LIPZ
Topic Author

Air Nigeria To Launch LGW/CDG/FCO/DXB/JNB Soon

Sat May 19, 2012 2:53 pm

In the near future (within July) Air Nigeria will be flying to new long-haul destinations once they receive the first 2 A330-200.

The destinations are :

- London/Gatwick (just begun)
- Johannesburg
- Rome
- Paris
- Dubai

more to come in the following years.

1st pic of Air Nigeria A332
http://www.skyliner-aviation.de/viewphoto.main?LC=&picid=7827

(sources)
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/...geria-to-go-public-in-2014/116121/
http://www.punchng.com/news/air-nige...o-dubai-rome-paris-joburg-in-june/

varig md-11

RE: Air Nigeria To Launch LGW/CDG/FCO/DXB/JNB Soon

Sat May 19, 2012 3:19 pm

Thanks for the picture!

I can't wait for Air Nigeria to start servicing CDG, it will be fun to see again African airlines here after the failure of Gabon Airlines, Afriquiyah and the difficulties of Camair and co

The A330 on the pic is registered in Egypt: I guess it's ex-Egyptair?
AF TW AA NW DL UA CO BA U2 TP UX LH SK AZ MP KL SN VY HV LS SS TK SQ PC RG IW SE LI TN

behramjee

Sat May 19, 2012 3:29 pm

another scam waiting to unravel and shut down within 4-5 years due to immense govt intervention

vv701

Sat May 19, 2012 4:03 pm

Quoting varig md-11 (Reply 1):

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Florian Weyrauch

soups

Sat May 19, 2012 4:31 pm

JNB delayed, should have started 2days ago
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

Polot

Sat May 19, 2012 5:03 pm

Quoting behramjee (Reply 2):
another scam waiting to unravel and shut down within 4-5 years due to immense govt intervention

Air Nigeria is the former Virgin Nigeria and Nigerian Eagle Airways...they have already been around for awhile.

bmibaby737

Sat May 19, 2012 5:28 pm

lsf EgyptAir with SU- reg remaining

kq747

Sat May 19, 2012 9:53 pm

I can't wait for Air Nigeria to start servicing CDG, it will be fun to see again African airlines here after the failure of Gabon Airlines, Afriquiyah and the difficulties of Camair and co

Kenya Airways, Egyptair, TAAG, Ethiopian, Air Mauritius and Air Madagascar all fly to CDG.

bennett123

Sat May 19, 2012 10:19 pm

Are 2 A330 enough?.

They sound a bit streatched.

jfk777

Sat May 19, 2012 10:26 pm

Quoting LIPZ (Thread starter):
In the near future (within July) Air Nigeria will be flying to new long-haul destinations once they receive the first 2 A330-200.

The destinations are :

- London/Gatwick (just begun)
- Johannesburg
- Rome
- Paris
- Dubai

This is a very wide schedule for only 2 A330's. If London is flown daily and others only 2 or 3 times weekly its still lots for 2 birds, how will they do it ?

aerorobnz

Sat May 19, 2012 10:35 pm

I photographed one of their 733s 5N-VNC at Perpignan about 10 days, was well chuffed. Glad to see them moving forward.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

LIPZ
Topic Author

Sat May 19, 2012 11:17 pm

Quoting jfk777 (Reply 9):
This is a very wide schedule for only 2 A330's. If London is flown daily and others only 2 or 3 times weekly its still lots for 2 birds, how will they do it ?

Seems like it will be LOS-FCO-CDG route, I guess something like 3xw.......another one LOS-DXB probably with the same frequencies ......and JNB always 3 times per week.
Just LGW is a daily route.

varig md-11

Sun May 20, 2012 8:24 am

Quoting kq747 (Reply 7):
Kenya Airways, Egyptair, TAAG, Ethiopian, Air Mauritius and Air Madagascar all fly to CDG.

Yep, except none of KQ ET MS MK are west African.
My post was not clear enough I should have mentionned from "West Africa".
Afriquiyah was not west African but transporting lots of pax from Cotonou, Lomé and LOS to CDG. They use for now SN as the price range is more in line with what 8U used to be
AF TW AA NW DL UA CO BA U2 TP UX LH SK AZ MP KL SN VY HV LS SS TK SQ PC RG IW SE LI TN

nicode

Sun May 20, 2012 9:59 am

Quoting kq747 (Reply 7):

TAAG don't fly to Paris on its own metal. However, there is a codeshare with Air France (2x per week).

OA260

Sun May 20, 2012 10:26 am

Quoting behramjee (Reply 2):

Funny enough thats what my Nigerian colleagues said at work . They have no faith in it at all. I hope they are proved wrong. I like the livery .

RWA380

Mon May 21, 2012 2:33 am

Quoting soups (Reply 4):
JNB delayed, should have started 2days ago

Sounds just like Nigerian Airways, great start, it'll end up the same way I'm guessing.
Next Flights: PDX-HNL-OGG-LIH-PDX On AS, WP & HA

AsoRock

Mon May 21, 2012 4:34 am

I don't get all the negativity, but it seems most people are uninformed. Air Nigeria is the new name of Virgin Nigeria after Richard Branson divested and nearly drove the airline to the ground with bankruptcy, mismanagement and a lack of understanding of Nigerian culture.

The new owner is Nicon Group, it restructured the airline, increased the fleet, focused on regional routes and now re-entering the long haul market. In fact, Air Nigeria is most likely placing an order with Boeing for 4 787-8s in London on May 24. They are paying a deposit now and seeking to float the airline on the Nigerian Stock Exchange from 2014.

The airline's CEO is an Ethiopian ex-ET strategy executive. He has every chance of success compared to his predecessors.

AF022

Mon May 21, 2012 5:54 am

I think this is going to be a massive challenge for them. Venturing into longhaul in entrenched markets is very risky.

varig md-11

Mon May 21, 2012 7:02 am

Quoting AF022 (Reply 17):
I think this is going to be a massive challenge for them. Venturing into longhaul in entrenched markets is very risky.

Nevertheless, considering the price western airlines sell tickets to/from Africa, there is room for competition....
If they are serious in their developpment and in their daily operations -contrarily to 8U Air Gabon and the likes- there is definitely space for newcomers

AF022

Mon May 21, 2012 10:39 am

Quoting varig md-11 (Reply 18):
contrarily to 8U Air Gabon and the likes

Are these airlines making money, or draining the national reserves? I don't think the Nigerian goverment is going to support longhaul on VK if they bleed.

gabrielchew

Mon May 21, 2012 1:05 pm

I managed a few photos of SU-GCI on Friday at LGW:

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p207/shefgab/DSCF0833.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p207/shefgab/DSCF0832.jpg
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: LGW-OPO-LGW,LHR-FCO-CTA-LIN-LCY,LHR-AMS-GRQ-SEN,LTN-CPH-LHR-ORD

skipness1E

Mon May 21, 2012 2:48 pm

Quoting poLOT (Reply 5):
Air Nigeria is the former Virgin Nigeria and Nigerian Eagle Airways...they have already been around for awhile.

You do know Virgin got out due to immense government intervention aka corruption?

skipness1E

Mon May 21, 2012 2:51 pm

Quoting AsoRock (Reply 16):
Richard Branson divested and nearly drove the airline to the ground with bankruptcy, mismanagement and a lack of understanding of Nigerian culture.

Can we make this a sticky? I think we all know what parts of Nigerian culture he failed to understand, the parts that would see him in a prison cell if HM Government found out. Anyhoo, what sort of track record does Branson have versus the government of Nigeria? Hmmm?

varig md-11

Mon May 21, 2012 3:44 pm

Quoting AF022 (Reply 19):
Are these airlines making money, or draining the national reserves?

These airlines would not need state money if their employees didn't venture into being bribed for excess bagage, unregistered cargo and bags which pop up onboard, accepting non-rev pax and force regular pax to leave their seats....
But then again that happens on very "serious" airlines at some stations...follow my eyes AF022

I think West Africa zone is positive for AF in the results, why wouldn't it be for newcomers if they're well organized?

AsoRock

Mon May 21, 2012 5:37 pm

Quoting skipness1E (Reply 22):

You got it wrong, Branson failed to explicitly include the right "to use MMA international terminal for domestic flights" in his contract with the Nigerian government. Furthermore, the airline was severely undercapitalized from the start flying older aircraft. If Branson meant well why didn't Virgin Nigeria ever appear on the website of the Virgin Group. Branson also put the wrong people to manage his new airline, people who were not familiar with the local operating environment. I won't name them but they certainly did not do a good job in making money on the London route (most popular international route from Lagos!?)

Nothing Branson did convinced me he ever entered that business endaevour in good faith.

Granted the government is not a saint and probably breached the agreement by forcing VK to relocate domestic flights to the MMA2 domestic terminal, but is that a reason for failure ? Is that the main cause of 100s of million dollars of losses?

The airline was simply mismanaged and Branson had too many grudges.

skipness1E

Mon May 21, 2012 5:43 pm

Quoting AsoRock (Reply 24):
If Branson meant well why didn't Virgin Nigeria ever appear on the website of the Virgin Group

It did.
I don't think two A340s from Virgin Atlantic was a bad place to start, do you? Also the non NG B737 whilst not cutting edge is still flown by BA and Lufthansa amongst others.

Granted the government is not a saint

Corrupt? Incompetent? Greedy? I mean good Heavens, they never learn, but you are right, they did not put in place

people who were not familiar with the local operating environment

suggests something different to my ears than yours.

1stfl94

Mon May 21, 2012 6:02 pm

Furthermore, the airline was severely undercapitalized from the start flying older aircraft

Starting an airline with brand new aircraft is far more risky there's only a few airlines I can think that have done it successfully.

RWA380

Mon May 21, 2012 10:04 pm

Quoting skipness1E (Reply 22):
Anyhoo, what sort of track record does Branson have versus the government of Nigeria? Hmmm?

Despite what has been said to the contrary, I have to agree with you here. The airline industry in Nigeria will not clean up until the government and the way business is conducted there is cleaned up as well. With the factors of human greed, and the long time things have been built around that greed, I am very pessimistic about a positive future for any carrier there.
Next Flights: PDX-HNL-OGG-LIH-PDX On AS, WP & HA

bennett123

Mon May 21, 2012 10:13 pm

"Quoting AsoRock (Reply 24):
people who were not familiar with the local operating environment".

This sounds like saying that he would not pay the required backhanders, is that what you mean.

AsoRock

Tue May 22, 2012 4:41 am

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 28):

Have you ever been involved in airline management in Nigeria? By environment I mean a poor yet improving infrastructure, bad weather, harmattan season, jet fuel scarcity, irregular power supply, and the list goes on.

There are ways to mitigate and manage an keep passengers safe. But it seems all your mind is focused on is the worn out cliché of corruption.

Corruption in Nigeria isn't why VK failed. Even if Branson had to play unorthodox that would not have been a reason for collossal failure here.

The proof is that Air Nigeria's finances are in much better shape.

The 737s were very old and I doubt those early birds are still with BA or Lufthansa.

I do give credit though to Branson for introducing intl standards to the Nigerian airline industry and the safety record.

Cheers

bennett123

Tue May 22, 2012 6:37 am

Sure there is a poor perception about corruption in Nigeria. I geather that you are aware of this.

However, you could also have explained what you meant by "people who were not familiar with the local operating environment".

When people appear vague, it is often that they would rather not discuss a particular issue.

AsoRock

Tue May 22, 2012 10:45 am

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 30):

You know exactly what I meant by operating environment. I listed you the operating challenges.

Yes corruption is there in Nigeria and I told you it was not the cause of a colossal failure. Many foreign investors successes in Nigeria, look at Etisalat (UAE) and South African investors, etc.

But you chose to ignore what I listed to you and go back to the issue of corruption which I never denied. (so no one is looking vague, but perhaps youre not as well informed on Nigeria and only familiar with the issue of corruption).

Anyways, that sort of investment was not for the faint hearted. You need someone with African experience and a track record of overcoming operational challenges which I listed to you.

bennett123

Tue May 22, 2012 11:50 pm

I am not ignoring the clarification in reply 29, (which is perfectly clear) merely pointing out that reply 24 was somewhat vague.

People are often vague if they find the subject distateful.

Coming back to Air Nigeria. Did you agree that they are spreading themselves somewhat thinly with only 2 A330 for the network envisaged.

Clearly, more aircraft could be leased from MS, but if Egypt can resolve it's own internal issues, then they may find that they need their fleet for their own routes.

AsoRock

Wed May 23, 2012 11:53 am

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 32):

I'm not sure if more surplus A330s are available from EgyptAir. Yes for a country of Nigerias size it's is embarrassing to boast a long haul fleet of 4 aircraft ( 2 Arik A340s and 2 Air Nigeria A330s). But perhaps ANs order for 4 787-8s is the start of new things to come to tap into the huge market out of Nigeria which is mostly served by foreign carriers.

AN stated the A330 would be retained once the 787 arrives in 2014. I would think sourcing for leased additional 787s would be a better idea to maintain consistency across their network.

The 787 is a wonderful aircraft and extremely fuel efficient on most routes from Lagos (JFK, DXB, China, etc)

Let's wish them good luck!

ETinCaribe

Wed May 23, 2012 2:46 pm

Good luck to Air Nigeria.

It can be argued that the Nigerian aviation sector has been one of the most underperforming aviation sectors in the world (along with India). Hoping that Air Nigeria and others can change that.

Nothing Branson did convinced me he ever entered that business endaevour in good faith.

Honest question: does Richard Branson like losing $$$? He may have made certain assumptions that have not materialized but I am pretty sure that he had all intentions of making his Virgin Nigeria venture work (read, make his and others $$$)

bennett123

Wed May 23, 2012 9:02 pm

Given that the B787 is so overdue, I doubt that many will become available for a few years.

Perhaps Air Nigeria can supplement them with used A330 in the short term.

Incidentally, 2 ex BD aircraft will become available shortly.