ben175

Perth's Massive Growth - What's Next?

Thu May 17, 2012 12:04 pm

Quote:
Perth Airport's annual passenger growth could quadruple to 40 million in the next 17 years - more than double the estimate by the airfield's owners - according to a State Government paper.

The WA State Aviation Strategy Issues Paper, which has just been released for comment, warns that "even that figure, which represents a growth of 7.7 per cent a year, is conservative given over the past five years passenger numbers have soared by 9.2 per cent a year".

Plane movements are also breaking records, increasing by 260 per cent since 1992 to 141,000 a year.

Source: http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...soar/

Those statistics are incredible! Reading this article made me think, what is next for PER?
We have:
QR touching down in July
EY "hinting" at service by the end of the year
NZ upgrading PER-AKL to a daily 772
SQ, MK and D7 all increasing frequency to SIN, MRU and KUL respectively
DJ increasing PER-SYD/MEL with more A330 coast-to-coast services
KQ expressing interest in serving PER from NBO with 787s by 2017
Massive continuous growth in the regional sector
Interest to fly to Perth from Lion Air, Batavia and even Silk Air

This leads me to question, what growth will we see in the next 5-10 years? Will we see direct to Europe eventually? What about services to the USA? Japan? China? India?

sweair

RE: Perth's Massive Growth - What's Next?

Thu May 17, 2012 12:17 pm

Would a 77L be able to do LHR-PER nonstop today? That could be a transit hub for domestic flights in Oz? Asia would lose some transit traffic this way.

IndianicWorld

Thu May 17, 2012 12:21 pm

Umm.. I have a feeling that someone in govt has been having a good time in dreamland  

Ok, PER is going very strongly currently, but it is also incredibly reliant on mining remaining a star performer over the medium term. Things are far too hard to predict day by day, let alone years down the track. It will need to diversify it's economy much more than it is today to really build a platform for future success.

The other point, Perth is still a limited market given it's isolation, even with a growing population. It likely lacks the base of the eastern states to sustain higher longer term growth.

In saying that though, I can still see it challenging BNE for 3rd position in regards to International pax in a few years time at this rate.

I would pencil in more NZ frequency growth and increased China service as the 2 immediate areas of focus at present. Add in the other Asian and Gulf carriers and it is likely to see capacity rises for several years to come.

FlyingHollander

Thu May 17, 2012 12:23 pm

Quoting sweair (Reply 1):
Would a 77L be able to do LHR-PER nonstop today?

All I can say is that according to gcmap LHR-PER is 526mi shorter that SIN-EWR.
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much.

IndianicWorld

Thu May 17, 2012 12:36 pm

^^ Would it be viable is another issue though. I strongly suspect not at this stage.

ben175

Thu May 17, 2012 12:40 pm

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 4):
^^ Would it be viable is another issue though. I strongly suspect not at this stage.

Apparently VA was very close to snapping up some 77L's to operate PER-LHR and SYD-JFK "non-stop" (though I don't think the latter route would be viable with even a 77L year-round) I think if they maintained the feed, PER-LHR would work (but severely impact SQ, MH, TG and even EK)

CXfirst

Thu May 17, 2012 12:48 pm

Quoting Ben175 (Thread starter):
SQ, MK and D7 all increasing frequency to SIN, MRU and KUL respectively

And for SQ, they have increased aircraft size (on multiple frequencies) from A333 to 772, and for some frequencies this Northern Summer there will be the 777-300 as well on the route.

Will we see direct to Europe eventually?

When VS ordered the 787, Branson said that the two first routes would be LHR-HNL and LHR-PER. However, lots of things have changed, and the 787 profile has also changed. Think the route is a bit too far for VS' upcoming 787-9s, at least without payload losses, etc.

Even Qatar seem to have upgraded the route without actually having started. They announced the route as an A330-200 route, but it will now start with the 777-200LR.

-CXfirst

IndianicWorld

Thu May 17, 2012 12:53 pm

^^ Umm.. I severly doubt that VA had any serious plans to do so, sorry to say.

Since the move to develop partnerships, it's not even a consideration for them these days anyway.

The Asian/Gulf stop overs are very valuable for carriers, as it allows for significant feed from a network wide perspective. It's just as easy to fly from MEL/SYD/BNE through SIN/HKG/DXB to Europe than going via PER anyway.

ULH is a struggle at the best of times, as you need people to pay a substantial premium to fly the sector. The real issue is that many just won't pay it, leaving either a lower LF or a need to cut fares to generate pax demand, which leads to a non-viable route.

IndianicWorld

Thu May 17, 2012 12:57 pm

CXFirst, QR really have pushed hard into PER and seem to be doing well.

If EY join the rush into PER, I would suggest things may get messy though.

ben175

Thu May 17, 2012 1:33 pm

What about further growth into Indonesia? Lion and Batavia have both "announced" services but never actually made the flights bookable.

SA744

Thu May 17, 2012 2:08 pm

Im just interested to know what is the news on the QF/SA codeshare have they decided to call it a day and will SAA carry on flying the route or will QF take the route over. Will we maybe see the daily SYD-JNB flight become SYD-PER-JNB

CXfirst

Thu May 17, 2012 3:23 pm

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 8):
QR really have pushed hard into PER and seem to be doing well.

What do you mean with that? They haven't started flying here yet, so we can't really say they are doing well, unless you have booking numbers?

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 7):
I severly doubt that VA had any serious plans to do so, sorry to say.

Was refering to Virgin Atlantic.

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/tridion/images/787nov_tcm4-523607.pdf

A bit out of date, I know, this came a after the inital press release, where PER and HNL fall into the "consideration" bracket (MEL is on the list of routes).

I don't see it happening in the current climate, but you never know. VS would be stupid to not consider it for the future. Anyway, one can be hopeful.

-CXfirst

qf002

Thu May 17, 2012 4:29 pm

The biggest issue with PER-LHR is that the market for these flights is on the East Coast. There might be a few pax in PER, but the simple fact that 90% of the population lives east of Perth removes any non-stop competitive advantage. The market for business travellers going to Europe is virtually non-existent in Perth, which has much closer ties to Asia.

Once the non-stop advantage to gone, there's not much left. The time saving would be minimal (ie 16-17 hours PER-LHR, plus 3-4 hours SYD-PER, plus 1-2 hours transit) and the operating costs would make it a very difficult route to sell when there are equally competitive alternatives via Asia and the ME, especially in Y. The market isn't there for all-J flights.

I don't see nonstop Australia-Europe until we start seeing orbital flights...

As for the future of PER -- the NEO/MAX will bring a lot of opportunities for expansion. PER is a pretty small market, so I struggle to see how much long existing growth can be sustained. Longer range NB's could potentially pave the way for a lot of growth further into Asia, which is Perth's trading region...

sweair

Thu May 17, 2012 4:32 pm

I rather do a stop on Australian soil after that hard long journey, the domestic flight will feel like a breeze  

PITrules

Thu May 17, 2012 5:46 pm

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 2):
The other point, Perth is still a limited market given it's isolation, even with a growing population. It likely lacks the base of the eastern states to sustain higher longer term growth.

But its this isolation which gives it a high propensity for air travel. As long as its population continues to grow, which it will, then so will PER.
FLYi

eaglefarm4

Thu May 17, 2012 10:05 pm

Quoting Ben175 (Reply 9):

Can't get CASA approval to fly to Australia.
tourismman

ben175

Thu May 17, 2012 11:32 pm

PER-NRT, PER-PVG, PER-ICN and PER-PEK could all be great 787 routes.

CXB77L

Fri May 18, 2012 2:36 am

Quoting sweair (Reply 1):
Would a 77L be able to do LHR-PER nonstop today?

LHR-PER is no sweat for the 77L. PER-LHR is, but it can still be done. Great Circle distance between PER-LHR is 7829nm. According to the payload/range chart, the 77L can fly approximately 7600nm with a full payload, so there'll definitely be some payload penalties on that route - especially when you take into account prevailing winds.

But as others have said, whether or not it's viable is a different story.
Boeing 777 fanboy

Sydscott

Fri May 18, 2012 2:49 am

Quoting qf002 (Reply 12):
The market for business travellers going to Europe is virtually non-existent in Perth, which has much closer ties to Asia.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. As an example, Rio's headquarters are in London and it's cash cow Iron Ore headquarters is in Perth. Along with all of the foreign funds managers that would start off their trips in PER I'd say there would be a steady stream of high yielding business pax that a direct service would be attractive to.

What about services to the USA? Japan? China? India?

The USA I can't see. The range and the demand just isn't there. You will defintiely see increased service from China as the Chinese carriers build out their hubs just as the other Asian carriers have and add the Perth spoke. Japan I can't really see coming back unless Jetstar can be persuaded. India is interesting although without significant Indian Resource Investments I suspect traffic would be relatively low yielding. That along with AI not even being organised enough to serve SYD or MEL, let alone an even closer market makes me think India is longer term rather than shorter.

what is next for PER?

Infrastructure building and LOTS of it! New Terminals, expanded taxiways and runways, more aircraft parking bays etc etc etc. It's needed right now just to service what PER already has before we start taking growth into account!

Carpethead

Fri May 18, 2012 3:35 am

Quoting sydscott (Reply 18):
Japan I can't really see coming back unless Jetstar can be persuaded.

Did QF cut PER-NRT? If they did, since when?
Tokyo is about it when it comes to anything from Perth.

weebie

Fri May 18, 2012 3:50 am

People here underestimate travel to Europe from Perth. Perth has a seriously large amount of UK expats.

The SAA QF codeshare will be interesting. I suspect.

Ethiad are coming to Perth in November will be announced shortly. Kenya Airways are coming here in a few years as well.

I doubt NRT will commence though that route has been doomed for years and the Tsumani gave QF teh excuse to get rid of it, after the state government convinced them to keep it.

BoeingVista

Fri May 18, 2012 3:55 am

Quoting sweair (Reply 13):
I rather do a stop on Australian soil after that hard long journey, the domestic flight will feel like a breeze

Yup me too.

Quoting PITrules (Reply 14):
But its this isolation which gives it a high propensity for air travel. As long as its population continues to grow, which it will, then so will PER.

Absolutely, PER airport is basically used like a bus/ train station, if you are leaving Perth you are flying, there is no other practical means of transport.

Quoting qf002 (Reply 12):
The biggest issue with PER-LHR is that the market for these flights is on the East Coast. There might be a few pax in PER, but the simple fact that 90% of the population lives east of Perth removes any non-stop competitive advantage. The market for business travellers going to Europe is virtually non-existent in Perth, which has much closer ties to Asia.

Yes, yes, the 10% of us that live in Perth are well used to this patronising Eastern states attitude. 10% is STILL 2 million people which is still a lot of people. I personally would pay a little bit extra to avoid a plane change in Asia. People fly with a lot of toys these days and a transpacific 14 hours or PER-LHR 17 hours wouldn't make a great deal of difference.

There is no incentive on airlines to fly this route non stop, QF could do it but are cutting investment and routes, VA well possibly, they did give SYD-JNB a go for a while but without much success. SQ, EK or EY really want to take traffic to their hubs. Until someone takes the punt on the route with a 77L we are not going to know how successful the route would be I really believe that it could be viable, the traffic definitely there costs as always is the problem.
BV

weebie

Fri May 18, 2012 3:59 am

VA have already indicated that the PER LHR is a route they are looking at. this was about 2 years ago though.

CXfirst

Fri May 18, 2012 4:17 am

Quoting BoeingVista (Reply 21):
VA well possibly

The problem I see with Virgin Australia is that a PER-LHR undercuts their EY partnership, which has a hub almost right in line for that route. Don't think EY would be happy seeing VA fly over and past them.

But maybe EY will be happy enough servicing the other European destinations and allowing VA to fly PER-LHR. However, VA would first need the right aircraft, so this would be many years down the line at best.

-CXfirst

byronicle6

Fri May 18, 2012 4:33 am

Quoting sweair (Reply 13):

Problem with PER, is that connecting pax to SYD,MEL,BNE,ADL etc have to change terminals between International and domestic
Travel is my thing

BoeingVista

Fri May 18, 2012 4:39 am

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 23):
The problem I see with Virgin Australia is that a PER-LHR undercuts their EY partnership, which has a hub almost right in line for that route. Don't think EY would be happy seeing VA fly over and past them.

Thats the problem with alliances, they stifle competition. They are effectively an agreement bot to compete and operate anti competitive price fixing mechanisms which do not benefit the consumer.

Quoting weebie (Reply 22):
VA have already indicated that the PER LHR is a route they are looking at. this was about 2 years ago though.

A bit longer ago than that, when people still believed the 787 hype.
BV

CXfirst

Fri May 18, 2012 8:04 am

Quoting byronicle6 (Reply 24):
Problem with PER, is that connecting pax to SYD,MEL,BNE,ADL etc have to change terminals between International and domestic

By the time Virgin Australia had aircraft capable of LHR-PER non-stop, they should have moved into their new facility at the International Airport. International to Domestic connections with VA should be no worse than anywhere else in Australia, and hopefully will actually be good!

-CXfirst

IndianicWorld

Fri May 18, 2012 8:13 am

VA keeps being raised in relation to Virgin Atlantic. The code is VS.

If EY does arrive in PER, not quite sure it won't be a bloodbath. 4x daily gulf flights for a population of 2 million is going to be a stretch, along with all the Asian flights.

Given that current business conditions are worsening by the day, PER is certainly the most exposed market in this country to a mining slow down. History shows just how volatile the booms are for WA. I certainly wouldn't be as upbeat as the WA govt seems to be.

qf002

Fri May 18, 2012 8:14 am

Quoting sydscott (Reply 18):
Rio's headquarters are in London and it's cash cow Iron Ore headquarters is in Perth

But it's Australian HQ is in MEL... In all likelihood, the Perth offices report to Melbourne who then report to London.

Yes, yes, the 10% of us that live in Perth are well used to this patronising Eastern states attitude. 10% is STILL 2 million people which is still a lot of people. I personally would pay a little bit extra to avoid a plane change in Asia. People fly with a lot of toys these days and a transpacific 14 hours or PER-LHR 17 hours wouldn't make a great deal of difference.

It's not a patronising Eastern attitude at all. Sure, there might be a large British population (as there is in any Australian city), but this is tourist traffic. This population isn't going to fill F/J in the way that an airline operating this flight would need it to. The vast majority of Perth's corporate traffic is headed for Asia (of course there are some going to Europe), while the services, financial, health sectors etc which are based on the East Coast send large numbers of corporate passengers to Europe.

A large British population isn't going to sustain nonstop services -- they need a big and steady corporate market. PER is not big enough. The additional cost you'd be willing to pay might not even cover the additional cost of operating such an expensive flight.

BoeingVista

Fri May 18, 2012 8:23 am

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 27):
VA keeps being raised in relation to Virgin Atlantic. The code is VS.

Whos talking abit Virgin atlantic? I'm talking about Virgin Australia which technically is still DJ, VS something completly different.

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 27):
I certainly wouldn't be as upbeat as the WA govt seems to be.

You would be if you planned on getting re-elected next year.
BV

CXfirst

Fri May 18, 2012 8:28 am

Quoting BoeingVista (Reply 29):
Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 27):VA keeps being raised in relation to Virgin Atlantic. The code is VS.
Whos talking abit Virgin atlantic? I'm talking about Virgin Australia which technically is still DJ, VS something completly different.

There has been talk about both. VS mentioned PER many years ago as a possible 787 destination, while VA has been mentioned here as also being seen as a possibility.

-CXfirst

IndianicWorld

Fri May 18, 2012 8:34 am

^^ Just as BHP is HQ'ed in MEL. That's where the decisions are made.

PER has many staff for Rio and BHP, but these are usually on the operations roles, not the main executive functions.

The vast majority of the population (around 12 million in NSW and VIC alone) along with a substantially more diversified economy, exists on the East coast. WA is strong currently though, but it's base is weaker in sustaining long term growth.

IndianicWorld

Fri May 18, 2012 8:44 am

CXFirst and BoeingVista, I was referring to points made earlier with suggested that VA were looking to get 77Ls for PER-LHR. I then suggested that was never going to happen, only to be told that they were referring to Virgin Atlantic. Confusion reins.

To make it clear, I don't see VA on the route at any stage and VS for a long time to come, if at all. As was suggested earlier, lots has changed since the initial statements were made by VS years back and VA has a new stategy based on partnerships.

sweair

Fri May 18, 2012 8:51 am

Perth has one big disadvantage, few aircraft will have the range and seats to pay for the extra fuel, but the 77L and the 340-500 can make it. Maybe Perth could offer a cheaper tech stop than Bangkok and Singapore? Build some nice hotels near the airport and get some additional business with people who want to sleep after that first leg before going east.

There is no plane in service today with 8000nm range at full capacity, maybe it will take a BWB with super efficient engines 20 years from now to make it possible. If I remember correctly a BWB would have 30% more lift than a tube with wings? This is modern aviations last low hanging fruit. Windows and exits..I know.

qf002

Fri May 18, 2012 9:02 am

Quoting BoeingVista (Reply 29):

Well technically you're talking about the international arm, which does use the VA code... Only domestic and Tasman flights come under the DJ code.

maxter

Fri May 18, 2012 9:28 am

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 2):
The other point, Perth is still a limited market given it's isolation, even with a growing population.

But you fail to realize that we have a greater percentage of inhabitants that can afford overseas travel than the rustbelt states...

Yes, yes, the 10% of us that live in Perth are well used to this patronising Eastern states attitude. 10% is STILL 2 million people which is still a lot of people.

Absolutely and as I said above, we generally can do more with what we earn... not withstanding the exorbitant pice we pay for coffee  
Quoting byronicle6 (Reply 24):

That won't be the situation for ever, plans to change are afoot... Better late than never.

Quoting qf002 (Reply 28):

But it's Australian HQ is in MEL...

Don't hold your breath...

Quoting qf002 (Reply 28):

It's not a patronising Eastern attitude at all

Yes it certainly is...  
maxter

grimey

Fri May 18, 2012 12:16 pm

Will Boeing or Airbus make a plane that can do DUB - PER with so many Irish people in Perth (including myself) the fastest way is one stop with EK but I did the EI DUB-LHR & QF LHR-SIN-PER back in January and its not so bad, 19 hours flying in a 24 period with a great service from QF

qf002

Fri May 18, 2012 1:13 pm

Quoting maxter (Reply 35):
But you fail to realize that we have a greater percentage of inhabitants that can afford overseas travel than the rustbelt states...

The percentage is utterly irrelevant... 10% of 2 million people in Perth is still a vastly smaller market than 5% of 6 million people in Sydney. AND it fails to recognise the importance of higher yielding corporate fares, which are what sustains a service such as this one.

Quoting maxter (Reply 35):
Yes it certainly is

Not at all. I have made a judgement based on the information I have available to me...I love Perth and WA, have quite a few good friends who live over there and have been over twice in the last 12 months with another trip planned for later this year... I am not in any way denying the importance of service to PER, or stating broadly that if the East Coast can't have it then PER can't either...

A nonstop PER-LHR would only really cater for PER-LHR passegners. There is simply no advantage for passengers east of Perth. The suggestion that a city of less than 2 million, which doesn't have strong corporate links to LHR and is 17 hours flying time away can support nonstop service is a bit ridiculous.

What other successful ULH route is there that is at all comparable. Virtually all those in the top 20 are either very strong corporate routes (ie SIN-EWR) or major hub-to-hub (ie SYD-DFW). Others, like ATL-JNB, are highly dependant on cargo, which would be ruled out for PER-LHR. ULH is a hard ask at the best of times, let alone on a route as marginal as this!!

IndianicWorld

Fri May 18, 2012 2:53 pm

^^ Very true.

Maxter, people from WA have said for years that the HQ of Rio and BHP would move to Perth... Waiting, waiting....

Theres very compelling reasons to maintain the current setup, so maybe I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for that to change  

ben175

Sat May 19, 2012 3:05 am

Has CZ raised frequency on PER-CAN-PEK yet? I haven't read anything about it, but I know there was plans.

weebie

Sat May 19, 2012 7:39 am

BHP and Rio will never move to Perth. The talent locally can't compete.

I think Scoot is a good candidate for Perth

shnoob940

Sat May 19, 2012 7:49 am

Just a question to do with Perth - how long has DJ been operating the 1778/1781 service to Launceston? Apart from the Fremantle footy club I can't see enough traffic to have a 738 operating it...
A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A359 A388 733 734 735 737 738 739 743 744 762 763 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 E170 E190 Q400 AT7 DH

ben175

Sat May 19, 2012 8:25 am

Quoting shnoob940 (Reply 41):
Just a question to do with Perth - how long has DJ been operating the 1778/1781 service to Launceston? Apart from the Fremantle footy club I can't see enough traffic to have a 738 operating it...

I didn't even know DJ operated to LST? Maybe they have operated a few charter flights recently.

Quoting weebie (Reply 40):
I think Scoot is a good candidate for Perth

I hope Scoot replaces Tiger on PER-SIN personally.

CXfirst

Sat May 19, 2012 8:29 am

Quoting shnoob940 (Reply 41):

Think this is a one off for the footy match. Part of DJ's contract with the AFL.

-CXfirst

RyanairGuru

Sat May 19, 2012 9:42 am

Quoting qf002 (Reply 34):
Only domestic and Tasman flights come under the DJ code.

Well if you're going to nit-pick then so will I ... neither DPS nor HKT are domestic or Tasman routes  

I know that this is going to be bleeding obvious, but if London was in the Middle East then it would have happened years ago. Similarly if fuel was half its current costs then I wouldn't rule it out.

Unfortunately ULH is virtually impossible to make money on at the best of times, let alone with oil well north of $100 a barrel. The only way that PER-LHR would work would be if BHP or Rio signed a contract for literally the entire J/F capacity. Then maybe...

Before any one accuses me of being East Coast centric I'll say the same for SYD-JFK: Macquarie or some other large institutional bank would need to underwrite the front of the plane.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

sweair

Sat May 19, 2012 3:00 pm

Say that the BWB is built and that could lower fuel costs at least 30% from the frame and even more with the engines of that era. Would people settle for less windows if really long flights would be more affordable? A BWB is wide enough to make the cabin very spacious for long range flights? Say the outer parts that experience high Gs could be areas that only were allowed during cruise.

Or would the outer space have cargo?

Flyingsottsman

Sun May 20, 2012 12:01 pm

Quoting weebie (Reply 20):
People here underestimate travel to Europe from Perth. Perth has a seriously large amount of UK expats.

Yes there is a huge ex pat UK population living in Perth I often woundered why BA axed Perth all those years ago.

Quoting Ben175 (Reply 42):
I didn't even know DJ operated to LST? Maybe they have operated a few charter flights recently

They only fly Peth to Launceston when either Fremantle or the West Coast Eagles are fixtured to play Hawthorn there orther than that if you live in Perth and want to go to Launceston you have to go change planes in Melbourne. I flew home to Melbourne from Perth one night via Launceston because the Eagles were playing in LST 'that weekend wow what a long flight that was!

shnoob940

Sun May 20, 2012 9:50 pm

Quoting Flyingsottsman (Reply 46):

I went on to the website on Friday, and 1781 was open to bookings for $389. If you were a diehard Freo fan you could meet all the players through this!  

gibbo
A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A359 A388 733 734 735 737 738 739 743 744 762 763 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 E170 E190 Q400 AT7 DH

eaglefarm4

Mon May 21, 2012 1:09 am

This document is the most recent covering the 20 years 2009-2029 for all the capital city airports

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=au...=11259e1e762a6894&biw=1024&bih=605

This shows BNE and PER as the fastest growing over that period.

Move down to the topic pdf ACCESSING OUR AIRPORTS.

[Edited 2012-05-20 18:12:08]
tourismman

fiscal

Mon May 21, 2012 2:04 am

Quoting SA744 (Reply 10):
Will we maybe see the daily SYD-JNB flight become SYD-PER-JNB

As indeed it was not so many years ago.....