozen planes taking off. Dozen in almost an hour (No LODOS, no rain, nothing)???? When our pilot said we are number 6, I could see all the planes taxiing down 17R. This signals runway change. "Wing" was in front of us, he can confirm. So all these planes used 17R like a taxiway to head toward the FLyinn and turn toward North to 35R. At this point I was surprised to see a 738 cut in front of us.
Why is there so much space between take offs on 35R???

On other notes, Comfort Class rows 17 and 19 has one less window next to seats.
One of the smoothest Atlantic crossings/ Landings I've ever had last night.
Halfway into the flight I noticed a Virgin Atlantic A340 above us, very close. In about 1/2 hour it was behind us thanks to our GE90s.

leftyboarder

Mon May 07, 2012 11:54 am

Turkish Airlines starts Aalborg / Billund triangular flights from Istanbul on July 16th. Who would've thought 10 years ago when we barely had a few weekly flights to CPH, that we could one day fly to much smaller Danish cities direct?

OA260

Mon May 07, 2012 12:01 pm

Quoting TK787 (Reply 31):
At one point last nights flight I took my socks off, to cool off.

Yes I notice the cabin is very warm but I personally like it . Better than being cold. Its all down to personal taste. Hard to please everyone I guess. I was once on a flight from hell where I was at the bulkhead and came off the flight frozen and with a cold ! No joke. 10 hours like that is horrible.

Also strange that they served the second meal 2.5-3 hours before landing.

Thats a bit too early. 90 mins would be more ideal. Maybe they wanted it out of the way which of course is not very passenger friendly.

TK787
Topic Author

Mon May 07, 2012 2:16 pm

I haven't seen this before;
http://airlineroute.net/2012/04/27/tk-dacjfk-w12/

TK to operate the 2nd daily JFK flights with A333s W12.
With no connection possibilities West bound that late at night at JFK, TK 11 can not support a 77W year round.
Does anyone have the load numbers for TK 1/2 compared with TK11/12?
With UA coming shortly and TK starting the seasonal 3rd flight JFK-IST is going to have a lot of supply.
Thanks.

stylo777

Mon May 07, 2012 4:19 pm

To my surprise passport control at IST was a breeze. No lines during security check, no lines going to Gate 219 for the US departure. Still we taxied for an hour to get to the head of 17R, during which I can only count a dozen planes taking off. Dozen in almost an hour (No LODOS, no rain, nothing)???? When our pilot said we are number 6, I could see all the planes taxiing down 17R. This signals runway change. "Wing" was in front of us, he can confirm. So all these planes used 17R like a taxiway to head toward the FLyinn and turn toward North to 35R. At this point I was surprised to see a 738 cut in front of us.
Why is there so much space between take offs on 35R???

everytime 17R is in use for departures the aircraft has to wait until inbound traffic on 23 touchs down. this is why it takes so long.

TK787
Topic Author

Mon May 07, 2012 4:37 pm

Quoting stylo777 (Reply 35):
everytime 17R is in use for departures the aircraft has to wait until inbound traffic on 23 touchs down. this is why it takes so long.

I get that... Kind of..
But why wait so long between planes when using 35R??

emrecan

Mon May 07, 2012 5:38 pm

Would you imagine this 10 years ago? Great TK!

http://youtu.be/o-NnEM5BEvs

TK787
Topic Author

Mon May 07, 2012 6:16 pm

Quoting emrecan (Reply 37):

I was on the plane, I didn't see any of these camera/LigTV people. Looks like they were in Y and J.
Lucky me!

To be fair, LiveTV is not that new. We are used to it in NYC, JetBlue started liveTV on its flights more than 10 years ago. Still, doing it over the Atlantic is another thing. This will be huge for TK if they could multiply the LiveTV channel lineup and keep wi-fi free. This alone could help fill those Comfort seats.
I had the best time on the plane last night, no one sitting next to me, in front of me, behind me. LiveTV and free wifi kept me busy for many hours. Congrats to TK!

TK787
Topic Author

Mon May 07, 2012 7:58 pm

Quoting TK787 (Reply 38):
I was on the plane, I didn't see any of these camera/LigTV people.

My mistake, the film crew was on TK1.

