Topic Author

Emirates Profit Slumps 72%

Thu May 10, 2012 9:17 am

chiad

RE: Emirates Profit Slumps 72%

Thu May 10, 2012 9:23 am

Quoting UAEflyer (Thread starter):
It seems that the oil price ate their profit

Though times. But EK's doing much better than most major airlines.

Pe@rson

Thu May 10, 2012 9:59 am

A big drop, but a decent profit nonetheless.

Quoting Chiad (Reply 1):
But EK's doing much better than most major airlines.

Indeed.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

ekgold

Thu May 10, 2012 10:28 am

I guess it is just as well that they don't pay full price for their fuel as professed on this website by others... The result would have been diabolical otherwise   

raptor1090

Thu May 10, 2012 10:35 am

afterburner

Thu May 10, 2012 10:38 am

Hey, they still makes some profit, while lots of other airlines don't.

something

Thu May 10, 2012 10:56 am

Quoting Chiad (Reply 1):
But EK's doing much better than most major airlines.

If ''most major airlines'' raised capital under the same low interest rates, if ''most major airlines'' didn't have to do regional/domestic flying and hub feeding, if ''most major airlines'' could hire and fire people willy-nilly, if ''most other major airlines'' were supported by the government behind them and weren't tied to regulations, they'd be profitable too.

Creating the EK brand was an impressive undertaking, because they're profitable (~ it works). If they weren't, EK could hardly be called an ''achievement''.
..sick of it. -K. Pilkington.

LAXtoATL

Thu May 10, 2012 11:52 am

Quoting something (Reply 6):
If ''most major airlines'' raised capital under the same low interest rates, if ''most major airlines'' didn't have to do regional/domestic flying and hub feeding, if ''most major airlines'' could hire and fire people willy-nilly, if ''most other major airlines'' were supported by the government behind them and weren't tied to regulations, they'd be profitable too.

Curious do you even know what interest rates EK pays on their capital? What other international carriers are paying? I read an annual report a couple of years ago, and rates didn't seem all that unusual to me, if you aren't just running your mouth and actually have facts to back it his statement, please post the rates, I would love to see the difference.

While EK doesn't do any "domestic flying", they most certainly do regional flying. They do a lot of regional flying as a matter of fact. And to suggest they don't do hub feeding is just asinine! That is all they do, DXB is one of the largest airports in the world (pax traffic), not because Dubai is some sort of massive business center or tourist destination but because Emirates funnels almost all of its traffic through their DXB hub! I would bet their connecting traffic at their DXB hub is probably the largest percentage of any airline in the world, and certainly top 5.

Outside of N. America and Europe, most airlines (and companies in general) enjoy the ability to fire people "wily-nily" as you say. That is not unique to Emirates. But I don't see how this is relevant. I have heard no complaints about former Emirates employees who were unjustly fired. I also hear very few complaints from employees about the airline mistreating or under paying them. Which ironically is quite unique, since that is a common complaint from employees of "most major airlines".

Not sure what you mean by supported by government. "Most major airlines" are supported by the government behind them. And all major airlines follow regulations!!! In fact they all follow the same regulations, because everywhere they fly they must adhere to the local regulations in place!

Emirates might enjoy some benefits like low taxation (and they certainly arent the only ones - heck even in the US where we have high taxes, because of bankruptcy certain airlines were allowed to carry credits that allowed them to reduce or eliminate their tax bill for years to come), but they are profitable mainly because of their business model and how they execute it. There is no benefit that Emirates has that is not enjoyed by other airlines around the world, in other words there is nothing unique to Emirates. You show me their interest rate and I'll show you an airline with a cheaper rate, you show me their domestic/regional ops and I'll show you an airline doing less, you show me the support they get from government and I'll show you an airline with more government support. I think you get the point (at least I hope you do).

PanHAM

Thu May 10, 2012 11:52 am

As something already said, put that in relation with the work conditions LH and AF/Kl have to live and deal with and the profit is not that bright at all. And, making that statement, I assume that they pay market prices for fuel.

But work conditons alone, the lack of taxation, social conributions (in Germany alone, the direct employers contribution to health, pension job less insurance amounts to more than 20% of the salary, the other 20 % paid by the workers have to be generated as well in the company. Low skilled labour is by far less expensive than in Europe and the conditions would be intolerable here.

powered by Eierlikör

huaiwei

Thu May 10, 2012 11:53 am

Last I checked, most of these airlines eventually go bust.

That EK went in the other direction in terms of profitability and growth says alot about the validity of your assumptions.

Meanwhile, SQ's profits also plunged 69% for the Jan-Mar 2012 period. It must be a truly pathetic airline to do this badly despite all the advantages!

[Edited 2012-05-10 04:54:47]
It's huaiwei...not huawei. I have nothing to do with the PRC! :)

connies4ever

Thu May 10, 2012 1:53 pm

Historically, airlines both in the USA and outside have required massive capital injections to remain in business. Quite simply the record shows they have not actually made money since KLM was founded (1919 ?)

http://chartingtheeconomy.com/?p=1541

Note Warren Buffett's comments in this one:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3679292/...truggle-paths-profit/#.T6vHi1Kuk9g
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Pe@rson

Thu May 10, 2012 1:59 pm

I wish such threads wouldn't inevitably descend into the same tired and cliched comments.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

EK413

Thu May 10, 2012 2:11 pm

Even though profits have dropped guarantee EK announce another billion $$$ profit...

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

Pe@rson

Thu May 10, 2012 2:19 pm

Quoting EK413 (Reply 12):
Even though profits have dropped guarantee EK announce another billion $$$ profit...

EK itself (the airline) earned $409m.

PanHAM

Thu May 10, 2012 2:45 pm

Right, that is roughly 300 million € on sales of roughly € 12,750 Billion which stands against LH sales of € 28 734 billion with a resulting operational profit of € 820,00 million.

Good show, LH, I'd say, under much rougher conditions than EK enjoys. (Unions, social contributions, legal system etc.)
powered by Eierlikör

huaiwei

Thu May 10, 2012 3:05 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 14):
under much rougher conditions than EK enjoys. (Unions, social contributions, legal system etc.)

But most legacy European and American carriers had a much earlier headstart during times when such "rough conditions" were still in their infancy decades ago. That the recent upstarts have risen to rival the older airlines despite the current operating climate is surely something to be lauded.

PanHAM

Thu May 10, 2012 3:40 pm

It is always comparing apples and peaches when companies based in such different countries like the UAE and Germany are compared. If you can get the EBITDA from EK to show against the 2.546 Billion EBITDA of LH we would even have a better comparison.

Now, EK is owned by the UAE government whereas LH is a private company, listed at the FRA stock exchange which gets slammed wth taxes and ETS trades by the German government. Besides that they have to observe all kind of laws, rules and regulations in a state ruled by the law where every citiuzen can sue the government, a company or any other authority. The UAE is ruled by decret. No need to say anmore.
powered by Eierlikör

MaverickM11

Thu May 10, 2012 3:51 pm

Quoting huaiwei (Reply 15):
But most legacy European and American carriers had a much earlier headstart during times when such "rough conditions" were still in their infancy decades ago.

True, and by comparison it's only going to get more difficult and competitive for EK, especially if India and Pakistan ever gets their house in order.
E pur si muove -Galileo

will777

Thu May 10, 2012 4:23 pm

because they're profitable (~ it works). If they weren't, EK could hardly be called an ''achievement

This applies to literally any business in the entire world. If Apple lost money, they wouldn't be here anymore. But no, it is one of the most profitable companies in the world and continues to grow at amazing rates.

If Emirates is profitable, clearly they are doing something right, and they should continue to expand.

PanHAM

Thu May 10, 2012 4:59 pm

Quoting will777 (Reply 18):
This applies to literally any business in the entire world. If Apple lost money,

Apples are apples and peaches are peaches.

Apple is a manufacturer and airlines are service industry. You cannot compare manufacturers and service businesses both directly.

Does not even work in the same country.
powered by Eierlikör

HachikoDog

Thu May 10, 2012 6:06 pm

I´ll drink to that. EK has always been overpraised airline. Don´t know why... Because of IFE? Or B77W´s? There are a lot of better airlines than EK. Even in "low cost" concept...

something

Thu May 10, 2012 6:26 pm

Quoting LAXtoATL (Reply 7):
Curious do you even know what interest rates EK pays on their capital?

I don't, but it's a logical inference. Their default risk, with Abu Dhabi behind them, is practically zero. They also don't pay taxes and they don't have shareholders, ie they can repay their credits as freely as they please. EK can virtually use their entire profit for investments/depreciation. LH can't. A.) Legally, they can't depreciate more than their profits and B.) They need to pay off stake- and shareholders with about 2/3 of their profits, rendering their credit period - per default - 66% longer than that of EK.

Also, EK can also order in larger quantities than LH can. Buying 100 A380s will obviously get you a cheaper unit-price than buying 20 of them. Even if LH wanted to buy that many A380s, they could never find creditors to raise that much capital.

And to suggest they don't do hub feeding is just asinine! That is all they do, DXB is one of the largest airports in the world (pax traffic), not because Dubai is some sort of massive business center or tourist destination but because Emirates funnels almost all of its traffic through their DXB hub! I would bet their connecting traffic at their DXB hub is probably the largest percentage of any airline in the world, and certainly top 5.

Interesting. They can't seem to emphasize enough how valuable of a destination Dubai is, and that only 42% (or so) of their traffic are transits. If that isn't true, and DXB is as you say, nothing but an airport, what incentive would Germany have to grant EK more landing rights? Trade is quid pro quo, so if EK can suck all of the passengers out of Germany, what will the German airlines get in return? Germany has a population of 82m., Dubai has 0 if as you say, nobody leaves or enters the airplane there.

Not sure what you mean by supported by government. "Most major airlines" are supported by the government behind them. And all major airlines follow regulations!!! In fact they all follow the same regulations, because everywhere they fly they must adhere to the local regulations in place!
EK wants a new airport, they get it. EK doesn't want a ban on night flights, so there's none. EK doesn't want unions, so there are none. EK doesn't want labor protection, so there is none (hire today, fire tomorrow). EK doesn't want to pay benefits to their employees, or at least their employee's dependents, so they don't have to. I could extend this list for quite a bit.

Why? Because the government creates the most convenient business environment for EK, whereas in Western democracies, like it or not, the people create the business environment for the companies by being able to vote on what is cool and what is not. Night flights for example, are usually voted ''not cool'' in most countries. Ask LH what that is doing to their bottom line.

But I don't see how this is relevant. I have heard no complaints about former Emirates employees who were unjustly fired. I also hear very few complaints from employees about the airline mistreating or under paying them. Which ironically is quite unique, since that is a common complaint from employees of "most major airlines".

If having a boy- or girlfriend is a just cause for your employment's termination, to name just one of the many reasons people have gotten fired for, then you're probably right.

in other words there is nothing unique to Emirates.

Of course EK isn't unique. There are also Qatar, Oman, Etihad, Gulf Air etc. Heck, not even their business idea is unique as it's almost an identical copy of Singapore Airlines. They even copied Silk Air with FlyDubai. So I absolutely agree. EK isn't unique at all.

Quoting huaiwei (Reply 15):
That the recent upstarts have risen to rival the older airlines despite the current operating climate is surely something to be lauded.

Don't get me wrong, I do find the whole EK operation very impressive and laudable. More companies should be like them in many ways. Many of their marketing strategies are genius. But it's all been done before (SQ) and secondly, more companies probably would be like them if they had the means to. In view of those facts, I just don't find their results very impressive. They're decent and testament of the viability of their business model. If they [the numbers] weren't [decent], then what would EK be other than a failed dream, is what I'm trying to say. They make money, their model works, good for them, other airlines can learn things from them, but in light of what others are doing under much rougher conditions, EK are nothing new under the sun.

[Edited 2012-05-10 11:36:29]
..sick of it. -K. Pilkington.

FURUREFA

Thu May 10, 2012 6:27 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 8):
As something already said, put that in relation with the work conditions LH and AF/Kl have to live and deal with and the profit is not that bright at all. And, making that statement, I assume that they pay market prices for fuel.

Right, but in the end, it doesn't matter. If France wants more competitive airlines in the global market, then perhaps it should modify its work requirements and taxation levels. That's the thing with global trade.

It's not EK's fault they are headquartered in a country with low taxes, just like it's not AF's fault it operates in a country with regulatory policies that are hostile to business and investment.

Show me the rates at which EK raises capital? Do you know at what rate they most recently floated their debt? I remember hearing that last year they raised about $500 million at an interest rate of about 4% - that's what one would expect for a corporation of that size and stability.

Likewise, no airline has to do regional/domestic flying and hub feeding. The airline industries in the US (apart of EAS) and Europe are unregulated. They only fly the routes they do out of choice and strategy. No one forces DL to fly to AGS.

PanHAM

Thu May 10, 2012 8:43 pm

Quoting something (Reply 21):
They need to pay off stake- and shareholders with about 2/3 of their profits

In bad years the shareholders get nothing, in not so good years they get 0,25 € per share 8for 2011) and in the best year ever it was - i think € 1,10. In any case, 1/3 for the shareholders, 1/3 for the employees as boni and 1(3 retained in the company.

Even if LH wanted to buy that many A380s, they could never find creditors to raise that much capital.

That's not LHs ppolicy anyhow. i have shown here how EK finances some of their assets. LH is a bit more conservative. I don't have the time to analyse the annual returns, but EK is by far in a batter position, I mentioned that here as well.

Quoting FURUREFA (Reply 22):
It's not EK's fault they are headquartered in a country with low taxes,

There's nothing about fault, in business it's about facts. facts only is what companies have to cope with. Politics and business have different interestes, except in well run countries like Singapore. France or Germany won't change their social laws, the poltics are populistics and the industry is the cash cow that keeps it running.

In Dubai, the state owns not only the airline but the airport, the handling company, it runs the aviation authorities and most important, it sets the game rules as well. These are the facts, European, Asian and American airlines have to cope with.
powered by Eierlikör

greenwichsud

Thu May 10, 2012 9:30 pm

my my..

Just a few short years ago (when the A380 orders started rolling in) EK was the toast of Europe on these boards. The rhetoric has changed dramatically (a near 180 degree turn) now that it is clear just what they intended to do with all that capacity.

Likewise, no airline has to do regional/domestic flying and hub feeding.

I've always wondered how this model would work in the US - an airline that connected only the top 15-20 key domestic cities with reduced frequency and larger aircraft and placed a larger focus on international flying. Presumably that model is not workable here as no carrier seems to be moving wholeheartedly in that direction.

KAL7478

Thu May 10, 2012 10:35 pm

Quote HachicoDog "I´ll drink to that. EK has always been overpraised airline. Don´t know why... Because of IFE? Or B77W´s? There are a lot of better airlines than EK. Even in "low cost" concept..."

I beg to differ here, IMO EK has done well enough to deserve praise....Their IFE is one of the best if not the best in the business and 77W's are once again IMHO the best all around commercial aircrafts out there.
If it also happens to be the back bone of their fleet well that is a good thing, the bit about (a lot of other airlines better than Ek that is definitely up for debate).....

SuperCaravelle

RE: Air Tahiti Nui Chooses Oneworld

Thu May 10, 2012 11:00 pm

Look at how many EU airlines still serve Dubai, some even adding flights. It indicates both that EK is not on another planet and that Dubai is not only a transit hub, but also a important city on it's own.

[Edited 2012-05-10 16:01:50]

FURUREFA

Thu May 10, 2012 11:43 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 23):
It's not EK's fault they are headquartered in a country with low taxes,

There's nothing about fault, in business it's about facts. facts only is what companies have to cope with. Politics and business have different interestes, except in well run countries like Singapore. France or Germany won't change their social laws, the poltics are populistics and the industry is the cash cow that keeps it running.

In Dubai, the state owns not only the airline but the airport, the handling company, it runs the aviation authorities and most important, it sets the game rules as well. These are the facts, European, Asian and American airlines have to cope with.

Right, so the fact is that EK operates in an environment that is conducive to increasing capital growth, business, and investment. "Well run" is certainly a term that is subjective - I would argue that, in some ways, the UAE is indeed well run; do I agree with the government's social policies and every fiscal policy? Absolutely not, but that doesn't mean that their business-friendly practices make the country "poorly run".

Quoting greenwichsud (Reply 24):

Likewise, no airline has to do regional/domestic flying and hub feeding.

I've always wondered how this model would work in the US - an airline that connected only the top 15-20 key domestic cities with reduced frequency and larger aircraft and placed a larger focus on international flying. Presumably that model is not workable here as no carrier seems to be moving wholeheartedly in that direction.

I don't think it would work either, but no one forces US carriers to do so.

ElPistolero

Fri May 11, 2012 12:20 am

Why? Because the government creates the most convenient business environment for EK, whereas in Western democracies, like it or not, the people create the business environment for the companies by being able to vote on what is cool and what is not. Night flights for example, are usually voted ''not cool'' in most countries. Ask LH what that is doing to their bottom line.

Yes, but in other countries they are a fact of life. Most of India's international flights used to operate at night to get into Europe early AM. Flying patterns have been dictated by Europe to a large degree - with their limited hours, airlines around the world have to operate at all hours to make sure they can use their slots.

Not much sympathy there, I am afraid. Democracy means many things, but it does not mean NIMBYISM. If a democratic state cannot figure out what is in the national interest, choosing instead to bow down to one small group, then it isn't functioning very well. Some might even say that in cases like LHR and FRA, its a case of the tyranny of the minority.

These are, ultimately, self-inflicted wounds. Airplanes are noisy? Yes. Don't like it? Move elsewhere or soundproof your house.

If having a boy- or girlfriend is a just cause for your employment's termination, to name just one of the many reasons people have gotten fired for, then you're probably right.

I suppose. But then again, we live in a world where, despite the law, an employer can choose to not hire someone on the basis of their race, sexual orientation etc. The only catch is that the employer can't admit that was his reasoning. Granted, its difficult to fire someone if you never hire them in the first place. But then again, there is something to be said for honesty. I mean, one need only look at the waiting list for 'black' students at traditionally 'white' schools in the Netherlands to know that discrimination may be illegal, but the loopholes ensure that it persists.

Just a few short years ago (when the A380 orders started rolling in) EK was the toast of Europe on these boards. The rhetoric has changed dramatically (a near 180 degree turn) now that it is clear just what they intended to do with all that capacity.

Everyone's great. Till they become a threat. AC was quite willing to let EK in. All they wanted was 50% of the EKs profits, without actually spending a dime or investing anything on YYZ-DXB (think freeloading). EK said no, and the rest is history.

Quoting HachikoDog (Reply 20):
I´ll drink to that. EK has always been overpraised airline. Don´t know why... Because of IFE? Or B77W´s? There are a lot of better airlines than EK. Even in "low cost" concept...

If there is a list of the most pointless post on a.net, this will definitely make it.

Quoting SuperCaravelle (Reply 26):
Look at how many EU airlines still serve Dubai, some even adding flights. It indicates both that EK is not on another planet and that Dubai is not only a transit hub, but also a important city on it's own.

Either that, or AF flies pax to DXB so that they can connect to Mauritius or India. I quite enjoy the way people like belittling this little country.

Is EK a great airline? Not really. Has what it done for Dubai impressive? Probably.

juantrippe82

Fri May 11, 2012 12:32 am

There was an airline like that, I think it was called Pan Am . And we all know how that turned out.
Don't worry, I'm never wrong.

huaiwei

Fri May 11, 2012 2:05 am

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 16):
Now, EK is owned by the UAE government whereas LH is a private company, listed at the FRA stock exchange which gets slammed wth taxes and ETS trades by the German government. Besides that they have to observe all kind of laws, rules and regulations in a state ruled by the law where every citiuzen can sue the government, a company or any other authority. The UAE is ruled by decret. No need to say anmore.

Yes, and so LH and its predecesors were never government owned? Really?

Read my comment again, as I implied that EK is now growing at a stage of its history similar to how most modern Western carriers today used to be government-supported or owned during their growth spurts, which is often the most challenging periods for a company. Once the market and the company stabilises, and the airline has archieved significant market share, they are better able to survive after privatisation.

Hence I find that it reeks of double standards when people insist upstarts from less developed economies should operate in the same social/politica/economic environment as their peers in more developed economies, just because they are now direct competitors.

As many has said, it is not EK's fault that it's government adopted business-friendly policies. As thriving democracies, western nations have only themselves to blame if they continue to elect populist governments who are not neccesarily doing the things companies desire.

more companies probably would be like them if they had the means to.

Again, it is the company's choice. May I also point out that although the aviation industry is one of the most regulated ones around, companies ambitious and determined enough can find ways to plant themselves in places with more favourable business climates. Some airlines buy up stakes in other carriers precisely for this purpose, and where politically/jurisdically possible, even establish wholely-owned subsidiaries there.

Qantas is one example of a company trying to uproot themselves from their homeland and implant themselves in Asia to ensure their own long-term survival, although of course we know it was met with domestic opposition. But if the business gets to run the way it should be run, it is exactly the best way forward for them. So ultimately, let us blame less on the circumstances beyond our control, and focus on how best we can take full advantage of any available opportunities open to us.

[Edited 2012-05-10 19:06:18]

flightsimer

Fri May 11, 2012 2:52 am

Quoting juantrippe82 (Reply 29):

I was thinking the same thing, but when deregulation came, it did not allow PanAm to expand what little of a domestic route system it had on its own. Therefore, to keep from loosing all it's market share to the other airlines that had Domestic markets, it was forced into buying airlines which had a domestic system. When they bought national they paid way too much and could never recover from it.

I could see a new airline being able to do it successfully if they chose to do that type of airline.
Commercial Pilot- SEL, MEL, Instrument

cheeken

Fri May 11, 2012 2:55 am

Quoting huaiwei (Reply 9):
Meanwhile, SQ's profits also plunged 69% for the Jan-Mar 2012 period. It must be a truly pathetic airline to do this badly despite all the advantages!

I think EK has the huge advantage of having a website that works...   

docpepz

Fri May 11, 2012 3:06 am

SIA's bond yields are 2.15%, while when EK issued bonds they had a coupon rate of 5.1%. As such, SQ can raise money at much lower interest rates (but they are sitting on billions of dollars of cash, so only issue bonds every now and then just for purposes of rebalancing their balance sheet)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/09/21/sia-idUSSGE68K00520100921

http://gulfnews.com/business/aviatio...-dives-as-travel-picks-up-1.991888

This is largely because Singapore's sovereign rating is rated higher than the UAE, and Singapore generally has extremely low interest rates for a variety of reasons (safe haven flows, enormous liquidity in the banking system, etc) . For example, I can get a housing loan at 1% interest or less these days, compared to an Australian who has to pay 6% to borrow in AUD in his own country, or even an American who has to pay 4%.

The income tax I would pay in Singapore on $100k USD is around 5% after deductions, whereas for someone in Australia or the US it would be 25-30%.

Is it my fault that I can get access to capital far more cheaply than an American or Australian, or that I have access to a lower tax regime? Is it SQ's fault that they can raise capital cheaply in Singapore (as with any other company who wants to issue SGD bonds) In the same vein, is it EK's fault that they come from a tax free state, and also can raise capital fairly easily?

If low taxes, no night curfew and access to a flexible labour force is the be all and end all, then Etihad and Qatar Airways should be making billions today. Alas, they're not even profitable or barely breaking even. So Emirates obviously is doing something right.

lightsaber
Crew

Fri May 11, 2012 3:15 am

Their default risk, with Abu Dhabi behind them, is practically zero.

EY competes with EK. If anything, Abu Dhabi has been trying to curb there once lesser cousin.

EK wants a new airport, they get it. EK doesn't want a ban on night flights, so there's none.

I remember once upon a time Western nations tried to expand their transportation options. I've posted many a time on a.net that I have a theory that the mid-east hubs were incubated in an environment of night-curfews and lack of European hub expansion that allowed their rapid growth. That isn't a fault. For service to and from Europe, middle of the night operations are required for a mid-east or Indian based hub. It is adapting to a competitive necessity.

Presumably that model is not workable here as no carrier seems to be moving wholeheartedly in that direction.

For the model to work, limited bilateral rights need to be present.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

Max Q

Fri May 11, 2012 5:43 am

Quoting KAL7478 (Reply 25):
Quote HachicoDog "I´ll drink to that. EK has always been overpraised airline. Don´t know why... Because of IFE? Or B77W´s? There are a lot of better airlines than EK. Even in "low cost" concept..."

I beg to differ here, IMO EK has done well enough to deserve praise....Their IFE is one of the best if not the best in the business

Seriously, this is how we judge Airlines these days ?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

PanHAM

Fri May 11, 2012 5:52 am

Quoting huaiwei (Reply 30):
Yes, and so LH and its predecesors were never government owned? Really?

These were the days of national carriers, when infrastructure that was vital for the rest of the industry needed to be build up. We can talk about this again after EK went public, floated on major world stock exchanges and without any control of the Dubai government, not even a seat on the supervisory board. And no DXB stockholding as well.

Quoting huaiwei (Reply 30):
As many has said, it is not EK's fault that it's government adopted business-friendly policies. As thriving democracies, western nations have only themselves to blame if they continue to elect populist governments who are not neccesarily doing the things companies desire.

And I say again, in business it is not about fault it is only about facts. I made a compliment towards SIN saying that your country is efficiently run. I may add, at the expense of some democratic rights, but still a fairly free country. In the western democracies, the days of the realists will come because it is inevitable. In Germany, we are on the proper way, at least until the next election.

At the end of the day, countries like the UAE will have to learn that they have to live with some restrictions on traffic rights. Honestly, I cannot understand it anyway, they have exfcellent rigfhts in Germany, what the complaint really is