as77w

AS Unveils San Diego State University Q400

Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:46 am

Link to Alaska Air's release about the new livery, along with a time lapse video of the aircraft being painted. Kind of bland in my opinion, wish they would have done something with the front of the aircraft instead of all that white.

http://splash.alaskasworld.com/Newsr...s/ASstories/AS_20120531_105818.asp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffBDRW05lkQ

SANMAN66

RE: AS Unveils San Diego State University Q400

Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:48 am

There was another thread about this somewhere, but it seems like it disappeared.
PSA Gives you a lift!

wedgetail737

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:10 am

I saw it revealed on Twitter. Good to see AS taking advantage of service opportunities out of SAN.

Tugger

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:14 am

Quoting AS77W (Thread starter):
Link to Alaska Air's release about the new livery, along with a time lapse video of the aircraft being painted. Kind of bland in my opinion, wish they would have done something with the front of the aircraft instead of all that white.

I am surprised they don't have at least one picture of it on their website.

And the UT has a decent series for the first flight in SD (I have it set to my favorite of the bunch, pic 9 Big grin ) :
http://www.utsandiego.com/photos/gal...012/may/31/sdsu-aztec-airplane/#/9

I tend to agree with your comment that "more" would have been nicer but of course beggars can't be choosers. It's great that they went through the trouble and expense to make it. Though you have to admit, the Aztec's colors, black and red with a touch of gold, could look pretty damn awesome splashed across an entire fuselage!

Tugg

[Edited 2012-05-31 20:37:11]
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

studedave

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:44 am

Gee- I wonder what that big orange and blue blob could possibly be in the backround of that video...?

StudeDave
Classic planes, Classic trains, and Studebakers~~ what else is there???

flightsimer

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:49 am

Quoting StudeDave (Reply 4):

Lmao, didn't even notice it...

I'm surprised to see them painting two aircraft right ext to each other like that. I guess overspray wont reach that far?
Commercial Pilot- SEL, MEL, Instrument

redrooster3

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:50 am

Here is my photo from today, I like it.

N414QX, Aztec final approach into KSAN 5/31/2012 ></a></body></html>
The only thing you should change about a woman is her last name.

SXDFC

Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:09 am

Gee- I wonder what that big orange and blue blob could possibly be in the backround of that video...?

Does anyone know the dates and location where this bird was painted?
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

gmcc

Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:27 am

Quoting SXDFC (Reply 7):

Does anyone know the dates and location where this bird was painted?

According to the following link "A crew of eight people worked around the clock for seven days at Associated Painters Inc., of Spokane, Wash., to paint the plane."

http://www.eturbonews.com/29502/alas...-airlines-unveils-sdsu-aztec-plane

AS if you are going to paint them in Spokane, how about a Zag plane (please)

as77w

Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:38 am

Haha that is interesting! WN and AS merger anybody?  stirthepot 

[Edited 2012-05-31 22:40:17]

SANMAN66

Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:45 am

Quoting AS77W (Reply 9):
WN and AS merger anybody?

NOOOOOOO! Perish the thought!!  Wow!
Quoting gmcc (Reply 8):

What is a Zag plane?
PSA Gives you a lift!

Tugger

Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:22 am

Quoting redrooster3 (Reply 6):
Here is my photo from today, I like it.

Very nice!   

Quoting SANMAN66 (Reply 10):
What is a Zag plane?

Gonzaga University

Located in Spokane Washington ... it's got a decent basketball program... 

Tgg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

hatbutton

Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:46 am

Quoting tugger (Reply 3):
I tend to agree with your comment that "more" would have been nicer but of course beggars can't be choosers.

Yeah all the university themed aircraft follow the same pattern just with color and logo changes.

Quoting gmcc (Reply 8):

Yeah I'm actually kind of surprised we don't have a Gonzaga plane yet. Considering how big GEG is compared to some of the other cities we fly to that received university themed aircraft.