By the way, TK 3/4, 3rd daily nonstop to JFK with A333 starts 3 weeks from now.
IST 7:25am -JFK 11:20am
JFK 12:50pm - IST 5:40am

[Edited 2012-05-07 13:17:00]

tozbek

Mon May 07, 2012 8:55 pm

Kokpit Aviation TV Program's stories on 6th May 2012:

The first 747-8 for Lufthansa:
http://youtu.be/hJc1NIzoRuc

Free Bird's new aircraft delivery:
http://youtu.be/DWTQ6NQyyQQ

THY's first flight to Bremen:
http://youtu.be/oK7BN6U_F6A

TK787
Topic Author

Tue May 08, 2012 7:19 am

Haven't decided on the 3rd airport in Istanbul, now talking about a 4th????
http://www.airkule.com/default.asp?page=haber&id=11643

Turkish350XWB

Tue May 08, 2012 8:16 am

Quoting TK787 (Reply 41):

WTF!! They don't know what they want. First talking about Silivri, now it is european part/black sea coast. The airport was to be 100-120 mio pax a year, now they are talking about 2 runways and 60 mio pax capacity. Do these people have any clue about what they are doing??? Governing a country is not comparable to lego...

OA260

Tue May 08, 2012 1:45 pm

Quoting tozbek (Reply 40):
The first 747-8 for Lufthansa:
http://youtu.be/hJc1NIzoRuc

Great video thanks for the link  

robcol99

Tue May 08, 2012 9:18 pm

Quoting Turkish350XWB (Reply 42):

The minister was actually on a TV interview which I believe this report was generated from. He said that initial capacity of the airport will be around 60 mil with additional second phase allowing a max design of 150 mil. He also said that one day even a 4th airport might be necesarry.

Turkish internet media  Smile

[Edited 2012-05-08 14:43:27]

Turkish350XWB

Tue May 08, 2012 10:16 pm

Quoting robcol99 (Reply 44):

I didn't watch the video to be honest...

Even if IST gets closed (which makes sense), the 3rd airport and SAW could together handle 200 million pax. That should be enough, no? I mean even London has around 120 million. Thats massive...

robcol99

Wed May 09, 2012 10:16 am

Quoting Turkish350XWB (Reply 45):
Even if IST gets closed (which makes sense), the 3rd airport and SAW could together handle 200 million pax. That should be enough, no? I mean even London has around 120 million. Thats massive...

I agree that a notion of 4th airport is an exaggeration, not only because of pax numbers but also due to the proximity of Corlu and Izmit Cengiz Topel airports.

Anyways, on a brighter note, BJV new terminal is almost complete. It looks fantastic from the pictures I've seen.

leftyboarder

Wed May 09, 2012 11:39 am

Quoting robcol99 (Reply 46):
Anyways, on a brighter note, BJV new terminal is almost complete. It looks fantastic from the pictures I've seen.

Now if only DHMI quit the practice of building separate domestic and international terminals at airports like BJV at least. Most of us will never see the inside of this building; only charter / package holiday tourists will. We lowly domestic passengers will continue using the barn-like old terminals  

[Edited 2012-05-09 04:39:55]

TK787
Topic Author

Wed May 09, 2012 11:43 am

http://boeing-test-flights.blogspot.com/
TC-JYE 739ER first flight yesterday.
2 x 739ER already flying for TK, 2 are going through fuel tank retrofits, this is number 5.

wing

Wed May 09, 2012 11:59 am

Interestingly small world,living thousands of kms away yet you can get as close as meters without knowing.And internet makes the world turn even faster.I still get amazed by these maybe because I am becoming "old" and "fashioned".I was in the plane directly infront of TK 787's. and I learnt it 1 minutes after he checked in.  

I can comfirm that 17 R departures changed due to wind went in within the limits of tailwind departures(not a compleate change in the direction) and that 737 had a restricted slot time so he got priority.

And one rumor for all of you.Last night I flew a Greek captain in the cockpit back from Athens.According to him, Mr.Kotil stated to foreign pilots in a routine meeting that THY was searching for additional 777's and 8 B747-800's immediately.And all the contracts of the foreign pilots now changed with permanent contracts.

OK I havent heard this with my ears but the captain says it is told in the meeting by Mr.Kotil.Lets wait and see.
follow me on my facebook page" captain wing's journey log"