cessna2
Topic Author

RDU To Offer Incentives For New Destinations

Tue May 22, 2012 8:49 pm

RDU's Airport Board adopted a policy the other day to give airlines marketing money for new Domestic and International service. Destinations mentioned were SFO (UA starting service in August), LAX (Served 4x weekly by DL), SEA, (unserved), CDG (Currently Postponed by DL), and FRA (Unserved.)

My questions is what, if any, of these destinations could we see come to fruition? and is RDU too late in the game for these types of incentives and are they enough?

Article here: http://www.rduaa.com/feeds/index.php...th-in-a-row&catid=15:2012&Itemid=1

Noise

RE: RDU To Offer Incentives For New Destinations

Tue May 22, 2012 8:55 pm

Well I'm pretty happy with this, as I'll be moving to the RDU area in 2 months!

BoeingGuy

Tue May 22, 2012 9:02 pm

Quoting cessna2 (Thread starter):
SEA, (unserved)

Will we see Chester in RDU anytime soon? That has been speculated in other threads. What's the latest?

cessna2
Topic Author

Tue May 22, 2012 9:11 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 2):
Will we see Chester in RDU anytime soon? That has been speculated in other threads. What's the latest?

The rumors are still abuzz.

VX was rumored to be close to starting SFO-RDU but UA beat them to it and made more sense for international connections to Asia.

Noise

Tue May 22, 2012 9:30 pm

Quoting cessna2 (Reply 3):
The rumors are still abuzz.

VX was rumored to be close to starting SFO-RDU but UA beat them to it and made more sense for international connections to Asia.

Might we see RDU-LAX with VX instead? DL's service is seasonal so this might be an opportunity for VX.

2travel2know2

Wed May 23, 2012 2:35 pm

Does CM's E190 has the range for a PTY-RDU? RDU may not be a hub anymore, but it does account for quite an appealing O/D market.
MBJ-RDU would have been an interesting weekend route, but sadly since it merged into BW, Air Jamaica is dropping MBJ routes.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

mogandoCI

Wed May 23, 2012 2:48 pm

If UA can get *any* foothold in RDU at all, then maybe a 2-class 763 to FRA 5x weekly may be sustainable ?

drerx7

Wed May 23, 2012 2:57 pm

Quoting mogandoCI (Reply 6):
If UA can get *any* foothold in RDU at all, then maybe a 2-class 763 to FRA 5x weekly may be sustainable ?

I seriously doubt that. If anything it would be LH to launch that type of route. This would have to be item #276 on UA's wish list of routes.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

cessna2
Topic Author

Wed May 23, 2012 9:11 pm

Quoting Noise (Reply 4):
Might we see RDU-LAX with VX instead? DL's service is seasonal so this might be an opportunity for VX.

thats always a possibility.

I think we'd see DL on that route before anyone...but most likely AMS or CDG first.

flyboi4life

Thu May 24, 2012 12:49 am

Maybe this is Vision Airlines chance to make a come back to scheduled service      
The sky is my limit

LambertMan

Thu May 24, 2012 1:11 am

As someone who makes a living in public finance, my suggestion is that if RDU feels this passionately about its ability to support these routes they simply guarantee performance and cover any short falls. It's pretty simple. Either the market can support it, or it can't and it will go away anyway.

I've long been a proponent of these strategies for my hometown of St. Louis, but I digress....

ERJ170

Thu May 24, 2012 5:59 pm

Quoting Lambertman (Reply 10):
if RDU feels this passionately about its ability to support these routes they simply guarantee performance and cover any short falls.

Funds are available for the international routes.. have been for years now.. big AA was the stop measure.. as for the west coast, I think the incentives are what they are mainly ponying up..

Anyway, I'm assuming DL will probably just push their LAX flight to daily and grab the incentives.. SFO is already UAs.. SEA could probably be DL too..

as for the international.. DL could once again announce CDG using 752 but it would take, at a minimum, a 762/763 for the FRA cause it's beyond the range of the 752 so that would be the interesting one.
Aiming High and going far..

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos