BW424
Topic Author

The Valley - Caribbean Aviation Thread 99

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:13 am

Greetings to all A.net patrons!

Welcome to the 99th instalment of the Caribbean Aviation Thread. This 99th edition will put the spotlight on the tiny picturesque British Overseas territory of Anguilla.

Tucked away in the Eastern Caribbean, Anguilla is the most northern island in the Leeward Island chain, less than 10 NM north of St. Martin and 200 NM east of Puerto Rico, two of Anguilla's major gateways. Approximately 16 miles from its most eastern point to its most western point and 3 NM at its widest point, Anguilla is flat, low-lying and comprised of coral and limestone, covered mostly with rock, sparse scrub oak, few trees and some salt ponds. One main road runs through the center of the island, making Anguilla easy to traverse by car in less than 1/2 an hour.

Anguilla was first settled by Amerindian tribes who migrated from South America. The earliest Amerindian artifacts found on Anguilla have been dated to around 1300 BC, and remains of settlements date from 600 AD. The date of European discovery is uncertain: some sources claim that Columbus sighted the island in 1493, while others state that the island was first discovered by the French in 1564 or 1565.

In 1650, English settlers arrived and colonized Anguilla. They established plantations where corn and tobacco were grown. The settlement survived for six years until Indians from a neighboring island came and destroyed it.
In 1666, the French temporarily took over the island for a brief period of time. However, it was returned to Britain the following year under the Treaty of Breda.

In 1958, St. Kitts, Nevis, and Anguilla became part of the Federation of the West Indies. This Federation collapsed in 1962 and as a result most of the islands developed individual constitutions. St. Kitts, Nevis, and Anguilla together were made an associated statehood — a political decision that sparked the Anguilla Revolution because Anguilla desired its independence from the state. May 30, 1967 is celebrated annually as Anguilla Day, commemorating the repulsion of the Royal St. Kitts Police Force from the island. Britain intervened and a peacekeeping committee was established. Debates over Anguilla’s secession continued to be negotiated for over a decade, and on December 19, 1980, Anguilla became a separate Dependent Territory with some measure of autonomy in government.

Shoal Bay, Anguilla

Viceroy, Anguilla

The Clayton J. Lloyd International Airport (IATA: AXA, ICAO: TQPF) (formerly known as the Anguilla Wallblake Airport) is the island's international airport located very close to The Valley, the island's capital. It has a small terminal with no jetways and is the only airport in Anguilla. The airport became known as the "Clayton J. Lloyd International Airport" on July 4, 2010.

LI climbing out of AXA

AXA seems like corporate jet paradise with many high rollers making the island their choice for high-end secluded vacations.

*****News Feed*****
CAL receives route rights to PTY from Panamanian President Ricardo Martinelli
CAL appoints Clive Forbes as new Jamaica hub general manager
DAE to start daily CUR-MIA June 1 with MD-83
Rumour mill hints at LI acquiring Dash 8 Q-400s that will eventually comprise a Q300/400 mix
PY celebrates its 50th anniversary of operation with small decal applied to PY B733 (PZ-TCO)
CAL unable to receive two dry-leased B763s as a result of ongoing audit of the TTCAA by the FAA
CAL to wet-lease Omni Air International B763 to inaugurate 2x weekly POS-LGW service
9Y-BGI of CAL completes C-check, has JM logo removed. 9Y-JMA might be repainted/sticker-ed
KX to codeshare with CM on NEW GCM-PTY route
Guyana gives approval to EZjet to operate a 2x weekly GEO-YYZ chartered service
AA reduces MIA-UVF from daily to 4x weekly come August 21, 2012
90 Jamaican maintenance personnel made redundant as CAL consolidates its operations
CAL to introduce ATR on the POS-SLU route

As always, happy posting!

It is what we think we know already that prevents us from learning.......

817Dreamliiner

RE: The Valley - Caribbean Aviation Thread 99

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:24 am

Quoting BW424 (Thread starter):
CAL receives route rights to PTY from Panamanian President Ricardo Martinelli

Interesting, I dont remember seeing this mentioned. Good for CAL   . Any rumors of start dates?
Please let me know... If you know this is the end of the world, Let me know... If you know the truth...

BW424
Topic Author

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:33 am

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 1):
Interesting, I dont remember seeing this mentioned. Good for CAL   . Any rumors of start dates?

Just normal political hot air. PTY's president was in POS for the Cairbbean Investment Forum.

http://www.guardian.co.tt/business/2...4/panama-president-cal-come-fly-us

Don't expect it to go anywhere. I certainly hope it doesn't. POS-PTY is already well served by CM.

817Dreamliiner

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:39 am

Quoting BW424 (Reply 2):
Just normal political hot air. PTY's president was in POS for the Cairbbean Investment Forum.

http://www.guardian.co.tt/business/2...4/panama-president-cal-come-fly-us

Don't expect it to go anywhere. I certainly hope it doesn't. POS-PTY is already well served by CM.

I see, just got high hopes for something positive with CAL, o well.
Please let me know... If you know this is the end of the world, Let me know... If you know the truth...

yellowtail

Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:30 pm

Truly as of right now there is not enough traffic for both CAL and CM on POS-PTY. The route needs to grow a bit more before it can support daily flights from both carriers....and all things being equal I think it better that CM is on it which provides more connections.

If CAL had E-jets, then I could maybe see it working, but putting a 738 in addition to CM is just overkill.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

baje427

Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:35 pm

I agree furthermore CAL needs to get its house in order right now rather than starting new routes does anyone have any word on the satus of the auudit of the T&T Civil aviation?

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 4):

A388

Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:57 pm

Thanks for starting up the thread BW424, as always it is very much appreciated my friend. I'm guessing that the next thread will need to be a special one as it will be our 100th Caribbean thread!!! As the threads are about the Caribbean aviation I want to suggest that the 100th thread puts the focus on the history of the aviation in the Caribbean over the past 100 years, instead of focussing on a single island as is customery. This would mean an overview of major developments, key turning points between 1912 and 2012. For example, KLM had the first flight to Curacao in the 1920's with their Fokker called the "Snip". This was the first transatlantic flight to the Caribbean if memory serves me well. I know this task probably is asking for too much but this is just my idea for our 100th thread.

In any case, thanks again for starting this thread   

A388

2travel2know2

Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:56 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 4):
If CAL had E-jets, then I could maybe see it working, but putting a 738 in addition to CM is just overkill.

And pretty sure BW isn't in the mood to fly B737-800 POS-PTY-XXX.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

lucianflyboy

Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:28 pm

'AA reduces MIA-UVF from daily to 4x weekly come August 21, 2012'

Meanwhile, I heard about this, saw the flights gone in SABRE then as quick as it was there, the flights are back operating daily. Did I miss something here?

2travel2know2

Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:51 pm

Airlines from the Caribbean arrive in PTY From www.prensa.com - in Spanish
La Prensa today features the news that Cayman Airways started flights to PTY and that Caribbean Airlines completed its permits to operate in PTY (!).
If Caribbean isn't interested in PTY, why submit permits to flight to PTY?
I'm not on CM's payroll.

andrefranca

Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:19 pm

Thanks for the new thread BW424, guys Anguilla is great, pricy but recomended for a daytour or more!

guyanam

Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:18 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 10):

You have really travelled the Caribbean. Is there any country you have yet to visit. And what should Caribbean countries do to attract more Brazilians. Its clear we cant continue to depend just on North America and Europe as those markets are now quite mature and offer limited opportunities for growth.

yellowtail

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:22 pm

Hey Andrefranca.....looks like you do love the Caribbean. When are you going to make it to Belize   

2travel2know2

Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:05 am

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 12):
Hey Andrefranca.....looks like you do love the Caribbean. When are you going to make it to Belize

He surely is eagerly awaiting for CM MAO-PTY-BZE ?
I'm not on CM's payroll.

andrefranca

Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:02 am

Quoting guyanam (Reply 11):

Right I love the caribbean, it's a really pretty place, though some islands are rip off LOL, but I don't blame them, they need it... well I have not visited caymans (but gota my KX flight booked) , belize islands also booked with tropic air... probably after I have saved the money I want I'll make it to grenada, montserrat, we'll see.

Well the first thing is the language barrier, the younger generations are able to speak english, but still most of brazilians can only portuguese, some of them are able to understand spanish but they answer in portuguese, (Panamenians in PTY struggle with that LOL ) so I think CUR and AUA are doing good! they make a lot of adds here in portuguese and videos, commercials etc... that's the why AUA and CUR are still the most popular caribbean islands for us i think, SXM is on the way due to high number of cruise ships.

secondly is the lack of flights, only G3 and CM got a few... JJ the "national carrier" so as they call themselves, only see the US and europe.... I pray and hope that CM keep up with its fair fares and add more islands to their bases.

The only island I don't know if I'll ever come back is BGI after the immigration/customs nightmare which led for my removal from the country I still feel hurt and don't know if i'll have the guts to return. Even the daughter of a tourism minister invited me to give a try while I was in POS but I don't know  
Quoting yellowtail (Reply 12):

I sent you an e-mail, just need to wait the visa issues LOL.

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 13):

Although I have already 4 flights with CM for january 2013, to BZE i'm suporting the locals LOL so I'll be flying tropic air.

turk223

Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:25 am

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 14):
The only island I don't know if I'll ever come back is BGI after the immigration/customs nightmare which led for my removal from the country I still feel hurt and don't know if i'll have the guts to return.

It really makes me feel ashamed to read that you were trreated so poorly by our immigration officers... I can only hope that this is an exception and not the rule.

As a Bajan, I hope that you can look beyond one bad experience and return to our country and see us for who I feel we really are!*

*a hospitable nation that relishes having visitors with whom to share our beautiful island!

LimaFoxTango

Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:28 am

From the rumour mill again, it seems REDjet has finally accepted defeat and officially closed its doors. Termination letters were apparently handed out to whoever was left there yesterday. Still awaiting confirmation on this.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

beeweel15

Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:32 am

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 16):
From the rumour mill again, it seems REDjet has finally accepted defeat and officially closed its doors. Termination letters were apparently handed out to whoever was left there yesterday. Still awaiting confirmation on this.

Thats bad wish they would come back. hope this does not discourage people from investing and doing business in the region especially after all the positive talk from the Caribbean Investment conference held here in NYC

817Dreamliiner

Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:18 am

Im gonna be in Montserrat during the summer for how long im not sure yet, but ill be there  let me know when you decide on coming. I recommend during Christmas for this year especially as we are celebrating our 50th anniversary of our festival and its supposed to be a really big celebration and ill recommend booking around now because travelling is pretty hectic during that period (especially when you only have 7 seater aircraft!). I have a poster but im not sure if ill be breaking the rules by posting it, so I wont.

Im sure we all saw this coming at some point, but still a rumor.

baje427

Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:57 am

Here is the link to the sort of confirmation

http://www.nationnews.com/articles/view/looks-like-end-for-redjet/

baje427

Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:04 pm

I remember your story from previous threads well hopefully if you do decide to try again it goes smoother have you any word on the G3 flights to BGI?

The only island I don't know if I'll ever come back is BGI after the immigration/customs nightmare which led for my removal from the country I still feel hurt and don't know if i'll have the guts to return. Even the daughter of a tourism minister invited me to give a try while I was in POS but I don't know

yellowtail

Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:52 pm

I sent you an e-mail, just need to wait the visa issues LOL.

I replied.

Although I have already 4 flights with CM for january 2013, to BZE i'm suporting the locals LOL so I'll be flying tropic air.

And I am sure they appreciate your business. But if CM were to serve BZE, I am sure they would not mind you supporting CM...a rising tide floats all boats.

Way things are going pretty sure you will be able to do RTB/LCE/SAP - BZE - FRS/CUN/MID/GUA sooner than later. Hopefully PM will be able to get its hands on a twin as that BZE-CUN/MID segment will be 1:24 in a 208! Although they are very new 208s.   I have done SAP-BZE and its 54 min right up the Belize Barrier reef. A spectacular view on a sunny day.

A388

Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:10 pm

Looks like two new airlines are being formed in the Caribbean: Freedom Air and Air Ayiti. The topic is being discussed in below thread:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...eneral_aviation/read.main/5484835/

Freedom Air seems to be established by a group of ex-TX employees and they want to use the 737-500 while Air Ayiti is from Haiti but I don't know which aircraft they want to use.

All the best to both of them!!!

A388

westindian425

Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:32 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 6):
As the threads are about the Caribbean aviation I want to suggest that the 100th thread puts the focus on the history of the aviation in the Caribbean over the past 100 years, instead of focussing on a single island as is customery. This would mean an overview of major developments, key turning points between 1912 and 2012. For example, KLM had the first flight to Curacao in the 1920's with their Fokker called the "Snip". This was the first transatlantic flight to the Caribbean if memory serves me well. I know this task probably is asking for too much but this is just my idea for our 100th thread.

I like this idea!

This really hurt me to hear...
God did not create aircraft pilots to be on the ground

817Dreamliiner

Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:04 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 22):
Looks like two new airlines are being formed in the Caribbean: Freedom Air and Air Ayiti. The topic is being discussed in below thread:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...eneral_aviation/read.main/5484835/

Freedom Air seems to be established by a group of ex-TX employees and they want to use the 737-500 while Air Ayiti is from Haiti but I don't know which aircraft they want to use.

All the best to both of them!!!

Great to see new airlines in the Caribbean! I really hope they do well when they begin ops.

andrefranca

Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:53 pm

Quoting turk223 (Reply 15):
As a Bajan, I hope that you can look beyond one bad experience and return to our country and see us for who I feel we really are!*

I always wanted because I know BGI has a lot of things to offer, but officials, mainly the ones who work with visitors and alike, MUST be well trained, they first accused me of smuggling, after they searched, x-rayed, frisk serached, sniffed etc.. etc... DID EVERYTHING and saw I was OK, still they said they were offended on the grounds of my arguing!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the same old school, "If arriving from Jamaica or Guyana, blame him, press him, accuse him and arrest him".....

Quoting baje427 (Reply 20):
I remember your story from previous threads well hopefully if you do decide to try again it goes smoother have you any word on the G3 flights to BGI?

Maybe in a few years.... because even if I want to.... due to the size and importance of my family in the region (not wanting to be arrogant or wannabe), I became "the poor little manaus boy who was bullied in Barbados" it was also published on (BIG) travel pages for brazilians etc... etc... my lawyers here made a huge noise about it, brazilian immigration officials etc... I also received a call from a local newspaper wanting to know if I was "finger raped" because they saw somewhere a jamaican women was lawsuiting BGI because she was "finger raped" by the officer, they wanted to know if she was hiding something on her "apparatus" very sayd, but I saw what they can do, so no doubts about it.

[Edited 2012-06-08 11:59:27]

baje427

Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:26 pm

While not condoning their behavious if its one thing I have learned while travelling never argue with immigration/customs it get you no where well there are several other islands out there to enjoy its nice to hear you enjoyed

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 25):

guyanam

Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:14 pm

Quoting baje427 (Reply 26):

While that is true Bajan customs officials need to be told that many tourists other than WHITE Europeans and North Americans provide good business opportunities for Bdos. And Brazil, with 200million people will very soon becomke as important a market for the Caribbean as Canada currently is. Maybe even more so

LimaFoxTango

Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:03 pm

REDjet goes bust

BRIDGETOWN, June 8, CMC – A day after dismissing its 94 workers, the Barbadian flag carrier REDjet announced on Friday it was insolvent and had “no future in Barbados”, claiming its host government had failed deliver on promised support, the company said in a statement here.

“Airone Ventures Limited doing business as ‘REDjet’ hereby announces the suspension of all operations in Barbados. REDjet profoundly regrets this decision and its impact on its suppliers, staff and passengers,” the year-old carrier said.

The airline had reportedly been lobbying the Barbadian and Guyanese governments for financial backing to return to the skies.

The company said it has filed a "Notice of Intention to Make a Proposal" to its creditors with the Supervisor of Insolvency under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act that puts itself in the hands of a trustee, blocking any legal proceedings to reclaim debts for at least 30 days.

“Immediately upon filing all proceedings against the company are stayed. No creditor may therefore exercise any remedy against the company, while the stay is in place, in respect of any debt owing as of 5th June 2012,” the company said.

The airline said it believed it had secured Barbados’s “full aero-political support” and that “this “turn of events could have been avoided” if it had gained access to all markets as the island’s designated national carrier.

“However regrettably this has not been the experience of the airline over the past two years.

“With no consensus at a political or technical level to deliver on these commitments which are critical to the development of any airline there can be no future for REDjet in Barbados,” the company.

“Therefore, despite the best efforts of the airline and its committed staff, the airline has been forced to make the regrettable decision to suspend all its operations.”

The airline had promised to reimburse ticket holders within three weeks of applying for a refund in writing but three months later, several would-be travellers said they had not been repaid.

But the airline said on Friday that “the trustee will at the appropriate time invite creditors of amounts of 250 dollars and more, including passengers who have purchased tickets with the airline but who have yet to apply for a refund, to prove their debts as required by the Act and also call a meeting of creditors for the purpose of considering and approving the company’s proposal.”

The stay of proceedings does not apply to debts owed for services rendered the company after Friday’s filing date, the company said, adding that these debts “will be dealt with in the ordinary way.

“The stay will be in place for 30 days initially but the Court will entertain reasonable applications for extension of the stay to permit a proposal to creditors to be completed.”

Billed as a low-cost, no-frills carrier initially offering fares as low as 9.99 US dollars, REDjet quickly became the toast of Caribbean travellers with flights to Guyana, Trinidad and Tobago and Jamaica and a raft of agreements to fly to other regional destinations.

But the airline abruptly suspended its flights on March 16. It then lost its air operator’s certificate with Trinidadian civil aviation authorities and its Barbados licence.

The company appears to have failed in its bid to get regional governments to put money into the cash-strapped airline.

On Wednesday, Antigua and Barbuda’s Prime Minister Baldwin Spencer, whose government co-owns rival carrier LIAT with Barbados and St Vincent and the Grenadines, said St John’s had refused to come to REDjet’s aid, saying its discount business model was “unsustainable” and “doomed to failure”.

“The whole question of lending a hand, I don’t think that question arises at all because we always felt that the [low-fare] concept that they put forward was clearly untenable,” Spencer told Antigua’s Observer Radio on Wednesday.

On May 8, Geoffrey O’Byrne White, a former chief executive of the Irish regional airline CityJet, replaced founding CEO Ian Burns in managing the airline’s day-to-day operations.

In announcing its suspension of flights in March, the privately owned airline suggested that it was expecting “state assistance” to continue operations and blamed "subsidised" competitors for its troubles.

“REDjet is hopeful that we will be given a small part of the State assistance others receive, as it will allow us to get our recently approved and exciting new routes established and profitable. Once this happens, our shareholders and staff will do their utmost to see that there is no return to high fares and business as usual,” the company said then.

Incorporated in Barbados as Airone Holdings Ltd by father-and-son Irish entrepreneurs Robbie and Ian Burns, REDjet took to the air with MD-80 series jet aircraft on a regularly scheduled service between Barbados and Guyana in May 2011.

But by November, its largest Barbadian shareholder, Barbadian industrialist Ralph “Bizzy” Williams, said the airline needed an injection of four million US dollars to stay in the air.

Williams and Burns blamed the governments of Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago and Jamaica for delaying approvals and licences in flying to each other’s destinations, claiming a breach of a regional ‘open-skies’ policy. The two said the delays cost the airline millions of dollars of start-up capital.

On May 8, as White replaced Burns at the helm of the airline, the Daily Nation newspaper reported that Williams had “quietly departed” the board of directors.

Just weeks before the suspension, REDjet announced it had begun flying to St Lucia. It also operated a regular service to Trinidad and Jamaica and had announced it was to begin flights to St Maarten in May.

The regional aviation industry retains heavy government ownership, control and direction, with Trinidad and Tobago’s Caribbean Airlines/Air Jamaica and LIAT often in the grips of labour disputes, heavy losses, cash bailouts and customer dissatisfaction.

But since REDjet’s arrival the two island-hopping carriers stepped up competition in pricing and scheduling.

“We have seen other carriers drastically cut their fares in an effort to shut down REDjet and return to high fares and business as usual with no regard to the negative impact on travellers. Unlike us, they do not have to be profitable to stay in business,” REDjet said.

“In spite of their subsidised efforts, our passenger numbers have continued to rise,” the airline added.

The airline’s supporters say the low-cost model would spur greater intra-regional travel and tourism and offer more options for traveller. Critics remain unconvinced that a low-cost business model can fly regional skies, already the graveyard of several similar upstart carriers over the last two decades.

REDjet has at once chided regional governments for their support of rivals and urged them to help. But so far, no regional governments have indicated they intend to bankroll the airline.

Apart from generating unprecedented press notice, REDjet’s entry into the aviation marketplace has already scored several coups in intra-regional travel beyond the low-cost model. It joined Caribbean Airlines in offering inter-island jet travel and made heavy use of social media marketing.

Within a week of launching in May, the airline’s Facebook page had already surpassed 16,000 supporters. It has introduced ticket sales through cellphone kiosks and began flying the West Indies cricket team during their home series with Pakistan and India.

http://www.nationnews.com/articles/view/redjet-goes-bust/

No surprise here really, I think we all predicted this one from the beginning. It does beg the question however, can air travel in the Caribbean ever be profitable? We have the "majors" LI, BW/JM, UP, KX and "minors" WM, EZjet probably even MQ all hemorrhaging money. Even the North American and European carriers operate down here mostly on subsidies. I do however acknowledge many airlines around the world aren't doing too well either, but there are others that are. Privatising these companies probably won't help as they will all coming begging for subsidies to stay alive a la REDjet eventually.

caribbean484

Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:26 pm

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 28):
can air travel in the Caribbean ever be profitable?

Air travel in the Caribbean can be profitable when:
1) There is an clear and concise policy on air travel and integration e.g. Open Skies, single CAA etc.
2) When the region diversifies its economies from service (Tourism) to innovative and competitive knowledge-intensive region with emphasis on infrastructure and export.
3) The airlines are run as a private venture a la, SQ, EK, QR etc.

The Caribbean unfortunately, at this time, lacks all of the above and the airlines are a reflection of the economic realities of the region on a whole. Until then the current airlines and others hoping to start will encounter significant challenges in air travel.
For instance, there is no real mass travel in this region for an airline like RD to survive on because of the situation stated above, with the arrogance we see in each island towards the other. Jamaicans are seen as a drug problem when they land in BGI, ANU or POS, or Guyanese do not leave when they come to another country.
Plus we have the situation that it is expensive to vacation in the territories.
All ah we is one family

yellowtail

Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:14 am

No surprise here really, I think we all predicted this one from the beginning. It does beg the question however, can air travel in the Caribbean ever be profitable? We have the "majors" LI, BW/JM, UP, KX and "minors" WM, EZjet probably even MQ all hemorrhaging money. Even the North American and European carriers operate down here mostly on subsidies. I do however acknowledge many airlines around the world aren't doing too well either, but there are others that are. Privatising these companies probably won't help as they will all coming begging for subsidies to stay alive a la REDjet eventually.

Well the "minors" would do well to look west to the operations of Tropic Air and Nature Air and apply some of their hard learned operation procedures.

Don't get me wrong, these airlines aren't minting money, but at least they are not bleeding.

BW424
Topic Author

Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:04 am

Quoting A388 (Reply 6):
Thanks for starting up the thread BW424, as always it is very much appreciated my friend. I'm guessing that the next thread will need to be a special one as it will be our 100th Caribbean thread!!! As the threads are about the Caribbean aviation I want to suggest that the 100th thread puts the focus on the history of the aviation in the Caribbean over the past 100 years, instead of focussing on a single island as is customery. This would mean an overview of major developments, key turning points between 1912 and 2012. For example, KLM had the first flight to Curacao in the 1920's with their Fokker called the "Snip". This was the first transatlantic flight to the Caribbean if memory serves me well. I know this task probably is asking for too much but this is just my idea for our 100th thread.

I very much agree with you! I believe everyone should have input in making the 100th thread special! Please do PM me links for pictures and history of CUR. If any other patrons will like to contribute, please feel free to PM me info and pics.

Quoting lucianflyboy (Reply 8):
Meanwhile, I heard about this, saw the flights gone in SABRE then as quick as it was there, the flights are back operating daily. Did I miss something here?

Interesting. I guess load factors are sufficient to revert to daily. Thanks for the heads up.

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 10):
Thanks for the new thread BW424, guys Anguilla is great, pricy but recomended for a daytour or more!

Dude, you really have travelled the Caribbean! Great to see! You certainly have put me to shame concerning the number of islands I've visited.

REDjet goes bust

Unfortunate to see them go, but their business model was always flawed from the beginning as we all know. I certainly wish it was a viable business model. That way, it not only creates jobs and enlarges the market, but it could have possibly jump-started the Caribbean legacy carriers in the region to get their houses in order once RD gained some traction. But like CAL with their now dreadfully politically influenced operation, it was doomed to collapse sooner or later.

[Edited 2012-06-09 00:11:14]

baje427

Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:15 pm

I noticed AA routed the 762 on the JFK-BGI route yesterday given the 3 class layout on those birds does BGI command the premium seats on a weekend? or did a 757 go tech?

b757lvr

Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:24 pm

Quoting lucianflyboy (Reply 8):

Hey 'gens mwen' let me know what you find out about that. Did they work something out with the new govt? The slu govt position seemed quite firm on the subsidy issue.

A388

Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:15 am

Some news from Curacao: Copa Airlines had its inaugural flight to Curacao today and I attended the ceremony. See one of my photos below:

The good stuff (meaning the aircraft itself) will follow as soon as it has been accepted in the database 

A388

BW424
Topic Author

Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:17 am

Hearing reports of LI's V2-LGH on fire at the moment @ TAPA in a hangar.

Anyone to confirm this?

westindian425

Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:48 am

What's this I'm hearing about the LIAT maintenance hangar is completely burned down? Someone confirm please.
God did not create aircraft pilots to be on the ground

caribbean484

Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:55 am

LIAT aircraft destroyed in hangar fire
Plumes of smoke filled the skies Sunday night as one of LIATs two hangers went up in flames, carrying with it one of its aircraft; the motor pool; operations office, and several other offices.
Firemen fought with heavy winds from about 9:40 pm to put out the flames but two hours later the blaze was still raging.
Reports reaching OBSERVER Media indicate no one was injured and neither was anyone in the hangar at the time of the first explosion.
A source said the hangar is not used on the weekend and the aircraft registration LGH was in the centre for a routine C check or engine check.
It is not yet clear how many flights have been affected.
http://www.antiguaobserver.com/?p=76590
All ah we is one family

LimaFoxTango

Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:02 am

I can confirm. I am at the scene at the moment and the Eastern hangar is practically completely destroyed. The roof has collapsed and the rest of the structure is totally engulfed in flames. LGH was also inside under C-Check and probably destroyed by now.

BW424
Topic Author

Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:45 am

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 38):
I can confirm. I am at the scene at the moment and the Eastern hangar is practically completely destroyed. The roof has collapsed and the rest of the structure is totally engulfed in flames. LGH was also inside under C-Check and probably destroyed by now.

Appreciate the confirmation LFT. WOW.....this is very very unfortunate for LI. Must be an extremely stressful atmosphere at LI at the moment. Thank God no one was injured or killed.

817Dreamliiner

Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:41 am

Quoting BW424 (Reply 35):
Hearing reports of LI's V2-LGH on fire at the moment @ TAPA in a hangar.

Anyone to confirm this?
Quoting BW424 (Reply 35):
What's this I'm hearing about the LIAT maintenance hangar is completely burned down? Someone confirm please.
Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 37):
Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 38):

Someone put this as a status on bbm and I came here to see if it was mentioned here yet. Thanks for the confirmation LimaFoxTango. I was a bit shocked when I first heard it, I mean another hanger fire within the last couple days and another aircraft destroyed (ATR at PRG on saturday)

baje427

Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:59 am

This really comes at a bad time for LI confirmed it is LGH one of LI oldest frames at 21 years old where will maintainence be done in the interim?

A388

Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:39 pm

This is sad news for LI and lucky indeed to no one got injured or killed. Is the cause of this fire known by now? Can foul play be ruled out (getting money from insurance companies because of this fire)? Does the hangar oblige to ICAO safety rules? Is the oversight by the aviation authorities good? Questions always pop up with (fire) incidents and I'm guessing that these questions are the first questions to be asked.

Also, what's the status on the Q400's?

A388

c680

Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:27 pm

Since the theme of this thread is Anguilla, a question:

Since American Eagle stopped operations to Anguilla (AXA) the island is down to Cape Air from San Juan, Trans Anguilla and a couple of daily LIAT flights.

Granted that SXM is a short ferry ride away, is there any chance of expanding commercial air service to AXA in the near future?

This is one of the few "countries" that I know of that probably serves more private air passengers than commercial!
My happy place is FL470 - what's yours?

baje427

Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:51 pm

I would not hold out my breath on those Q400 if they do get them I assume they wont be new build maybe the ex MA birds can be aquired. The ATR is better suited to LI ops unless they plan on reducing frequencies the Q400 seats 20 more pax and in some market the Q300 is too much aircraft.

Quoting A388 (Reply 42):

LimaFoxTango

Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Quoting baje427 (Reply 44):
The ATR is better suited to LI ops unless they plan on reducing frequencies the Q400 seats 20 more pax and in some market the Q300 is too much aircraft.

Don't be surprised if some or all of CAL's ATR's end up at LI from what I'm now hearing.

Quoting baje427 (Reply 41):
This really comes at a bad time for LI confirmed it is LGH one of LI oldest frames at 21 years old where will maintained be done in the interim?

LI still has a second hangar which is still intact and can be used to maintain aircraft in the interim, however i believe the capability to do C-Checks and other heavy maintenance is lost.

andrefranca

Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:32 pm

Quoting C680 (Reply 43):
Granted that SXM is a short ferry ride away, is there any chance of expanding commercial air service to AXA in the near future?

This is one of the few "countries" that I know of that probably serves more private air passengers than commercial!

While I was in Anguilla, people told me that the GOVT wants that way, they don't want Anguilla to become a "new" SXM or BGI, they want to keep low profile, and it's even forbidden to build high buildings and condos etc... etc... Tourism is a big thing for them, that's a fact, but they seem to fear mass tourism...

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 45):
Don't be surprised if some or all of CAL's ATR's end up at LI from what I'm now hearing.

I'd be shocked! do they have the "guts" to keep two types of acft? I imagine you might say they had few other types in the past, but I meant these days?

LI still has a second hangar which is still intact and can be used to maintain aircraft in the interim, however i believe the capability to do C-Checks and other heavy maintenance is lost.

Sad news!

Quoting A388 (Reply 34):
Some news from Curacao: Copa Airlines had its inaugural flight to Curacao today and I attended the ceremony.

Hopi bon!!!, now curaçoans have more destinations to explore! and the dutch passport helps a lot!

[Edited 2012-06-11 10:34:58]

guyanam

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:10 pm

Quoting C680 (Reply 43):

No likelihood of more airlift into AXA. Even their govt seems to promote SXM as its hub, given its excellent service to the US, Europe and the rest of the Caribbean. I am not even sure if the LIAT ops are profitable.

baje427

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:15 pm

Well that would be better than the Q400 as they are more suited to LI ops does CAL use the IFE on the ATR on CCS-POS route does anyone know?

BW424
Topic Author

Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:14 pm

What a very interesting statement...hmm

Must be devastating for the LI family. It will be very interesting to see what the investigation discovers.

Taken from FB. Credit - Nick Bert
Quoting C680 (Reply 43):

As other posters have mentioned, AXA have managed to carve out an extremely high premium niche that they seem bent on preserving.