aeroblogger
Topic Author

Indian Aviation Thread: Part ९७ (97)

Fri May 11, 2012 10:16 pm

Well, Part 96 has hit 200 posts, so it's time for a new thread!

http://www.business-standard.com/ind...ts-blink-say-ready-to-talk/474161/

Air India contingency plan is clarified:

Quote:
Meanwhile, the airline plans to wet-lease four aircraft (which come with pilots and crew) and cut the number of flights to Europe and the US from 32 to 14 a day. “From Monday morning, we will operate flights according to the new contingency plan. We have sent a request to the airports in Europe and the US, where we operate, to allot us new slots and their replies are expected by Saturday afternoon,” said Brara. He said the domestic operations were hassle-free.

The wet-leased craft would be used to operate five more flights. “A final plan will be ready by tomorrow, when we get the clearance for slots from the airports and from the leasing companies,” he added.

Due to the agitation, AI has lost Rs 48 crore in revenue and has had to spend Rs 20 crore more in providing accommodation and other facilities to stranded passengers.

In addition to the wet-lease aircraft, AI is planning to operate as many flights as possible using management pilots and a small amount of ICPA pilots who are certified on the 777/747. In addition, AI is asking some pilots who took early retirement to return for a few days until this situation is sorted out. That might mean some 747s going to unusual destinations - a nice opportunity for spotters to see the beautiful bird.

[Edited 2012-05-11 15:19:01]
Airports 2012: IXE HYD DEL BLR BOM CCU KNU KTM BKK SIN ICN LAX BUR SFO PHX IAH ORD EWR PHL PVD BOS FRA MUC IST

anshuk

RE: Indian Aviation Thread: Part ९७ (97)

Sat May 12, 2012 12:01 am

From the previous thread:

That's what I was saying. Don't let them contact you with alternatives. YOU tell THEM then alternative you want to get booked on, get it endorsed over, and then go to the new carrier and finish the process. It takes 15-20 minutes (plus hold times), but then you're done.

--> I didn't know you could do that! Well, you learn something new on a.net every day!   but the issue I faced was that the person on the phone claimed that they weren't part of the rebooking/refund department and there was no way I could be transferred to them!

aeroblogger
Topic Author

Sat May 12, 2012 12:14 am

Quoting anshuk (Reply 1):
I didn't know you could do that! Well, you learn something new on a.net every day! but the issue I faced was that the person on the phone claimed that they weren't part of the rebooking/refund department and there was no way I could be transferred to them!

There is no such thing as a rebooking department. Air Carriers have interline agreements with each other, which do lots of functions, like allowing you to book multiple airlines on a single ticket. Air India, being a legacy carrier, has interline agreements with most other major (non-LCC) carriers in the world.

When trouble occurs (called IRROPS or irregular operations in the industry), airlines can "endorse" your ticket over to another carrier which it has an interline agreement with. That carrier would accept the value of the ticket you bought in order to transport you. This is mutually beneficial for the original carrier (gets customer off their back to their destination, hopefully to customer's satisfaction), the new carrier (another seat is filled), and the passengers (gets to destination).

If you see a flight with availability that you want to go on, you should go to Air India and patiently demand that your ticket be endorsed to the new routing which you want (assuming the new carrier is willing to accept the ticket).

Obviously this is a gross oversimplification, but I'm not really sure how to explain more in detail without writing a book or something.

However, one thing which is useful to know - normally, only the carrier which ticketed you (usually which you are going to fly on) can endorse your ticket. However, in Star Alliance (and I think the other alliances too, but I'm not sure), any Star Alliance airline can endorse your ticket. If Air India had joined Star Alliance already, instead of having to beg Air India to endorse your ticket, you could simply go to say, Lufthansa, and ask them to "take control" of your ticket so you can be rebooked onto LH.
Airports 2012: IXE HYD DEL BLR BOM CCU KNU KTM BKK SIN ICN LAX BUR SFO PHX IAH ORD EWR PHL PVD BOS FRA MUC IST

anshuk

Sat May 12, 2012 12:25 am

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 2):

Thank you for that explanation. I'll keep this in mind if I ever get stuck in this sort of a situation again!

kiwiandrew

Sat May 12, 2012 12:33 am

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 2):
However, in Star Alliance (and I think the other alliances too, but I'm not sure), any Star Alliance airline can endorse your ticket. If Air India had joined Star Alliance already, instead of having to beg Air India to endorse your ticket, you could simply go to say, Lufthansa, and ask them to "take control" of your ticket so you can be rebooked onto LH.

