reifel
Topic Author

LH Cutting Special Meals

Wed May 02, 2012 6:22 pm

Hi There,

what a suprise today when at work in the GDS a long confirmed Seafood meal from MIA to FRA came back as Unable with the information "eff 1May SFML not offered anymore".

I'm not sure if this was mentioned before, but aparently LH also cuts costs here, and does same as a lot of other carriers: Special meals only for religious beliefs or dietary needs.

The website is showing which meals are still offered: http://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/Special-meals

Seafood went away... do you spot any other meals that have been taken off the list?

starguy

RE: LH Cutting Special Meals

Wed May 02, 2012 6:29 pm

Good job too. Passengers are ever so picky when given too much choice. It amazing what people will eat when the choice is taken away. Special meals cost extra for the company.

heebeegb

Wed May 02, 2012 7:08 pm

Couldn't agree more with StarGuy.

reifel
Topic Author

Wed May 02, 2012 7:21 pm

On a personal note, I do agree as well.

That said, I do understand in Germany a lot of loyal LH passengers are fed up and feel things are going worse and worse: Rebooking fee raised, fuel supplements raising, more and more flights operated by Germany, new seats less confortable, Miles&More programm becoming worthless, customer service getting bad and now this little thing... As itself it's highly unsignificient, but in total every little change at the moment can be too much for loyal customers and they may look to fly with someone else.

On the other side, they wont find a lot better with competitors. People should realize that flying has changed. In other countries (i.e. Spain), it's standard not to get any drink or food at all, no matter if flying Iberia, Air Europa, Vueling, Ryanair, Easyjet or defunct Spanair... LH customers will soon realize that it will get the same here. And if everyone does the same, well then LH is not better nor worse than any other German (or even European) carrier. Long haul might be a different story, however people tend to prefer fly nonstop, that's LH's advantage, and i.e to the US quality goes down everywhere too, making LH not worse than other carriers, even with service cuts. Asia/Middle East may be another story.

yp6370

Wed May 02, 2012 7:49 pm

SFML will no longer be available but on the other hand an "upgraded" MOML will now be offered systemwide.

Quite frankly: Special meals are a luxury item no one needs except for religious reasons maybe. If you cannot eat onboard meals or you have special requirements (allergies etc.), you should bring your own stuff. It is simply not possible to cater for all needs and there will always be some who cannot be satisfied.
An airline is after all a mass transport company. With customers differing from peanut allergy to vegan it is always just an "average" meal on offer which is likely to be accepted by most.

Besides that, I guess IATA also requires certain SPML to be available at its member airlines.

TheSonntag

Wed May 02, 2012 8:00 pm

It is time that they sack this CEO, like Deutsche Bahn did years ago. I do not necessarily say this is a problem, but generally, LH treats their customers like "f§$ck you,". This really hurts the airline.

Birdwatching

Wed May 02, 2012 8:05 pm

I never really understood why some airlines offered a seafood meal in the first place. I can understand vegetarian and religious meals, but seafood meal? It's not an a la carte restaurant. Personally I have always been highly satisfied with Lufthansa's regular choices in Y, I don't think there is a need for a separate seafood meal.

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

timf

Wed May 02, 2012 8:11 pm

While most meals are built around dietary restrictions that are justifiable, a seafood meal is merely a luxury. If someone is ordering it because they don't eat meat but do eat fish, they can be accommodated just as well with a vegetarian meal. If they are ordering it just because they think they will get a higher quality meal than the normal choices, they are costing the airline money by unnecessarily taking advantage of the special meal system, which is likely the reason for discontinuing it.

CXA330300

Wed May 02, 2012 8:37 pm

One interesting streamline is that I've seen vegetarian and kosher meals streamlined on AA - they just make the meal in a supervised kosher kitchen. Do you think we might see more of this trend?
AC/AA/UA/DL/B6/WN/US*/CO*/FI/BA/IB/AF/SK/LX/Sabena*/TK/LY/SA/MN/SW/AM/CE*/CX/CA/MU/JL/SQ/TG/MH/KA/5J

cmf

Wed May 02, 2012 9:57 pm

Quoting yp6370 (Reply 4):
Special meals are a luxury item no one needs except for religious reasons maybe.

You could not be more wrong. Lactose, gluten, etc.

If you cannot eat onboard meals or you have special requirements (allergies etc.), you should bring your own stuff.

Works on some short flights but what do you do when you have multiple connection intercontinental flights. Tried connecting in US and carrying fruit?
Don’t repeat earlier generations mistakes. Learn history for a better future.

EK413

Thu May 03, 2012 12:20 am

Special meals are an expense carriers could do without...

The removal of SFML as a choice is old news but appears LH was offering this "diet"...

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

tonystan

Thu May 03, 2012 2:31 am

Heres an argument all crew will relate with....

Crew: "very sorry sir, I have just run out of the beef and I only have chicken left"!
Passenger: "Typical, this is a disgrace, I DO NOT eat chicken. I am allergic to it, are you trying to kill me?"
Crew: "Again Im very sorry sir and there is nothing but chicken left elsewhere."
Passenger: "Fine then Ill have the chicken if I must!"
Crew: "But you just said you are allergic to it"!!!!

Customers always right! lol
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

EK413

Thu May 03, 2012 5:07 am

Quoting tonystan (Reply 11):

I love it...

What cracks me up would be the last minute requests while passengers checking they've just realized I need a KSML, I'm a Vegetarian, I'm lactose intolerance...

Can't wait till special meals are no longer made available on flights!

EK413

aloges

Thu May 03, 2012 9:01 am

Quoting EK413 (Reply 12):

Why do you want Hindus, Jews, Muslims and those affected by one of the various digestion diseases to go hungry?
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

MadameConcorde

Thu May 03, 2012 9:12 am

Quoting aloges (Reply 13):
Why do you want Hindus, Jews, Muslims and those affected by one of the various digestion diseases to go hungry?

I am not Hindu or Muslim or Kosher or anything particular but I always order my Asian Vegetarian (Hindu) meal when I fly in Economy. It is nothing new. I have been doing the same for ages as it assures me of better quality food which is true every time when I look at other inflight Economy meals in all these years.

If I upgrade using FF Miles or upgrade certificates to the next class of service (or get an Op'upgrade due to my FF status) then I still take the same special meal with the little extras offered by the next class of service.

There are plenty of low cost airlines you can choose from that provide no meals or very minimal food or 'buy on board' if you don't want to see these special meals being offered to passngers.

Feel lucky that you have these choices instead of criticizing.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

G-CIVP

Thu May 03, 2012 9:54 am

Quoting reifel (Reply 3):
more and more flights operated by Germany,

Mmm. Something got lost in translation!

Burkhard

Thu May 03, 2012 10:06 am

To be honest, I'm in favor to discontinue ALL free food on board, at least in Y. Today's technology (Internet) allows for an order of a choice of meals at costs which represent the true costs of giving you that meal high up in the air. I have no understanding that I have to pay more in order to have religious extremists of any flavor to celebrate their ideology in public - and have no understanding in most cases that I had to pay for that uneatable junk forced upon my sense of taste.

MadameConcorde

Thu May 03, 2012 10:22 am

Quoting Burkhard (Reply 16):
. I have no understanding that I have to pay more in order to have religious extremists of any flavor to celebrate their ideology in public -

Some of us who order these special meals have no religious beliefs or no particular religion.

Many more than you can think.

A possibility is given to us to eat better quality food with these special meals at no extra cost so why not take it?

A vegetarian is not a religious fanatic. One who eats a Hindu or Kosher or Hallal meal is not a religious fanatic. If you want to suppress the right to being different from the rest and believing in something different or believing in no religion at all and you want to uniformize everybody and be forced to be all the same and eat the same food you will create a horrible world.

I am all for special meals. Maybe not as many kinds but they are necessary. If they were not popular they would already be long gone from all the major airlines who offer them. I used to fly in the early 60's and they already had them.

Again there are plenty of low cost airlines you can choose from that provide no meals or very minimal food or 'buy on board' if you don't want to see these special meals being offered to passengers.

Feel free to use them. As for myself I like to be offered a choice and I will vote with my feet and stop flying with whatever airline will stop offering that difference.

Vive la différence!

aloges

Thu May 03, 2012 10:27 am

Quoting G-CIVP (Reply 15):
Mmm. Something got lost in translation!

I think he meant Germanwings.

To be honest, I'm in favor to discontinue ALL free food on board, at least in Y.

Try selling MUC-LAX in Y without food included in the ticket price... or better yet, BOM-FRA-ORD.

Today's technology (Internet) allows for an order of a choice of meals at costs which represent the true costs of giving you that meal high up in the air.

Oh, the joys of matching 300 individual eco meals to as many passengers, not too few of which have swapped seats... you'd be lucky to get your food before landing.

and have no understanding in most cases that I had to pay for that uneatable junk forced upon my sense of taste.

Fly in C or F class if your sense of taste is so utterly offended by the food in Y.

I have no understanding that I have to pay more in order to have religious extremists of any flavor to celebrate their ideology in public

It's interesting how you refer to meals as inedible junk, yet bash those whose dietary habits differ from yours for sticking to them. To a vegetarian, a meal containing meat is inedible.

nethkt

Thu May 03, 2012 10:30 am

I'm not trying to stir up anything here.

But honestly, I don't think airlines should cater for every single kind of religious or beliefs.
I think it's too much when religious effects or tells you what to eat, we are all same specy animal after all.

Airlines should give information of what is their standard meal services, then charge extra for non-standard food.
This includes special religious/belief meal.

But then if Arabian based airlines put out Muslim meals are their standard meal service and I'd like to choose otherwise,
then I'm willing to pay for my non-standard (in this case, non-Muslim meal).
Let's just blame it on yields.

mikey72

Thu May 03, 2012 10:30 am

I don't know why the food has to be hot.

Economy catering should be a selction of cold fare available whenever.

Everyone stuck in their seat with a steaming pile of dried out slop in front of them.

It's archaic, messy and not practical.
Flying is like sex - I've never had all I wanted but occasionally I've had all I can stand.

Burkhard

Thu May 03, 2012 10:52 am

Quoting mikey72 (Reply 20):
I don't know why the food has to be hot.

Very good points!

What makes me astonished is the usage of the word free in free meal. Airlines are not in the position to give anything away for free - every on board service costs money, and this money has to be paid with the ticket price. So this is a non voluntary bundling of different services (transport and nutrition) which is only justified by the missing access to other forms of food while on board - it would be illegal in any other case. My point is, that this all inclusive bundling is no longer necessary in times of the Internet - I should be able to book a very comfortable seat or a just standard seat, a luxurious meal with campaign and caviar or just a basic pretzel, and pay for what I want. That is the way of the future - give the customer what he wants, and charge him for this, not give him an all inclusive this is what I think he wants.

What I would like to know, what is the real price the airlines calculate for an average on board Y hot meal. Purchased on ground frozen in a shop they are available for between 0.7€ and 1.5€ - what is the full cost to serve them on board - so how much cheaper could a "no meal water only" ticket be for let us say a 6 hour TATL flight?

RWA380

Thu May 03, 2012 11:05 am

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 6):
It's not an a la carte restaurant

Too bad as well, it used to be like this when I started flying as a kid, Sigh!! Oh well, it's a new world, huh?

I admit I have taken advantage of special meals whenever they were made available, I started doing it when I was told by many different people, that I'd find special meals to be fresher, as the basic chicken or beef meals were made in mass and often times done further in advance of special meals which could be less than 24 hours, don't know if that's true, I never worked at SkyChefs but almost never had a special meal that wasn't nice and fresh, until they stopped offering meals domestic. Sigh!!! Oh well, I now bring my own goodies depending on flight length. Most I'll get now is a diet coke.
Next Flights: PDX-HNL-OGG-LIH-PDX On AS, WP & HA

aloges

Thu May 03, 2012 11:06 am

Quoting Burkhard (Reply 21):
so how much cheaper could a "no meal water only" ticket be for let us say a 6 hour TATL flight?

not a cent

What an airline would do instead is keep the fares at the same level and make you pay extra for food, as it has happened on short-haul flights. In any case, ten hours on a plane with just water to sustain you (and a stale bun if you wish) would scare people off such flights - and keeping the entire infrastructure for hot meals would certainly be up for debate if its cost had to be spread over fewer and fewer meals produced.

cmf

Thu May 03, 2012 11:26 am

Don't hold a service job if you don't like to provide service.

I have no understanding that I have to pay more in order to have religious extremists of any flavor to celebrate their ideology in public

Special meals is not just about religion. Even when it about religion it is rarely about extremists. The extremists in this situation is you.

Quoting nethkt (Reply 19):
Airlines should give information of what is their standard meal services, then charge extra for non-standard food.
This includes special religious/belief meal.

If they think it is better business for them yes. I doubt it is. I removed LH from the company list of approved airlines because they frequently missed my vegetarian meal. Not a lot of money but I'm sure they would have loved the 500 kUSD we spent with them per year.

ElPistolero

Thu May 03, 2012 11:39 am

I really hope this is down to people not eating it, and not some accountant deciding to save the $1 or $2 it costs to swap a meal from a Japan-bound flight with seafood options to a North America-bound flight with the usual mix of chicken/beef or some refined flour with watery tomato and a little bit of cheese (I believe they try to pass it off as "pasta"). The economies of scale have existed for a while now.

To be honest, LH's product is pretty barebones as it is. These kind of actions seem more pennywise, pound foolish. If a significant portion of people have been using the SFML, they will notice it is gone and it won't do LH any favors.

It surprises me that people don't realize that its the little things like these that can move a lot of non-loyal traffic away to other carriers. I still remember LH announcing (in 2005?) that it wasn't interested in putting PTVs in Y. Years later, it did precisely that. Hmmm...I wonder why?

Quoting StarGuy (Reply 1):
Good job too. Passengers are ever so picky when given too much choice. It amazing what people will eat when the choice is taken away. Special meals cost extra for the company.
Quite frankly: Special meals are a luxury item no one needs except for religious reasons maybe.

Yes, damn those consumers. Spoilt for choice. Lets just completely ignore the fact that they actually pay to fly. I am genuinely worried that this is a move inspired by some accountant, and not someone who actually gives a damn about passenger experience. Sure, "they'll eat whatever we give them to eat" thinking has its merits, but its not like theres no competition out there (and no, I m not limiting the competition to mediocre Euro and N. American carriers).

If you cannot eat onboard meals or you have special requirements (allergies etc.), you should bring your own stuff. It is simply not possible to cater for all needs and there will always be some who cannot be satisfied.
Quoting cmf (Reply 9):
Works on some short flights but what do you do when you have multiple connection intercontinental flights. Tried connecting in US and carrying fruit?

I have. From Europe. US customs impounded my apple!

Quoting nethkt (Reply 19):
But honestly, I don't think airlines should cater for every single kind of religious or beliefs.

Seriously though, how much does it cost them to swap meals around. I would imagine that on any given day, they would still have Seafood for flights to certain regions, beef for other sand veg for others. Its just a matter of creating an extra piece or shuffling them around.

Quoting Burkhard (Reply 21):
Airlines are not in the position to give anything away for free - every on board service costs money, and this money has to be paid with the ticket price.

Bingo. One could argue that it is being paid for. Whether those extra $1 or $2 that a SFML costs is being used to provide the meal or to beef up (no pun inteneded) the profit margin is perhaps more likely the issue at hand. Why spend it on what the consumer has paid for when it can be used to increase profits, eh?

FWIW, I don't like Sea Food, so no great loss IMO. (Read into that what you will)

EK413

Thu May 03, 2012 12:18 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 13):
Quoting cmf (Reply 24):

Not realizing your Hindu, Jew, Vegetarian, Muslim or Lactose Intolerant at the time you booked your flight and then turning up at the airport 2 hours prior to departure asking for your KSML (example) is a inconvience to the airline course this particular meal must be ordered 36 hours prior to allow time for the meal to defrost!

EK413

aloges

Thu May 03, 2012 12:32 pm

Quoting EK413 (Reply 26):
turning up at the airport 2 hours prior to departure asking for your KSML

So why do you hope for an end to all special meals?   

