Sandgroper
Topic Author

Drunk Granny Forces Back NZ Flight Costs QF $20K

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:18 am

There is a lot to be said about letting a Granny loose with duty free alcohol...

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...light/story-e6frfku0-1226383838213
Sandgroper

TheCommodore

RE: Drunk Granny Forces Back NZ Flight Costs QF $20K

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:29 am

Throw the book at the selfish woman  http://www.theage.com.au/travel/trav...-aboard-flight-20120604-1zrq2.html

The inconvenience to the airline and other passengers is outrageous. If i were the judge I'd make her pay for all costs involved. Starting with the $19,760 to Qantas for having to turn around the jet mid way, and any passenger lost expenses.
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

aeroblogger

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:32 am

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 1):
If i were the judge I'd make her pay for all costs involved. Starting with the $19,760 to Qantas for having to turn around the jet mid way, and any passenger lost expenses.

And medical costs for the guy she punched in the face!
Airports 2012: IXE HYD DEL BLR BOM CCU KNU KTM BKK SIN ICN LAX BUR SFO PHX IAH ORD EWR PHL PVD BOS FRA MUC IST

RWA380

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:53 am

Is it just the USA that restricts how much liquid you can take onboard an aircraft? Or since the liquid is purchased beyond security checks it's then limited to the arriving countries import laws?
Next Flights: PDX-HNL-OGG-LIH-PDX On AS, WP & HA

PanHAM

Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:04 am

In most countries you can buy as much as you like, how you get the pruchase past customs is your own business. Regulations however say that you are not allowed to consume anything before having arrived and cleared customs.
powered by Eierlikör

sweair

Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:14 am

I have noticed that some drink a lot before boarding, maybe to take the edge off their flying nerves? I have seen people drinking beer at 6.30am at Arlanda..I hardly had breakfast by then..

NZ107

Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:23 am

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 4):
In most countries you can buy as much as you like, how you get the pruchase past customs is your own business. Regulations however say that you are not allowed to consume anything before having arrived and cleared customs.

And with that point, New Zealand has one of the most lenient allowances - max 3x 1.125L bottles of spirits AND 4.5L of wine/beer. So theoretically she could have had a lot with her.
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

sweair

Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:33 am

I never drink alcohol on long haul, it will make the jet lag worse, dehydration gets worse. Cabin air is very dry and alcohol makes its even worse for the body.

Sandgroper
Topic Author

Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:39 am

They do report she had a drinking problem but violent as well really shows how this problem gets you in trouble, most of us fall asleep or are happy drunks and try and get another free drink

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 6):
And with that point, New Zealand has one of the most lenient allowances - max 3x 1.125L bottles of spirits AND 4.5L of wine/beer. So theoretically she could have had a lot with her.

And ready for a boxing match, gee she must have been tanked!

[Edited 2012-06-04 03:41:02]
Sandgroper

EmperortimSJO

Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:20 pm

I like how the "granny" is 58 I only opened the link because I thought she was at least in her 80's the author got me...

DocLightning

Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:49 pm

Quoting sweair (Reply 5):
I have seen people drinking beer at 6.30am at Arlanda..I hardly had breakfast by then..

Your point? Are you saying that they should be having mimosas instead at that hour?   I agree; I've been on a few early morning flights and I've always scratched my head at the fact that they serve beer/wine/booze on a 45 minute hop from, say, SFO to SBA at 0630. I've scratched my head even harder when my neighbor ordered some.

While I don't believe in charging passengers for medical diversions, I think it absolutely makes sense to charge passengers for behavioral diversions.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

longhauler

Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:09 pm

I have seen people drinking beer at 6.30am at Arlanda..I hardly had breakfast by then..

After having just arrived from LAX (for example)? It is before midnight, their time.

I have done that. Arrived from overseas, grabbed a quick beer on my way to a connection.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

kdhurst380

Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:15 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 10):

As far as air travel goes, somebodies 6am is somebody else's 6pm, my mother works nights and will often come home and have a glass of wine before going to sleep for the day, just as many would do in the evening.

That said, I have had a few beers first thing when in the 'holiday spirit', and when flying J, champagne is a must whatever the hour!

sweair

Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:59 pm

Well I meant the morning flight from Stockholm to say Spain, it leaves at 7.15 am. People, often golfers, drink beer before take off. IMO beer wouldn't even taste good that early in the morning? I often take that flight to visit family in Spain. I rather have a cerveza in the Spanish sun  

fn1001

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:34 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 4):
... Regulations however say that you are not allowed to consume anything before having arrived and cleared customs.

Sorry for being offtopic, but this must be corrected.

The customs code of the destination does not apply for the area before you cross the customs border (usually where you find the custom agents asking if you have something to declare), meaning that in the air (int'l airspace), you can drink from you duty-free booze as much as the safety regulations of the airline allow.

Maybe you got in HAM in a shop a sealed bag with the receipt inside, this you need when you change the plane in an EU country to get permission to have more than 100ml liquids as carry-on. Nothing with custom clearance. A sad story from me about this, Some years ago I bought in IAD some bottles as presents for my friends home (about $600) and had to change the plane in VIE. Before boarding in VIE I was told that my carry-on liquids can not exceed 100 ml if they are not bought in a duty-free shop in the EU, so all my nice bottles went in the trashcan.
Mai bine să-ţi fie rău decît să-ţi pară rău.

rolfen

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:44 pm

Granny + Alcohol and usually there is no end to the drunkenness. But usually they don't end up punching people in the nose.
rolf

ghifty

Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:06 pm

I have noticed that some drink a lot before boarding, maybe to take the edge off their flying nerves? I have seen people drinking beer at 6.30am at Arlanda..I hardly had breakfast by then..

What about time zone differences? If they were from LA, it'd be late for them as far as "body clocks" go.
Fly Delta Jets

lightsaber
Crew

Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:24 am

Throw the book at the selfish woman

Until I read about the assault, I thought this would be a funny thread. I have no patience for that behavior. I give zero excuse to alcohol damage. She did it, so she should pay for it.

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 2):
And medical costs for the guy she punched in the face!

I have noticed that some drink a lot before boarding, maybe to take the edge off their flying nerves?

Quite a few people need to drink before flying. Some due to the fear of flying, for some its just alcoholism run amok. I've sat next to too many alcoholic salesmen on aircraft though...

Quoting rolfen (Reply 15):
Granny + Alcohol and usually there is no end to the drunkenness. But usually they don't end up punching people in the nose.

Usually its at worst a little sad; this was just wrong.

Quoting kdhurst380 (Reply 12):
I have had a few beers first thing when in the 'holiday spirit'

Nothing wrong with one or two beers before a flight, if you can handle it. It is for other people to determine how well each of us handles alcohol.   

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

AirIndia

Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:46 am

Quoting kdhurst380 (Reply 12):
That said, I have had a few beers first thing when in the 'holiday spirit',

Well I was on my way to catch LAX-SFO and before checking out i figured i did not use the complimentary drink coupons hotel gives. So on my way out to the taxi grabbed 2 Coronas and drank my way to the airport. It was 7AM  

strangr

Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:57 am

The inconvenience to the airline and other passengers is outrageous. If i were the judge I'd make her pay for all costs involved. Starting with the $19,760 to Qantas for having to turn around the jet mid way, and any passenger lost expenses.

I would think that airlines would have some sort of Insurance for this. However yes the passenger should pay some penalty to Qantas, Unfortunately she will most likely be fined by the AFP and this fine will go into general government coffers.

Quoting FN1001 (Reply 14):
you can drink from you duty-free booze as much as the safety regulations of the airline allow.

Like I did in 2004 when flying from LAX to Sydney the two guys next to me purchased 3 ltrs of vodka between them, I told them they would pay tax in Australia on the 3rd litre, Some how the 3rd Litre went missing over the next 18 hours, along with a lot of various flavoured fizzy drinks.   

Quoting longhauler (Reply 11):
I have done that. Arrived from overseas, grabbed a quick beer on my way to a connection.

Nothing funnier then seeing the Melbourne airport bar full at 7am serving beers as all the international flights arrive. whats wrong with a beer and bacon and eggs on toast.   

weebie

Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:15 am

The granny has been ordered to pay qantas $18,750. just announced 5 mins ago.

weebie

Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:20 am

she also had a similar incident earlier this year on a virgin flight.

strangr

Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:21 am

Quoting weebie (Reply 20):

The granny has been ordered to pay qantas $18,750. just announced 5 mins ago.

got a source, can not see it on the news sites.

Quokkas

Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:38 am

Quoting FN1001 (Reply 14):
you can drink from you duty-free booze as much as the safety regulations of the airline allow.

Qantas Conditions of Carriage make it clear that you are not permitted to consume alcohol purchased in the duty-free shops aboard Qantas aircraft and outlines what is acceptable in terms of drinking:

Quote:
"if you drink alcohol, drink only in moderation and only alcohol served on your flight with us as part of our inflight bar service" (Emphasis added.)
Quoting strangr (Reply 19):
Unfortunately she will most likely be fined

While any fine imposed will go into Consolidated Revenue, Qantas may seek restitution for costs, which may be awarded by the courts. Again this is stated in the Conditions that everybody reads before purchasing their ticket :

Quote:

"If we divert the aircraft to an unscheduled destination as a result of your failure to comply with the requirements set out in these Conditions of Carriage or your conduct described in 11.2, you must pay us the reasonable costs of the diversion."

I am not sure how Qantas' insurance would work in this instance. Is it not a clause in any policy that one seeks to recover what costs one can before claiming insurance? Would the insurance company simply cough up or would they expect Qantas to seek to recover the costs and only pay in the event of Qantas being unable to?
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

PanHAM

Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:07 am

Quoting Quokkas (Reply 23):
Qantas Conditions of Carriage make it clear that you are not permitted to consume alcohol purchased in the duty-free shops aboard Qantas aircraft and outlines what is acceptable in terms of drinking:

which is what most other airlines have as well. People are not supposed to open duty free items in the country where purchased, not during flight and that leaves little (legal) opportunity to consume the stuff before passing customs at destination.

The liquids security regulations where security eventually takes stuff from transit passengers are an exception and that booze is destroyed, usually under customs upervision if collected in transit.

Quoting Quokkas (Reply 23):
I am not sure how Qantas' insurance would work in this instance.

...and if, they would get a title collecting the money plus costs from the "granny" or whoever else caused the damage.