I'm sorry, but I think you are oversimplifying matters here.

First of all, not all tickets on *A carriers are freely changeable to another *A carrier, secondly, the endorsement has to be done by the issuing carrier ( unless the fare is of a type which is valid on all *A carriers) .

Even if AI were a member of *A if a ticket on their stock carries an endorsement stating 'valid on AI only' ( and I can virtually guarantee that some fares will have similar endorsements to that) LH cannot just decide to 'take over' the ticket.... unless they are happy to fly the AI pax for free. On the other hand, if AI as the ticket 'owner' are prepared to endorse that ticket over to another carrier ( whether that carrier is *A or someone else) that is their prerogative. ( Though they may be very reluctant to do so as the other carrier , depending on what agreements exist between them and AI, may bill them for far more than the pax actually paid to AI in the first place)

I think you may be getting confused by the fact that tickets which are issued for actual *A alliance fare products ( such as RTW, Circle Pacific and so on) require no endorsement between *A carriers. This does not mean that I can take a UA issued ticket for say, NRT-SIN, and decide that regardless of any restrictions on the fare, I will go over to SQ and get them to endorse it and accept me for carriage if the UA flight is disrupted for some reason.

aeroblogger
Topic Author

Sat May 12, 2012 12:40 am

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 4):

I'm sorry, but I think you are oversimplifying matters here.

No need to apologize - I know I'm oversimplifying, I just don't know how to explain it better.

However, I suggest you go do some reading on "Star Alliance Endorsement Waiver"

It's incredibly useful to know.

Edit: link for you
http://www.starallianceemployees.com...eference_guide/rg_ticketing.1.html

[Edited 2012-05-11 17:45:15]

kiwiandrew

Sat May 12, 2012 1:45 am

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 5):
However, I suggest you go do some reading on "Star Alliance Endorsement Waiver"

It's incredibly useful to know.

Edit: link for you
http://www.starallianceemployees.com....html

It is indeed useful, and I would certainly recommend reading it

for example it mentions that the endorsement waiver applies:

provided that:
A. such tickets or MCOs do not bear carrier validation restrictions, which by their terms prohibit the transfer of the ticket or MCOs such as “Valid on XX only” and “Non-Endorsable”;
B. such tickets or MCOs are not governed by fare rules that prohibit transfer of the ticket to the other party.

This is very important because many tickets issued by member carriers will contain such endorsements. Don't get me wrong, it is a useful programme for dealing with irrops, but it is far from being a blanket waiver covering all tickets issued by all *A carriers.

aeroblogger
Topic Author

Sat May 12, 2012 1:52 am

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 6):

This is very important because many tickets issued by member carriers will contain such endorsements. Don't get me wrong, it is a useful programme for dealing with irrops, but it is far from being a blanket waiver covering all tickets issued by all *A carriers.

This whole discussion was about how to handle IRROPS:

As it says on the website:
When an airline undergoes a schedule change or encounters an irregularity in accordance with the general provisions of IATA Resolution 735D, the two Star Alliance member carriers agree to grant airport control (and thereby waive the endorsement requirement) for the following:
A. non-restricted tickets;
B. restricted tickets;
C. frequent flyer redemption tickets.
No endorsement required for any fare types when an airline encounters an irregular operation (within 24 hours of departure).
Does not apply to ID tickets.

Therefore, with the exception of SQ (which I should have mentioned), it should work in all IRROPS cases that I can imagine a (non-staff) passenger to be in.

HAWK21M

Sat May 12, 2012 9:56 am

Whats the news on Volks & quikjet status.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

aeroblogger
Topic Author

Sat May 12, 2012 9:59 am

I'll give Volk a call on Monday asking for an update. I've got Radhika Rao's cell number, but I wouldn't want to get her pissed off at me for not calling during business hours...

As for Quikjet, I have not heard any new developments in a while. I think they are still waiting on funding.

I haven't heard anything about Air Costa (LEPL) either - they were hoping to launch this autumn last I heard. I'd think they'd be trying to sell tickets/get publicity if they want to launch so soon.