IIRC, there are cutoff times for special meal orders.

vfw614

Thu May 03, 2012 1:06 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 17):
A possibility is given to us to eat better quality food with these special meals at no extra cost so why not take it?

Well, because a lot of passengers have taken it, the airlines are doing away with it. While I do not understand most "enhancements" that airlines come up with these days, I can see no reason why they should waste money to offer exotic meals to passengers who just feel like having it.

hohd

Thu May 03, 2012 2:00 pm

From your original post it appeared that you want the airlines to do away with all special meals on all flights (long haul included) regardless of whether requested in advance or not. It is understandable for an airline to do away with special meals on a short haul flight.

Also I have an idea, why dont they make all meals vegetarian. That way any meat based meal would be a "special meal". I am sure you would not mind paying for it.

MadameConcorde

Thu May 03, 2012 2:10 pm

Quoting vfw614 (Reply 28):
I can see no reason why they should waste money to offer exotic meals to passengers who just feel like having it.

These are just meals pre-set by the airline. They are really nothing special.

If I really want something special I will fly with Singapore Airlines in Business or First Class and use their "Book the Cook" option which has a lot of "exotic" high standard chef cooked meal choices like I would find in high end restaurants in the city.

Of course coming with the assorted wines and side goodies.

This is to say the special meals offered in people class by most long haul carrier are really nothing special though still much better than the normal offerings. Nothing new to me. I have been choosing them ever since I started flying long haul over 40 years ago.

goldcrest

Thu May 03, 2012 2:18 pm

I have to say, I agree with a reduction in the choices available....maybe not completely abandoning the option altogether.

On a recent flight across the Atlantic, of 125 people in Y, 78 has various different special meals ordered.

I do a agree with the removal of SFML, and possibly CHML also (Y class only). Dietary requirements should be met, particularly for longer sectors.

It would be nice to see airlines and caterers try to reach agreements on varieties of meals.
For example....all meals to be peanut free ?
Perhaps Halal meat to be used ?
Can a MOML / HNML / AVML all contain similar items ?

Regarding serving cold meals, this is more expensive due to "fresh" items being required.

cmf

Thu May 03, 2012 2:50 pm

Quoting ElPistolero (Reply 25):
I have. From Europe. US customs impounded my apple!

You're not alone  
Not realizing your Hindu, Jew, Vegetarian, Muslim or Lactose Intolerant at the time you booked your flight and then turning up at the airport 2 hours prior to departure asking for your KSML (example) is a inconvience to the airline course this particular meal must be ordered 36 hours prior to allow time for the meal to defrost!

From where do you have 36 hours? Been 24 hours on every airline I've used.

And your suggestion that it is booked 2 hours before departure is horse hockey. I have always ordered it together with the ticket and learned to call in a check it took despite having ordered it and the note on my profile.

Still it is very common to find it is missing at time of check-in. Unfailingly I'm told - You must book 24 hours ahead. Then complete speech impairment when I show confirmations from well before 24 hours.

If there is any change to the ticket it is almost certainly lost. Why is it an airline can't make my meal follow along when they re-book me on a later flight because the original went tech? Even worse, when they upgrade me to business without the my VGML and then have cancelled it for my economy seat. What do you suggest I do at check-in 2 hours before a 14 hour flight? Or, as has happened, a 20 hour two leg flight with tight connection?

Coming from a restaurant family and personally working a lot on supply chain management I'm at a total loss as to why airlines have not figured out how to make this work.

twa727

Thu May 03, 2012 3:07 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 30):
These are just meals pre-set by the airline. They are really nothing special.

I concur. I regularly request the ovo-lacto vegetarian meal, as I don't eat meat or fish. However, at many airlines that already seems to be merged to be the same meal as the vegan meal, the low-sodium meal, the low-fat meal, and the bland meal. Unseasoned rice pilaf, steamed vegetables, and a small fruit cup as "dessert" doesn't seem terribly exotic.

Fortunately some airlines (such as VS and US) have been including a vegetarian choice on their standard menu. Particularly when I'm flying business class, I'll go out of my way to choose one of those airlines.

jfklganyc

Thu May 03, 2012 3:08 pm

You want a special meal for any reason (including religion)?

Bring it yourself.

Welcome to the adult world boys and girls

reramprat

Thu May 03, 2012 3:10 pm

Ahhh......the europeans are finally learning what Americans had to learn in the 90's. You can't have the masses fly the cheap airlines(Southwest/Ryanair/Easyjet/etc.) and expect the "legacies" to keep all the specials while still trying to compete.

Hold on the race to the bottom is a long one.

afterburner

Thu May 03, 2012 3:34 pm

I don't really understand these objections of special meals. Do you object because special meals make the ticket prices you have to pay dozens of cents higher than they should be in order to subsidize people who order special meals?

Quoting goldcrest (Reply 31):
Perhaps Halal meat to be used ?

I believe it has been discussed here that a British airline catering company had the idea of using halal meat not only for special meals but for all meals they make.

Quoting goldcrest (Reply 31):
Can a MOML / HNML / AVML all contain similar items ?

Yes it can. Create an Asian style dish that doesn't contain any animal product at all and doesn't contain alcohol. This meal can be labeled as MOML, KSML, HNML, AVML, NLML, VLML, and VGML.  

cmf

Thu May 03, 2012 3:50 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 34):

Welcome to the world where I pick your competition. Enjoy your time at home.

aloges

Thu May 03, 2012 3:57 pm

Bring it yourself.

Trolling today, are we?   

Quoting reramprat (Reply 35):
You can't have the masses fly the cheap airlines(Southwest/Ryanair/Easyjet/etc.) and expect the "legacies" to keep all the specials while still trying to compete.

When we pay higher fares for the legacies, we can definitely expect better service from them - and we do usually get it. On long-haul routes, there is no LCC competition anyway (unless you consider AirAsia X actual competition).

afterburner

Thu May 03, 2012 4:04 pm

Special meals are usually less appetizing than the standard ones. I think it's because catering companies try to make the cost of producing a special meal as close as possible to the cost of producing a standard meal. Besides, airlines won't provide special meals if they cost significantly higher than the standard ones.

frmrCapCadet

Thu May 03, 2012 4:07 pm

Maybe a few 'price included' meals, that meet most requirements. Caesar salad can easily be universal meal (leave out the egg), and packets available for croutons and chicken. Make an acceptable beef meal for Islamic, a chicken meal for Hindu/Jewish. None of these need be specifically 'ethnic'. If I fly on EK I would enjoy Arabic, SQ Chinese, India, South American etc. Also available to buy if not 'free'.

Then a nice BOB series of selections. Any number of things are relatively light, and with a long/fairly long shelf life - all (minimal) pre-packaged. Jerky, nuts, cheeses, candy, gorp, veggie packs (carrots, celery, peppers etc), fruit, chips, dips (hummus, salmon, bean, onion), desserts. And something like this could replace all meals in Y, a wide selection, and your ticket may include one or more. The menu could have lists for various dietary requirements. And anyone could make a breaakfast, lunch or dinner out of the list.

More more esoteric meals, the truly fussy or whatever, a shop in the boarding area could well sell other items, cold packs available for longer flights.

Just as with IFE, airlines really out to spend their real money on flight, safety, comfort. Food and entertainment should sell for enough to cover all/most of its costs, maybe the same profit margin as the flying.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

jfklganyc

Thu May 03, 2012 4:14 pm

"Welcome to the world where I pick your competition. Enjoy your time at home."

What competition?

What are they giving you that LH isn't?

Remember CO still having meals when everyone else didn't? How long did that last.

Airfare = safe, reliable, and somewhat comfortable travel from point A to point B.

It is not a cruise or an Ocean Liner crossing where meals are part of the package.

You get what you get because the airline gives it to you. Until they, not you, decide not to give it to you anymore.

Then you are free to walk with your feet. But you will be walking a long way...because the others airlines are going to do the same thing

SASDC8

Thu May 03, 2012 4:23 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 18):
Try selling MUC-LAX in Y without food included in the ticket price... or better yet, BOM-FRA-ORD.

Norwegian (DY) is about to do just that come next year when they take delivery of their 787s, and start flying BKK-ARN/OSL and NYC-ARN/OSL. Even the passengers in their "business" class which only offer better legroom, will have to buy their meals.