USAIRWAYS321

Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:48 pm

Quoting hatbutton (Reply 12):
Yeah I'm actually kind of surprised we don't have a Gonzaga plane yet. Considering how big GEG is compared to some of the other cities we fly to that received university themed aircraft.

It can get tricky when you start to license logos, etc. from private universities. All schools so far in the special livery program are public. Also, Alaska might want to stay away from associating with a particular religion (Gonzaga is a Catholic school).

hatbutton

Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:03 pm

Quoting USAIRWAYS321 (Reply 13):
It can get tricky when you start to license logos, etc. from private universities. All schools so far in the special livery program are public. Also, Alaska might want to stay away from associating with a particular religion (Gonzaga is a Catholic school).

All good points.

whatusaid

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:43 pm

They'd better not have that on the FAT-SAN run Monday. Seriously bad PR in Fresno if they do.

as77w

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:20 pm

Quoting whatusaid (Reply 15):

I was on the Oregon State Q400 on SEA-EUG a few months ago. When the FA asked if there was anything else they could do to make the flight better, on passenger yelled, "PAINT THE PLANE!". Everybody on board started cheering and clapping. Great stuff.

SANFan

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:25 pm

They'd better not have that on the FAT-SAN run Monday. Seriously bad PR in Fresno if they do

Huh oh, this could get ugly! (Would a low pass over the Fresno State campus by the Mighty Flying Aztec be out of the question????)  

Come on. If that happens, all you need to do is get the ground crew at FAT decked out in Bulldog masks! lol

bb

whatusaid

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:02 am

Quoting SANFan (Reply 17):
They'd better not have that on the FAT-SAN run Monday. Seriously bad PR in Fresno if they do

Huh oh, this could get ugly! (Would a low pass over the Fresno State campus by the Mighty Flying Aztec be out of the question????)  

Come on. If that happens, all you need to do is get the ground crew at FAT decked out in Bulldog masks! lol

bb

Unfortunately, you're pretty much correct that unless they take a hard left, that aircraft will skirt to the south of the campus.

AS77W, thank you for the heads-up. My son is on one of the first flights and given he's from Fresno and is at UCSD, I'm sure he won't have a problem doing just that.

...and in the end, AS just loves the attention they're getting from these school themes....

SANFan

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:56 am

Quoting whatusaid (Reply 18):
...and in the end, AS just loves the attention they're getting from these school themes....

... a few cans of paint and some unusual (and very mobile) canvases is money in the bank for Alaska!

It's a fantastic idea on SO many levels. I hope whoever came up with it got a BIG bonus!

bb

aztrainer

Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:04 am

I had to watch it twice to see that.... Good eye

I have a question. Do they spray a clear coat on the whole plane or is it integrated into the paint? I would think that without the common layer there would be slight differences in the paint thickness. I have painted cars before and know the steps I have taken from that perspective.

EmperortimSJO

Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:05 am

Quoting hatbutton (Reply 12):

Would this be a stab at say Montana State and where I live in Bozeman?? Haha

whatusaid

Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:13 pm

The first FAT-SAN is not on that Aztec themed Q.

Thank you Alaska!!

Silver1SWA
Crew

Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:59 pm

I must say its pretty cool seeing my Alma Mater painted on the side of an aircraft!   
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

SANFan

Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:14 pm

Quoting whatusaid (Reply 22):

(It is only a matter of time what', only a matter of time....!) Heh heh heh heh heh [twists evil mustache]  
Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 23):
I must say its pretty cool seeing my Alma Mater painted on the side of an aircraft!

Go Aztecs!!

I wonder where the Mighty Flying Aztec is hiding this morning?? Any reports anyone?   

bb

hatbutton

Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:35 pm

Quoting EmperortimSJO (Reply 21):
Would this be a stab at say Montana State and where I live in Bozeman?? Haha

Haha not a stab at all. At least it wasn't meant that way.

SANFan

Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:29 pm

I just wanted to report that in case there was any doubt about where the new Horizon flights (to/from FAT, MRY and STS) would arrive and depart at SAN, the answer is "T1W", and not the CT. Due to some QX-AS connecting opportunities now offered through SAN, this was the obvious choice. Probably most of us expected this but now it's confirmed.

