boeing773er

IAG's Intrest In Buying TAP Has Waned - Walsh

Sat May 26, 2012 5:06 pm

Quote:
British Airways (IAG) parent IAG said its interest in purchasing Portuguese carrier TAP SGPS SA has cooled after the addition of U.K.-based BMI brought sufficient airport slots to improve connectivity with Latin America.

Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...al-s-tap-has-waned-walsh-says.html

This has been long speculated that IAG's intrest is no longer there to buy TAP, after buying BMI. Also, I read somewhere that there is a lack of Spanish domestic flights, granted TAP is Portuguese I'm sure there is a tad bit of overlap between IB and TP
Work Hard, Fly Right.

LHRFlyer

RE: IAG's Intrest In Buying TAP Has Waned - Walsh

Sat May 26, 2012 5:17 pm

This doesn't surprise me. With the purchase and integration of bmi and turnaround of Iberia IAG has enough to do. And with the weakness of the Eurozone a more cautious approach to expansion is required.

BestWestern

Sat May 26, 2012 5:20 pm

Portugal seems to be getting on with austerity - trying to pay its way - so hopefully TP does find a home with IAG.

This dampening down of expectations could also be a strategy to reduce the demand price.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

Rafabozzolla

Sat May 26, 2012 8:17 pm

Maybe another indication that JJ is going OW...

Summa767

Sat May 26, 2012 8:44 pm

Quoting bestwestern (Reply 2):
This dampening down of expectations could also be a strategy to reduce the demand price.

Could be. But it could also be that since LH has expressed some interest in bidding for TAP (there has even been a report of a joint bit with AV's owner), IAG knows that they would have slim chances of getting TAP, so the best strategy is the sour grapes one.

Quoting Rafabozzolla (Reply 3):

I am pretty sure TAM will go to OW, but why would IAG drop its interest in TAP because of this?

steve6666

Sat May 26, 2012 9:10 pm

Quoting Summa767 (Reply 4):
Quoting Rafabozzolla (Reply 3):

I am pretty sure TAM will go to OW, but why would IAG drop its interest in TAP because of this?

What is TAP strong in? Connections to secondary Brazilian cities via LIS. Which, if you (as Willie Walsh) have TAM in OneWorld you don't need because you can connect passengers through GRU and GIG instead to get to those same cities.

Original quote is interesting too - implies there will be Latin American flights added direct from London. Presumably a Santiago or even Lima to link up to LAN, and I would not be surprised at more GRU/GIG.
eu nasci ha dez mil anos atras, e nao tem nada nesse mundo que eu nao saiba demais

Summa767

Sat May 26, 2012 9:42 pm

Quoting steve6666 (Reply 5):
What is TAP strong in? Connections to secondary Brazilian cities via LIS. Which, if you (as Willie Walsh) have TAM in OneWorld you don't need because you can connect passengers through GRU and GIG instead to get to those same cities

But still TAM had been mentioned as one of the possible bidders.

Original quote is interesting too - implies there will be Latin American flights added direct from London. Presumably a Santiago or even Lima to link up to LAN, and I would not be surprised at more GRU/GIG.

Yes, that is very interesting. I am prety sure that LAN will serve LHR from LIM and/or SCL. But I guess that BA want to open new routes with its own metal. The 787s would help..

santos

Sat May 26, 2012 10:40 pm

What is TAP strong in?

Not just Brazil, but i'm sure the 10x Weekly slots to LAD and a few more from OPO to LAD are valuable.
Few other interesting routes served in Africa

ein105

Sat May 26, 2012 10:49 pm

Interest has waned, because I'd be surprised to see competition authorities allow TAM and TP become part of OneWorld

RAGAZZO777

Sat May 26, 2012 11:44 pm

Quoting ein105 (Reply 8):
I'd be surprised to see competition authorities allow TAM and TP become part of OneWorld

Currently TAM and TAP are part of Star Alliance and no one has raised a red flag.
JESÚS, TE AMO !!

kiwiandrew

Sat May 26, 2012 11:47 pm

Quoting RAGAZZO777 (Reply 9):
Currently TAM and TAP are part of Star Alliance and no one has raised a red flag.

Yes, but that is currently without also being in the same alliance as LAN and Iberia. The combination of LATAM and IAG ( including TP ) would be pretty terrifying from a consumer point of view.

anstar

Sun May 27, 2012 3:51 am

Quoting LHRFlyer (Reply 1):
This doesn't surprise me. With the purchase and integration of bmi and turnaround of Iberia IAG has enough to do.

I think IAG has enough to do with gwtting BD integrated and profitable within BA... that itself is a huge task. Then you have all the issues with Iberia and its pilots etc.

I would think those to big projects would be enough to keep management well and truely busy.

eta unknown

Sun May 27, 2012 11:19 am

Quoting santos (Reply 7):
Not just Brazil, but i'm sure the 10x Weekly slots to LAD and a few more from OPO to LAD are valuable.
Few other interesting routes served in Africa

Valuable, sure, but those FEW routes don't justify buying a share of an airline.
And as correctly answered above, if you're going to have TAM in your alliance, you don't need TAP.
Or, to put it another way, TAP just got TAMed  

DLPMMM

Sun May 27, 2012 11:43 am

Quoting Summa767 (Reply 6):

TAM being a TAP bidder? Where did you hear that?

That would be unlikely, given the European 50% ownership requirement for all Euro airlines.

shilenb

Sun May 27, 2012 11:45 am

I suspect that LH will buy out TP and JJ will join Oneworld

PezySPU

Sun May 27, 2012 12:03 pm

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 13):
Quoting Summa767 (Reply 6):

TAM being a TAP bidder? Where did you hear that?

He's right, JJ and LA were in fact interested in acquiring TP after they merge into LATAM. Granted that was a year or two ago, they have gone quiet about it ever since AFAIK.

DLPMMM

Sun May 27, 2012 4:50 pm

Quoting PezySPU (Reply 15):

I don't see how such an acquisition could be made under current EU laws. Maybe an investment as a minority shareholder, but not as a purchaser.

Sounds like just a.net unfounded speculation to me.

laca773

Mon May 28, 2012 6:14 am

What about AF-KL? Wouldn't this fit their network nicely?

Doesn't TP offer a better inflight product on both their EU and International longhaul flights compared to IB?

vv701

Mon May 28, 2012 9:30 am

I think that this is not a surprise to a lot of us.

Here is what I said just over four days ago at:

Future Oneworld Members (by TWA85 May 22 2012 in Civil Aviation)

"I think that any IAG purchase of TP is now very much on the back burner. They have seen the severe indigestion that LH has experienced by tackling too many additions to the family at one time. Of course a major contributor to that indigestion was BD. So I suspect that BA will focus on absorbing BD and that IAG will not be looking for further acquisitions until BD is fully and successfully integrated into BA."