southwest737500
Topic Author

Charlotte Douglas International Airport Thread 1

Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:56 am

There is a rumor that US will be upgrading GIG route with a A332

If US merges with AA could we possibly see a BA flight from heathrow

What does everyone think US European network will look after a merger( if and when it happens)

[Edited 2012-06-16 22:57:06]

[Edited 2012-06-16 23:22:44]
Next flight: TUL-ATL-CLT CRJ900 and MD88

PHX787

Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:00 am

I think a lot of flights will be moved to MIA but some of the high yield and O&D routes will stay at CLT.

Does LH still fly to CLT? Any other Euro carriers?
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

southwest737500
Topic Author

Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:05 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 1):

Yea LH flyies a daily A346 form Munich from march 29-october31 and then they fy a A333

boeing773er

Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:10 pm

Nope, no other euro carriers fly there between LH, I can't believe Swiss or Brussels isn't flying their yet. It is one of the most important *A hubs in the US.

Another questions: what is happening with the expansion that recently just got approved. Has construction started, or it when is it expected to start?
Work Hard, Fly Right.

RDUDDJI

Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:33 pm

Quoting Boeing773ER (Reply 3):
Nope, no other euro carriers fly there between LH, I can't believe Swiss or Brussels isn't flying their yet. It is one of the most important *A hubs in the US.

There's virtually zero demand for those carriers' hubs from CLT. They are barely able to serve the other eastern *A hubs in much larger markets (NYC, DC, CHI).

They should be thankful they have LH. I would say that route is in jeopardy if/when US/AA merge and drop out of the *A. On the flip side, they'd likely get a BA LHR flight or two post merger which would be nice.

It will be very interesting to see what happens to the Int'l flights if/when the merger occurs. It could either be really good for CLT, or they could move the Int'l traffic to higher demand hubs (MIA, NYC, etc.). Then use CLT for low revenue domestic traffic (similar to UA's DEN operation a few years ago). I suspect the GIG flight would be first to be axed, since it's already served from MIA (and there's little O&D demand from CLT).
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

southwest737500
Topic Author

Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:46 pm

Quoting rduddji (Reply 4):

I still think Swiss should be here

LOWS

Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:58 pm

Quoting southwest737500 (Reply 5):
I still think Swiss should be here

On what ground, other than „I think so?“

flyguy89

Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:41 pm

Quoting southwest737500 (Thread starter):
If US merges with AA could we possibly see a BA flight from heathrow

Probably yes, I could see this happening, it's the largest European OW hub and BA has served CLT before.

What does everyone think US European network will look after a merger( if and when it happens)

CLT is in a good position, because of it's unique nature it virtually ensures that it will remain a significant hub in either a stand-alone or merger scenario. However, if a merger with AA does happen, CLT officials should realize that there would be some significant changes. CLT would no longer be the central network focus of three hubs but rather one of eight hubs in a new network and would thus likely face significant route rationalization which would bring CLT more in line to play on it's core strengths as a largely domestic, North-South intra-South East hub with only a handful of flights to the major international destinations. Connecting traffic flows will be more spread out among PHL, JFK, MIA, ORD, and DFW, most of the niche Caribbean and Central American destinations would be discontinued along with GIG, LGW would of course be replaced with LHR, FRA would stay but DUB and FCO would go. I'm not sure about CDG, US is cutting the route but AA could possibly bring it back, MUC would also likely be discontinued. When all is said and done, I would expect a post-merger CLT hub to have ~400 daily flights with service to the major Caribbean leisure destinations as well as LHR, FRA, possibly CDG, and possibly MAD.

Quoting Boeing773ER (Reply 3):
I can't believe Swiss or Brussels isn't flying their yet.

Brussels is only just starting to fly to New York, why on earth would they fly to CLT?

LH would almost certainly discontinue CLT. The route does have a high-yield following, but nowhere near enough to justify continuing the route with no more feed at CLT and without having an aircraft smaller than an A333 to fly the route. Those pax could easily be rerouted over other Star Alliance hubs, and that's even assuming that those high-yield travelers on the route don't switch their allegiance to OW.

a/c dxer

Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:00 pm

If the merger happens the accountants will find a way to dehub Charlotte. Someone will jump on their mistake and Charlotte will be better for it.

southwest737500
Topic Author

Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:39 pm

Quoting LOWS (Reply 6):

Banking and it's a star hub

southwest737500
Topic Author

Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:42 pm

What aircraft would BA use,

777 in the winter ans possible 744 in the summer, just a thought

CZ346

Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:53 pm

If AA and US merge, CLT is going to become a focus city. End of discussion.