AS's 3 gates at SAN are now going to be a bit more congested but with just a tic under 20 daily departures, the schedule is still doable. When winter rolls around and weather delays are more frequent, it could get more interesting during peak times.

Speculation, I'm sure, will continue as to AAG's near-term future plans regarding real estate growth at SAN -- stay with their 3 gates in T1W, grow their ground there when UA leaves T1W a year from now, or will AS head to the new gates being built at T2WW? (I know it will with me...)

bb

SANMAN66

Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:54 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 26):
Speculation, I'm sure, will continue as to AAG's near-term future plans regarding real estate growth at SAN -- stay with their 3 gates in T1W, grow their ground there when UA leaves T1W a year from now, or will AS head to the new gates being built at T2WW? (I know it will with me...)

I suppose there could be a change in plans as to where UA and AS will go, (depending on the AS/QX buildup)
UA could simply stay in T-1W ,(where they've been for the past 45 years),and gain those three gates vacated by
AS. However, the plans may likely stay the same, if UA is planning some sort of buildup?
PSA Gives you a lift!

SANFan

Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:38 pm

Quoting SANMAN66 (Reply 27):
I suppose there could be a change in plans as to where UA and AS will go, (depending on the AS/QX buildup.) UA could simply stay in T-1W ,(where they've been for the past 45 years),and gain those three gates vacated by AS. However, the plans may likely stay the same, if UA is planning some sort of buildup?

The problem with that scenario, SANMAN', is that currently UA is a (very!) split operation at SAN with the ex-"CO" flights still op'ing out of T2W, the UAX flights using the CT, and all the pmUA flights still using the 5 gates in T1W. So at least in 2013, all mainland flights on UA will will be consolidated in the new gates in the Green Build. (And they will undoubtedly need more than the 5 gates they have now at T1W; that's why they haven't moved the pmCO flights over there already.) And unfortunately, I don't think UA is planning anything new or exciting in the foreseeable future here in SAN.

I think it's a given that UA will be moving and their 5 gates (and Red Carpet Room) will be vacated. What happens to all that space is the big ?????? (And as I just pointed out on the WN New-Schedule thread, WN continues to cut service at SAN big-time, so I see no reason at all why they would be interested in taking any of those soon-to-be-empty UA gates...)

bb

mogandoCI

Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:40 pm

Slightly off topic, but would it be wise for AS to upgrade SAN from a focus city into a full scale hub ?

SANFan

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:18 pm

Quoting mogandoCI (Reply 29):
Slightly off topic, but would it be wise for AS to upgrade SAN from a focus city into a full scale hub?

Ooooo, what a question. But if you insist: by all means; definitely; how soon can they do it; of course; absolutely; why not; YES! (Hey, you asked!)

More seriously though, I would not even call San Diego a focus city yet. That would have to come first, but it COULD happen pretty soon. I think if the DOT had awarded SAN-DCA to AS, and along with what AAG has done recently here (going back about 9 months -- new routes to HNL, and now FAT, MRY, STS and MCO, plus year-round PVR and added capacity to SJD, OGG and PDX) I could certainly see the term "mini focus city" applying...

AFAIK there is no "legal" definition of the terms "focus", "mini-focus", "mini-hub", etc., but there sure has been a significant increase in AS's op's at SAN recently. Many here (not just me!) hope to see SAN soon become at least a focus city for AS. And IMHO the time is perfect for that to happen!

bb

timf

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:28 pm

It would make the most sense to have AS in T2 with partners AA and DL, but I don't think there will be enough gate space for both them and UA in the expansion. Perhaps if they moved all the unaffiliated LCCs over to T1W they could fit AS in T2E. This would also streamline their operations by giving them access to the international arrivals area without having to tow back to T1 for departures.

irelayer

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:44 pm

As an Aztec alum and a SAN resident I love the idea, but they definitely could have done something better with the fuselage...

