Oct. 12 Orlando-San Diego 8:05 a.m. 10:40 a.m. Mon, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun

So there we go!

Happy Day

bb

SANFan
Topic Author

RE: AS Announces SAN-MCO Service

Thu May 31, 2012 5:56 pm

HOWEVER, they did get the frequencies wrong! It's an overnight turn so the return can't be the same frequency as the outbound. (As it is in the booking engine, it should be X23 SAN-MCO and X34 MCO-SAN.)

Could someone with Alaska please report it to the media dept for a fix?

Thanx

bb

[Edited 2012-05-31 11:12:11]

redrooster3

Thu May 31, 2012 6:19 pm

Finally SAN is now seeing Florida service, its been dead overdue. But I didn't expect AS to fly this route. What other possible routes could AS open from SAN. They should seriously consider this place a secondary hub now with all the growth. SAN-LIH/KOA please.  
The only thing you should change about a woman is her last name.

EA CO AS

Thu May 31, 2012 6:34 pm

FINALLY I can talk about this! LOL

Big win for the City of San Diego and AS!
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

mikect

Thu May 31, 2012 6:36 pm

It looks like they also took the opportunity to upgrade their online route map from a simple PDF to a pretty cool interactive map.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/rou...map.aspx?lid=nav:planbook-routeMap

SANFan
Topic Author

Thu May 31, 2012 6:53 pm

Quoting redrooster3 (Reply 2):
Finally SAN is now seeing Florida service, its been dead overdue.

Interesting isn't it red'? Our ONLY flight to the entire state of Florida!

What other possible routes could AS open from SAN. They should seriously consider this place a secondary hub now with all the growth.

I've got a nice long list just in case AS doesn't already have their own! As long as they are in a Florida mode, I'd certainly like to see a FLL flight; traffic from SAN to S Florida is about the same as to MCO so Lauderdale should be able to support a flight as well. We'll have to wait and see what 2013 brings our way.

There's been a LOT done here by AAG in the past year. They are now the 2nd ranked airline at SAN in terms of # of destinations served with 10 cities. That puts them behind only WN as AS now moves ahead of UA, with their 9 unique destinations from here (9 IF CLE is included)! But I don't think we are even at focus city status yet with AS. I had hoped perhaps today there would be some indications along those lines but apparently not. Soon hopefully.

SAN-LIH/KOA please.

I'm with ya there bruda! Those were the next cities I was honestly expecting, but I'm VERY happy to see a decent attempt at Orlando-service finally. (Most of the things wrong with FL's bad attempt at briefly serving the market will not affect AS.)

bb

EA CO AS

Thu May 31, 2012 6:54 pm

We had an interactive map awhile back, but the contract with the vendor that provided that feature lapsed. We partnered with a new vendor and were able to bring that functionality back to alaskaair.com this week!
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

SANFan
Topic Author

Thu May 31, 2012 7:24 pm

HiFlyerAS asked a question on the other thread and yes, according to the currently available schedules at AS.com, connections will be available in both directions between MCO and HNL.

In fact, it may very well be the same plane used for those 4 flights! (AS did re-time the HNL-SAN flight hours earlier.) The connection/turn on the w/b trip is VERY quick in SAN IF the same a/c is used. (It looks like the schedule allows other possibilities for that w/b turn however.) Anyway, here are the schedules:

MCO - 8:05am AS763
SAN - 10:40am
SAN - 11:20am AS891
HNL - 2:25pm

HNL - 12:40pm AS862
SAN - 9:22pm
SAN - 10:35pm AS762
MCO - 6:30am

So I don't know how much business there is between Orlando and Hawaii but a single connection (1-stop) trip will be possible through SAN starting in October.

In a related note, AS has now issued a release about the unveiling of the Q400 in San Diego State colors;
http://splash.alaskasworld.com/Newsr...s/ASstories/AS_20120531_105818.asp

There isn't a picture of the plane that I could find but there is a video clip from Youtube of the painting of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffBDRW05lkQ

Nice things happening at Lindbergh today.

bb

Tomassjc

Thu May 31, 2012 7:41 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 1):
HOWEVER, they did get the frequencies wrong! It's an overnight turn so the return can't be the same frequency as the outbound. (As it is in the booking engine, it should be X23 SAN-MCO and X34 MCO-SAN.)

Could someone with Alaska please report it to the media dept for a fix?

Frequencies have been corrected on the AS internal site.

Tom SJC
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward -Leonardo DaVinci

SANMAN66

Thu May 31, 2012 8:06 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 7):
In a related note, AS has now issued a release about the unveiling of the Q400 in San Diego State colors;
There isn't a picture of the plane that I could find but there is a video clip from Youtube of the painting of it:

There's a separate thread going about QX's SDSU plane unveiled.There's a full picture of it included! Looks really good!

QX Unveils New SD State Livery

[Edited 2012-05-31 13:16:08]
PSA Gives you a lift!

G500

Thu May 31, 2012 8:12 pm

just curious, which airline has a bigger presence in the West Coast, United or Alaska??

BoeingGuy

Thu May 31, 2012 8:35 pm

Quoting g500 (Reply 10):
just curious, which airline has a bigger presence in the West Coast, United or Alaska??

Probably AS. UA does have a good presence on the West Coast, but if you are speaking of up and down the West Coast, then AS is bigger.

HPRamper

Thu May 31, 2012 8:40 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 11):
Probably AS. UA does have a good presence on the West Coast, but if you are speaking of up and down the West Coast, then AS is bigger.

Intra-West Coast traffic is indeed heavily AS, although UA is pretty strong within California.

AeroWesty

Thu May 31, 2012 8:44 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 11):
if you are speaking of up and down the West Coast, then AS is bigger.

Are you considering the SFO-LAX service on UA? AS has great coverage, but also has a lot of holes, especially intra-California.
International Homo of Mystery

gunsontheroof

Thu May 31, 2012 8:48 pm

California to Florida on Alaska...I suppose stranger things have happened.  

Seriously though, great score for SAN and AS. Should be a winner.

hiflyeras

Thu May 31, 2012 9:04 pm

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 14):
California to Florida on Alaska...I suppose stranger things have happened.

No different than Baltimore to Seattle on Southwest.   

SANFan
Topic Author

Thu May 31, 2012 11:24 pm

A couple of quick notes. I'm pleased to see that the SDIA gang (SAN.org) has already issued a press release about this great new route. (It's essentially just the AS PR but at least SAN corrected the mistake on the frequency of the flights; I guess AS isn't going to fix theirs.) Anyway, that's pretty fast for SDIA to jump on a new route like this. I get the feeling they are as stoked about AS as some of the rest of us are!

It should be noted that from SAN, I believe AS is now the first airline since Western to fly north, south, east and west -- all at the same time -- from our mini-airport in our little corner of the world! Nothing earthshaking but I think it's kind of an interesting and meaningful factoid. (If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.) A nice accomplishment for a great airline!

Thank you, Alaska, for expanding "The Experiment"!

bb

FSDan

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:12 am

The connection/turn on the w/b trip is VERY quick in SAN IF the same a/c is used. (It looks like the schedule allows other possibilities for that w/b turn however.) Anyway, here are the schedules:

Yeah, 40 mins is quick, but not unheard of. DL definitely schedules some 738 turns for ~40 mins.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

flyPBA

Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:01 am

Finally SAN is now seeing Florida service, its been dead overdue. But I didn't expect AS to fly this route. What other possible routes could AS open from SAN. They should seriously consider this place a secondary hub now with all the growth. SAN-LIH/KOA please.  

Well they did want to add SAN-DCA to that map ... but the US Govt didn't agree (this time around)

Tomassjc

Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:48 am

Quoting FSDan (Reply 17):
The connection/turn on the w/b trip is VERY quick in SAN IF the same a/c is used. (It looks like the schedule allows other possibilities for that w/b turn however.) Anyway, here are the schedules:

Yeah, 40 mins is quick, but not unheard of. DL definitely schedules some 738 turns for ~40 mins.

The MCO-SAN A/C will make up the 1140am SAN-SEA flight from what I can tell. The SAN-HNL flight will be off the 9:27am SEA arrival certain days and will be a RON A/C in SAN on others. For ETOPS checks, at least 90 minutes of ground time is scheduled on Hawaii departures.

Tom SJC
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward -Leonardo DaVinci

BoeingGuy

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:23 am

I'm happy for SAN getting all this new AS service, or at least attempted new flights (DCA). However, why is AS not instead continuing their SJC build up? I thought we'd see them continue to grow at SJC but is very minimal now (HNL and RNO maybe).

Why has AS not connected SJC with MCO, DCA, ORD, BOS, SNA (instead of giving up a few slots), etc?

SANMAN66

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:33 am

Quoting flyPBA (Reply 18):
Well they did want to add SAN-DCA to that map ... but the US Govt didn't agree (this time around)

I'm wondering if they will have another round DCA slot allocations in the near future?
PSA Gives you a lift!

FSDan

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:44 am

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 20):
Why has AS not connected SJC with MCO, DCA, ORD, BOS, SNA (instead of giving up a few slots), etc?

Of the cities you mention, AS has only announced MCO from SAN. I doubt you will see ORD or BOS in the near future from either SJC or SAN (on AS, that is), although BOS would be the more likely of the two.

SJC-MCO: I would be surprised if the market justifies the long flight
SJC-DCA: would need more beyond-perimeter slots to become available + much smaller market than SAN-DCA
SJC-ORD: already served by AA (and WN from MDW)
SJC-BOS: already served by B6
SJC-SNA: dominated by WN
SAN-DCA: they would obviously like this, but more beyond-perimeter slots would have to become available
SAN-ORD: already served by AA and UA (and WN from MDW)
SAN-BOS: already served by B6
SAN-SNA: never going to happen on any reasonable airline
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

wedgetail737

Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:20 am

Quoting FSDan (Reply 22):

Just because there are other airlines serving specific routes doesn't necessarily mean AS will stay off those routes. Hopefully, Alaska's SAN endeavors are successful and we will see further expansion. I can definitely see QX opening SJC and RNO to SAN with Q400's even with WN's presence (but it would mean QX would have to buy more).

SAN-SNA? You're probably right. But you can never say never...The Airline industry have shown more bizarre routes. What about SAN-LAX?

Mainline routes? Perhaps AS would consider reinstating SAN-YVR, additional SAN-Hawaii, who knows?

SANMAN66

Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:35 am

Quoting wedgetail737 (Reply 23):
Mainline routes? Perhaps AS would consider reinstating SAN-YVR, additional SAN-Hawaii, who knows?

If AS reinstated SAN-YVR, they would be sharing with AC on that route. I definitely can see more SAN-Hawaii
flights.

SAN-SNA? You're probably right. But you can never say never...The Airline industry have shown more bizarre routes. What about SAN-LAX?

Agreed. I don't see a SAN-SNA flight happening. I don't know what kind of market that would be. But who knows?

I can definitely see QX opening SJC and RNO to SAN with Q400's even with WN's presence

Agreed. Maybe even starting up a SAN-PSP with Q400s.
PSA Gives you a lift!

slcdeltarumd11

Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:11 am

The times seem good and the days chosen look dead on. Looks like a good attempt I hope it works

laca773

Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:59 am

Quoting FSDan (Reply 22):
SJC-ORD: already served by AA (and WN from MDW)

Interesting thoughts about SJC and SAN, FSDan.
The only thing I see differently is, SJC-ORD. AA flies this only 2x daily and WN's SJC-MDW is 1x daily. SJC-ORD used to be flown by UA 4x a day and AA was up to 4x a day as well back in the day.
There's more than enough demand for AS to add a couple of flights a day in the SJC-ORD market. I think this market would do well for AS. An early morning 0630ish and a 1130ish departures from SJC would be a nice start.

SANFan
Topic Author

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:51 am

Quoting Tomassjc (Reply 19):
The MCO-SAN A/C will make up the 1140am SAN-SEA flight from what I can tell. The SAN-HNL flight will be off the 9:27am SEA arrival certain days and will be a RON A/C in SAN on others. For ETOPS checks, at least 90 minutes of ground time is scheduled on Hawaii departures

I agree with you Tom. Heck, as I think about it, I'm not even sure that the :40 connection in SAN, from MCO to HNL, is legal...

On Tue and Wed nights, when the SAN-MCO flight doesn't go, the plane will simply RON in SAN just as it does now. We have this new MCO flight because it essentially uses no new a/c time. The entire SAN-MCO-SAN turn is funded entirely by a 738 that currently RONs at Lindbergh every night. (And I'm happy to see the HNL-SAN flight operating a couple of hours earlier too; it was getting pretty late -- landing in SAN at about midnight.

One other op's note. AS is going to have to watch the curfew at SAN - 11:30pm sharp! They've got about an hour of wiggle room after the scheduled departure of flt 762 to MCO and, trust me, AS wants that airplane off the blocks before 11:30 or else the flight is going to get awfully expensive! I note that the OGG flight comes into SAN between 9:30 and 10 so that might be a safety valve (a/c source) in case the HNL flight is going to be really delayed... As of now, that's the only alternative, suitable a/c they could call on to use for #762.
Quoting SANMAN66 (Reply 24):
If AS reinstated SAN-YVR, they would be sharing with AC on that route. I definitely can see more SAN-Hawaii flights.

The primary routes that AS has tried before (and more than once!) are YVR, BOI, GEG and SFO. I would love to see them try those again -- well, except for SFO -- and with a much larger fan-base here in San Diego now, and as part of the ongoing expansion, who knows, maybe they would work finally! AC is apparently doing well with SAN-YVR but even after a few years now, they are still running only an E190 on it (daily, year-round). And they have a very large operation/hub in YVR, which AS doesn't have. That route might be a bit of a gamble for AS...

Quoting SANMAN66 (Reply 24):
Maybe even starting up a SAN-PSP with Q400s

I could see that seasonally, as long as they have plenty of room for golf clubs on board! (Maybe continue the flight up to LAS from The Springs, like WA used to do...) I have often considered that a viable run with the right a/c for a long time now..

bb

SANMAN66

Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:59 am

Quoting SANFan (Reply 27):
Quoting SANMAN66 (Reply 24):Maybe even starting up a SAN-PSP with Q400s
I could see that seasonally, as long as they have plenty of room for golf clubs on board! (Maybe continue the flight up to LAS from The Springs, like WA used to do...) I have often considered that a viable run with the right a/c for a long time now..

I forgot that PSP is a mostly seasonal airport. If QX had a plane freed up from somewhere, they could start
up a SAN-PSP flight, and send the Q400 elsewhere in the off-season.
PSA Gives you a lift!

B777ER

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:33 am

Alaska needs a name change. What's ironic is names from the past are more suitable now such as Western or Northwest. Main hub in SEA, HQ is SEA, route network that is expanding from west coast to east coast/middle America..... Basically nothing at all to do with Alaska proper. When someone (look at it from a perspective of a regular customer who cannot tell the difference between a 737 and MD-90) thinks to fly from SAN to MCO, they do not think about Alaska.

Airport

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:20 pm

Quoting B777ER (Reply 29):
Alaska needs a name change. What's ironic is names from the past are more suitable now such as Western or Northwest. Main hub in SEA, HQ is SEA, route network that is expanding from west coast to east coast/middle America..... Basically nothing at all to do with Alaska proper. When someone (look at it from a perspective of a regular customer who cannot tell the difference between a 737 and MD-90) thinks to fly from SAN to MCO, they do not think about Alaska.

While it is odd to get on an airline named Alaska in San Diego bound for Florida, I think the Alaska reputation and brand equity is far too valuable to give up. Starting from scratch would be a tremendous risk with not a whole lot of reward potential, and why rock the boat when they're doing so well as is?

Tomassjc

Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:30 pm

Basically nothing at all to do with Alaska proper

Seriously? Tell that to someone from Barrow who needs their groceries or the customer in Nome who has to get to the Doctor in Anchorage. Alaska has everything to do with Alaska proper!

JAAlbert

Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:06 pm

I am always excited hearing that our little airport is getting new routes. But Orlando? I'm sure the airline has done its due diligence, but I would not have thought there is that much demand for Orlando from SAN. I can Ft. Lauderdale or Miami sooner. I wonder if we will see other Florida routes opened up?