I for one, do not find their business model very intriguing.

On topic: I totally understand that LH now cuts SPML from their offering, and I quite sure that Average Joe will not care at all. They should keep special meals for allergic and still cater for different religious diets.
2-3-2 is NOT a premium configuration

tonystan

Thu May 03, 2012 5:05 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 14):
I am not Hindu or Muslim or Kosher or anything particular but I always order my Asian Vegetarian (Hindu) meal when I fly in Economy.

Id be careful ordering a "Hindu" meal on certain airlines if you are expecting a vegetarian. Hindus are not strictly vegetarian and Iknow my airline rather daftly insists on putting meat into our Hindu meals despite having it fed back that a lot of passenger order these assuming they are veg.

If you want a veg order an Asian Veg and NOT an Hindu!

Hope that helps!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

Kaiarahi

Thu May 03, 2012 5:11 pm

Bring it yourself.

You do realize that for the majority of the world's population, "western" food is ethnic, right?
Empty vessels make the most noise.

cmf

Thu May 03, 2012 5:16 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 41):
What competition?

I have multiple choices flying flying transatlantic.

It is not a cruise or an Ocean Liner crossing where meals are part of the package.

If I'm on an ocean liner length flight I expect to be able to eat at normal times.

You get what you get because the airline gives it to you. Until they, not you, decide not to give it to you anymore.

I get nothing because the airline decides to give it to me. I get everything because I buy it.

Then you are free to walk with your feet. But you will be walking a long way...because the others airlines are going to do the same thing

I'll walk from that airline to one that is smart enough to provide what I and many with me want. I do not care about a meal on a short flight. But certainly do when it goes over multiple mealtimes.

Do you know that meals used to be additional on transatlantic flights? Do you know that they stopped it because it was cheaper to include it in the ticket?

I do not think all airlines will be so stupid to remove meals. We already see airlines increasing service levels.

yp6370

Thu May 03, 2012 6:00 pm

Wow already over 40 replies! Heated airplane food in aluminum containers seems to be quite important  

Don't forget there are still 19 other special meals available and fish is always a choice in First and Business Class.

The number of SPML differs from airline to airline. That's what I found on their respective websites:
BA: 18
EK: 12
SK: 16
CX: 20
SQ: 31
IB: 6
KL: 13

From the airlines above, only SQ offers a SFML.

coachclass

Thu May 03, 2012 6:09 pm

Serving special meals is part of what goes into the particular airlines service standards which people choose from.

LH still serves DBML but UA doesn't. This higher standard, for example, is expressed in other areas of service. LH gives free booze; UA, US, AA don't. Free headsets on LH, not on US. BTW, it's kinda nice that in providing you a special meal that they are saying your health is important to them, much like trying to help people observe their religious dietary restrictions. I'll never forget an Indian woman in DTW at a Burger King, I think, in tears, as she was returning a cheeseburger because she ordered a plain cheeseburger thinking that that meant no meat. I was so impressed how the young woman behind the counter defused the situation and consoled the woman. Special meals are a big deal.

airportugal310

Thu May 03, 2012 6:19 pm

Quoting cmf (Reply 24):
If they think it is better business for them yes. I doubt it is. I removed LH from the company list of approved airlines because they frequently missed my vegetarian meal. Not a lot of money but I'm sure they would have loved the 500 kUSD we spent with them per year.
Quoting cmf (Reply 24):
Special meals is not just about religion. Even when it about religion it is rarely about extremists. The extremists in this situation is you.

No, I think the extremist is YOU when YOU take away half a million dollars in business from LH over a few missed $2 veggie meals.
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

AirAfreak

Thu May 03, 2012 6:23 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 14):

I agree with you whole-heartedly.

The airfare is designed to cover various expenses including special meals, fuel, inflight magazines, liquid hand soap in the lavatories, a pillow, the plastic airline wings for Unaccompanied Minors.

This is not North Korea, so make your choice everyone, low-cost or high-cost!!!

Vive la difference!!!

MadameConcorde, je vous souhaitez un bon appetit!!!!  

A bientot,

AirAfreak (Air Afrique)  
Do you lead an Intercontinental life?