-IR

SANFan

Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:17 pm

Quoting irelayer (Reply 32):
As an Aztec alum and a SAN resident I love the idea, but they definitely could have done something better with the fuselage...

Oh come on now! Beggars. Choosers.  

Two things. 1) It's pretty clear what the name of the University is as is. (And isn't that the point?) And 2) considering the cost and time element to paint a plane, all born by AAG while not costing SDSU a single penny, a simple, clear, and quick job would be expected wouldn't it?

I will again say that I think the whole thing looks wonderful and most definitely identifiable. (Just ask whatusaid!   )

Quoting timf (Reply 31):
It would make the most sense to have AS in T2 with partners AA and DL, but I don't think there will be enough gate space for both them and UA in the expansion. Perhaps if they moved all the unaffiliated LCCs over to T1W they could fit AS in T2E. This would also streamline their operations by giving them access to the international arrivals area without having to tow back to T1 for departures.

You're right. It would be nice to place all alliance members together too (ask US, UA and AC.) Perhaps at some point, it will end up in that direction but I think AA likes being with BA (and undoubtedly JL will be in T2E as well) so it gets kind of complicated to try to arrange things perfectly.

Sure, when considering those 5 soon-to-be-available gates in T1W, it is a possibility that several cx could move over there, such as B6, SY, F9, VX, G4, etc. There's plenty of ticket counter space in T1W. That would then free up space in T2. But there would also be a huge moving bill that I doubt the SDCRAA folks would like to get!

I don't know if there are lease rate differences (and other costs) between T1 and T2 but if there were, I'm sure T1 would be the cheapest real estate at the airport. But then, maybe AS likes it that way, considering where they live right now.

Maybe the SDIA folks will use this opportunity (the opening of the Green Build next year) to just pack everybody up and relocate all the cx! That would be exciting to see!

bb

Silver1SWA
Crew

Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:57 pm

Quoting irelayer (Reply 32):

Hey, as a fellow alum I'll take what we got. I've never thought of SDSU as the kind of school one would expect to get this kind of exposure. Pretty cool if you ask me.  

SANFan

Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:27 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 34):
I've never thought of SDSU as the kind of school one would expect to get this kind of exposure.

Absolutely, R. And that's why I'm pretty excited about how AAG is looking at SAN these days...   

bb

irelayer

Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:45 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 34):
Hey, as a fellow alum I'll take what we got. I've never thought of SDSU as the kind of school one would expect to get this kind of exposure. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Normally I would agree with you, but I think, at least regionally, SDSU has gained prominence over the past 3-5 years, mostly due to their basketball team's national successes. So painting a regional airliner in school colors is befitting of that.

VERY cool!  

-IR

SANMAN66

Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:01 am

Quoting whatusaid (Reply 22):

I wonder which route the Aztec plane will be flying? MRY? or STS?
PSA Gives you a lift!

BoeingGuy

Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:23 am

Quoting SANFan (Reply 35):
And that's why I'm pretty excited about how AAG is looking at SAN these days...

Yep. we are happy for you. As I've mentioned previously, I'm happy for SAN but disappointed that AS seems to have stopped their expansion at SJC. At first it looked like SJC was going to morph into more of a focus city and pick up a little slack for AA's gutting of SJC. They did add HNL recently, but dropped AUS. I guess RNO is a slight concession, but I was hoping to see much more continued build up at my old home town.

wedgetail737

Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:51 am

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 38):
Yep. we are happy for you. As I've mentioned previously, I'm happy for SAN but disappointed that AS seems to have stopped their expansion at SJC. At first it looked like SJC was going to morph into more of a focus city and pick up a little slack for AA's gutting of SJC. They did add HNL recently, but dropped AUS. I guess RNO is a slight concession, but I was hoping to see much more continued build up at my old home town.