CLT has very little to offer. Even under 1W, why would BA favor CLT to JFK or MIA? JFK has the northeast and southeast covered, MIA has central and south america covered - its just not there.

No merger has EVER yielded growth at what would be considered a secondary hub. This situation would be no different.

flyguy89

Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:01 pm

Quoting CZ346 (Reply 11):

Sorry but that's a ridiculous notion. No, CLT does not have the O&D, but similar to SLC and DEN, ATL and CLT are the only two hubs than can effectively service the South East US, the CLT hub would bring a lot to the table regarding the domestic network. If you honestly believe they would just cede the South to DL....well then I don't know what to think lol.

southwest737500
Topic Author

Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:10 pm

Quoting flyguy89 (Reply 12):

What about theta north and south traffic

CLT will maintain its hub status.

CZ346

Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:20 pm

Focus city was probably a bit of a strong word to use, but it wouldn't see growth. It will see a decrease in traffic by all means....

flyguy89

Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:31 pm

Quoting CZ346 (Reply 14):

Focus city was probably a bit of a strong word to use, but it wouldn't see growth. It will see a decrease in traffic by all means....

Yes I agree, CLT will only see traffic decrease with a merger, I said it in another thread as well, but yes, mergers very seldom result in net growth, it's all about cost reductions and synergizing. Having said that, I still think CLT would remain a significant hub, not as large as it is now, but still a respectable size.

Quoting southwest737500 (Reply 13):
What about theta north and south traffic

North-South traffic doesn't make CLT unique in and of itself, many hubs can easily service North-South traffic. CLT's real strength lies in it's ability to serve the South East.

commavia

Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:32 pm

Quoting flyguy89 (Reply 7):
CLT is in a good position, because of it's unique nature it virtually ensures that it will remain a significant hub in either a stand-alone or merger scenario. However, if a merger with AA does happen, CLT officials should realize that there would be some significant changes. CLT would no longer be the central network focus of three hubs but rather one of eight hubs in a new network and would thus likely face significant route rationalization which would bring CLT more in line to play on it's core strengths as a largely domestic, North-South intra-South East hub with only a handful of flights to the major international destinations. Connecting traffic flows will be more spread out among PHL, JFK, MIA, ORD, and DFW, most of the niche Caribbean and Central American destinations would be discontinued along with GIG, LGW would of course be replaced with LHR, FRA would stay but DUB and FCO would go. I'm not sure about CDG, US is cutting the route but AA could possibly bring it back, MUC would also likely be discontinued. When all is said and done, I would expect a post-merger CLT hub to have ~400 daily flights with service to the major Caribbean leisure destinations as well as LHR, FRA, possibly CDG, and possibly MAD.

Agreed. CLT would probably settle at around 400 daily flights (total, mainline + regional), with a heavy emphasis on north-south connections and traffic in/out of the Atlantic Southeast. International would be focused on LHR and MAD for connections, plus the largest European O&D markets, and on the biggest O&D leisure markets in the Caribbean, with everything else moving elsewhere.

Quoting flyguy89 (Reply 7):
LH would almost certainly discontinue CLT. The route does have a high-yield following, but nowhere near enough to justify continuing the route with no more feed at CLT and without having an aircraft smaller than an A333 to fly the route.

I'm not so sure. There is a lot of economic and cultural exchange between Germany and the southeastern U.S. and lots of business traffic driven by deep industrial connections. I agree that absent a hub on the CLT end, an A330 does seem a bit large for such a market - but that might be a good candidate for a Privitair-type arrangement, perhaps.

chepos

Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:10 pm

If a merger between AA and US happens CLT will not be dehubbed and it will not become a focus city. Were do you people come up with these inane ideas? Give the SE to DL when CLT is the only alternative other than ATL to many markets in the region ?
LX and SN will not be flying to CLT anytime soon.
When did US announce that CDG-CLT was getting canned?

Regards,

Chepos

[Edited 2012-06-17 13:13:33]

[Edited 2012-06-17 13:14:11]

[Edited 2012-06-17 13:14:54]

[Edited 2012-06-17 13:15:59]
Fly the Flag!!!!

boberito6589

Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:14 pm

There is a rumor that US will be upgrading GIG route with a A332

This appears to be a true statement even though the schedule reflects 767. The flights capacity changes to a 332 starting on Oct 28, even though it still says its a 767.

HPRamper

Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:14 pm

CLT has very little to offer. Even under 1W, why would BA favor CLT to JFK or MIA? JFK has the northeast and southeast covered, MIA has central and south america covered - its just not there.

No merger has EVER yielded growth at what would be considered a secondary hub. This situation would be no different.

Except JFK doesn't have the Southeast covered, not with slot restrictions limiting domestic flights, and there's also its location - in the northeast.

CLT isn't a secondary hub. Even if lumped into the AA network it is still a strong #2. With a reduction, it would fall in line to around 400-500 flights - still competitive in size with most of the other large hubs in the country.

usflyer msp

Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:00 pm

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 19):
Except JFK doesn't have the Southeast covered, not with slot restrictions limiting domestic flights, and there's also its location - in the northeast.

Yeah, I don't know where people are getting this "everything is going to be moved to JFK" stuff from. AA has a grand total of 91 flights a day from JFK, which makes it less than 1/4 the size of PHL, less than 1/7 the size of CLT, and less than 1/2 the size of DCA. Add in JFK's slot restrictions and you will quickly figure out that not much (if anything) is going to be moved to JFK.

boeing773er

Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:01 pm

Quoting LOWS (Reply 6):

I personally think there has to be a good demand between CLT and Switzerland. The two are very large banking centers of the world. CLT is the second biggest banking center in the united states.

That is a horrible claim, it is US's largest hub, so to dehub that would really ruin the appeal of US, although they aren't being overtaken. I can not see Doug Parker (assuming he will be CEO) he will certainly not dehub his crown jewel. That there is huge demand in CLT, and a lot of it being premium demand.

I don't understand this huge myth of this website that if AA/US merge CLT will be done.
Work Hard, Fly Right.

southwest737500
Topic Author

Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:04 pm

Quoting usflyer msp (Reply 20):

Thanks guys. I was reading how Doug Parker said CLT will be a key role and CLT will be fine. He made that comment after CLT announced there 1 billion dollar expansion

southwest737500
Topic Author

Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:07 pm

Quoting commavia (Reply 16):

Maybe air Berlin

southwest737500
Topic Author

Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:09 pm

Quoting chepos (Reply 17):

There not canning CDG just for the winter, there not ending it

Bobloblaw

Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:11 pm

I think a lot of flights will be moved to MIA but some of the high yield and O&D routes will stay at CLT.

Could CLT-GIG be moved to CLT-GRU?

Bobloblaw

Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:13 pm

Sorry no end of discussion. Name for me the third largest hub in the United States in terms of daily departures????

CLT traffic cannot be replaced by DFW/ORD/MIA or JFK. END OF DISCUSSION

southwest737500
Topic Author

Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:19 pm

Quoting bobloblaw (Reply 26):

Well said buddy  

AS739BSI

Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:19 pm

I think CLT would be right-sized under an AA US merger just like IAH is going to be for UA and was predicted to be. Optimize the strengths of the network.

flyguy89

Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:04 pm

Quoting commavia (Reply 16):
There is a lot of economic and cultural exchange between Germany and the southeastern U.S. and lots of business traffic driven by deep industrial connections. I agree that absent a hub on the CLT end, an A330 does seem a bit large for such a market - but that might be a good candidate for a Privitair-type arrangement, perhaps.

Cultural ties don't really mean a whole lot as far as flights are concerned. Both Pittsburgh and Cincinnati have strong cultural ties to Germany and at one time supported successfull flights to FRA, but when the feed is no longer there and O&D can't fill up more than 40% of the plane, the case for the flights kind of falls apart. I'm aware of the Privatair operation, but unless BMW specifically contracts out for the flights, there are probably more profitable premium routes they can be used on.

Quoting Boeing773ER (Reply 21):
Quoting LOWS (Reply 6):

I personally think there has to be a good demand between CLT and Switzerland. The two are very large banking centers of the world. CLT is the second biggest banking center in the united states.

Well you kind of said it there yourself accidentally. Charlotte is a large AMERICAN banking center but is not the global financial center that Switzerland is. Additionally, the majority of Bank of America's European offices are in London, not Switzerland, so there wouldn't be much traffic between Charlotte and Zurich. Swiss's ZRH hub also caters to the same traffic flows as FRA and MUC, so a flight ZRH really would bring nothing at all to the table.

myth of this website that if AA/US merge CLT will be done.

It's not some a.net "myth" or conspiracy, I've counted all of two posters who have ever outright claimed that CLT would be de-hubbed (including this one). I can assure you, the general consensus is that CLT will NOT be de-hubbed.

Quoting southwest737500 (Reply 24):
Quoting chepos (Reply 17):

There not canning CDG just for the winter, there not ending it

Well it was zero'd out in the schedules after this summer, but haven't seen a return date for it.

Sorry no end of discussion. Name for me the third largest hub in the United States in terms of daily departures?

