NRT importance is eroding.

Wed Mar 17, 1999 12:13 pm

This is just my outlook:

Do you think that NRT's importance will drop at a consistant rate (I mean slowly) after the financial crisis? I think the pacific market will approach in a direction where the hub and spoke network like UA and NW have at NRT will eventually be dropped since there should be more and more long-haul, low capacity aircrafts available int the future. Therefore, more direct, point-to-point transpacific routes from US gateways directly to smaller and used to be "out of range" Asian cities.

FLY777UAL

RE: NRT importance is eroding.

Wed Mar 17, 1999 12:28 pm

NO. UA and NW only use NRT as a supplemental hub to attract more pax to the trans-pac flights (and for those out of reach airports). UA has a TON of trans-pac flights to every destination (NRT, TPE, KIX, HKG, ETC.). Currently, no A/C can fly West Coast to KUL, SIN, or BKK non-stop, so they must have a stopping point. UA and NW have or had flights from NRT to:
HKG
SIN
BKK
PEK
MNL (UA freighter now..pax before)
and the list goes on. UA also has(d) flights from HKG to SIN, KIX, Delhi and from KIX to SEL, etc.

be sure to fly777ual

Wed Mar 17, 1999 12:58 pm

narita has indeed many hurdles to face, such as land acquisiton, second runway, etc.

the push is on for 207 min etops... when aproved... watch out!

CX747

Wed Mar 17, 1999 10:38 pm

I doubt that 207min ETOPS will be approved and even if it is I doubt many carriers outside of the U.S. will use it. Narita will maintain its importance in the future.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

asdf

Fri Mar 19, 1999 4:31 am

There will be aircraft with longer and longer range capability in the near future. But the airlines have to consider how long passengers are willing to sit in tight compartments. I for one would rather have a single stop on an extremely long route than sit for 15+ hours on an airplane. Especially in coach class where there seems to be 4 lavatories for 200-250 people.

asdf

Fri Mar 19, 1999 4:31 am

There will be aircraft with longer and longer range capability in the near future. But the airlines have to consider how long passengers are willing to sit in tight compartments. I for one would rather have a single stop on an extremely long route than sit for 15+ hours on an airplane. Especially in coach class where there seems to be 4 lavatories for 200-250 people.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos