Pelle
Topic Author

Only Earbud-style Headphones Allowed

Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:30 pm

Dear a.netters,

My apologies if a similar topic has already been posted - I couldn't find anything here or on Google.

I recently flew 5 fligts on Air Canda/SAS, and on all flights pax were told that only earbud-style headphones were allowed (at least during take-off & landing, iirc).

Why is this?
DHC6 CRJ700 ERJ190 737 733 735 738 752 763 772 77W 744 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346

pygmalion

RE: Only Earbud-style Headphones Allowed

Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:38 pm

Passengers need to be able to hear safety messages in case of an incident during the more critical take off or landing phase. I am actually surprised they allow ear buds.

tonystan

Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:46 pm

BA is about to trial a range of earbud style earphones so that it can get clearance to operate gate2gate IFE. You will be able to watch a movie from when you sit down to when you get off however only if you use the BA provided earphones.

Not sure how this will work in premium cabins where passengers get noise cancelling ones though!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

OzarkD9S

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:20 pm

I loathe earbuds, prefer the old fashioned muff style.
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

Pelle
Topic Author

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:32 pm

Quoting tonystan (Reply 2):
BA is about to trial a range of earbud style earphones so that it can get clearance to operate gate2gate IFE. You will be able to watch a movie from when you sit down to when you get off however only if you use the BA provided earphones.

Interesting, but have you got any idea why earbud-headphones are OK and over-the-ear-types aren't?

Viscount724

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:39 pm

Quoting Pelle (Reply 4):

Interesting, but have you got any idea why earbud-headphones are OK and over-the-ear-types aren't?

Your question was answered in Reply 1. In emergency situations, electrical power may fail and cabin crew may have to call out evacuation instructions. You're less likely to hear such announcements with over-the-ear type headphones.

seansasLCY

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:40 pm

On recent flights with both Virgin Australia and Oman Air, all announcements made simply stopped the IFE and it was all you could hear. On a lot of carriers now the safety demonstration is a video so better headphones would mean more people would hear it.

777jaah

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:53 pm

Quoting seansasLCY (Reply 6):
On recent flights with both Virgin Australia and Oman Air, all announcements made simply stopped the IFE and it was all you could hear. On a lot of carriers now the safety demonstration is a video so better headphones would mean more people would hear it.

Same with AV. EVERY announcement overrides the IFE, a bit annoying when they just start talking about anything but important issues.
Next flights: AV BOG-ADZ-BOG, AV-UA BOG-IAD-ORD-IAD-BOG, BOG-FLL-BOG, LA BOG-MIA-BOG J

GolfBravoRomeo

Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:07 pm

Noise canceling headphones, like other electronic devices, need to be turned off.

Tugger

Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:33 pm

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 3):
I loathe earbuds, prefer the old fashioned muff style.

I am fine with earbuds, I have a good pair, but yes the over-the-ear (not on-the ear) are vastly more comfortable to me. They only problem I have with them is that I can't turn my head when I lay back, so ear buds work best then.

all announcements made simply stopped the IFE and it was all you could hear. On a lot of carriers now the safety demonstration is a video so better headphones would mean more people would hear it.

Actually I have a big problem with the volume they pump the announcements up to over the headphones. It practically blows my ear drums out, it is painful and I have to unplug the headphones from the IFE.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

kcljj

Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:33 pm

Hmm, if by earbud design, they mean the white ipod ones, then I guess that makes sense.I see the logic but to be honest; I know that many people have invested in what are known as IEM (in ear monitor) earphones which basically blocks out a lot of the external noise minus without the need for active noise cancellation. When I have my set of Comply foam tips on, I can barely hear the outside world and I hear nothing when I have music on.
However, I have found that active noise cancellation does not block speech and open-backed design headphones leak sound out and also let it in. Basically, I am less likely to hear any announcement with my earphones then headphones. Which seems to defeat the point of implementing the rule.
The only advantage that earphones have is that they can be pulled out in an instant and they are also very light.

flightsimer

Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:22 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 5):
Your question was answered in Reply 1. In emergency situations, electrical power may fail and cabin crew may have to call out evacuation instructions. You're less likely to hear such announcements with over-the-ear type headphones

That makes absolutely no sense ( not your pst but the reason they are using).

Earbuds fit into the canal of the ear (unless they arethe very cheap kind) and are typically more soundproofing than over the ear headphones.

I wear my ear buds with my iPhone listening to music while riding the tractor cutting grass and only have the volume on med-low and don't hear the tractor at all.

I also wear them as the only protection while flying on our Fairchild C-123K Provider which is powered by two PW R-2800 radial engines and I sit right next to the prop/exhaust and only faintly hear them. Mind you, there is absolutely no insulation in the plane.
Commercial Pilot- SEL, MEL, Instrument

Viscount724

Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:36 pm

I believe another reason may be that some over-the-ear headphones are quite large, and in the event of an emergency, if they fell on the floor they would be more likely to cause passengers to trip over them during evacuation than the small earbud headphones.

alevik
Crew

Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:14 pm

In Canada, both Westjet and Air Canada state that only ear-bud style earphones connected into the aircraft's entertainment system can be used during take-off and landing and taxi. The part about the aircraft system is important and relates to hearing messages from the crew in event of emergency.

The ear bud style also do not form a closed loop that could snag or delay evacuation.
Improvise, adapt, overcome.

longhauler

Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:47 pm

Quoting alevik (Reply 13):
The ear bud style also do not form a closed loop that could snag or delay evacuation.

This is the big point. They can be removed quickly, and if caught on something, they will not hinder you.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

Pelle
Topic Author

Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:35 pm

Quoting longhauler (Reply 14):

This is the big point. They can be removed quickly, and if caught on something, they will not hinder you.

Makes sense. On the 4 Air Canada legs i flew, ALL announcements were made over the IFE.

flyabunch

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:28 pm

I think this whole thing is a crock. I use Bose noice cancelling and I can hear announcements just fine. A lot of times I put them on as soon as I sit down, without powering them on, just to cut the volume on the announcements. They have the volume on the PA cranked up so high to overcome the talking that it hurts.

Mike

LXa332

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:42 pm

On recent flights with both Virgin Australia and Oman Air, all announcements made simply stopped the IFE and it was all you could hear.

DL does this too. On a/c with personal IFE, there's also a message that pops up, "Flight Crew Announcement"

longhauler

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:59 pm

Quoting Pelle (Reply 15):
Makes sense. On the 4 Air Canada legs i flew, ALL announcements were made over the IFE.

And the PA as well, you probably just didn't notice.

Quoting flyabunch (Reply 16):
I think this whole thing is a crock. I use Bose noise cancelling and I can hear announcements just fine.

As I said, the issue is not about whether you can hear announcements, it is about the design of the headset itself. Ear-bud headsets are usually a Y with the attachment in front of you. If you had to remove them in a hurry you could. Or if you fell asleep, and just ran for an exit without removing them, you'd leave them attached to your seat.

It would be a shame to be found 8 feet from a usable exit, succumbed to smoke inhalation, tangled up in your noise cancelling headset!
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

kgaiflyer

Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:41 pm

Quoting flyabunch (Reply 16):
I think this whole thing is a crock. I use Bose noice cancelling and I can hear announcements just fine. A lot of times I put them on as soon as I sit down, without powering them on, just to cut the volume on the announcements. They have the volume on the PA cranked up so high to overcome the talking that it hurts.

I use earbuds (*very* expensive Audio-Technica earbuds, mind you) and am inclined to agree with you. On most transcon sUA flights you have company-provided earphones in your seat pocket. On most sCO flights you pick up a pair of free earbuds as you board the plane. But these are two divisions of the *same* airline.

I remember the days when you used to have to buy earphones on the plane because (1) they used some kind of freaky two-pronged plug receptacle or (2) used an air-driven sound system with the speaker actually in your seat chair-arm. I remember TWA charged $5 for theirs way back in the 90s.

I suspect we're going back to the proprietary plugs that you can only purchase on the plane -- perhaps a new type of sound system with which you can't use an adapter and your own earphones.

Using this logic, IFE will become a revenue generator.

[Edited 2012-06-01 14:43:12]

flyabunch

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:02 pm

Quoting longhauler (Reply 18):
As I said, the issue is not about whether you can hear announcements, it is about the design of the headset itself. Ear-bud headsets are usually a Y with the attachment in front of you. If you had to remove them in a hurry you could. Or if you fell asleep, and just ran for an exit without removing them, you'd leave them attached to your seat.

It would be a shame to be found 8 feet from a usable exit, succumbed to smoke inhalation, tangled up in your noise cancelling headset!

I understand your point but I really don't think that my headset would be a hinderance to evac. First, most of the time I put them on without the cord until airborne and allowed to turn on my "approved electronic device" (IPOD). So there is nothing to get caught.

And, throwing them off, even with the cord, would cause no more of a tangle problem then would buds. I have tried them too and did not like them in my ears. I have tried at least six kinds and I still go back to the over ear. I could ditch them in a heartbeat if there was a need.

mike

falkerker

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:23 pm

Quoting LXa332 (Reply 17):
On recent flights with both Virgin Australia and Oman Air, all announcements made simply stopped the IFE and it was all you could hear.
Quoting LXa332 (Reply 17):
DL does this too. On a/c with personal IFE, there's also a message that pops up, "Flight Crew Announcement"

What if there is a power failure and all the crew can do is just speak out any indications? No IFE. And before I get crucified on "if there was a power failure I´d take my headphones off¨" remember stupid people are everywhere and this measures are meant to be foolproof

longhauler

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:02 pm

Quoting flyabunch (Reply 20):
I understand your point but I really don't think that my headset would be a hinderance to evac.

Understand though, that airline safety is a matrix of "what ifs" and "really don't think" just doesn't cut it. In fact, it has only been the advent of ear-bud headsets that even allowed them to be used during take-off and landing in the first place.

As we all know, airline safety is made up of thousands of rules. Most make sense, some do not. And while you very well may be able to evacuate wearing a noise canceling headset, if there is even a remote chance that some could not ... then it wont be allowed. Remember, this is the transportation medium that shows everyone how to use a seat belt before even moving!

AirCanada787

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:13 pm

I was on an AC flight last year and someone asked why they could only use ear-buds during take off. The cabin crew member told them that it was because of evacuation rules. As longhauler has pointed out they won't hinder you much if they are all over the floor and the point is to keep the area as free from as many things as you can so that in an emergency everyone can get out fast.

Quoting flyabunch (Reply 20):
I understand your point but I really don't think that my headset would be a hinderance to evac.

You don't think so, but apparently Transport Canada thinks it would be.
The mind, like a parachute, functions only when open.

contrails15

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:54 pm

Doesn't the IFE cut out during announcements???
Giants football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flyabunch

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:16 am

Quoting longhauler (Reply 22):
Understand though, that airline safety is a matrix of "what ifs" and "really don't think" just doesn't cut it. In fact, it has only been the advent of ear-bud headsets that even allowed them to be used during take-off and landing in the first place.

As we all know, airline safety is made up of thousands of rules. Most make sense, some do not. And while you very well may be able to evacuate wearing a noise canceling headset, if there is even a remote chance that some could not ... then it wont be allowed. Remember, this is the transportation medium that shows everyone how to use a seat belt before even moving!

I do understand your point. I fly over 100 flights a year and i do get a bit jaded about some of the rules. I understand that they have to be written and enforced with the idea that everyone is a first timer. As I am sure there are always some that will not be able to handle the headset situation well.

I would never argue the point with a flight crew. I have always been appreciative of the job they have to do in dealing with the general public. It just seems that that public gets dumber all the time. And, your reference to the seatbelt is a great one. I always chuckle when the flight attendants walk through the cabin making sure everyone is buckled up...before the explanation of how to do it!

Mike

ikramerica

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:27 am

Quoting GolfBravoRomeo (Reply 8):
Noise canceling headphones, like other electronic devices, need to be turned off.

This is the reason. It's a stupid reason, as NCHs don't create interference, but that's the problem with rules. They must be followed without question.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Chinook747

Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:14 am

On AC the earbuds only apply during take off and landing. You are more than welcome to use your over the ear headphones during inflight operations. AC also now allows the use of their IFE during take off and landing, but, only if your wearing bud type earphones.

skyhawkmatthew

Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:58 am

Quoting GolfBravoRomeo (Reply 8):
Quoting ikramerica (Reply 26):

This is the reason. It's a stupid reason, as NCHs don't create interference, but that's the problem with rules. They must be followed without question.

That's something I've always found quite weird: Qantas' premium classes get noise-cancelling headphones provided - and they are allowed and continue to work gate-to-gate - but if you bring your own NCHs you have to switch them off.
Qantas - The Spirit of Australia.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:15 am

I have yet to find a reasonably priced set of ear-buds that fit my ears; so I cannot use common ear-buds.

I recall from my safety days that when providing ear-bud style ear plugs that we had a guage to size a person's ear and to then provide the correct size of ear plug. I have never seen ear-bud headphones offered in "small, med, large" sizes. It seems to be a world of "one size fits all" except that is not true at all.

Thus, I use over the ear headphones. I can hear all the announcements through them as well.

Have a great day,

jwhite9185

Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:38 am

Another point thats not been raised here... Hopefully you get to keep the earphones and they don't collect them in at the end of the flight like they currently do - not sure i'd want a pair that have been in 100's of other peoples ears.

Although admittedly I use my own anyway as they're much better than the cheap ones the airline give out.
@mytripreport

777klm

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:03 am

Quoting skyhawkmatthew (Reply 28):
That's something I've always found quite weird: Qantas' premium classes get noise-cancelling headphones provided - and they are allowed and continue to work gate-to-gate - but if you bring your own NCHs you have to switch them off.

Quote from the QF website:

"Personal headsets connected to the inflight entertainment system, including those with noise cancelling ability, can be used on all Qantas International and Domestic flights from boarding through until arrival."

I think the "including those with noise canceling ability" part is important here.
Next flight: AMS - BCN - EZE

warden145

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:07 am

Quoting longhauler (Reply 18):
Quoting Pelle (Reply 15):

And the PA as well, you probably just didn't notice.

FWIW the BA flights I've been on had the flight announcements coming over the IFE system as well as a PA, but the PA was so quiet that I couldn't hear it...I could hear that the announcement was happening, but I couldn't hear any of the words. I had to plug my headphones in to the IFE to hear anything, including the pre-flight safety announcement.

Can't comment on other airlines since I've never been on a plane from another airline that had IFE, but it struck me as odd...

Also, add me to the list of people who can't tolerate ear buds...I find them terribly uncomfortable and would be quite upset if that was the only option available if airlines ever returned to a proprietary IFE plug...
ETOPS = Engine Turns Off, Passengers Swim

skyhawkmatthew

Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:10 am

Quoting 777klm (Reply 31):

Ah, cool, makes sense. My confusion was coming from the majority of my QF flights being on Dash 8s (without an on-board entertainment system) where they are generally overzealous about people having the cancellation turned off on personal headsets  
Qantas - The Spirit of Australia.

Mir

Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:07 pm

They can be removed quickly, and if caught on something, they will not hinder you.

I would say the opposite. Headphones can just be slapped off, whereas earphones have to be removed from each ear individually.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Pelle
Topic Author

Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:09 pm

Quoting contrails15 (Reply 24):

Yes, at least on all the the flights with IFE that I've been on. As mentioned earlier in this thread, any video/etc you are watching will be paused with the text "Passenger announcement" or equivalent.

@longhauler: Yes, announcements came over the PA as well as the IFE.

lightsaber
Crew

Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:27 pm

This again gets into electronics have to be PROVEN to be safe. It isn't a question of 'who has the noise cancellation killed,' it is spending the money to prove it doesn't increase risk. Some IFE vendor probably paid to certify with earbuds. This would be electronic noise, aircraft power drain (with circuit breakers)

In Canada, both Westjet and Air Canada state that only ear-bud style earphones connected into the aircraft's entertainment system can be used during take-off and landing and taxi. The part about the aircraft system is important and relates to hearing messages from the crew in event of emergency.

That is the best point. Stand up and run with your earbuds or Bose connected to the seat. Earbuds might be painful when tugged on, but they will come out. Bose headphones?    Which is a significant trip hazard in the isle? I suspect the later might also weight into the decision.

Quoting falkerker (Reply 21):
remember stupid people are everywhere and this measures are meant to be foolproof

I bet the qualification was mostly by simulation.

Quoting 2175301 (Reply 29):
Thus, I use over the ear headphones. I can hear all the announcements through them as well.

How can the F/A know your sets do that while I know of others that don't? The amount of training would be too expensive to be worth the exception.

This rule makes sense to. I would instead be glad they are working on gate to gate IFE. It keeps the other passengers sedated.   

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

longhauler

Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:03 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 26):
Quoting Mir (Reply 34):
I would say the opposite. Headphones can just be slapped off, whereas earphones have to be removed from each ear individually.

The issue is not with the Noise Cancelling part, but with the wire layout, and quick removal. Ear-bud headsets can be quickly (albeit painfully) removed from your head, as there are no wires or bayonets behind or over your head.

Mir

Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:08 pm

Quoting longhauler (Reply 37):
Ear-bud headsets can be quickly (albeit painfully) removed from your head

As can regular headphones, except that they require one motion instead of two.

-Mir

longhauler

Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:16 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 38):
As can regular headphones, except that they require one motion instead of two.

Again, not if there is a bayonet over your head, or wires behind your neck. Or worse, if you are turning while leaving your seat in an evacuation, then you will get twisted in the wiring, as the seat attachment is below you, and the wiring is above or behind you.

Be design, the ear-bud headset wiring is only below your head, and in front of your head as is the seat attachment.

This was the reason for Transport Canada to set the rules as they have. And ... it was the advent of the ear-bud headset that allowed the use below 10,000' in the first place. (granted, it took them over 5 years to even allow that!)

Mir

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:06 pm

Quoting longhauler (Reply 39):
Again, not if there is a bayonet over your head, or wires behind your neck.

Wires behind your neck I can see, but that's not going to be the case with regular (not behind the head) headphones. There, we'll just have to disagree - I can get those off faster than I could get earphones off, and they'll come off of their own accord just as easily.

-Mir

longhauler

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:16 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 40):
There, we'll just have to disagree

Oh I don't disagree, these are just the rules, and they must be followed.

As I stated above, I don't doubt the average person can get out of his noise canceling headset in an emergency, but aviation safety is all about "what if". And the "what if" here is for the non-average person. The same person that needs instruction on how to unlatch a seat belt in an emergency.

aircanada014

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:20 pm

You can still hear announcement on your headset as well

OB1504

Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:17 am

In the debate versus in-ear and over-the-ear headphones, I think we're missing the larger point that, regardless, they must be plugged into the aircraft's IFE in order to enable the passenger to hear crew announcements. The way I understand it, either type is still inadmissible if connected to a personal iPhone.

(of course, with airlines now switching to iPads for IFE...)

Randbca

Re: Only Earbud-style Headphones Allowed

Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:59 pm

The funny thing here everone talks about is in case of emergency you will be able to hear them thats only if you understand english of french in canada as for getting caught up on things thats so BS people would just rip them off in an emergency just another control thing, it should be my choice if i want to listen to the bs during anoucements and all the french language i could care less thats my 2c worth

inflightVideo

Re: RE: Only Earbud-style Headphones Allowed

Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:11 pm

longhauler wrote:
The issue is not with the Noise Cancelling part, but with the wire layout, and quick removal. Ear-bud headsets can be quickly (albeit painfully) removed from your head, as there are no wires or bayonets behind or over your head.

So can noise cancelling headphones. At least my Bose ones. They connect at the headset end as well as the device end, and if you stand up suddenly or it snags, it disconnects the headset end, without even having to pull it yourself.

cpd

Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:28 pm

alevik wrote:

Many over ear headphones have plugin cables will pull out immediately if snagged on anything. That's the way with my Bose ones.

I don't believe any electronic devices should be used during takeoff, landing and taxi. Even in ear type headphones.

retaliashun

Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:19 pm

longhauler wrote:

You've obviously never had a pair of ear buds ripped out of your ears. I don't see a difference in a 6 foot cable for ear buds vs. a 6 foot cable for ear muffs. When I use my ear buds, I hear nothing of the outside world, and during taxi/takeoff/landing I'm using them with my own PED instead of IFE.

zkncj

Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:52 am

tonystan wrote:

How very 90s still not to be allowed Gate2Gate AVOD, must have been around 2004 when NZ got the ok for Gate2Gate and allow overhead headphones to be used.

The only restriction on NZ now is during take off / landing you need to use the headphone jack in the arm rest, rather than the headphone jack in the screen.

aviationaware

Re: Only Earbud-style Headphones Allowed

Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:04 am

I always wear full headphones plugged into my iPhone during t/o and landing - never had an FA reprimand me for that.