While I definitely don't think CLT will be de-hubbed, you have to realize this metric means absolutely nothing regarding the fate of CLT in an AA merger as CLT would have a new, different role in a combined AA network than it currently does in US's network.

jmc1975

Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:14 pm

I can not see Doug Parker (assuming he will be CEO) he will certainly not dehub his crown jewel.

Just because it's a crown jewel for US doesn't mean it would be for a combined US/AA. The dynamics of the airline change under a merger. In the end, expect CLT at 350-400 flights/day.

Quoting bobloblaw (Reply 25):

Could CLT-GIG be moved to CLT-GRU?

It could, but why would it? Especially if there are nonstops from MIA, DFW & JFK?

Quoting AS739BSI (Reply 28):
I think CLT would be right-sized under an AA US merger just like IAH is going to be for UA and was predicted to be. Optimize the strengths of the network.

Very good points.

Bobloblaw

Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:52 pm

Quoting jmc1975 (Reply 30):
It could, but why would it? Especially if there are nonstops from MIA, DFW & JFK?

Isnt that true of GIG as well? GRU has good business ties with the SE.

No one has mentioned that perhaps it is MIA that might get right sized with a US merger. Not that MIA would lose international service, but some of the ERJs that are flying from MIA to the midwest/SE might be re-routed to CLT. Especially if those cities are producing mostly Caribbean connections and not Deep South connections. Why fly those pax an additional 600 miles on an inefficient 50 seater for no additional revenue??? If they are going to SXM, AUA etc, flow them over CLT, not MIA.

n782nc

Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:54 pm

For much of US Air's history, Pittsburgh was it's crown jewel, and look at the result. In the airline industry, anything that makes business sense can and most likely will happen.
Stairway to Seven

boeing773er

Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:54 pm

Quoting flyguy89 (Reply 29):
It's not some a.net "myth" or conspiracy, I've counted all of two posters who have ever outright claimed that CLT would be de-hubbed (including this one). I can assure you, the general consensus is that CLT will NOT be de-hubbed.

I've seen many people claim this, in the AA/US merger thread the claim "CLT will be de-hubbed/majorly downsized in a US/AA merger" has been repeated in many, many posts.

I don't know if the general consensus follows that belief; but the people who have that opinion that it will be de-hubbed stick to it.
Work Hard, Fly Right.

chepos

Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:21 pm

Quoting Boeing773ER (Reply 33):
I've seen many people claim this, in the AA/US merger thread the claim "CLT will be de-hubbed/majorly downsized in a US/AA merger" has been repeated in many, many posts.

I don't know if the general consensus follows that belief; but the people who have that opinion that it will be de-hubbed stick to it.

You have not been around this website for long, I have been here 11 years. I can tell you this, half the time some posters don't have a clue what they post but they seem like they are experts- they just post hearsay and assumptions. Lots of assuming goes on in this website, again even if if they don't have much to base it on. Take most of the things you read around here with a grain of salt. If the poster is completely opposed to any proposed AA/US hookup they will insist CLT will disappear in the blink of an eye, no matter which way you slice or dice it.

Asuming CLT is going to be dehubbed is idiotic, comparing CLT to PIT is ebsurd.

Regards,

Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

southwest737500
Topic Author

Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:22 pm

Quoting Boeing773ER (Reply 33):

I understand people have opinions but then there is just common sense. It's funny because Doug Parker will CEO (probably) and he stated In the Charlotte observer that a US AA merger that may happen will not Hurt CLT. He also said how inexpensive it is tolerate out of CLT. You guys should be more worried about PHX and PHL

The only reason I say PHL is because US threaten to cut flights because how expensive it is to operate and how PHL wants to increase fees so they can build another runway. That runway is suppose to cost 1 billion ( I think) CLT announced a 1 billion expansion. New terminal,new runway, light rail,parking garage etc... You know why it's that cheap to get all of that is because CLT owns a lot of land

southwest737500
Topic Author

Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:24 pm

Quoting bobloblaw (Reply 31):

I totally agre with you. This should get interesting

southwest737500
Topic Author

Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:26 pm

Quoting flyguy89 (Reply 29):

I don't think they extended there schedule but I think it restarts in April

southwest737500
Topic Author

Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:28 pm

Maybe CLT could get a direct flight to TUL,OKC

QANTAS747-438

Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:31 pm

I hear there will be an AUG 12 announcement of WN starting service into CLT with their own metal. No word on a start date.

I found it in an article on a Charlotte news site. Don't remember where...

