something
Topic Author

EK Avoiding Syrian Airspace?

Tue May 08, 2012 2:56 pm

Tracking my sister's flight home on flightradar24.com had me notice that invariably all EK flights seemed to avoid Syrian airspace, at least today. Can't say if this is a one-off or regularly occurence, but what's more interesting is that virtually all other flights (Qatar, Austrian, Lufthansa, TNT, AeroLogic etc.) did not make such a detour. If EK avoids Syrian airspace to save overflight fees, why don't all airlines do it? Given that EK serves DAM twice daily it can't be a political issue either.

Neither forum nor Google search yielded any results of substance. I'd be enthralled if this thread did.

Aircraft from North to South EK95, EK85, EK5, EK137 and EK91 all the way down on the purple line; at that aircraft's 10 o'clock position is AUA839 that flew right through Syria
http://oi47.tinypic.com/wj7uhj.jpg
..sick of it. -K. Pilkington.

lightsaber
Crew

RE: EK Avoiding Syrian Airspace?

Tue May 08, 2012 4:42 pm

Interesting. I'm simply giving this thread a bump as I would like to know more.

Serious question, I only see one aircraft in Syrian airspace at the time. Is there a high ATC charge, issues with radar? ATC attention diverted to military ops?

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

musapapaya

Tue May 08, 2012 5:38 pm

Talking about this, I heard long time ago (confirmed by the Pilotyeye DVD) that Swiss flights to HKG or PVG cant go through Russia, is it still true? I am on a flight with them on thursday!

musapapaya
Lufthansa Group of Airlines

theginge

Tue May 08, 2012 7:16 pm

Is it maybe that there is no one nearby with a reciever that is feeding in to Flight Radar, so aircraft are flying through, but just not picked up?!

migair54

Tue May 08, 2012 9:39 pm

It could be military restriction over Syrian airspace for some "operations".

Quoting musapapaya (Reply 2):
Talking about this, I heard long time ago (confirmed by the Pilotyeye DVD) that Swiss flights to HKG or PVG cant go through Russia, is it still true? I am on a flight with them on thursday!

Long time ago almost nobody was allow to overfly Russia and they used to fly via ANC or via India to south china, but nowadays they are allow to do and they can fly direct.

I don´t know now, but before El Al use to have a very big detour when flying to BKK.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos