jasp25
Topic Author

Philippine Airlines To Purchase Regional Carrier

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:01 am

Interesting, I wonder what airline they'll be purchasing.. I read somewhere this strategy is to enable PAL to circle around the category 2 restriction on Philippine-based carrier.

MANILA (Reuters) - Diversified conglomerate San Miguel Corp (SMC.PS) wants to expand its airline business via a regional acquisition and by growing its fleet as it seeks to reclaim the top position its unit Philippine Airlines (PAL.PS) lost to budget carrier rivals.

Source: http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/idUKBRE85D0PF20120614?irpc=932
-peace and chicken grease!

scbriml

RE: Philippine Airlines To Purchase Regional Carrier

Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:30 am

I thought I'd read recently that Philippines was close to getting Cat 1 again?

However, having visited in March and seen some examples of aircraft "maintenance" in progress, I think it may be a while yet.  Wow!
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

rfields5421

Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:55 pm

PAL has a regional low cost feeder.

Originally it was Air Philippines. About 3 years ago, that was folded and began operations as PAL Express with Dash 8s and now they are operating as AirPhil Express - with a mix of Dash 8s and A320s.

They don't need to acquire a regional carrier - they already operate one - and have orders in place for several new aircraft (A320) due in 2013.

Thomas_Jaeger

Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:47 pm

The way I interpret the articles I have read about this by regional he meant a foreign carrier outside the Philippines but in South East Asia. No ideas yet on who that could be as I doubt they would have the financial strength or management capabilities to buy a large carrier.
Swiss aviation news junkie living all over the place

jasp25
Topic Author

Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:14 pm

That's how I interpret too Thomas.. This is to acquire potential future assets and circumvent the FAA restrictions imposed on Philippines-based carrier. With a foreign operating carrier license they could then mount more flights to the US using a non-Filipino license.
-peace and chicken grease!