ramprat74
Topic Author

PDX Summer Construction

Fri May 04, 2012 2:46 pm

I just got wind yesterday, that once again the Port of Portland will be tearing up more ramp that they paved a few years ago. It looks like they will remove the asphalt North ramp next to Concourse E and replace it with concrete. This action will displace United Express and Jazz from July through October . This will also make United tow their RON's to the NE ramp next to the United cargo building.

The plan is to move UAX and Jazz to E4-E5. Then move part of the United operations down to D6-D8 for those months. So that will give United E1-E2-E3 and D6-D8.

The rumor was that Virgin America was going to use either D6 or D8 when they start PDX service. With this news now, I don't know where they will put Virgin America. Maybe D1 or D10?

CGKings317

RE: PDX Summer Construction

Fri May 04, 2012 7:58 pm

Very interesting developments. When I moved to PDX as a kid, I remember almost the entire ramp + airfield being asphalt. Looks as if PDX is gradually morphing to a predominantly concrete airfield. I also should note that It appears that the taxiway immediately south of 28L/10R (opposite the runway from the terminal) is also going to be converted to concrete.

I am sure that UA is not going to be too thrilled splitting their operations on opposite sides of the north lobby.

~CGKings317  
I love ✈ & volcanoes but the 2 of them dont get along, just ask KLM867 & PH-BFC

HPRamper

RE: PDX Summer Construction

Fri May 04, 2012 8:04 pm

Quoting CGKings317 (Reply 1):
I am sure that UA is not going to be too thrilled splitting their operations on opposite sides of the north lobby.

It's a bit of a walk, for sure. Should be a godsend for the vendors and shops on the D concourse who saw their business drop a lot since they opened with DL shrinking and US moving to C.