[Edited 2012-06-17 16:40:52]
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

southwest737500
Topic Author

Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:35 pm

Quoting QANTAS747-438 (Reply 39):

Seriously, keep me posted. That's great

HPRamper

Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:39 pm

Quoting southwest737500 (Reply 38):
Maybe CLT could get a direct flight to TUL,OKC

Not if AA merges with US. Otherwise, maybe.

If there is a merger I would expect DFW to continue to handle OKC and TUL given the proximity and the excellent feed into the DFW hub with which to fill flights.

If no merger, it would be nice to see US return at least to OKC. They dropped PHX-OKC once because WN owns the route, but I think those would both be good markets for the E190.

southwest737500
Topic Author

Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:40 pm

Quoting QANTAS747-438 (Reply 39):

FL is ending there CLT-MCO flight so maybe WN will announce service to MCO and maybe MDW

boeing773er

Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:45 pm

Quoting chepos (Reply 34):

But irregardless how long I have been around this AA/US merger speculation has begun after I joined. Plus I have been watching the site before I joined for about a year. Now, that isn't close to 11 years, but I have been around long enough to pick up on the popular rumors and speculations. But, I have read this rumor numerous times. Irregardless, who ever posts it doesn't have much evidence to prove what they are saying.

I still think it is an absurd rumor that has been going around; but I don't believe in.
Work Hard, Fly Right.

Cubsrule

Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:50 am

Quoting southwest737500 (Reply 35):
It's funny because Doug Parker will CEO (probably) and he stated In the Charlotte observer that a US AA merger that may happen will not Hurt CLT.

. . . and DL/NW and UA/CO promised not to close hubs. And WN/FL promised not to cut cities. Talk is cheap.

No one has mentioned that perhaps it is MIA that might get right sized with a US merger. Not that MIA would lose international service, but some of the ERJs that are flying from MIA to the midwest/SE might be re-routed to CLT.

To me, the hubs of a combined AA/US look worlds better than UA or DL for serving the southeast. AA/US has not only the hub in the midst of the region (CLT) but also huge hubs ringing the region (PHL, DFW, MIA). DL has the huge hub in the midst of the region and UA arguably has the southeast surrounded, but neither has the combination.

Quoting jmc1975 (Reply 30):
The dynamics of the airline change under a merger. In the end, expect CLT at 350-400 flights/day.

I just don't see where that many lost frequencies come from. It's not like CLT has multiple daily nonstops to ANU or GEO, nor do the marginal Caribbean destinations that most presume will be cut prop up that many of CLT's other flights. That's a cut of about 30 percent of flights. Which 30 percent?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

compensateme

Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:55 am

Quoting southwest737500 (Reply 42):
FL is ending there CLT-MCO flight so maybe WN will announce service to MCO

WN's cutting most of FL's service to MCO.
Gordo:like this streaming video,Sky magazine,meals for sale at mealtime-make customer satisfaction rank so high at UA

southwest737500
Topic Author

Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:56 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 44):

Agreed but there was a lot of factors for that

jmc1975

Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:00 am

Not that MIA would lose international service, but some of the ERJs that are flying from MIA to the midwest/SE might be re-routed to CLT.
CLT traffic cannot be replaced by DFW/ORD/MIA or JFK. END OF DISCUSSION

But actually, alot of it can be...particularly international

Not that MIA would lose international service, but some of the ERJs that are flying from MIA to the midwest/SE might be re-routed to CLT.

CLT is already way over-saturated with 50-seat flying....it's not efficient in the long run going forward.

Why fly those pax an additional 600 miles on an inefficient 50 seater for no additional revenue???

Elimination of CLT capacity would boost yields of MIA flows and go to offset said inefficiencies.

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 44):
Which 30 percent?

Those you mentioned, plus a reduction in frequency/capacity to a number of domestic markets.

compensateme

Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:04 am

Quoting jmc1975 (Reply 47):
Elimination of CLT capacity would boost yields of MIA flows and go to offset said inefficiencies.

MIA has one of the nation's highest cost per passenger; CLT one of the lowest. Plenty of incentive to maintain CLT - resort destinations in Latin America & the Caribbean.

Also worth mentioning that the dynamics of DFW will probably change in the upcoming years as AA's allowed to fly a larger number of 70-seat regional jets and adds aircraft with smaller seating capacity than the MD-80. No doubt DFW, status quo, will be a smaller hub post-bankruptcy.
Gordo:like this streaming video,Sky magazine,meals for sale at mealtime-make customer satisfaction rank so high at UA

southwest737500
Topic Author

Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:04 am

Quoting jmc1975 (Reply 47):

Regionals arent suppose to make a profit. CLT is not over saturated with CRJ. That is how they feed there flights