That's because SJC is cursed. Everytime a relatively small airline sets up shop (hub) at SJC, they absorbed by a major and SJC is totally dismantled. Look at OC and QQ. I'm glad AS has stopped building up SJC. LOL!

whatusaid

Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:00 am

Silver1SWA
Crew

Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:04 am

Quoting irelayer (Reply 36):
Normally I would agree with you, but I think, at least regionally, SDSU has gained prominence over the past 3-5 years, mostly due to their basketball team's national successes. So painting a regional airliner in school colors is befitting of that

Absolutely.

SANMAN66

Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:10 am

Quoting whatusaid (Reply 40):
Wow, 727's on FAT-SAN!

LOL! Now that's an old picture!! The 1980s I presume?   

They did add HNL recently, but dropped AUS. I guess RNO is a slight concession,

In addition to RNO, didn't AS add SJC-PSP too?
PSA Gives you a lift!

SANFan

Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:03 am

Quoting whatusaid (Reply 40):
Wow, 727's on FAT-SAN!

Heck, they apparently re-built all the old GD/Convair buildings since the last time I was at SAN also! What a kick. Hey, didn't someone say once that even incorrect publicity using 20 year- old file photos is better than no publicity? No? Oh well, I did.  

bb

hiflyeras

Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:51 am

I haven't given up on SJC as well as SAN for future new routes. AS has nine new aircraft coming over the next year...I'm hoping a couple of those will see service east out of both.

SANFan

Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:36 am

I'm happy for SAN but disappointed that AS seems to have stopped their expansion at SJC. At first it looked like SJC was going to morph into more of a focus city and pick up a little slack for AA's gutting of SJC. They did add HNL recently, but dropped AUS. I guess RNO is a slight concession, but I was hoping to see much more continued build up at my old home town.

Thanks again for the nice words 'Guy. I would have to imagine that Alaska is interested in carefully growing by adding profitable routes where they find them. And what's profitable yesterday, today and tomorrow might be rather different. Airlines change, cities and markets change, competition changes, and the business environment certainly keeps changing.

That being said, I don't see any particular evidence that expansion by AS at Mineta is over; HNL, RNO and PSP have been added fairly recently. And I have yet to see any official annoucement about AAG's future plans (if any) for SAN. It looks to me like AS is finding opportunities these days to use their new aircraft out of SEA, PDX, SJC and now SAN. Eventually maybe a new focus operation will emerge. Maybe not. But I certainly keep hoping and you should do the same.

bb

bjorn14

Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:00 am

Too bad they couldn't/didn't use the old Aztec logo. That would have been sharp.

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/newlook/logos/aztecs.html
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

BoeingGuy

Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:09 pm

Quoting SANMAN66 (Reply 42):
In addition to RNO, didn't AS add SJC-PSP too?

They resumed it, not added it. AS did SJC-PSP for many years and then discontinued it. Then it came back for one seasin with a QX CR7. Now it is back a third time.

SJC-SJD is also a resumption of a previously discontinued route. Hopefully SJC-AUS will come back.

Quoting wedgetail737 (Reply 39):
That's because SJC is cursed. Everytime a relatively small airline sets up shop (hub) at SJC, they absorbed by a major and SJC is totally dismantled. Look at OC and QQ. I'm glad AS has stopped building up SJC. LOL!

Well okay, now that you put it in those terms I suppose I don't want to see AS build up in SJC.   Yeah, and apparently AA wanted to buy AS in the late 1990s. That's the dictionary definition of incompetence, when you keep making the same mistake over and over expecting different results. They twice previously found out that they didn't really want routes up and down the West Coast (as did US) but they apparently wanted to gut out a third airline - as has apparently DL wanted to buy and gut AS also. Thankfully, AS management isn't that dumb.

B595

Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:11 am

Quoting SANMAN66 (Reply 37):
I wonder which route the Aztec plane will be flying? MRY? or STS?

The inaugural SAN-MRY flight had the regular Alaska livery.

Hopefully the special themes will get rotated through MRY in the future. I've seen many of them while transiting in SEA and they are eye-catching if nothing else.

SANFan

Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:52 am

Still nobody's seen the Flying Aztec on any QX flights anywhere?

bb