I love SanFan's request for routes to KOA and LIH!! Come on Alaska!

wedgetail737

Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:28 pm

Basically nothing at all to do with Alaska proper

As Tom says, AS had everything to do with the State of Alaska. Outside of ANC and FAI, AS is the only mainline travel within the State ranging from KTN to BRW. AS brings a tremendous (if not all in some cases) amount of pax and freight the various AK communities, along with their intra-State partners.

hatbutton

Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:13 pm

When someone (look at it from a perspective of a regular customer who cannot tell the difference between a 737 and MD-90) thinks to fly from SAN to MCO, they do not think about Alaska.

You basically just defeated your own argument. Let's be honest. The majority of customers don't know who they are really flying ever anyways (just as they have no idea a 737 is different than an MD-90). I can't remember a time when more than one or two of my friends actually booked an airline based on choice. When you go to Orbitz or Expedia, you type in your desired route and if the price is right you will book. Who is honestly going to go and book a flight and see a nonstop flight at a decent price and go "Oh, but it's Alaska Airlines, SAN-MCO? This doesn't make sense, I'll fly someone else."

When I buy from Amazon.com I don't think that they are an online retailer based in a jungle in Brazil. A name is a name. It's all about the service that it's tied to. Customers in SAN aren't unaware of AS as AS has served SAN since 1986. Sure, there will need to be more marketing to get people to realize that AS thinks SAN is a good place to set up a mini focus city and they're branching out. But so far, the introduction of the SDSU Q400 and the press that the new service has gotten has been phenomenal.

HPRamper

Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:43 pm

On the contrary, I think Alaska is a very recognized brand on the West Coast. If someone is booking MCO-SAN, then maybe not. But at this point I think it would hurt AS much more than it would help to have a name change.

SANFan
Topic Author

Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:44 pm

Quoting JAAlbert (Reply 32):
But Orlando? I'm sure the airline has done its due diligence, but I would not have thought there is that much demand for Orlando from SAN. I can Ft. Lauderdale or Miami sooner. I wonder if we will see other Florida routes opened up?

Oh now JA', come on.   Several people, including Thella Bowens (CEO of SDIA), and myself (!?), have mentioned that MCO is the largest unserved nonstop domestic market from SAN with well over 400 O&D pax per day! In fact, over the last 6 years, the quarterly average PDEW in the market, according to the DOT figures, is 211. And that's very steady and consistent year-round. And, as of last year anyway, SAN has been the largest unserved domestic market out of MCO!

The problem has been, I would assume, the yields are generally low to and from MCO, and it's a long haul market (pretty darned close to a "legal" trans-con.) So nobody wanted to try it, except FL, back in 2007/8, who quickly failed. (IMHO, for good reason.) I've said many times that AS should not suffer from the causes of AirTran's failure on the route and I expect AS will do very well, hopefully going daily with the flight soon, and perhaps changing the e/b flight to daytime as well (when a/c availability permits.)

If (when!) MCO is successful for AS, I hope they will start the other Florida market we desperately need from SAN, South Florida -- for AS, that would be FLL.

Quoting JAAlbert (Reply 32):
I love SanFan's request for routes to KOA and LIH!! Come on Alaska!

If we look at the other main west coast-Hawaii markets for AS, KOA and LIH to SAN are, I think, the largest missing routes (now that PDX has both, meaning SEA, PDX, SJC and OAK all have service to all 4 islands.) SAN and SMF are the 2 cities lacking those routes.

bb

B777ER

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:31 pm

Quoting Tomassjc (Reply 31):
Seriously? Tell that to someone from Barrow who needs their groceries or the customer in Nome who has to get to the Doctor in Anchorage. Alaska has everything to do with Alaska proper!
Quoting wedgetail737 (Reply 33):
As Tom says, AS had everything to do with the State of Alaska. Outside of ANC and FAI, AS is the only mainline travel within the State ranging from KTN to BRW. AS brings a tremendous (if not all in some cases) amount of pax and freight the various AK communities, along with their intra-State partners.

Gent's, I understand AS is important to Alaska. That's the problem of online forums, the context cannot be captured. What I meant was their recent expansion of routes within lower 48 have had nothing to do with Alaska.

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 35):
On the contrary, I think Alaska is a very recognized brand on the West Coast. If someone is booking MCO-SAN, then maybe not. But at this point I think it would hurt AS much more than it would help to have a name change.

You may be right. From where I sit in Florida, nobody knows about AS.

hiflyeras

Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:49 pm

I believe that approximately 50% of airline bookings today come from third-party booking websites such as Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, etc. Even if someone in Florida isn't familiar with AS, their flight will be prominently displayed if someone is flying to SAN or SEA from MCO. That said, I think a large majority of people on AS's flights to MCO or MIA/FLL originate on the west coast, not in Florida.

wedgetail737

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:19 pm

Quoting B777ER (Reply 37):
Gent's, I understand AS is important to Alaska. That's the problem of online forums, the context cannot be captured. What I meant was their recent expansion of routes within lower 48 have had nothing to do with Alaska.

Many comments here are left for interpretation. Thanks for the clarification. AS will never change their name unless they are merged into someone else.

That's probably pretty true at pretty much all East Coast destinations. I would imagine most of the originating traffic from the east coast are return trips.

BoeingGuy

Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:09 pm

Quoting wedgetail737 (Reply 39):

That's probably pretty true at pretty much all East Coast destinations. I would imagine most of the originating traffic from the east coast are return trips.

I don't think that's true at all. Some people are clueless about stuff around them, and know nothing except what's on TV tonight. I'll bet a lot of people on the east and south who travel or keep themselves somewhat educated on the world, well know about AS. I just met someone from Virginia who came to SEA for business for the first time and flew AS's DCA-SEA flight. A lot of east coast people would know to choose AS for travel, when applicable.

Remember when AS 261 happened, it was stated in the articles about it that AS had excellent brand recognition and loyalty in PVR for example. I was in the Sonoma Valley last year and people know about AS (because of the QX flights to STS).

SANFan
Topic Author

Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:29 pm

I don't know where you sit but AS has served MCO (to SEA and PDX) for several years now. They've also served S. Florida via MIA (FLL starting next month.) So the brand should not be unknown to those large areas, due to advertising, presence at the airports, some word of mouth, etc., even to people who don't fly to the far west/Pacific coast often.

You said that Alaska needs to change their name, that the name is not really representative of their route map. (Some have suggested that very same thing to Southwest Airlines.) But I think the name on the side of the plane is really irrelevant to your point. There are lots of areas in this country where people don't know the name jetBlue either.

The airline with an Eskimo on the tail could be called Air Purple, Air Allovertheplace, Seattle Air Lines or anything else and the issue would still be the same -- they don't fly that much east of the Rockies. Expansion by Alaska Airlines and increased brand recognition is the solution and they appear to working on that! Changing their name is not the answer.

Alaska Airlines, the airline, is what it is, and where it is, with a rich and lengthy history. Why in the world would they want to give that up? (Especially these days with so many well-known airline names now found only in history books...)

bb

chrisair

Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:39 pm

I still wish AS sent another plane to TUS, with a morning northbound departure. With this SAN-MCO flight, it's going to be strange getting off the PDX or SEA late night arrivals and seeing people (other than the cleaning people) in the terminal.

I'm not even sure that the :40 connection in SAN, from MCO to HNL, is legal...

I don't see why it wouldn't be. Their minimum connection time in SEA is 45 minutes and 30 minutes at PDX. At SAN it's a matter of going across the hall.

Alaska needs a name change.

How does Delta sound?  

BoeingGuy

Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:47 pm

Quoting chrisair (Reply 42):
Alaska needs a name change.

How does Delta sound?

Yeah great, so 95% of AS's route structure would be gone in a heartbeat and you'd never find any frequent flier redemption availability. That sounds like an improvement to me. (sarcasm intended)

I'm not even sure that the :40 connection in SAN, from MCO to HNL, is legal...

I don't see why it wouldn't be. Their minimum connection time in SEA is 45 minutes and 30 minutes at PDX. At SAN it's a matter of going across the hall.

What's legal and what's smart may be two different things. I rarely ever book less than a 2:00 connect anywhere. People book a short connection because they are too clueless to understand the possible ramifications, then they blame the airline if they miss their connection.

wedgetail737

Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:03 pm

I still wish AS sent another plane to TUS, with a morning northbound departure. With this SAN-MCO flight, it's going to be strange getting off the PDX or SEA late night arrivals and seeing people (other than the cleaning people) in the terminal.

Another flight between SEA-TUS or a new flight between SAN-TUS. If you're talking about SAN-TUS, I would bet it'll be a Q400, not a 737.

AeroWesty

Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:05 pm

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 35):
But at this point I think it would hurt AS much more than it would help to have a name change.
Quoting SANFan (Reply 41):
Alaska Airlines, the airline, is what it is, and where it is, with a rich and lengthy history. Why in the world would they want to give that up? (Especially these days with so many well-known airline names now found only in history books...)

Couldn't agree more. After all, there was also a time when those in the Bay Area or S. California said "Alaska who?" when AS first came to town back then. Now the airline has a major presence up and down the state of California, far removed from its core founding base.

Will it be important for the Alaska Airlines name to be recognized in places such as Pensacola or Jacksonville in order for Orlando or Ft. Lauderdale flights to succeed? I can't believe that'd have a whiff of impact.

SANFan
Topic Author

Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:17 pm

True but I just don't know what the LEGAL minimum is at SAN. Heck, aside from WN, there have probably never been more than a handful of connections made here!

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 43):
What's legal and what's smart may be two different things. I rarely ever book less than a 2:00 connect anywhere. People book a short connection because they are too clueless to understand the possible ramifications, then they blame the airline if they miss their connection.

Of course this is the bottom line and a :40 connection from a 5 1/2 hour flight to a 6 hour flight (even via a small airport in usually nice weather) is asking for trouble.

Again, I don't expect that a large amount of traffic exists between MCO and HNL but I'm sure if AS finds a market there, they can tweak the times and at least get closer to an hour between flights. And in the other direction, SAN-MCO, there are some potential connection opportunities (such as FAT-SAN-MCO as well as SEA/PDX/STS/OGG-SAN-MCO) with some of them being rather tight as well. And as I mentioned elsewhere, AS is up against that nasty 11:30 curfew with the MCO-departure at SAN so they will have to be careful about that.

Quoting Tomassjc (Reply 19):
For ETOPS checks, at least 90 minutes of ground time is scheduled on Hawaii departures.

Tom, I wanted to clarify something about ETOPS. I've noticed that most of AS's turns in the Islands seem to be right around an hour. Is the 90 minute gt somehow just a mainland thing? I would think it would be the same for the opposite direction. Just curious.

bb

SANFan
Topic Author

Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Quoting wedgetail737 (Reply 44):
If you're talking about SAN-TUS, I would bet it'll be a Q400, not a 737.

A thought that has flitted through my alleged brain many times, landing on MY list for AS's future expansion ideas...
Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 45):
Will it be important for the Alaska Airlines name to be recognized in places such as Pensacola or Jacksonville in order for Orlando or Ft. Lauderdale flights to succeed? I can't believe that'd have a whiff of impact.

As long as AS fills the flights (profitably) that they offer around the country, and whether the pax originate at one end of the route or the other, I personally don't think they care. If their planes don't see enough (profitable) traffic on a route, there are plenty of other places to use their resources.

bb

AeroWesty

Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:35 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 46):
True but I just don't know what the LEGAL minimum is at SAN.

From a 2009 AS timetable, 20 minutes was the MCT at SAN for domestic inline connections for AS/QX flights.  Wow!

SANFan
Topic Author

Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:42 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 48):
From a 2009 AS timetable, 20 minutes was the MCT at SAN for domestic inline connections for AS/QX flights.

Good find 'Westy, thanks. In fact I just looked at the 9-17-11 timetable (the last of the "old" style ones that contained that information, and it was still :20 on that one too! WOW! So :40 minutes MCO-SAN-HNL is a legal connection then. Risky but legal!  

As Chris pointed out in Reply 42, it's not a long walk in T1W at SAN -- AS only uses 3 gates and they're all right next to each other -- so it isn't the physical connection at the airport between the 2 flights. (It shouldn't be more than a 1 minute walk from any AS gate to any OTHER AS gate!) It's more about what goes on at MCO and those 5 1/2 hours in the air...

Hey, that we're even discussing CONNECTIONS at SDIA, on Alaska Airlines, is a real good feeling folks! Even just a year ago, who'da thunk it?!

bb