randyh3253
Topic Author

US 767's - inflight map?

Thu May 17, 2012 5:18 am

Okay this is a stupid question and the fine folks at US tells me no US aircraft have real time maps onboard. As a Chairman's Preferred member I know that is false as the A330's have those on the PTV's at every seat. On all my international/overseas flights I have always been on an A330, now for the first time in a few days I'll be on a 767. So my question is does the 767's have a real time map at the PTV's in Envoy or on the overhead monitors? I know you guys know more than the US folks who even told me the A330's don't have this capability...I just know I'm going to go crazy on a 10 hour flight and not have the slightest clue as to where I am.

Cipango

US 767's - inflight map?

Thu May 17, 2012 10:56 am

Quoting randyh3253 (Thread starter):
I know you guys know more than the US folks who even told me the A330's don't have this capability

Its true. I flew them LGW-CLT in January and hadn't an idea of flight time, location, airspeed etc. It wasn't until we began our approach into CLT that I had an idea of how long was left.

All flights that I've been on that has a PTV has always had an inflight map, albeit a basic one at times.

It was something that took me by surprise.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

cha747

US 767's - inflight map?

Thu May 17, 2012 11:45 am

Aren't most of those 767 ex-Piedmont? I'd think that adding the necessary equipment would add cost and weight that US probably don't want to deal with. Anyway, why not just sleep, watch a movie on a tablet/computer, or read a book? We've all become too reliant on GPS and knowing exactly where we are at any moment in time. In an a/c, as passengers we can't control where we are so what's the point of knowing? Besides it kinda scares me when those displays show how high up we are and how cold it is outside. Why not just set our watches to destination local time and anticipate time of arrival at time of departure and enjoy the flight?
You land a million planes safely, then you have one little mid-air and you never hear the end of it - Pushing Tin

flashmeister

RE: US 767's - Inflight Map?

Thu May 17, 2012 7:39 pm

Quoting cha747 (Reply 2):
In an a/c, as passengers we can't control where we are so what's the point of knowing?

Because some people enjoy it. If you want to not pay attention to where you're at and how high you are, then you have the option to do that... but for those of us who enjoy knowing, it would irritate me that those things were missing. Neither approach is superior; it's just a matter of personal preference.

Quoting cha747 (Reply 2):

Aren't most of those 767 ex-Piedmont? I'd think that adding the necessary equipment would add cost and weight that US probably don't want to deal with.

Yet other 767s of similar vintage have likely been upgraded with similar features. And that's sort of the point of these observations: these changes have been made on other carriers. No one notices the presence of the airshow moving map pn most widebody aircraft these days, but we definitely notice its absence. That says something about how it's become a basic expectation, not an added feature.

SonomaFlyer

Thu May 17, 2012 8:08 pm

US will be phasing these 767's out soon enough that it makes no sense economically to add those features. If these such things are important to you, simply do a bit of research before booking as to the features of the a/c on that route.

Those things ARE important to me which is why I'd never fly a US 767 on any route  

usairways85

Thu May 17, 2012 8:22 pm

Quoting SonomaFlyer (Reply 4):
US will be phasing these 767's out soon enough that it makes no sense economically to add those features. If these such things are important to you, simply do a bit of research before booking as to the features of the a/c on that route.

Honestly with US deferring the A332's they are going to need the 762's on TA flts longer than they expected. They have pretty much maxed out their widebody fleet(during the summer) so the 762's will be flying TA for sometime.

etops1

Fri May 18, 2012 12:55 am

The 767's do not have a live map installed . Only the A330's do .

southwest737500

Fri May 18, 2012 1:08 am

Quoting usairways85 (Reply 5):

Deliveries begin in 2013
Next flight: TUL-ATL-CLT CRJ900 and MD88

cha747

Fri May 18, 2012 1:37 am

@flashmeister and sonomoflyer - fair enough. All I expect is to get from point A to point B safely and on time unless I'm flying anything more than economy OR economy on a legendary airline like Singapore. I guess I'm easier to please. I don't check wi-fi and IFE availability (or I should say they don't have as much bearing) on my choice of flight as schedule does.
You land a million planes safely, then you have one little mid-air and you never hear the end of it - Pushing Tin

randyh3253
Topic Author

Fri May 18, 2012 6:23 am

I just like to know where I am...helps pass the time some cause you have an actual reference to where you are and how much distance you have left to travel. A 10hr flight to Athens is a long time to be spending and not have any idea where I am. Yes, I take my iPad and Mac do finalize things for work and have some sort of entertainment as I always do. The map is kind of important to me as I use my mac and other things to keep my busy but its nice to look up at the PTV every now and then to see where you are and you have the map if you happen to look out and see some form of land mass you have something to reference it to.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos