TK787, Im just back yesterday from three TK
round trips in Y in the past six weeks - KBP
. Not meaning to nit pick and I am big fan of the airline, but here are some notes from my experiences:
- Service is robotic at best. Interaction with passengers is stilted and often quite rude. In my experience the guys are far more professional than the girls. As has been stated before, English language skills are pretty average.
- Im a big fan of the open gate arrangement at IST
, so much better than the previous set up with bottlenecks forming at individual gate security. However the transit security area is chaotic and generally an unpleasant experience. At the very least they need to make sure that all security lines are open during peak times. The separate security check for US, UK etc also creates confusion.
- All flights departed between 60 to 90 minutes late (except for those leaving Asia), not a big issue but it always made for stressful connections in IST
. Also not a big issue for the IST
- Asia flights as we always made up the time.
- With the delays I never got to enjoy the Do and Co Lounge on outbound flights, however did on inbound flights. Its such a highlight and even better now that extra space has been opened up. If I can find fault, there are not enough showers for the number of long haul transit passengers. Perhaps the individual sleeping rooms should be converted into extra shower rooms - those rooms take up a lot of space and if your connection is so long then go to a hotel.
- In Y, I have to say that the 340s are a great ride and in my view even more comfortable than the 77Ws and 333s. The pitch and seats are great. There is no reason why these planes shouldn't stay around, they are a nice passenger experience.
- Food remains the highlight, ex IST
its nothing less than outstanding.
- Bathrooms are never maintained and always even up in a disastrous state.
- Planet IFE - yes, there are lots of channels but its all extremely boring and ho hum. IFE is clearly a hard one for airlines and some airlines do it better than others (in my view, BA
have an interesting mix of content. CX
also includes full series of TV
dramas, and not just random episodes, which is great)
- Lots of Australians flying on the flights from BKK
. Turkey is flavor of the month for Australian travelers, TK
would no doubt easily fill up a plane to SYD
, however the TG
code share arrangements may make better economic sense for now.
- A large number of passengers to SIN
are actually continuing to CGK
and HCM, I wonder if either of these will go non stop any time soon.
- Im currently on assignment in KBP
and there are huge numbers of connecting passengers from KBP
(and other Ukrainian cities) to Asian services. Ukraine has a large population - over 40 million - and has a large number of super rich and a decent sized middle class in major cities. TK
is becoming a very dominant airline in Ukraine.
- A funny comment, I connected in SIN
to Silkair to DRW
and there was an 80 minute delay. I was given meal vouchers, a phone card and asked if I needed any further assistance. Asia service levels are on another level!
So it all remains a mixed experience covering the spectrum from fantastic to poor, and while it will clearly take a few years to work out the IST
issues, a few smiles and pleasantries from the staff would go a long way in improving the overall TK