rwy04lga
Topic Author

Could DL Establish Hub In SJU?

Thu May 03, 2012 7:19 pm

With AA entrenched in MIA and with SJU up for sale, DL could buy SJU and build a hub to serve Latin America and the Carribean. I'm only half serious, but would be interested in y'alls thoughts.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

tommy767

RE: Could DL Establish Hub In SJU?

Thu May 03, 2012 7:21 pm

SJU kind of has a bad economy at the moment. Not sure if it would be wise for Delta to make a move like this when most of the Caribbean and LatAm is served well enough from Atlanta.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

chepos

Thu May 03, 2012 7:28 pm

DL is not interested in establishing a hub in SJU, why would they? Low yield market, bad local economy, declining tourism (recipe for disaster).
If anyone is going to grow SJU more it would be B6, and to be honest I don't see them growing it more than what they currently have.

Regards,

Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

RL757PVD

Thu May 03, 2012 7:29 pm

Pretty sure B6 is taking over whatever leftovers are worth taking from the former AA hub
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

bobnwa

Thu May 03, 2012 7:46 pm

Quoting rwy04lga (Thread starter):
With AA entrenched in MIA and with SJU up for sale, DL could buy SJU and build a hub to serve Latin America and the Carribean. I'm only half serious, but would be interested in y'alls thoughts

Of course DL could establish a hub in SJU, but what ever reason would they ever want to. They wouldn't gain anything from such a move

drerx7

Thu May 03, 2012 7:55 pm

I'll comment from the Amen section...why would DL do that? Or anybody for that matter? B6 is filling that AA void. While Puerto Rico is decent enough - I'm not really looking to schedule a return vacation there, especially when compared to other islands.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

IrishAyes

Thu May 03, 2012 8:44 pm

The answer is no, for several reasons.

1. SJU existed as a "hub" for AA during a period when it was relevant and sensible. Now, that purpose has largely become frivolous. AA simply wanted to connect traffic between the Eastern seaboard and the Caribbean Islands, both high-volume resort destinations and smaller islands, over SJU, using hub-banks. The traffic was fairly high-yielding back then. Moreover, the SJU buildup largely predated the acquisition of Eastern's hub at Miami, and so as Miami has been built up, many of such islands and high-volume resort destinations have been connected to the MIA hub, thus rendering SJU moot.

2. The LCC competition by ways of NK, FL and B6 have severely infiltrated the Caribbean market. No way will DL ever want to go up against that. B6 in particular has invested in a wise strategy of serving the secondary/smaller airports in Puerto Rico to appeal to O&D/VFR traffic heading between the Island and the East Coast.

3. Somewhat similar to point #1, why would DL want to create a hub in the middle of the Caribbean that would largely replicate what it has in ATL?
confidence is silent. insecurities are loud.

SouthernDC9

Thu May 03, 2012 8:49 pm

Honestly, does anybody see any U.S. airline busting out with any new hub, anywhere? I don't, but maybe that's just me...
What does AA/US merger mean for CLT/JFK/PHX/North America/Southern Hemisphere/God's Plan for the Universe

PHX787

Thu May 03, 2012 8:59 pm

IMO:
B6 will take over SJU
ATL will stay DL's primary latin/caribbean hub
MIA will see an increase in traffic that once flew through SJU (this depends on the former American Eagle routes being places back on ERJs)

IF and I SAY IF because people are inevitably going to bring this up:
US and AA merge, CLT's latin traffic will be sent through MIA
AA and B6 merge, SJU will reopen and have a lot of what B6 will send down there, albeit downsized.

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 1):
SJU kind of has a bad economy at the moment.

Exactly.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

yellowtail

Thu May 03, 2012 10:10 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 8):
B6 will take over SJU
ATL will stay DL's primary latin/caribbean hub
MIA will see an increase in traffic that once flew through SJU (this depends on the former American Eagle routes being places back on ERJs)

+ WN going international + SJU from HOU.
within 6 years I bet we will see HOU to GCM/SDQ/SJU/MBJ/BZE/GUA/SAL/MGA/AUA/PTY/SAP/LIM/BOG/POS/KIN/CUN/CZM and if they open up cuba HAV and a whole lot of Mexico.

B6 has been focussing on SJU but they need to finish off C. America before WN enters the market. the isthmus will be the next LCC gold rush
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.