BSLFRA

Sat May 12, 2012 11:05 am

Air India flying normally FRA-DEL-FRA
Today we have a
AI 127 Chicago 08:30 Estimated departure 12:30

BSLFRA

Sat May 12, 2012 11:06 am

Arrival news in Frankfurt today
AI 121 Delhi 06:55 Expected arrival 11:30

aeroblogger
Topic Author

Sat May 12, 2012 11:17 am

Well, at least it's operating. This is a good sign.

Hopefully more pilots will arrive at work tonight.

HAWK21M

Sat May 12, 2012 11:23 am

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 9):

Has Volks got their AOP already.....

JOYA380B747

Sat May 12, 2012 11:28 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 8):

Whats the news on Volks & quikjet status.

It says they have/going to have 12 A320s. Where are they getting them from? There is no solid news I find about them anywhere. And the seat plan has a 3 class layout. I'm sorry but is that going to work on domestic Indian routes?
If it wasn't for AI and those money mongers sitting in the parliament, 9W would have been as big as SQ...:(

aeroblogger
Topic Author

Sat May 12, 2012 11:40 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 13):

Has Volks got their AOP already.....

Lol, they haven't even gotten an NOC, forget AOP.

Quoting JOYA380B747 (Reply 14):

It says they have/going to have 12 A320s. Where are they getting them from? There is no solid news I find about them anywhere. And the seat plan has a 3 class layout. I'm sorry but is that going to work on domestic Indian routes?

I'm skeptical. I'll request an interview when I call Monday, hopefully some more light can be shed on the airline.

JOYA380B747

Sun May 13, 2012 2:12 pm

Any news on when Spicejet is planning to start flights to new destinations that they've planned, I believe they are waiting until further 737 deliveries, or will they increase their current fleet utilization?

If they start BKK HKG DXB, I'm expecting some very competitive airfare wars with the local budget airlines flying from these destinations... That coupled with the uncertainty of AI and KF international flights and SG is looking at a modest expansion in the near future.
If it wasn't for AI and those money mongers sitting in the parliament, 9W would have been as big as SQ...:(

ojas

Sun May 13, 2012 2:14 pm

According to the GDS, Effective 01 September CX will increase HKG - MAA from 4 weekly to daily flights using an A333. There has been a recent amendment in the HKG - India bilateral wherein airlines like SG, 6E have been given rights to fly to HKG. Also KA has filed for HKG - CCU flights using an A320.
Great leaders don't tell you what to do ... they show you how it's done!

JOYA380B747

Sun May 13, 2012 2:22 pm

Quoting ojas (Reply 17):
Also KA has filed for HKG - CCU flights using an A320.

KA might just be the first new airline planning CCU flights with the new terminal in mind. Expecting more such CCU-centred aviation news in the months to come.....   

ojas

Mon May 14, 2012 4:22 am

According to the GDS, Effective 07th June 9W to increase flights between BOM and KWI from daily to 11 weekly.

9W 574 BOM - KWI 2145 2320 Th, Fr, Sa, Su
9W 573 KWI - BOM 0030 0705 Mo, Fr, Sa, Su

Aircraft: B737-800
Great leaders don't tell you what to do ... they show you how it's done!

HAWK21M

Mon May 14, 2012 12:38 pm

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 15):

Lol, they haven't even gotten an NOC, forget AOP.

Exactly.....Why I was wondering.....Nothings on line then why the noise.....  

LAXDESI

Mon May 14, 2012 4:49 pm

Fly first, talks later: Government to striking Air India pilots.
http://www1.economictimes.indiatimes...ia-pilots/articleshow/13138558.cms

Quote:
"Fly first, talks later" was Government's firm message to striking Air India pilots refusing to resume work for the seventh day today, as the airline stopped West-bound bookings for another two days and contemplated suspending global operations.

As losses in the wake of the agitation by over 200 pilots of the Indian Pilots Guild crossed over Rs.150 crore, 14 international flights were cancelled, bringing no end to the woes of the passengers.

The airline, which had stopped taking bookings for flights to North America and Europe till Tuesday, extended the period till May 17, airline officials said. One of the options being mulled is shutting international operations temporarily till a resolution to the stir is reached, they said.

na

Mon May 14, 2012 5:04 pm

So AI is still desparately trying to lease out some of its surplus 777s? They are trying to do so since 1 1/2 years or so, but there are no takers.

vikramv1

Tue May 15, 2012 11:10 am

Jet Airways is cancelling its Mumbai- Bahrain service from 16th June 2012, citing poor profitability.

http://airliners1.com/2012/05/jet-ai...-intl-ops-cancels-bahrain-service/

aeroblogger
Topic Author

Tue May 15, 2012 11:37 am

Quoting na (Reply 22):
So AI is still desparately trying to lease out some of its surplus 777s? They are trying to do so since 1 1/2 years or so, but there are no takers.

Yes.

Every time they find a lessee, they have to go through the whole government approval process (which takes 6+ months), by which time the lessee's situation has changed or they found a new lessor.

AI really needs to be exempted from these bureaucratic time-wastes. The amount of money the inefficiency calls them is staggering.

Heavierthanair

Tue May 15, 2012 11:47 am

G´day

I just found this bit on Air India pilots having been sacked

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...rvices-as-strikes-continue-371912/

Quote:
Air India has sacked 71 pilots and cancelled as many as 17 international services because of an ongoing labour dispute
Unquote:

I do not quite get why sacking Indian Airlines pilots - pilots flying domestically - would lead to cancellation of international flights. I doubt Air India 747 pilots are now flying Indian Airlines 320´ies   

Cheers

Peter

[Edited 2012-05-15 04:50:45]
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein, 1879 - 1955)

comorin

Tue May 15, 2012 12:02 pm

I notice airfares are pretty high - BLR-DEL around Rs 15K. Is this normal or because of the AI and IT debacle?

aeroblogger
Topic Author

Tue May 15, 2012 12:04 pm

Quoting Heavierthanair (Reply 25):
G´day

I just found this bit on Air India pilots having been sacked

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...rvices-as-strikes-continue-371912/

Quote:
Air India has sacked 71 pilots and cancelled as many as 17 international services because of an ongoing labour dispute
Unquote:

I do not quite get why sacking Indian Airlines pilots - pilots flying domestically - would lead to cancellation of international flights. I doubt Air India 747 pilots are now flying Indian Airlines 320´ies

Cheers

Peter

No Indian Airlines (ICPA) pilots have been sacked. Only IPG (Air India International) pilots.

LAXDESI

Wed May 16, 2012 3:17 am

It seems that the AI pilots union is unwilling to call off the strike before the terminated pilots are taken back first. Is there any chance that some AI pilots may never be reinstated to send a signal of toughness by the mgmt. and the ministry?
http://www1.economictimes.indiatimes...ingers-on/articleshow/13158968.cms

Quote:
The strike by Air India pilots entered its eighth day on Tuesday with no signs of a possible resolution of the deadlock. Neither the civil aviation ministry nor the Air India management made any moves to initiate talks with the striking pilots.

"There is no initiative from either the management or the civil aviation ministry to start a dialogue. At least some assurance can be given by them that our demands are justified and that they will seriously look at the issues. There is no question of resuming flights till such time as sacked pilots are taken back," said Jitendra Awhad, president of the Indian Pilots' Guild.

aeroblogger
Topic Author

Wed May 16, 2012 5:54 pm

Well, everyone was slamming the IPG over this strike, but I decided to write a piece from their position (I will write a piece from management position next, and hopefully one with ICPA too). Hopefully, my readers are intelligent enough to be able to figure out their opinion after hearing everyone out  

Some of the thing they have to say are a lot more complicated than they initially appear...

Here's an excerpt, because the whole thing is 1500 words+:
http://aeroblogger.com/home/blog/air-india-strike-ipg-perspective/

Quote:
Editorial note: the author does not endorse this perspective, he is simply explaining it for the purpose of public understanding.

As everyone surely is aware by now, the Indian Pilots Guild, Air India’s pre-merger pilot union, is striking right now. What many people do not know is why. Why is the IPG striking?

The mass media was very quick to criticize the IPG. Coming right after a 30,000 crore rupees bailout package was passed, inconveniencing thousands of passengers, and costing Air India 10 or 20 crores a day (not to mention brand damage), this strike was definitely a nuclear option. The IPG pilots not only feel that this strike was justified, they also feel that their perspective and requests are being trivialized.

“There are a lot of legitimate complaints we have. [Minister of Civil Aviation] Ajit Singh has said as much,” said a striking IPG first officer who declined to be named. “Even after saying this, the management and government are doing nothing, and the media, which doesn’t understand the whole story, continues to blast our positions.”

The first complaint that the IPG has concerns Boeing 787 Dreamliner training. The IPG feels that only they should be permitted to fly these state-of-the-art aircraft, ordered by erstwhile Air India. Management feels that the aircraft should be divided on a 1:1 basis between the IPG and the ICPA, erstwhile Indian Airlines’ trade union. The media was quick to criticize this demand, calling the union greedy and selfish. From a layperson’s view, the management seems to make sense – this is a new state-of-the-art aircraft, and all pilots in the merged company should have a chance to fly it.

However, IPG doesn’t see it that way. Air India took delivery of all the new aircraft ordered for Indian Airlines. In addition to taking delivery of these aircraft, Air India also recruited more than enough pilots – in fact, Indian has far more commanders (Captains) than Air India does, because commander upgrades are done within 4 or 5 years, and are time-based instead of requirement-based. Time-based upgrade policy means that no matter what, after a set period of time, the pilot will get upgraded. In comparison, requirement-based policy means that upgrades will only occur if there is requirement for another commander. Air India pays ICPA commanders higher salaries than first officers, at the expense of the company, despite the fact that these commanders are not necessary. With all the aircraft delivered, Indian Airlines has roughly 800 pilots operating 66 aircraft.

In comparison, despite hiring enough pilots to operate all 50 aircraft ordered for erstwhile AI, the IPG only flies 22 aircraft. Since Air India pilots get upgraded to commander at a later stage than their Indian Airlines counterparts, and their contract only allows them to upgrade if there is the necessity for a commander, operating less jets than expected is a severe hit to young IPG pilots’ career progression.

So IPG feels that the management’s decision to let Indian Airlines commanders also fly the 787 is to cut down on salary costs, at the direct expense of IPG members. Since Indian Airlines will produce commanders whether the combined company needs them or not, while erstwhile Air India pilots will not be upgraded unless there are actual aircraft for them to fly, it makes sense to management to send ICPA members to train for the 787.

While some IPG pilots that I’ve communicated with concede that while Air India is losing money, and it does make sense to the management to try to save money, this is not an appropriate way. There are many ways to cut costs that do not affect pilot pay or benefits, and they listed many in a press release. They are very unhappy about it for obvious reasons – they make less money, have less flexibility, and lose other advantages of working for Air India that they thought they had. Not only this, but the IPG claims that management is flouting promises made shortly after the merger took place.

keep reading

Thoughts?

golfradio

Wed May 16, 2012 7:13 pm

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 29):

I don't get it. Are there still two contracts, one for the IPG and one for the ICPA? Wasn't the seniority list merged? If not this merger is a cluster f*ck.
Bring back the old site.

aeroblogger
Topic Author

Wed May 16, 2012 7:20 pm

Quoting golfradio (Reply 30):

I don't get it. Are there still two contracts, one for the IPG and one for the ICPA? Wasn't the seniority list merged? If not this merger is a cluster f*ck.

Everything has been merged except for labor. Cabin Crews, Pilots, and Maintenance/Engineering are still separated.
Much like US Airways was for the longest time...

golfradio

Wed May 16, 2012 8:01 pm

I can understand their beef. They literally got shafted on this one. Though I am anti union and don't support strikes, I can understand where they are coming from.

Ajit Singh is on record saying that this merger was a mistake. An admittance that is too little too late. It's hard to believe that Praful Patel took two profitable entities and flushed them down the toilet.
Bring back the old site.

LAXDESI

Thu May 17, 2012 4:34 pm

No end to Air India pilots' stir; High Court warns of contempt action. IPG may file an appeal with the Supreme Court.
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...pt-action/articleshow/13224177.cms

Quotes:
With no end in sight to the 10-day stir by over 200 Air India pilots, the Delhi High Court today warned they could face contempt action for "wilfully and flagrantly" disobeying court orders and continuing with their "illegal" agitation.

Rejecting the IPG plea, the court said, "in our view, no litigant can avail of any discretionery remedy from the court by wilfully and flagrantly disobeying the orders of the court."

vtnyc

Thu May 17, 2012 4:55 pm

Quoting golfradio (Reply 32):
Ajit Singh is on record saying that this merger was a mistake.

That is his opinion. One or a dozen people saying it does not make it so. In the face of competition form behemoths like EK, LH, BA not to mention emerging local carriers like 9W and merging the two state entities made perfect sense, seamless connectivity between the local towns to cities across the globe. As usual the job was half baked by leaving the workforce disjoint. What AI/IC needs is a form bankruptcy that in addition to wiping the slate clean of all the financial obligations should also eliminate all union contracts.
First Flight, PA001 DEL-FRA-LHR-JFK; Dream- JFK-COK on a B6 787

golfradio

Thu May 17, 2012 5:16 pm

Quoting vtnyc (Reply 34):
In the face of competition form behemoths like EK, LH, BA not to mention emerging local carriers like 9W and merging the two state entities made perfect sense, seamless connectivity between the local towns to cities across the globe

The bottom line is both the airlines were *profitable*. Except for EK, none of the other airlines were profitable. The seamless connectivity could have been solved in other ways like code sharing, interlining and easy domestic to international transfers. There are always other creative ways to solve a problem than the obvious, which could be a bad decision, like in this case.
Bring back the old site.

vivekman2006

Fri May 18, 2012 3:47 am

Quoting ojas (Reply 17):
There has been a recent amendment in the HKG - India bilateral wherein airlines like SG, 6E have been given rights to fly to HKG. Also KA has filed for HKG - CCU flights using an A320.

How big is the HKG-CCU market?

Also, I don't think a 738 or an A320 can do DEL/BOM/MAA - HKG, can they? If not, then how would SG & 6E benefit from the HKG rights considering they do not have widebodies currently?

vivekman2006

Fri May 18, 2012 3:54 am

Quoting comorin (Reply 26):
I notice airfares are pretty high - BLR-DEL around Rs 15K. Is this normal or because of the AI and IT debacle?

AI domestic doesn't seem to have been affected much. The domestic aircraft are all ex-IC A32x flown by ex-IC pilots who are not on strike.

Apr-June is also the time when many Indians travel for a holiday, because of summer vacations in schools.

WestWing

Fri May 18, 2012 4:26 am

Looks like the 787 delivery will actually happen this month - based on the flurry of reports that were critical of the email that the Civil Aviation Ministry sent inviting journalists for an all-paid junket w/ Mr. Singh to Seattle/Charleston May 28-31.
The best time to plant a tree is 40 years ago. The second best time is today.

RobK

Fri May 18, 2012 9:38 am

Quoting WestWing (Reply 38):
Looks like the 787 delivery will actually happen this month - based on the flurry of reports that were critical of the email that the Civil Aviation Ministry sent inviting journalists for an all-paid junket w/ Mr. Singh to Seattle/Charleston May 28-31.

VT-ANH set for 29 May. VT-AND has slipped to mid June.

aeroblogger
Topic Author

Fri May 18, 2012 9:53 am

Quoting robk (Reply 39):

VT-ANH set for 29 May. VT-AND has slipped to mid June.

Source?

comorin

Fri May 18, 2012 2:14 pm

Quoting vivekman2006 (Reply 37):
Quoting comorin (Reply 26):

AI domestic doesn't seem to have been affected much. The domestic aircraft are all ex-IC A32x flown by ex-IC pilots who are not on strike.

Apr-June is also the time when many Indians travel for a holiday, because of summer vacations in schools.

Thank you Vivek. I have been in BLR for the last few months and planning trips to SIN and DEL. I guess the rock bottom fares will return after the hols are over?

Also, I note that IT schedules still show up on sites like makemytrip.com etc. Does it mean that they are still flying, and isn't it just too risky to book flights on IT ?

aeroblogger
Topic Author

Fri May 18, 2012 2:24 pm

Quoting comorin (Reply 41):

Also, I note that IT schedules still show up on sites like makemytrip.com etc. Does it mean that they are still flying, and isn't it just too risky to book flights on IT ?

Yes to first part, no to second. They're still flying, but I wouldn't step anywhere near one of their planes.

comorin

Fri May 18, 2012 3:45 pm

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 42):
They're still flying, but I wouldn't step anywhere near one of their planes.

Thanks - though I was concerned about cancellation risk...

aeroblogger
Topic Author

Fri May 18, 2012 4:19 pm

Quoting comorin (Reply 43):
Thanks - though I was concerned about cancellation risk...

It's not just cancellation risk. Staff are demotivated, cabins are in tatters (I'd rather not think about what the state of their maintenance department could be right now), and the "food" which they attempt to serve is simply not edible.

(Just to clarify after getting asked multiple times: I am not suggesting that IT is unsafe. The DGCA is still carrying out daily inspections on their aircraft, and I am confident that the aircraft are being maintained properly. However, the state of cabin interiors don't exactly inspire confidence. That's all)

[Edited 2012-05-18 09:47:04]

LAXDESI

Fri May 18, 2012 4:57 pm

SpiceJet snatches No 3 slot from Air India in April. Indigo seems to be galloping towards no.1 spot.
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...-in-april/articleshow/13271761.cms

Quote:
Despite a marginal improvement in the seat factor, the national carrier Air India has lost its market share in April, helping the low-cost airline SpiceJet to become the third largest airline in the month with a market share of 17.7 per cent, according to the latest data from the sectoral regulator DGCA.

The fall in the market share of AI is significant as the national carrier has seen an improvement in its seat factor from 68.9 to 70.5 per cent in the reporting month.

The Chennai-based airline saw its seat factor jumping a full 7 per centage points to 80 (second best in the industry) in April from 73 in March, while the second biggest gainer on this front was IndiGo, which saw its seat factor rising from 76.5 per cent in March to 82 per cent in April, which is the highest in the industry.

However, the biggest gainer in the month was IndiGo, whose market share jumped from 21.9 per cent to 23.8 per cent, while Jet Group, too, lost a tad of its market share from 29.2 in March to 28.2 per cent in April.

LAXDESI

Sat May 19, 2012 5:39 pm

Stories of how AI employees stole from the airline.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/article3436439.ece?homepage=true

Quote:
Even as Air India struggles to survive on the back of an Rs.30,000 crore government bailout, investigations conducted by its vigilance wing have unearthed over 160 cases where employees milked the airline by stealing liquor, caviar and other luxury goods from aircraft.

The cases, Union Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh has said in response to a question in the Lok Sabha, included a flight purser who was dismissed from service after he was apprehended with 372 mini-liquor bottles by customs at Delhi's Indira Gandhi International Airport. Similarly, a catering officer was found with Rs. 20,200 worth of caviar tins that were missing from a special charter flight.

Large scale malpractices, the Minister said, ran through the airline. Air India officials selected five-star hotels in New York, Chicago and Mumbai for cockpit crew without following the tender procedure, while the bills were raised at a Delhi airport restaurant for delayed departure even though the flight was on time.

Bogus attendance, inflated bills and overtime claims were also unearthed during investigations. For instance, two senior officers were found guilty of procuring portable entertainment appliances and ground pods through a middleman, thus causing loss to the tune of $1.6 million besides a recurring cost of over Rs. 7 crore per annum for equipment which were hardly used.

Mr. Singh said even highly-paid pilots had engaged in malpractices, with several found to have been claiming allowances to which they were not entitled. In one case, a pilot was actually found to be working for another airline while continuing to draw a salary from Air India. Air India officials, the Minister said, made payments of allowances linked to time spent for flying aircraft from the date their contracts began--whereas they were only certified to fly aircraft a month later.

Junior staff at Air India were not far behind in following their seniors. Air India officials, the Minister said, frequently misused their position to get their relatives and friends upgraded.

HAWK21M

Sun May 20, 2012 7:50 am

Bz/DHL to get its next B752PCF next month..... VT-BDO.

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 44):
Staff are demotivated

mgmt needs to get things working......fast....

vivekman2006

Mon May 21, 2012 3:58 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 47):

Bz/DHL to get its next B752PCF next month..... VT-BDO.

What's the fleet like now? Are the 732Fs still operational?

HAWK21M

Mon May 21, 2012 8:32 am

Quoting vivekman2006 (Reply 48):

What's the fleet like now? Are the 732Fs still operational?

The Last Two B732SFs will retire in 2013.In addition its the 2 B752SF & 3 B752PCF.